Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 77 8.17%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 635 67.41%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 21 2.23%
I paid too much for my Membership! 44 4.67%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.34%
Don't want anything to do with them! 143 15.18%
Voters: 942. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2019, 5:23 PM

Not weird at all.
I leave my sport ears in even for dry practice, I had a student look at me funny for doing so and I said to him, "it's not that I don't trust you guys, but I don't trust you guys."
Old 06-24-2019, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northridgegun View Post
Sold! When's the best time to go? Summer too hot? Is it all day training?
To echo what others have said, summer and winter aren't the best times as they can sap your energy and take away from the fun of the classes/training. We went at the end of April and it was cool in the morning and it heated up in the afternoon. Sunscreen and covered clothing are vital. Wear layers.

The place runs like a well-oiled machine. VERY organized and everyone is very nice and friendly. Not sure if they still have it, but they had the machine-gun shoot during lunch on the first day. What a hoot!!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 06-25-2019, 6:44 AM

Yup, fun gun shoot is still there on day 1 during lunch.
Old 06-25-2019, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
Yup, fun gun shoot is still there on day 1 during lunch.
I wonder if they are now going to change the price of the "fun shoot" now that we have zillions of points to spend. Either that or limit the number of mags you can shoot.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post
I'm sure some people think I'm weird, but I always have ear pro on when doing "dry fire" manipulation drills at the line. It's not for myself.
Ditto for me.

After 40+ years of shooting (always with hearing protection) and 25 years around running jet engines with some regularity I have significant hearing loss. Particularly high pitched tones and noisy rooms.

I've been riding the line for a few years needing hearing aids and I'm trying to put them off as long as is practical.
Old 06-25-2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
I used a small keychain light on a lanyard around my neck to use as a secondary light for administrative use. A red one would help with night vision. I like my weapons light to be simple on/off, one click, one brightness.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That's not a bad idea. I agree re the simple on/off. That's why I'm picking up a Malkoff with a twist bezel for high/lo modes. During admin I intend to use it on low. During firing sessions it should activate only on high. Simple clicky tailcap with momentary on functionality.
Old 06-25-2019, 3:42 PM

Quote:
I keep wanting to take the ATHG with a WML but that just seems to easy so I force myself to use a handheld light for extra practice.
Wouldn't hurt to have both a handheld and WML on you, then you at least have the option to train both methods if you wanted to. I did half and half during the THG night shoot.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXstasy View Post
Wouldn't hurt to have both a handheld and WML on you, then you at least have the option to train both methods if you wanted to. I did half and half during the THG night shoot.
Agreed. I tried WML for a bit, but it was too easy; muay like shooting in daylight
Old 06-28-2019, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Wife and I just finished TACT HG and ATHG, weather was good, temps slightly below normal, but windy as hell. Had a great group, which made it fun.

Have a day off, weapons maintenance, then 2 night HGSB.

Pro shop empty, no construction going on.

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 06-28-2019, 9:31 PM

[QUOTE=LCU1670;23155563]Wife and I just finished TACT HG and ATHG, weather was good, temps slightly below normal, but windy as hell. Had a great group, which made it fun.

Have a day off, weapons maintenance, then 2 night HGSB.

Pro shop empty, no construction going on.[/QUOTE

Dr. Iggy is supposed to be on site for 7 days next week, maybe heíll do something about that empty pro shop.
Old 07-03-2019, 6:02 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like will be a slow, pre 4th, night. Only had about 125 people total on property, and not many kids.

Old 07-03-2019, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

Mind reporting out about the meeting consider going next year as it will tie into the weekend.
Old 07-03-2019, 7:31 AM

I just canceled attending
Please report back
Ask Dr. Piazza How many Total Patronage Points are outstanding currently and how many does he project by year end?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 9:06 AM

There were only 9 people total in my 2 night defensive handgun class last night.
Old 07-03-2019, 6:52 PM

Wasn't sure if everyone had seen this.

https://www.ignatius-piazza-front-si...rick-castillo/

You fight until you stop breathing or you go home.
That day God called Kendrick home.

RIP Sir.
Old 07-03-2019, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

Saw that story when it happened and that young man did well. I know he is missed but I am sure his family is proud of their of their son and the kids he saved will always remember him.
Old 07-03-2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Wasn't sure if everyone had seen this.

https://www.ignatius-piazza-front-si...rick-castillo/

You fight until you stop breathing or you go home.
That day God called Kendrick home.

RIP Sir.
Wow.... feels surreal to have trained at a place where a hero trained
Old 07-03-2019, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Saw that story when it happened and that young man did well. I know he is missed but I am sure his family is proud of their of their son and the kids he saved will always remember him.
Kudos to that young man and it must be a proud thing for the father to know that his son died doing the right thing. Such a contrast to the coward of Broward.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-04-2019, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mind reporting out about the meeting consider going next year as it will tie into the weekend.
Dr P mainly said, to get your friends involved and upgrading into Front Sight. And if you want to stop repeated email offers, the take advantage of them when you get them.

Pro shop was empty.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
Dr P mainly said, to get your friends involved and upgrading into Front Sight. And if you want to stop repeated email offers, the take advantage of them when you get them.

Pro shop was empty.
Thanks for the update. Not sure I agree with the last part though. I continue to get offers for the same stuff even after I have acted to accept the offer.

Also, one other thought. Is anyone other than me bothered by the language in the emails for the legal fund? It rubs me the wrong way to say I may somehow not be a patriot if I don't give money to the fund. In my mind this is way off base. It was not us (the membership) that chose to give a consulting contract to someone to raise money for the building of the resort. It was not us that didn't do enough research to find out this guy was a flake. This was purely a FS decision. Good or bad, it was their choice, we did not have a say in it either way. Now it turns out to be bad and we have to help bail it out. Based on the impressions in the thousands of emails, FS is self funded by all of us giving more money for memberships, upgrades and peer to peer selling. I guess that was not the case.

Perhaps I can give points?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Whoa hold on there North Bay, let me get this straight, you actually read the emails?😁
Old 07-05-2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
Thanks for the update. Not sure I agree with the last part though. I continue to get offers for the same stuff even after I have acted to accept the offer.

Also, one other thought. Is anyone other than me bothered by the language in the emails for the legal fund? It rubs me the wrong way to say I may somehow not be a patriot if I don't give money to the fund. In my mind this is way off base. It was not us (the membership) that chose to give a consulting contract to someone to raise money for the building of the resort. It was not us that didn't do enough research to find out this guy was a flake. This was purely a FS decision. Good or bad, it was their choice, we did not have a say in it either way. Now it turns out to be bad and we have to help bail it out. Based on the impressions in the thousands of emails, FS is self funded by all of us giving more money for memberships, upgrades and peer to peer selling. I guess that was not the case.

Perhaps I can give points?

I think it was clear a long time ago that FS was not self-funded or else there would have been a lot of things already built by now. Truthfully speaking I would believe that you, me, and almost everyone else already knows that.

It does suck however that the emails are written in a way to appear that if you donít contribute you donít support FS when it actually appears that the emails and revenue generated from them seem to be benefitting Dr. P more than anyone else.

I made a decision to not contribute anymore money as I too felt the same way you do but decided to speak with my wallet rather than try to complain to FS. I guess everyone has to make up their own mind about FS heading forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa p View Post
I think it was clear a long time ago that FS was not self-funded or else there would have been a lot of things already built by now. Truthfully speaking I would believe that you, me, and almost everyone else already knows that.

It does suck however that the emails are written in a way to appear that if you donít contribute you donít support FS when it actually appears that the emails and revenue generated from them seem to be benefitting Dr. P more than anyone else.

I made a decision to not contribute anymore money as I too felt the same way you do but decided to speak with my wallet rather than try to complain to FS. I guess everyone has to make up their own mind about FS heading forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right, I think we all know that FS was not going to be built using money from upgrades. But, the good doctor continued to say that was the case. When this legal thing came up, I was surprised he came out and said he was burned by some con man. But then to ask us, the membership to give cash for legal fees, when we were not in this decision is just BS. The pulling on your patriot heart strings is just too much. I guess if I don't give him cash to fix his mistake, I must have voted for Hilary or Obama.

I have also voted with my wallet with them. If I am not directly benefited, like private training, no upgrades for me.
Old 07-05-2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Whoa hold on there North Bay, let me get this straight, you actually read the emails?😁
Yep, I keep hoping one day I will get an email saying we all get to cash in the tremendous success of FS. The doctor is giving you one dollar (american money) for each point you have via direct deposit..... You can then use that money for ammo background checks and to shoot down as many flying pigs as you desire....
Old 07-06-2019, 4:15 AM

Anyone near the Earthquake zone? Hope everyone is OK? Wonder if it was felt in Parhump?
Old 07-06-2019, 4:34 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Anyone near the Earthquake zone? Hope everyone is OK? Wonder if it was felt in Parhump?
Yep they felt the Ridgecrest quakes and even had their own 4.5 quake yesterday morning.

https://pvtimes.com/news/powerful-7-...pahrump-72327/

https://www.ktnv.com/news/45-magnitu...shakes-pahrump

Old 07-10-2019, 8:34 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Looks a Pahrump man may have been killed by the July 4th earthquake.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/officials-...ry?id=64234099

Old 07-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Just bit the bullet and upgraded to President. So far I already have two private blocks set up... around New Years. Oh well, better then being there in summer...
For reference, here are the FS private training guidelines from the email I received:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need a 30-days notice to schedule private training. Youmay book up to 4 consecutive days, based on availability.

I can book up to 6-months in advance. At the beginning ofeach month I open up a new month, six months out, to schedule. Please keep in mindthat our cooler months (spring and fall) are our busy months and they fill upquickly.

There are classes that we are not able to do in privatetraining. Here is the list:

- Advanced Tactical Handgun

- Tactical Scenarios

- Advanced Integrated Handgun

- 4 Gun Tactical

- Rope & Rappel

- Any Night courses

- Precision Rifle Fundamentals

- Tactical Awareness

- Armorer’s

- Any class room classes

- Tracking point

- Instructor Development
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was told that they stick to standard class curriculums (so no 3 gun, etc.), but things may be more flexible on the range (depending on the RM). Can anyone else add their $.02 to that?
Old 07-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

I upgraded about a year ago and will be going out in September to do a tactical handgun. One thing other thing you can do is to go int the class knowing what you want to work on say draw and presentation and then concentrate on that aspect. Granted it is a portion of a class but we all struggle in one aspect or another and it is good to work with someone to identify issues and mistakes then correct them. Looking forward to my upcoming class.
One last thing, for every two days of a standard class you are wanting to take it will be reduced by a day as you are only waiting on yourself.
Old 07-20-2019, 7:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This should be an interesting weekend. I am headed to Front Sight this morning to attend the shotgun skill builder. I got notification last week that starting time for both days will be at 0600. That's gonna be rough!

I am staying at the Best Western Oasis this trip. I usually like to stay at Saddle West but my last stay there was totally disgusting.

I will provide a range report when I return on Tuesday.

BTW - I'm tentatively planning on a trip there in November for the handgun skill builder if anybody is interested in going.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Range Safety Officer - South Bay Rod and Gun Club www.sbrgc.org
Old 07-20-2019, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
This should be an interesting weekend. I am headed to Front Sight this morning to attend the shotgun skill builder. I got notification last week that starting time for both days will be at 0600. That's gonna be rough!

I am staying at the Best Western Oasis this trip. I usually like to stay at Saddle West but my last stay there was totally disgusting.

I will provide a range report when I return on Tuesday.

BTW - I'm tentatively planning on a trip there in November for the handgun skill builder if anybody is interested in going.
Diver, are they then giving you an extra hour for lunch breaks? If they do, it seems they are trying to avoid training during the hottest part of the day. I canít imagine going to FS in the summer. Once we took a class in September, and the heat was miserable.

My wife will be in a HGSB in November while Iíll be in Rifle Marksmanship SB. Look for a jealous husband with a Calguns button on his hat
LOL

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-20-2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Diver, are they then giving you an extra hour for lunch breaks? If they do, it seems they are trying to avoid training during the hottest part of the day. I canít imagine going to FS in the summer. Once we took a class in September, and the heat was miserable.
I did a rifle skill builder or two last summer. Yeah, they cut you off at lunch because of the heat. You gotta be pretty hardcore to want to be training in those conditions
Old 07-20-2019, 4:13 PM

diverwcw: good luck and have fun in your class. As already mentioned, the early start time is because they cut you loose early due to the heat.
stay hydrated and enjoy the training.

let us know how it goes.
I'm headed out there for a week in the middle of August.
Old 07-20-2019, 7:10 PM

Had a great day out at FS today. Just a bit warm, but light breeze kept it comfortable.

Summer Private classes are 6AM - noon.

We did 1-day Private HCM, got in 7 tests..