Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-22-2011, 7:12 PM
Banned

Default Is Andrew Cuomo nuts?

Yeah, this'll work.

"Gov. Andrew Cuomo calls for shutting state prisons, investing in community in light of gun violence"

http://tinyurl.com/6c6jgvy
Old 09-22-2011, 7:56 PM

Just what we need; Harvard educated thugs.
Old 09-22-2011, 8:54 PM

If those "local programs" include mandatory sterilization for violent criminals, then they probably won't need so many juvenile detention centers.
Old 09-22-2011, 9:59 PM

Yeah, he's certifiably nuts...

Quote:
"This recent rash of gun violence should concern us all, because it's frightening and it's only getting worse," Cuomo said at a Harlem breakfast to kick off the African-American Day Parade.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...#ixzz1YkfvwTRC
He's a political whore, the black community as a voting block, believes that they are disproportionately represented in the prison system, so this scumbag will blame the gun instead of the person, people in turn will pay him for relieving their conscience as accountable family members.

Make sure you vote in that poll..seems Cuomo's message isn't resonating.
Old 09-23-2011, 5:49 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, he's nuttier than a candy bar.

And so are 27% of the people voting in that poll.

The Raisuli

WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
Old 09-23-2011, 6:02 AM

They should check to see how much the cable tv bill for prisoners costs... Or how much the gym and education system for the prisons cost... Stop treat those who are incarcerated like normal people and treat them like prisoners
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
Old 09-23-2011, 6:17 AM
Veteran Member

To answer the OP's question: Yes
If they are spending 200k per person per year they should look into more "rustic" conditions to save costs.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 09-23-2011, 6:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulay El Raisuli View Post
Crazy like a fox.

Government is among the few human institutions that gain more by failure than by success. If crime goes up, then the taxpayers are willing to pay more and surrender more freedom for "protection".
Old 09-23-2011, 6:37 AM
Veteran Member

short answer . . . .no. He, along with left-overs from the early 60s, still cling to the Hudson Manifesto fantasy that "man is inherently good and character is totally dependent on environment" pablum.
Old 09-23-2011, 7:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Is the Pope Catholic?
Old 09-23-2011, 7:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah02 View Post
If they are spending 200k per person per year they should look into more "rustic" conditions to save costs.
I've seen some rather promising "rustic" sites in Russia, China and parts of Mexico...
Old 09-23-2011, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I've seen some rather promising "rustic" sites in Russia, China and parts of Mexico...
I see an outsourcing opportunity here. They could making tennis shoes in China. Win-win.
Old 09-23-2011, 8:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleKnight View Post
I see an outsourcing opportunity here. They could making tennis shoes in China. Win-win.
...instead of the 7 year old Chinese children working under horrible conditions. win-win-win
Old 09-23-2011, 8:30 AM

Yes. But where he lives in fantasy land I guess he's normal.

Buy more ammo and be ready when the impending zombie hoards attack!
Old 09-23-2011, 8:43 AM

Let the criminals out of prison, give them an University education and take guns from law abiding folk. What could go wrong?

Romans 1:16 - 32

Old 09-23-2011, 8:56 AM

No he's a crazy and stupid whore, nothing new to see here as far as politicians go.

My only questions are...

Why is it that the only place the money for education can come from is the jail system?

If he wanted money for something he really cared about, like his re-election campaign, do you think he could find more than one source for the funding?
Old 09-23-2011, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

New York State is like Narnia in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe: winter lasts for hundreds of years, the government is evil incarnate, and when you step outside of it you immediately see that it's not part of reality.
Old 09-23-2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
New York State is like Narnia in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe: winter lasts for hundreds of years, the government is evil incarnate, and when you step outside of it you immediately see that it's not part of reality.
Sig material.
Old 09-23-2011, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatikdonn View Post
They should check to see how much the cable tv bill for prisoners costs... Or how much the gym and education system for the prisons cost... Stop treat those who are incarcerated like normal people and treat them like prisoners
The only problem with this is that they get out some day, and if they are treated like animals (which they are) and learn to be animals inside (which they do), they will continue to act like animals once they get back out.

Cable, lifting weights and education are feeble, ineffective efforts to keep institutional order and help the very few who actually want to avoid a life of crime. Taking this away won't help and might hurt.

The prisons are broken and the problem is exactly that we need to treat prisoners like human beings -- hold them accountable for their actions, teach them right and wrong like their parents should have done, and help them develop a strong motivation to never return to prison.

Note that I'm not suggesting at all that this treatment should be pleasant.
Old 09-23-2011, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekside View Post
The only problem with this is that they get out some day, and if they are treated like animals (which they are) and learn to be animals inside (which they do), they will continue to act like animals once they get back out.

Cable, lifting weights and education are feeble, ineffective efforts to keep institutional order and help the very few who actually want to avoid a life of crime. Taking this away won't help and might hurt.

The prisons are broken and the problem is exactly that we need to treat prisoners like human beings -- hold them accountable for their actions, teach them right and wrong like their parents should have done, and help them develop a strong motivation to never return to prison.

Note that I'm not suggesting at all that this treatment should be pleasant.

You clearly haven't seen some of the episodes of "Lockup" that I have. The combination of easy access to drugs on the street and brains that appear to be wired or conditioned (doesn't really matter which) for violence, paranoia and extreme anti-social behavior means that a large percentage of these criminals were animals before they ever received their first prison sentence. I do not believe prisons create criminals, and I do not believe a large percentage of the criminals will ever become productive members of society. IMHO, the trick is figuring out which of them are in the portion that *can* be helped - without wasting time and (my) money on the portion that are hopeless cases.

Until we have the freezers from Demolition Man to warehouse prisoners as corpsycles, or we can ship them off to the planet Creamatoria, I think we're in a lose-lose situation...
Old 09-23-2011, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Send them to Australia?
Old 09-23-2011, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Send them to Australia?
Well, I hear there IS a large portion of their interior that they aren't using very much, seeing as it's a gigantic desert wasteland made more so by a lengthy drought.

If we ship them there, do we also have to give them water?

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Actually, I think there's some good things to be said for the "penal colony" concept. It seems to have worked out pretty well for Australia. Fictional penal colonies have usually been depicted in a much more negative light - including the aforementioned Creamatoria (Chronicles of Riddick), Devil's Island (Pappillion), The Moon (The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress), Klingon Planet Rura Penthe (Star Trek VI) and, of course, both New York and Los Angeles (Escape from New York and Escape from Los Angeles).

I suspect that one of the primary requirements for success is lots of space - let them get far away from each other and perhaps a real society might eventually rise.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 PM

This is concrete proof that you have to be certifiably crazy to support gun control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulay El Raisuli View Post

And so are 27% of the people voting in that poll.

The Raisuli
I'm sure those 27% have been to, are currently in, or know they are headed to prison at some point in their lives; so to them, it would be a Godsend for them to be abolished. Then, these programs can just cater to and validate their victim mentalility so they don't have to own up to what they did and take responsibility for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I will NOT be a part of a civil rights movement which contains its own version of "P.C."
5-23-11 The day the Sleeping Giant awoke.

"...What in the world is a moderate interpretation of a constitutional text? Halfway between what it says and what we'd like it to say?"
-A. Scalia 2005
Old 09-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Devil's Island is not fictional.In use up to 1952.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah02 View Post
Andrew Cuomo only needs to look to Arizona if funding is the issue.

Sheriff Joe can feed guilty inmates cheaper than the innocent dogs that are cared for by inmates.

Quote:
• Elected Maricopa County sheriff in 1993 and re-elected to five four-year terms. Maricopa now has the nation's third largest sheriff's office. The inmate population has more than doubled during his tenure and now tops 10,000.

• Began the nation's first female and juvenile chain gangs.

• Claiming that pink is psychologically calming, has ordered Maricopa County inmates to wear pink underwear; Arpaio also uses pink handcuffs.

• Boasts that he has eliminated almost every comfort from county jails, including basketball, coffee, salt, pepper and movies. Inmates' TV choices are limited to networks such as the Disney Channel and C-SPAN.

• Says he provides the cheapest prisoner meals in the U.S., at just 15� each. He also reduced meals in the country's prisons to two a day, to save on labor costs. Inadequate meals were one reason a federal judge ruled against Arpaio and the county in 2008, finding that they violated prisoners' constitutional rights by depriving them of appropriate health care and housing them in unsanitary conditions. The judge noted that many inmates were forced to eat moldy bread and rotten fruit.

• Created a tent city to house more inmates at lower cost. Installed a neon sign on a guard tower that reads "Vacancy."

• In 2005, ordered nearly 700 maximum-security prisoners to march four blocks to a new jail facility wearing only pink underwear and flip-flops. "It's a security issue," Arpaio said.

• A consistently popular Republican, he has won all of his sheriff's elections by double digits.

• Has faced numerous complaints from Amnesty International, the ACLU and other rights groups. His office is being investigated by the Justice Department for alleged discrimination and unconstitutional searches and seizures.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz1Yr0Os678

Last edited by Trailboss60; 09-23-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Old 09-24-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank 57 View Post
Devil's Island is not fictional.In use up to 1952.
True! Devil's Island was absolutely a real French penal colony. I meant the story of Papillion itself - and after a quick google, I see that Papillion was a very poor choice to use as an example. The author of the book claimed it was an autobiography, but some history scholars expressed considerable doubt about the truth of the details for the timeframe of the story.

So... Can we just substitute the prison planet Fiorina Fury 161 from the movie Alien 3? Or maybe the island Absolum from the movie No Escape? Absolum was pretty bad - most of the prisoners had turned into cannibals!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:56 AM

One of my buddies called Arapaio (sp?) a media whore. This was a while ago. The thing is, the more I read and hear about him, the more I like the guy. It is prison/jail/confinement because these guys did something wrong. I don't see why they should get free cable when I have to pay for mine and I have done nothing wrong. A lot of this social justice crap has got to go out the window before it bankrupts us even further down that whole we as a whole can't seem to dig ourselves out of to begin with.
Old 09-24-2011, 6:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarville View Post
Crazy like a fox.

Government is among the few human institutions that gain more by failure than by success. If crime goes up, then the taxpayers are willing to pay more and surrender more freedom for "protection".

All true. But that doesn't mean that the proposal isn't completely freakin' nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni.dori View Post
This is concrete proof that you have to be certifiably crazy to support gun control.

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni.dori View Post
I'm sure those 27% have been to, are currently in, or know they are headed to prison at some point in their lives; so to them, it would be a Godsend for them to be abolished. Then, these programs can just cater to and validate their victim mentalility so they don't have to own up to what they did and take responsibility for it.

That equals a LOT of criminals.

OTOH, this is New York........

The Raisuli

WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
Old 09-24-2011, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

"The city and the state really need to understand that there's a culture that brings violence. They need to understand that the problem is systemic,"

Yup. It's a culture of complete fail created by the US Government and affirmative action.
Old 09-24-2011, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
One of my buddies called Arapaio (sp?) a media whore. This was a while ago. The thing is, the more I read and hear about him, the more I like the guy. It is prison/jail/confinement because these guys did something wrong. I don't see why they should get free cable when I have to pay for mine and I have done nothing wrong. A lot of this social justice crap has got to go out the window before it bankrupts us even further down that whole we as a whole can't seem to dig ourselves out of to begin with.
He is that for sure...he uses the office to promote himself, and inserts himself into events, but he stands by his convictions and is pretty relentless when he does something like his crime suppression sweeps.

When a judge required Sheriff Joe to give cable tv, he gave them the Disney channel and the weather channel, when a reporter asked him why the weather channel, he said so they can see how hot it is going to be in tent city tomorrow. When he was asked if he thought that it was cruel of him to put prisoners in tents in the desert, he replied that our military people live the same way and they haven't done anything wrong.

You either love or hate the guy...most people approve of him.