Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-05-2018, 2:53 PM

Sinclair ZX80
Old 05-05-2018, 9:57 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Default Remember your first...?

My first was an Atari 400, and I still have it along with an Atari tape drive which was its only storage option.

I later had an Atari 1200xl, then onto IBM clones like 286, 386, etc.
I remember the old modems like 300 baud and how awesome it was to jump to 1200 and 2400 baud. You could download that new text-based game is just a few hours, as long as nobody picked up another phone extension in your house.

That first Atari 400 got me interested in BASIC programming which led to dabbling in other programming languages like Pascal and Fortran. That led to a career in IT and I still use VBA to enhance ERP systems (VBA is the only language that is built to this particular ERP system). Most of my time these days is spent with T-SQL.

Last edited by rdfact; 05-06-2018 at 7:42 AM..
Old 05-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Formerly Gecko45
CGN Contributor

Tandy TRS-80, early 80's, wrote a russian roulette program and had the Zaxxon game for the tape deck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mark 16:16
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
I started out with my first computer in late '77 with the altair, Learned Assy language programming. Wrote my own DOS. Then I got hold of a TRS80 in 1979. Learned to program in Basic. 1981, I purchased a Timex Sinclair, and all the goodies with it. In that same year, the company I worked for, purchased 30, new IBM-PC 5150 computers with green screens. I taught them how to use them, how to use basic to write there own menu's. Most of that was done by me though. In thanks, they gave me my first, IBM PC 5150.

Fast forward to late 1983, When they upgraded, I ended up with 20 5150 computers, and several Apple II's. I fixed them all, sold them to just about everyone for $500-$900/each!

Took that money, bought A PC-XT, and within three months, an IBM-PC AT 5170 with a 20mb HDD, and a Commodore 64 with all the goodies, and an original NES.

1984, The NES started needing repairs. I figured it out, and within a month, my garage was full of them I had to repair. $50/each, took five minutes to fix them. I made a killing. Meanwhile, I get more computers from my company, and a couple veterinary clinics.......

That's how it started, and why I'm where I'm at today with computers.... Since 1983, I've had at LEAST 20 computers at the same time, and I still do. Although now, its principally laptops.

Along the way, I've learned:

Computers in general.
How to write an O/S that functions properly.
How to write menu systems that wound up on quite a few business computers.
Several different BASIC languages (all pretty much the same).
Assy Language.
Fortran, and COBOL (Haven't used either since about '95).
How to negotiate to get computers from companies who just upgraded.
In 1990, I met John McAfee, we became friends. He got me some contract work for Lockheed.
I've worked for the DoD, administrating SIPRNET, and various other "security" projects.
I've done some contract work for NASA, Lockheed, ADP (Automatic Data Processing), Lawrence Livermore Lab, Microsoft, and Intel.
I spent the first 12 years at the DoD, doing "computer stuff", and then the next 13 years, doing "other" projects for them as a GS civilian. Retired at 50, 12-August-2012, after 25yrs/service.

All this started with a single, punch card during an IBM programmers class in 1976, a soldering iron, and a lot of determination.

I have owned:

Apple (All of them but 2)
MacIntosh (just about all of them)
Altair
Amstrad
Amiga (All of them, including one that was a prototype).
Commodore (all of them).
Timex
TI
IBM (all but a PC-Jr.)
Osborne
Just about every PC clone ever manufactured at one time or another, including an Acorn.
A few SPARK stations by SUN, running UNIX.

Out of all of them, the high-end Amiga's were, and still are, my favorites.

Been a good ride.
No Weiss? Otherwise, very impressive!
Old 05-05-2018, 11:12 PM
I have 1 Gunz (Vendor/Retailer)
CGN Contributor

Looks like Iíll be the young buck with my first being a PacBell 386SX

Vendor Details:
Garage hobbyist producing 3D printed accessory products.

Vendor Thread:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1483110

Web Shop URL:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ten-creations-workshop
Old 05-06-2018, 4:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was given a Zenith Data Systems "lugable".

2 5 1/4 in floppies
512k ram that immediately upgraded to 640k. Which prompted all my friends to ask....

Why do you need so much ram....nobody needs that much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z-171 PC.jpg (17.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Old Marine; 05-06-2018 at 4:10 AM.. Reason: Update with picture
Old 05-06-2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike415stone View Post
Apple IIe with memory upgraded to 64k and I spent an extra $500 of a 5.25" floppy drive.
Same here. I did play with my brother-in-law’s TRS 80 before I got my Apple.
Old 05-06-2018, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
Altair 8800b Had to build it myself, and write my own Altair DOS. This was late 1977.

Been hooked ever since.
That was the first one I worked on as well. We had it hooked up to a teletype 33 so that we could load a 4K basic from the paper tape reader. That was allow us to load a basic program that then let us use a modified TV CRT for video. output.
From that I went to a challenger c1p home-built unit from a kit that was a 6502 4K basic machine I upgraded to 8K and also added an rs232 interface so I could use a teletype for input output and storage to papertape.
My first store bought machine was a MD2 64k dual floppy, CPM based machine. It came with some built-in applications like word star a spreadsheet and a version of basic to write your own applications with. I learned to program in assembler with that machine.
That led tp a MD3 luggable I used at work to write Turbo Pascal apps.
When the IBM clones came out I started building my own systems as well as learning to set up and administrate the LANs at work. From that, I started writing network database apps in Pascal and later Clipper.
From there we started using an early GIS engineering propram from Intergraph that was based on their version of UNIX called CLIX. The local office servers were networked in a separate Ungarmann/Bass LAN to 486 based workstations with 20inch CRT monitors!. Everything then was linked to the mainframe servers at headquarters where the continuing property records were stored.
Fun times...

Last edited by mrkubota; 05-06-2018 at 6:16 AM..
Old 05-06-2018, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkubota View Post
That was the first one I worked on as well. We had it hooked up to a teletype 33 so that we could load a 4K basic from the paper tape reader. That was allow us to load a basic program that then let us use a modified TV CRT for video. output.
From that I went to a challenger c1p home-built unit from a kit that was a 6502 4K basic machine I upgraded to 8K and also added an rs232 interface so I could use a teletype for input output and storage to papertape.
My first store bought machine was a MD2 64k dual floppy, CPM based machine. It came with some built-in applications like word star a spreadsheet and a version of basic to write your own applications with. I learned to program in assembler with that machine.
That led tp a MD3 luggable I used at work to write Turbo Pascal apps.
When the IBM clones came out I started building my own systems as well as learning to set up and administrate the LANs at work. From that, I started writing network database apps in Pascal and later Clipper.
From there we started using an early GIS engineering propram from Intergraph that was based on their version of UNIX called CLIX. The local office servers were networked in a separate Ungarmann/Bass LAN to 486 based workstations with 20inch CRT monitors!. Everything then was linked to the mainframe servers at headquarters where the continuing property records were stored.
Fun times...
NICE! Shame we couldn't have met when we were younger! The potential to become another Bill Gates/Steve Jobs, etc. would've certainly been a possibility!

Back then, computing was much more complicated, and exciting. You talk about it like you were as excited about it as I was!

Ahhhh! The memories!

Last edited by Dragunov; 05-06-2018 at 8:15 AM..
Old 05-12-2018, 11:49 PM

1998, Sony Vaio desktop. with the large hard drive. 4gb. Paid $2,500. That is $3,847 today with inflation.
I do remember using the old IBM green only screen computers in the computer lab in grade school. I also took our Typing Class in Jr High with electric Typewriters. I was in my SR year of highschool before I saw my first pc with a full color monitor.
Old 05-13-2018, 1:00 AM

Amiga 1000.
Old 05-13-2018, 5:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My first was a Mattel Aquarius, although many of my friends had Commodore 64s and I was always at their house playing around on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Osier77 View Post
If I ever build a tractor pull truck I'm naming it "Hobo Peen"
Old 05-13-2018, 2:05 PM

Atari 400, wish I still had it.
Old 05-13-2018, 4:56 PM

Location: Riverside, Southern Province, People's Republic of KALIFORNIA

1986 Compaq lugable... In the beginning no hard drive just 2 360k floppys to do maintenance on Bristol Babcock RTU's in the field.
When I got it upgraded to a 20 megabyte hard drive I thought I was in heaven!
Iirc that 20 meg hard card was several thousand $...
It was an xt processor and I remember one day I needed to compile a program file in Pascal and I let it run overnight to finish... It was done when I got to work the next day
Old 05-14-2018, 4:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 05-14-2018, 5:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecalguns View Post
Ha! Youíre using the big paddles.
Old 05-14-2018, 5:17 AM

I donít remember the name of the box. It was in 1988-1989. It had a 250mb hard drive, 256k memory. Two large floppy drives. And 3 programs, a word type program, Lotus1-2-3, and another I donít remember. It cost $1,500.
Old 05-14-2018, 6:35 AM

Sure do, her name was Linda.
Old 05-14-2018, 7:52 AM
Calguns Addict

TI 99 4/A, cartridges, data cassette.
Old 05-14-2018, 7:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY2 View Post
Sure do, her name was Linda.
Did she have single or dual slots for your floppy?
Old 05-14-2018, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
No Weiss? Otherwise, very impressive!
I wouldn't have had any place to put it!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 7:17 PM
SeŮor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
I donít remember the name of the box. It was in 1988-1989. It had a 250mb hard drive, 256k memory. Two large floppy drives. And 3 programs, a word type program, Lotus1-2-3, and another I donít remember. It cost $1,500.
'88-'89 with the large floppy drives and only 256k of RAM, that was likely a Seagate ST225 hard drive... 20 meg.
My BBS ran on an ST4096, which was 80mb, on a '286-12 with 4meg of RAM. I built that one around 1989 or 1990.
Spent $600 on my HST modem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-14-2018, 7:50 PM

My first was a Commodore 64. Didn't really like it even though I was a software engineer at that time.. didn't get another pc until the internet era.. Then the PC became the library of Alexandria..

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 05-14-2018 at 7:55 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 6:57 PM

My first computer was the Macintosh Performa 6300CD. The single button mouse was something like $90 back then. The Encyclopedia Britannica it came with blew my mind.
Old 05-21-2018, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
First computer I owned was a Commodore 64 with a tape drive.
First program was on a Wang.. on punched cards.

First PC was a Tandy 1000, 7.14Mhz
Built my own from 1989 until 2014.

No longer gaming, so OTC does everything I need for $500.
I remember the Tandy computer. I use to ride my bicycle to Radio Shack and try to program it from books I got at the school library. I only got one program to work.

I still remember the old teletype computers hooked up to Compuserve or some other computer service. I also remember making ticker tape.

In my Junior year of high school, the math class got an Apple II computer with color screen.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 05-21-2018, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post
My first computer was the Macintosh Performa 6300CD. The single button mouse was something like $90 back then. The Encyclopedia Britannica it came with blew my mind.
The first color Apples I studied computer animation on blew my mind hahah.
Old 05-21-2018, 9:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My first was an Apple II+ with a 5.25 floppy drive and an RGB monitor.. had if before the high school did and I think my parents paid over $2,000 for it. That's nearly $8,000 when adjusted for inflation.. yikes!!

64kb of memory!!!!! FEEL THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_Plus
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 05-22-2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post
One of the VERY last, decent Macintosh computers!