Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 01-11-2016, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

Just noticed this on LP site

-178S
Current Fire Restrictions
Recent rainfall across Los Padres National Forest has led to rising fuel moisture levels, prompting officials to reduce fire restrictions on the forest effective immediately.
Under the reduced fire restrictions, campfires and charcoal barbeques will be allowed in all areas of Los Padres National Forest. A California Campfire Permit, available free of charge on the Forest Internet site, is required to build a campfire outside of a designated Campfire Use Site. A list of Campfire Use Sites and information about how to acquire a campfire permit is available on the Los Padres National Forest website: www.fs.usda.gov/lpnf and at all forest offices.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/h...telprdb5401877
Old 01-11-2016, 4:40 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I spoke with the Forest Service this morning, the memo came down just a few hours ago. Today, January 11, 2016, the Forest Service officially lifted the Fire Level III restrictions, the Glass Factory is open. Please, for any of our 1,335 FB followers, hundreds of Calgunners, CLEAN UP YOUR TARGETS, any and all things you drag out to the range to shoot! If you see other shooters leaving trash, talk to them about it, don't be confrontational but let them know that leaving trash in the National Forest is NOT OK and is against the law. They can be sited with tickets and fines up to $7,500.00 plus jail time.

Be safe, practice the four rules.

1. Treat Every Gun As If It Is Loaded At All Times.
2. Keep the Gun Pointed In A Safe Direction. Never Muzzle Sweep Anyone.
3. Be Aware of Your Target and What Lies Beyond It
4. Keep Your Finger Off Of The Trigger Until You Are Ready To Fire.

If anyone is shot, injured or killed up there, the range will be shut down permanently and we will have lost one more of the few remaining California public shooting areas.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading

Last edited by Capybara; 01-11-2016 at 4:47 PM..
Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the update Capy! Will you be organizing a range clean-up any time soon, similar to last spring? That was my first time to GF and I've been looking forward to returning.
Old 01-12-2016, 3:28 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hi Balstager:

Yes, we will do a cleanup, probably in March or April. Keep in mind that in past years, Marborg, the local refuse company, donated Porta Jons, Dumpsters, Trucks and Drivers for the cleanup. This year, we not only have to do the clean up, we will have to raise about $700.00-$800.00 to pay Marborg for their drivers time and for the landfill fees for the dumpsters. Last clean up, we underestimated dumpsters needed, we removed 25 tons and left about 10 tons on the ground. It has probably grown to 15-18 tons on the ground at the moment, plus at our normal "Sociopath Pollution Rate", we will need to remove 35-45 tons this time, it's going to be a huge one. So if you have any ideas about how we can fund raise to make this happen, feel free to PM me.

Old 02-09-2016, 6:24 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Received two messages from FB users this morning that they are hearing rumors that the Forest Service will be shutting down the GF due to fire danger. This El Nino is a bust.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:53 AM
CGSSA Associate, Ventura Co.
CGN Contributor

Saw this this morning...

http://www.vcstar.com/news/local/gro...372113121.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Yeah it's getting pretty bad, and dangerous going . The last couple times I've gone to the glassfactory I've been dealing with stupid people shooting at my steel targets and knocking them down and when I tell them something they get mad, i also told a guy that took up some wood up there don't forget to take our targets back with you and the guys said, are u the glassfactory cop or something
It's almost pointless telling the guys that they will close it down due to trash
Old 03-17-2016, 7:09 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Jesus, there are always stupid people who shoot at the GF. They are the same ones who think it is okay to bring up cases of empty beer bottles, furniture, TVs and computers to shoot and just leave them there afterwards. It's sad, but as a community, we do a terrible job at obeying the laws and being responsible citizens. When I started being involved with the GF cleanups in 2013, I though it was just a tiny minority of gun owners that were that way, but careful analysis and observation over the past three years have led me to believe that the percentage of gun owners who shoot at the GF and leave trash, shoot other people's targets and have unsafe gun handling is high, very high, perhaps 50-80% I think that safe, responsible shooters who clean up after themselves is as low as 20% of the shooters up there. It's the only explanation on why we have removed almost 200 tons of garbage since 2012, yet the range fills back up with garbage at a run rate that averages 5-10 tons per month. That's not from the occasional idiot, that has to be from the majority of people shooting up there. Very, very sad. And the responsible shooters will pay the price when the Forest Service has to bow to political pressure and shut both areas down.

Just wanted to give everybody an update. We were approached yesterday by a reporter from a public radio station. This, coupled with numerous other stories means that the Glass Factory is under the media microscope. Which means that the local politicians and regulators are seeing the story above as well. Not good for us. We will do a cleanup and make the Glass Factory look like new again within the next month or two, but by then, it may be too late. I am sure that the Forest Service is receiving political pressure to close down both the Glass Factory and the Chicken Springs shooting areas. It certainly does not help our cause that shooters have decided to use both areas as a garbage dump for years, despite our best efforts to clean it, post signs, and talk with shooters. Both areas will be shut down to shooting, it's just a matter of when. Our hope is to keep both areas open for at least a few more years. The Forest Watch report is rife with inaccurate and misleading statements, but just like every other piece of anti-gun propaganda in this state, the masses will swallow it without question. Interesting how the Glass Factory has existed for several decades and has had community clean ups that we know of since at least 2005, yet was totally off of the radar. Now that the State of California has decided to punish gun owners for daring to own guns, it's interesting timing that Forest Watch has decided that the National Forest should be closed to all target shooting. Almost as if there is a master plan at work to make gun ownership in this state so onerous and so difficult (why have guns if we have shut down the two local public shooting areas?) Interesting how that works, huh?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:25 PM

Tragedy of the commons. Should give the plot to a private org or trust and let them run it.
Old 04-11-2016, 7:12 AM

Happened to be up in the area Easter weekend and decided to do a bit of shooting there for a couple of hours early Easter morning. Wow, what a mess! We scooped up a trash bag full of shotgun shells, brass and trash before we left, though that didn't even begin to make a dent. Any plans for a clean-up in the near future? It's a bit of a drive from Orange County, though it's usually not too difficult to convince my wife to do a weekend up there.
Old 04-25-2016, 8:26 PM

Hi guys.. I went target shooting at the Glass factory for the first time last week. I really like the area only if every one picks up all their targets and trash that they shoot at. I saw so many people leave trash there and shoot at it, so disappointing. Dose any one know when is the clean up date for this place going to be? I searched online how this place use to look when it was clean and it looked great. This range needs some serious cleaning soon.
Old 04-26-2016, 6:20 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

We are scheduling the next cleanup for June. If you care about the Glass Factory, you will donate to our GoFundMe campaign to raise $1,000.00 to pay for the dumpsters and landfill fees to dispose of that 35 tons of trash you saw laying on the ground.

https://www.gofundme.com/2qy8dgng

Stay tuned, will be posting the clean up date and details soon.

Old 05-17-2016, 5:13 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

What: Glass Factory Community Cleanup
When: Saturday, June 25th, 2016
Where: The Glass Factory/Arroyo Burro Public Shooting Area, seven miles down East Camino Cielo Road off of Hwy 154, above Santa Barbara
Who: Anyone interested in keeping this beautiful, rare public shooting area open - this means you if you shoot there, have shot there or want to shoot there in the future!
Why: Local politicians and a watchdog organization would like to shut down the entire Los Padres National Forest to public target shooting because of pollution the shooters leave. Leaving the Glass Factory spotless for the end of the open season gives them one less reason to shut it down.

This was the overall trash level at the Glass Factory as of this morning. Way too much trash out there but it has looked much worse than this, I think someone has been hauling out small amounts from the big trash piles periodically. Whoever you are doing this, THANK YOU!

More details will be posted as they become available but for now, reserve Saturday, June 25th on your calendar. Bring your family and friends! We will be serving the clean up volunteers lunch and at the end of the clean up, we will have a prize drawing for some killer Calguns swag, shooting oriented and non-shooting oriented prizes. We begin at 8:00 AM and are typically finished by between 1:00 and 3:00 PM, depending on how many volunteers show up.

Marborg Industries, the local trash company, is donating two 40 yard dumpsters that we will fill but this year, we have to pay for the landfill fees and a Porta Jon so we have a place to use the restroom and wash hands before lunch and after the clean up. We are also working on bringing in one or two tractors as we have had in the past years, they make the work go so much faster. We are estimating expenses of around $1,000.00 total for the clean up and through our Facebook page, have already raised $810.00 of the $1,000.00 needed. Please donate a few bucks to the cause, especially if you cannot make it to the cleanup. The Glass Factory is undoubtedly the most beautiful, pristine public shooting area left in Southern California and it is only through our efforts for the past years that it is still open.

You can donate to our GoFundMe campaign here https://www.gofundme.com/2qy8dgng and you can see a time lapse video of our 2013 cleanup on this page as well.

We appreciate any donations you can send us for the prize drawing as well, accessories, ammo, Starbucks, Target and iTune cards, shooting supplies, reloading supplies, etc. PM me for info on how to get your prize donation to us in time for the event.

Stay tuned here for more details about the shoot and post in this thread or PM if you would like to sign up for the clean up. You can peruse this thread for lots of pictures of the past cleanups since 2013, we have a great time out there and it's a lot of fun. Cannot guarantee that the National Forest won't be closed down to shooting because of fire danger by June 25th, so you may not be able to shoot afterwards but it took us a while to get this event planned this year because of the necessity of fund raising, we still have not yet hit our goal to make this happen so please help us out with a donation and or your time.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2016, 8:00 AM

I have never seen such a huge pile of refuse where outdoorsman go to supposedly enjoy their time.

To think the BLM area I frequent was bad. Just effing wow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 05-18-2016, 8:30 AM

You think thats bad? Shoot its been way worse there, Capy and the Calguns volunteers have done a ton of work over the years.
Old 05-18-2016, 8:33 AM

I'd like to come help but my wife is preggo and due around that time.
Old 05-18-2016, 8:47 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

J-shot, I have pictures from previous years that would make you bow your head in shame. These pictures prove that we are slowly, ever so slowly beginning to change the collective mindset of shooters up there, there is far less garbage this year than in previous years, we will probably only need to haul about 8-12 tons. Collectively, over the past four years, we have removed about 150 tons of garbage from this range. It takes 60-100 volunteers, tractors and huge 40 yard dumpsters to get it back to pristine.

Doug has always been out there with us and is a integral part of our team up there every year and has been handsomely rewarded for his efforts (see picture from our drawing for our volunteers below). It kills me that people who have never been don't realize that this is one of the most beautiful, pristine public shooting areas in the state and that the local Congresswoman, County Supervisors and others with money and influence would love nothing better than to shut it down permanently to target shooting. Honestly, we should be turning away people who want to help. But many people reading this thread will think to themselves, "That's nice, those guys are cleaning it up. Glad I don't have to, someone else will do it."

We need donations to pay for the landfill fees and most of all, we need boots on the ground up there, come help us out! If the Glass Factory closes, it will be a HUGE loss for our community. We have to pull together and save it with ACTIONS!

Doug won this beautiful M44 a few years ago!

This is what it has looked like in the past few years

Now you see why we think we are making a difference? Sure, 10 tons is still ridiculous but it's better than 40 tons we removed in 2013.

Old 05-18-2016, 8:53 AM

Wow I look different then!
Old 05-18-2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
J-shot, I have pictures from previous years that would make you bow your head in shame... -SNIP-
Is it all firearm related garbage or do people just dump trash there?
Quote:
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 05-18-2016, 6:24 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-shot View Post
Is it all firearm related garbage or do people just dump trash there?
J - I was there for that 40 ton pick up. Everything I saw was completely shot up. I wandered all the areas looking at mattress', car radios, TV's, propane canisters, wood 2x4's, pipes, water bottles, beer bottle remnants, plates, HDD's, DVD players, DVD's, shoes were shot full of holes. Virtually anything you can think of was used as a target, though I did not see a kitchen sink

I did not see any just plain dumping of stuff, it was all used as targets and left behind for someone else to pick up.

Those young folks that came out were tireless and enthusiastic throughout the day. I was thoroughly impressed with the organized event and its organizers. The youngsters coming up need to have this Glass Factory preserved for their use. We can show them how to keep it available by coming together once a year for cleanup as well as learning the shooting sports.

There I go again, let me jump off this box.

Capy I'd like to put up a rifle of some sorts for one of the lucky volunteers. However comma I'm not familiar with FFL's in the area, call when you get a chance.
This is marked on my calendar to get out there and help, probably spend the weekend in Santa Barbara with wife.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers

CALGUNS.NET logo stickers and patches (3 inch) are here

The Gulag Archipelago - Online read .pdf

Last edited by Can'thavenuthingood; 05-18-2016 at 7:39 PM..
Old 05-18-2016, 8:06 PM
CGSSA Associate, Ventura Co.
CGN Contributor

Thanks guys for organizing this again. I'm sorry, I won't be able to help out this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-19-2016, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'thavenuthingood View Post
J - I was there for that 40 ton pick up. Everything I saw was completely shot up. I wandered all the areas looking at mattress', car radios, TV's, propane canisters, wood 2x4's, pipes, water bottles, beer bottle remnants, plates, HDD's, DVD players, DVD's, shoes were shot full of holes. Virtually anything you can think of was used as a target, though I did not see a kitchen sink

I did not see any just plain dumping of stuff, it was all used as targets and left behind for someone else to pick up.

Those young folks that came out were tireless and enthusiastic throughout the day. I was thoroughly impressed with the organized event and its organizers. The youngsters coming up need to have this Glass Factory preserved for their use. We can show them how to keep it available by coming together once a year for cleanup as well as learning the shooting sports.

There I go again, let me jump off this box.

Capy I'd like to put up a rifle of some sorts for one of the lucky volunteers. However comma I'm not familiar with FFL's in the area, call when you get a chance.
This is marked on my calendar to get out there and help, probably spend the weekend in Santa Barbara with wife.

Vick
I am just shocked folks would purposely do this. I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

Where do they think they are going tomorrow if they broke it today? Just plain dumb.

Capybara I guess is the organizer...? I would like to help out but that is too far for me to make.

I would like to make a raffle donation or whatever it is called for the volunteers (like M44 for Doug).

I mostly have access to new computer like equipment and such. All new in box.

My Cloud drives

SSD drives

Printers

Laptop / Desktop HDD

Wifi Routers (I got bored making the links, sorry )

Switches

Memory (laptop / desktop)

etc...

If this would / could be of any help zip me a PM

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2016, 10:53 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

J-shot, I am one of three coordinators, gtturborex and SoCalMountainMan are the other two.

We will take anything you want to donate, we get usually about 20-40% of the people who come up to help aren't shooters (we've had people who live on Painted Cave road nearby, students from UCSB and City College, sororities and fraternities) so it is nice to have some prizes that they would like, we try to have a mixture of gun gear, ammo and then some non-gear stuff like Target gift cards, Starbucks, etc. so any of your computer stuff would be much appreciated.

I will PM you to see what we can work out and I will definitely post pictures of whoever wins your donations so you can see them. I donated Doug's M44 a few years ago, then he donated a very nice gun, then the winner of that donated a nice shotgun, it's sort of an unspoken tradition that it's nice if you win the grand prize gun, that you donate one for the next year, (if you can afford to, of course!).

I think we will have a nice clean up, our Facebook page has almost 2,000 followers.

Old 05-19-2016, 2:59 PM

Capy have you started a roll call yet?

My girlfriend and I are in. I too also think I have something again. With my impending move out of SB I need to re-evaluate some gear.
Old 05-19-2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
J-shot, I am one of three coordinators, gtturborex and SoCalMountainMan are the other two.

We will take anything you want to donate, we get usually about 20-40% of the people who come up to help aren't shooters (we've had people who live on Painted Cave road nearby, students from UCSB and City College, sororities and fraternities) so it is nice to have some prizes that they would like, we try to have a mixture of gun gear, ammo and then some non-gear stuff like Target gift cards, Starbucks, etc. so any of your computer stuff would be much appreciated.

I will PM you to see what we can work out and I will definitely post pictures of whoever wins your donations so you can see them. I donated Doug's M44 a few years ago, then he donated a very nice gun, then the winner of that donated a nice shotgun, it's sort of an unspoken tradition that it's nice if you win the grand prize gun, that you donate one for the next year, (if you can afford to, of course!).

I think we will have a nice clean up, our Facebook page has almost 2,000 followers.
Sounds good. I got non firearms stuff I will donate for the non firearm folks as well as the firearm folks if they like.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2016, 5:24 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Let's get this ball rolling again! Dan, those pictures don't look nearly as bad as its been in previous years. Hopefully all of our harping is paying off.

Hope to see all the regulars and of course tons of first timers out there!

Mike
Old 05-21-2016, 7:22 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

We have been crunching the numbers and we need financial help if this clean up is going to be a success. Our GoFundMe campaign for the clean up is sitting at $930.00, thanks to those who have contributed to it. We are receiving two, forty yard dumpsters for the clean up, donated by Marborg. We must pay the landfill fees to dump the garbage at $79.00 per ton. Each dumpster holds between 8-10 tons. If we fill up two full dumpsters, that will cost between $1,500.00 and $1,600.00! Plus we are spending another $150.00 for a Porta Jon so that we all have a place to use the restroom and wash hands after the cleanup.

So while we are getting there, we desperately need your financial help to make this happen. There is no committee, bank account, credit card, or slush fund we can draw on to pay for this, there are just three volunteers (myself, gtturborex and SoCalMountainMan) who are organizing this community clean up and none of us can afford to cover the overage. Please go to our gofundme page and give a few bucks to help the cause or we will have to leave a considerable amount of garbage on the ground like we did last year because we didn't have an additional dumpster to haul it away.

Help us clean the Glass Factory up here https://www.gofundme.com/2qy8dgng Tell your shooting friends, tell your local gun store, tell your non-shooting friends who care about the National Forest and the environment. Thanks for all of the donations of items for the volunteers and for your time but the bottom line is we need to pay for the landfill fees or we will end up leaving a lot of garbage on the ground there. Donate a few bucks to the cause!

Old 05-21-2016, 7:28 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

The Official Glass Factory Clean Up Sign Up List
Saturday, June 25th, 2016

Organizers
Gtturborex
SoCalMountainMan
Capybara + 1

Volunteers
DougGoLupski + 1
davep23 + 1

Last edited by Capybara; 05-26-2016 at 8:10 AM..
Old 05-24-2016, 6:00 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

No more sign ups?!? Nobody besides Doug is going to come out and help us save the Glass Factory?

Old 05-24-2016, 7:58 PM

Hey guys, i will sadly not be able to make this clean up but i will donate some cash to the go fund me and see if i can get a few friends that will be interested in going to help that have gone with me in the past. I will up date you Capy if i get a few friends to volunteer that day.
Old 05-24-2016, 8:50 PM

My wife and I are happy to join in! We're going to find a nearby campground and make a weekend of it.
Old 05-26-2016, 8:11 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep23 View Post
My wife and I are happy to join in! We're going to find a nearby campground and make a weekend of it.
Thanks dave! Added you to the list. And thanks to those of you who cannot make it but can throw us a few bucks to help pay for the landfill fees. Need a lot more volunteers, tell all of your shooting, hiking, outdoor friends to come out and help us!

Old 05-29-2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks dave! Added you to the list. And thanks to those of you who cannot make it but can throw us a few bucks to help pay for the landfill fees. Need a lot more volunteers, tell all of your shooting, hiking, outdoor friends to come out and help us!
Kko

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2016, 8:18 PM

What's the timing for the cleanup on June 25th.... asking because I work 9-2 in Oxnard/ Ventura area and could come after. Let me know.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Voted Most Ready CGN'er
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
What: Glass Factory Community Cleanup
When: Saturday, June 25th, 2016
Where: The Glass Factory/Arroyo Burro Public Shooting Area, seven miles down East Camino Cielo Road off of Hwy 154, above Santa Barbara
Who: Anyone interested in keeping this beautiful, rare public shooting area open - this means you if you shoot there, have shot there or want to shoot there in the future!
Why: Local politicians and a watchdog organization would like to shut down the entire Los Padres National Forest to public target shooting because of pollution the shooters leave. Leaving the Glass Factory spotless for the end of the open season gives them one less reason to shut it down.

Marborg Industries, the local trash company, is donating two 40 yard dumpsters that we will fill but this year, we have to pay for the landfill fees and a Porta Jon so we have a place to use the restroom and wash hands before lunch and after the clean up.

You can donate to our GoFundMe campaign here https://www.gofundme.com/2qy8dgng and you can see a time lapse video of our 2013 cleanup on this page as well.

We appreciate any donations you can send us for the prize drawing as well, accessories, ammo, Starbucks, Target and iTune cards, shooting supplies, reloading supplies, etc. PM me for info on how to get your prize donation to us in time for the event.
Almost at our goal! Thanks to all who contributed. Let's push it over the top.

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac
Old 06-09-2016, 8:28 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Maybe we need another thread and a pm blast to get some more volunteers.
Old 06-15-2016, 3:55 PM
Voted Most Ready CGN'er
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Bump it up.
Old 06-15-2016, 5:14 PM

I went by today and it's closed now
Old 06-15-2016, 5:51 PM

I have never been to the GF. Is there a "choke point" that could be (legally) gated so that it could be controlled something along the lines of Winchester Canyon?

If it can be gated/fenced, could a non-profit be formed to administer the site?