Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I won't be up until the week after Christmas, looking forward to shooting up there again and saying hi to fellow Calgunners.

Let's see, new C&R stuff I scored over the past few months in anticipation of AB809. I need to shoot...

1. Maadi AK I built
2. BRNO ZKM468 .22 single shot trainer I scored from Wideners months ago.
3. Yugo M48A
4. M39 No Maker Finn
5. 1951 Winchester 1894
6. 1944 Izhevsk M38 pistol I picked up in Arizona in September

Yes, it's going to be a diverse and fun day shooting.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Will the range be open on Christmas Day (25 December)?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALRaider View Post
Will the range be open on Christmas Day (25 December)?
Why wouldn't it be?
Old 12-20-2013, 5:15 AM

I can't imagine why it would not be....I plan on being there!

Cheers.....
Old 12-20-2013, 7:23 AM

I borrowed this overhead view from Capybara:

Where is the "correct" spot for clays now? I remember I saw most people throwing them from the extreme right hand side of the line and just wanted to check if anything had changed with the rearrangement.
Old 12-20-2013, 8:01 AM

Personally I prefer the lower range. The issue with clays is if you have a new shooter they wont know when to stop sweeping and could potentially take someone out where the arrow is pointing.

Far right on the upper range is best because it will put the muzzle sweep well ahead of the firing line but you have to be really careful to not lay into a a right flying clay as you will start shooting at the road.

Its all really the best of a worse firing line setup, if you can use the lower range either shooting into the hillside or down the canyon thats ideal.
Old 12-20-2013, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolupski View Post
Personally I prefer the lower range. The issue Far right on the upper range is best because it will put the muzzle sweep well ahead of the firing line but you have to be really careful to not lay into a a right flying clay as you will start shooting at the road.
A friend was riding by and someone shot one of the poles right by him, so yes, please be careful everyone!
Old 12-20-2013, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umd View Post
A friend was riding by and someone shot one of the poles right by him, so yes, please be careful everyone!
Unfortunately I think most of us that frequent the GF a lot have seen some variant of that. Thats also one of the other things people have been trying to use to close the GF. Hence the new shooter unfriendly firing Line.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Does anyone know what happened to the benches? It kind of sucks having to lay everything out on the rocks. I guess I'll bring a folding table next time.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 AM

They all got shot up/taken apart then shot up. People suck. This is what I use and I know others have something similar.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought one of the baseball bucks with the pad on the lid. Works great to sit on and store stuff.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
They all got shot up/taken apart then shot up. People suck.
Damn.
Old 12-21-2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Damn.
I was there today no benches. It's way greener and way cleaner.
Old 12-21-2013, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
I was there today no benches. It's way greener and way cleaner.
Yeah I knew the benches were gone just didn't know why
Old 12-23-2013, 9:17 AM

Last clean up there was two tables and benches left, guess while it was closed someone needed them.
Old 12-23-2013, 7:53 PM

Dudes were bringing in TVs and leaving them. This place won't last very long at that rate.
Old 12-23-2013, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub95 View Post
Last clean up there was two tables and benches left, guess while it was closed someone needed them.
Last clean-up, as in May 2013? I was there. There we no tables or benches of any kind. There were small pieces of wood shot up and broken apart, but that was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre_hicks View Post
Dudes were bringing in TVs and leaving them. This place won't last very long at that rate.
When? Did you observe them? Did you say anything?

Last edited by TacticalPlinker; 12-23-2013 at 9:29 PM..
Old 12-23-2013, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre_hicks View Post
It still wasn't too bad yesterday. Didn't see anything large left behind where I was. Took out a few smaller pieces that people left.
Old 12-24-2013, 4:30 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPea View Post
I borrowed this overhead view from Capybara:

Where is the "correct" spot for clays now? I remember I saw most people throwing them from the extreme right hand side of the line and just wanted to check if anything had changed with the rearrangement.
How come the firing line does not go straight across, follow the arrows path, rather than dip into the parking area?

Is there a terrain feature not seen on the picture?

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers

CALGUNS.NET logo stickers and patches (3 inch) are here

Picnic Time
Old 12-24-2013, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'thavenuthingood View Post
How come the firing line does not go straight across, follow the arrows path, rather than dip into the parking area?

Is there a terrain feature not seen on the picture?
If the firing line was the red line, it would point toward the road.
Old 12-24-2013, 6:21 AM

Vic, the forestry service moved it earlier this year to shift the line of fire away from the road. Good for drivers bad for shooters.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Vic, the forestry service moved it earlier this year to shift the line of fire away from the road. Good for drivers bad for shooters.

Yeah it doesn't look good from the vanatge point of the picture, are they hoping someone gets hurt?
If intent is there then a felony cannot be far behind.

If you guys are going to have another cleanup and drawing scenario like last year I have a couple items to contribute again.

Sadly, ammo is not one of them though.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers

CALGUNS.NET logo stickers and patches (3 inch) are here

Picnic Time
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 AM

What no 22LR to put in the pot?
Old 12-29-2013, 1:54 PM

Just got back from doing some plinking, it's not as bad as it been in the past but there is a good amount of trash. A few TVs the usual cardboard boxes.
Old 12-29-2013, 6:26 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Going up there tomorrow morning to shoot and be disappointed at the "presents" the sociopath reprobates have left us. I'll take some images. We have not heard back anything from the Forest Service on our proposed range improvement plan. We will keep trying. We know that they received it, I sent it myself and got back confirmation that the District Head Ranger received it and was circulating amongst the staff for comments. Really hoping we can do it, I think the GF stands a much better chance of staying open for the next few years if we can implement these improvements.

Old 12-31-2013, 9:47 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Range Report - The Glass Factory - 12/30/13
Just returned from a session up at the Glass Factory. We arrived shortly after sunrise at 7:05 AM. I have to say that yesterday was one of the most beautiful and spectacular days I have ever experienced. It was about 72 degrees, clear as a bell with just a slight 2-3 mph breeze. The view of the islands and the entire Santa Barbara coastline were just incredible.

Condition of the range:
Overall, about what I expected. The good news is that as we were shooting, by 10 AM, the firing line was full and I mean full with overflow shooting on the lower range also. It was encouraging to see that every group shooting either brought there own wooden or metal target stands, or were shooting biodegradable clays with shotguns. I did not see anyone bring or put out glass, junk or trash to shoot at.

The range, overall, could be picked up and completely cleaned by half a dozen volunteers in about an hour. Not bad, but we have been open less than a month so I wasn't expecting it to be too messy yet.

The Bad:
We walked the range as we set up our targets. Still a huge amount of shot up glass everywhere. Some numb nuts set up a thick steel curved target that would be perfect for richochets from small calibers back at the firing line.

Safety - was still scary. We called a cease fire for some newly arrived groups to put out targets and the four young guys next to us were still messing around with their shotguns with people directly downrange. I asked them to please put their guns down when people are downrange.

Another time we called a cease fire and yelled it really loudly. I was personally halfway out to the 100 yard line to setup targets when someone on the lower range starts firing. I screamed at the top of my lungs, "CEASE FIRE, STOP SHOOTING, PEOPLE ARE ON THE RANGE!!!". I will never shoot at the GF again without my bullhorn. I don't care if it makes me look like a douche control freak, better to be thought of as that then to be shot at by idiots. Can't figure out why people don't understand the concept of cease fire? Who would be dumb enough to shoot on the lower range without checking and seeing if anyone is walking the main range beforehand?!?!?

There are really only four rules of gun safety, why can't ANYONE with a gun adhere to them?

The Good:
Whoever put these up, THANK YOU! I was amazed that they weren't shot up yet.

We had a very nice session shooting up here. Here are some images of my friend Aaron shooting my new little BRNO ZKM468 single shot .22. This rifle is a gem, we were knocking off 3" targets at 100 yards with irons.

We brought steel targets and wanted to put them out at the 100 yard line but the range is still bone dry, the 100 yard line is still in heavy weeds and we brought HXP ammo and some Czech low recoil 7.62x54r ammo for my Mosin. I was afraid of spark possibilities so we did put out the steel but only at 40 yards where there were no weeds and we only shot it with .22 and handguns. Another group brought out an AR500 12" gong and put it out at 100 yards but they weren't shooting anything steel core. No fires but I would encourage everyone, until we get more rain, do not put steel out at 100 yards or near any weeds. If someone starts a fire and it gets out of control, the GF will be done. It is still REALLY dry up there.

A few shots of Aaron shooting my Garand. What a joy this rifle is to shoot.

Here was the lineup for this trip. From L-R:

1. 1985 Ruger Mini 14
2. 1962 Winchester 1894
3. 1950s BRNO ZKM468
4. 1954 HRA M1 Garand
5. 1951 Winchester 1894
6. 1953 Hungarian M44 Mosin Nagant
7. 1995 Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded
8. 2012 Smith & Wesson 625 PC

Old 12-31-2013, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Going up there tomorrow morning to shoot and be disappointed at the "presents" the sociopath reprobates have left us. I'll take some images. We have not heard back anything from the Forest Service on our proposed range improvement plan. We will keep trying. We know that they received it, I sent it myself and got back confirmation that the District Head Ranger received it and was circulating amongst the staff for comments. Really hoping we can do it, I think the GF stands a much better chance of staying open for the next few years if we can implement these improvements.
Can you post a copy of the plan?
Old 12-31-2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Range Report - The Glass Factory - 12/30/13

The Bad:

Another time we called a cease fire and yelled it really loudly. I was personally halfway out to the 100 yard line to setup targets when someone on the lower range starts firing. I screamed at the top of my lungs, "CEASE FIRE, STOP SHOOTING, PEOPLE ARE ON THE RANGE!!!". I will never shoot at the GF again without my bullhorn. I don't care if it makes me look like a douche control freak, better to be thought of as that then to be shot at by idiots. Can't figure out why people don't understand the concept of cease fire? Who would be dumb enough to shoot on the lower range without checking and seeing if anyone is walking the main range beforehand?!?!?

]
doesn't the lower range not face the upper range?
Old 12-31-2013, 4:04 PM

Wow. I definitely need to check this place out!
Old 12-31-2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Yes and no, there is a hill you can shoot into but many shoot into the canyon the runs parallel to the main firing line. There is also the issue of people not cease firing on the main line when they are to the left of the big bush. Its always good to make eye contact with them before stepping outside the line.
Old 01-01-2014, 6:55 AM

Let's be careful out there folks.... This was the result of steel core ammo...dry conditions and a richochet .... I saw it from start to finish and there is NOTHING you can do once it starts...

http://youtu.be/ofV4bKVbqSo
Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosoomi View Post
Let's be careful out there folks.... This was the result of steel core ammo...dry conditions and a richochet .... I saw it from start to finish and there is NOTHING you can do once it starts...

http://youtu.be/ofV4bKVbqSo
At first glance I thought your post meant that this happened yesterday. Great reminder, though. Be safe up there so we don't increase the pressure to shut it down.
Old 01-01-2014, 2:35 PM

That was two years ago I think....
Old 01-02-2014, 3:01 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Can you post a copy of the plan?
No, not really. We have to wait until the Forest Service makes a decision on it. If they approve it, yes, of course. If they turn it down, what would be the point of showing it?

Old 01-02-2014, 3:06 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I would not feel safe walking on any adjacent range anywhere while live fire is going unless there were concrete, railroad ties and tons of dirt or some other bulletproof protection. We hear ricochets up there a lot and walking closer to the axis of fire from the people on the lower range is not a smart idea. As the other post above alludes to, from the upper range you can't tell which angle the people on the lower range are firing at and I have been on the lower range when dumb people were cross firing onto the full right side of the upper range.

I don't want to die from somebody's stupidity. Part of the proposed plan is to completely close down the lower range with barriers, signs and fines. I am an RSO and there is absolutely no safe way to keep the lower range open unless we had a full time RSO and the GF was a range, which it is not, it is an uncontrolled public shooting area that is sometimes frequented by unsafe shooters.

Old 01-02-2014, 3:09 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

It sure would be nice if we got some more rain. A lot more rain.

Old 01-03-2014, 1:43 PM

Perhaps this weekend...

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 01-05-2014, 6:57 AM

I have never shot at the glassfactory and was wondering if there are markers at 100 and 200 yards. I will be taking an Garand up and would like to sight it in at 200 yds and maybe go a bit further. Are there any markers, or are the berms set up at particular distances?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 01-05-2014, 7:07 AM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post
I have never shot at the glassfactory and was wondering if there are markers at 100 and 200 yards. I will be taking an Garand up and would like to sight it in at 200 yds and maybe go a bit further. Are there any markers, or are the berms set up at particular distances?

Thanks,
Jay
No, there are no distance markers or berms at set distances.
Old 01-05-2014, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post

Thanks,
Jay
Was there yesterday and there are 100yrd markers now. I dont know who put them there, but thumbs up to them.
Old 01-05-2014, 9:49 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Good luck on getting 200 yards there, you would be dangerously close to shooting up over the main hill we shoot into, very near the top, or down the canyon to the left of the range (yes, people live, hike and bike a mile or two down where that canyon leads to). Also, your angle would be ridiculous. Keep in mind that the residents of Santa Ynez Valley (is that the area behind our main hill?) probably wouldn't appreciate having your bullets raining down on them. The upper areas where people have placed targets to the left looks to be about 120-130 yards as the hill goes much more vertical than farther back for distance. I need to buy a laser rangefinder to measure these areas out to be sure. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Yes, I noticed those 100 yard signs too, must be the same person who put up the Firearms Safety Rules signs. Someone is very nice and responsible, unlike the dumb people shooting Tannerite up there. I picked up a jar of it off of the ground when we were cleaning up our targets last week, I dumped it out into my trash bag. We are getting reports on our Facebook page of dumb people shooting Tannerite up there. Sigh. Part of me wants them to get nailed for the felony but sadly the only way they will probably be caught is when they light the whole range on fire, which will be a shame. In case you are reading this and don't know, Tannerite is legal to sell and posses in California but illegal to mix, posses while mixed or to detonate it. Yes, it's dumb that the DOJ and the DAs let retailers here sell it, but it's a win-win for them if you think about it. When people are caught using it, the state can put a negative PR spin on the dumb, ignorant shooters blowing things up with "dangerous explosives", they get to arrest and felony convict the perps, raking in money from fines and eliminating the 2A rights of the prosecuted party. So in the end, in California, Tannerite is a win-win for the state and huge loser for the uneducated shooter who buys and shoots it here. Just don't. I have shot Tannerite out of state and yes, it is really fun, but in this state, it is a huge loser and can completely mess up your entire life. Plus, regardless of what Tannerite says, it can and does start fires, I think that most, if not all of the Tannerite prosecutions in the State have been a result of a forest or grass fire started by the Tannerite and or other explosive or flammable items that the Tannerite detonated.

Last edited by Capybara; 01-05-2014 at 10:02 AM..