Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-04-2016, 8:59 PM

Tritium is a hazmat, and a such amazon doesn't allow it to be shipped to CA. That said, if you try to buy from another amazon vendor it will likely go through just fine. Almost none of the vendors actually label their sights as containing tritium.
Old 05-04-2016, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, in post #9 I first speculated hazmat.
Old 05-04-2016, 9:22 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I have bought a crap load of tritium sights from Amazon.com direct, including XS big dot sights.

So let's stop the FUD right now. OP has given ONE example, one wonky, messed up example. Perhaps they will fix it for that specific SKU and perhaps they wont, but the title is misleading, and Amazon will ship tritium sights to CA including XS.

Old 05-04-2016, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
This isn't the first time it has happened. See this thread from 2012 http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=594253

Brownells has the same item for a few dollars more http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...72-111288.aspx
Brownells had a sale a while back on 10rd Pmags. I waited until they included free shipping and ordered the necessary amount to get the free shipping and the computer would not let the order go through due to Ca Magazine Restrictions. !0rd magazines, come on give me a break.
Old 05-04-2016, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hm I live in LA and bought two different sights shipped to me no problem from Amazon, even did 2-day prime shipping.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:14 PM

I just got a new scope today from Amazon!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPONDA View Post
Your gun is off roster, no longer for sale in CA therefore all parts, sights, mags, grips, etc cannot be sold due to the non-renewable staus of your firearm, unless you are exempt peace officer, sorry you would have sell firearm out of state or relinquish to local law enforcement....
Can't tell if you're being serious or not. Shield is not off roster. Even if it was off roster none of what you said is true. The only thing that is restricted is the commercial sale of the firearm that is off roster. PPT are still allowed. Where in the law does it say parts for off roster guns are not allowed to be sold?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
I've got no time to get angry over stuff like this... just buy elsewhere & move on.
Did exactly that and ordered from ebay. I'm just concerned that this is a systemic issue at Amazon and they are becoming more anti-gun. I order most of my gear from Amazon and it would suck if I had to switch to ebay which is much less reliable in quality and less consistent in shipping.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I have bought a crap load of tritium sights from Amazon.com direct, including XS big dot sights.

So let's stop the FUD right now. OP has given ONE example, one wonky, messed up example. Perhaps they will fix it for that specific SKU and perhaps they wont, but the title is misleading, and Amazon will ship tritium sights to CA including XS.

I've personally had it happen four or five times, and heard of MANY MANY more from customers. It DOES have to do with the fact that they use tritium. I'm contacted amazon and had it confirmed. I had the same thing happen with a watch that had tritium on the face and hands.

Think of it like the bluing pen. YES, it is not supposed to be shipped to CA. And IF the vendor has it correctly marked amazon will sometimes catch it. But if you order from a different vendor it goes through just fine.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the misleading title. That is the impression I got right after speaking to Amazon. Although, after getting feedback from others in this thread I'm starting to see the different possible explanations for it. I was hoping to get more examples of restricted items others have experienced to see what the common feature was of items being restricted. It seems to be certain night sights that are being restricted, can't really pin point the common denominator.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 PM

Weird.... I tried to order a chainsaw last week and got the identical message :/ maybe because it was an assault chainsaw??
Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegergewehr View Post
Weird.... I tried to order a chainsaw last week and got the identical message :/ maybe because it was an assault chainsaw??
Did it have a vertical fore grip?
Old 05-05-2016, 4:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Did exactly that and ordered from ebay. I'm just concerned that this is a systemic issue at Amazon and they are becoming more anti-gun. I order most of my gear from Amazon and it would suck if I had to switch to ebay which is much less reliable in quality and less consistent in shipping.
It is a Hazmat issue. I had a similar issue with spray Ballistol, would not ship to CA.
Old 05-05-2016, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Did it have a vertical fore grip?
Oh snap....you're right. My bad
Old 05-05-2016, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Zero FUD in this thread. Zero. The OP asked a question. People speculated. Legitimate speculation.

Many of use, many posted in this thread, I also being one, have bought tritium sights from Amazon into CA. Another "speculation" in this thread, just as legit as any other, is that the seller made an error in their listing behind the scenes and that flagged the Amazon system whereas other sellers did not and sell just fine into CA.

Also note, though the OP only gave ONE example, a bunch of us tried to buy it and could not. That is interesting nonetheless and there IS a reason way. We all just want to figure out why. No FUD, just speculation.
Old 05-05-2016, 6:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBnNC View Post
I think it might be by area. I bought glock pro I dots (Tritium) said It would not ship to certain areas but I got them 2 days later
I'am in San Diego County and received my Tritium sights just a few days ago. (not from amazon)
Old 05-05-2016, 7:18 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
This. Amazon and similar sites are basically giant databases being managed by people who don't know all the ins and outs of product legalities.
Not only that, but the big databases (you upload product info with gigantic Excel spreadsheets) are actually kind of complicated to administer. And the people administering them are rarely high-level folks.
Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.
Old 05-05-2016, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I recently tried to purchase some new night sights for my SW Shield from Amazon. Whenever I tried to checkout it would give me an error saying it can't be shipped to my address. I thought maybe there was an issue with availability or something so I called Amazon and it turns out they have a policy that certain items cannot be shipped to CA. Since this item is sold and shipped by Amazon this is not some third party restriction, this is an Amazon issue.

I mentioned that the product description says that it can be shipped within the US and that CA is within the US. Also that the Amazon website list of prohibited items does not restrict gun sights. They said that there is a separate restriction coming up on their end and this item is restricted for CA residents.
Pretty soon, Amazon will restrict the sale or receipt of anything that smacks of Republican or right-of-center.
Old 05-05-2016, 7:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt01 View Post
I'am in San Diego County and received my Tritium sights just a few days ago. (not from amazon)
You should be able to receive lawful gun parts ANYWHERE at ANYTIME.
Old 05-05-2016, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
Zero FUD in this thread. Zero. The OP asked a question. People speculated. Legitimate speculation.

Well, the title of the thread is misleading and very general.
Old 05-05-2016, 7:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjjj View Post
Between Amazon and ebay and Facebook rules, I am getting sick and fed up.
Sick and Fed Up, of merchants who take it upon themselves to apply Selective Persecution of a 100% legal hobby and sport. We should all get angry when when we hear a business is doing this. There is not one good reason why they should feel free to pick on and penalize a group of 75 MILLION law-abiding citizens, people who are simply shopping like everyone else.

Why buy from them in the first place and not from a company or dealer who supports the 2A? So, you might pay a little more but you get more in return.
Old 05-05-2016, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Well, the title of the thread is misleading and very general.
It's a thread title.. on an internet forum... not a Biblical verse
Old 05-05-2016, 11:05 AM

just remember, they are for your airsoft toy gun, not some scary real gun.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:19 PM

Amazon classes tritium sights as prohibited night vision scopes. Stupid but true. I tried to buy a tritium front post for an AR. Amazon wouldn't ship it. I called them up and talked to CS. They wouldn't budge on it but they did link me to a seller that was selling the same sight for the same price with prime shipping. I bought that without a problem.

Instead of understanding the laws of this idiot state it is easier for amazons lawyers to implement a over restrictive policy.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM

I've tried a number of firearm related items, even rubber grips. (Nothing with tritium though)

I talked to many people at amazon.

the final determination was that because the item is barred from shipment outside the USA, that it cant' be shipped to California.

Seriously. I wish I was kidding.

(I even provided a letter from the manufacturer of the item I was trying to by, which pointed out the non-restricted nature of the item.)

(I have also had this issue intermittently with protein snack bars...)

Last edited by 2meterB; 05-05-2016 at 12:25 PM..
Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2meterB View Post
I've tried a number of firearm related items, even rubber grips.

I talked to many people at amazon.

the final determination was that because the item is barred from shipment outside the USA, that it cant' be shipped to California.

Seriously. I wish I was kidding.
It's official, CA is no longer part of the USA.
Old 05-05-2016, 2:14 PM
Banned

Whoever it is providing the products to Amazon must not know CA laws and told Amazon it might not be legal in a Kommi state like CA. Then someone at Amazon or the restriction.. Not that odd
Old 05-05-2016, 2:16 PM

You can always compose a professional email to jeff@amazon.com

I would, but I'm tired of spending time on it.
Old 05-05-2016, 2:23 PM

Default Time to shop around!

Change your vendor! Hazmat isn't hard to ship into CA-just have to follow the rules.
OP-I no longer due business with E-pay. Same with Midway-they were the first to ban ammo sales last go round. Bet neither of them misses my money.
Pete
Old 05-05-2016, 3:11 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not True...the Amazon policy. I just now ordered some Trijicon night sights for a Shield and the order went right through. No problem.

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 05-05-2016, 4:08 PM

I got the same error message for an oil filter for my motorcycle. Couldn't believe it. So I bought it from O’Reilly's for about the same price.
Amazon is still my go to place for many items I want to buy. Free shipping can save a bunch of money over time.
Old 05-05-2016, 4:26 PM

I stopped shopping for anything firearm related on Amazon when it wouldn't let me purchase a Pelican pistol case... OpticsPlanet.com and MidwayUSA.com get all my business now.
Old 05-05-2016, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Bought Ameriglo sights not that long ago from Amazon as well.
Old 05-05-2016, 6:36 PM

My son tried to order an airsoft shotgun on amazon. They said they can not ship to our county. I told him to email them what county we live in and that there are no restrictions on airsoft guns in our county.
They said that it was an error and to try to place the order again but it still didn't work.
He called their CS dept. and they were happy to help him in ordering it over the phone.

Democrats screw poor people in the a** while whispering into their ear that they are trying to help them. - unknown
Old 05-05-2016, 9:07 PM

Happened to me too with different firearm related products, most recently when I was trying to order a blue gun to make a kydex holster...
By the way before someone says something really is probably just wrong with my address, i have used amazon for 3+ years spending thousands of dollars to the same address, never once had this error or any issues. I even tried changing the shipping address to my work, same error.

Last edited by IGORR; 05-06-2016 at 6:23 AM.. Reason: adding info that i forgot
Old 05-05-2016, 10:10 PM

Default Amazon No Longer Allowing CA Residents to Purchase Sights for Firearms

Quote:
It's official, CA is no longer part of the USA.

Exactly

Colts brand new "Spirit of American Freedom" Tribute Pistol
Not available in California!

Last edited by 1911CA; 05-05-2016 at 10:12 PM..
Old 05-06-2016, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't blame any company or private seller for not being inclined to try and figure out the inane minutiae of commie Cali's firearm restriction decrees. The morass of laws is even more compounded when cesspools like Los Angeles can add their own two-cents.
Old 05-06-2016, 3:28 PM

Weird I just bought some troy industries hk style sights yesterday using prime they come tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2016, 8:09 PM

I know of vendors who refuse to have anything to do with California's restrictions and as general purposes will not ship into our blessed state

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk