Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2017, 2:08 PM

Default OC Sheriff Hutchens to retire, endorses Don Barnes

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/27...ans-to-retire/

Anyone have a scoop on Barnes' CCW position? Or anything else noteworthy about him?
Old 06-27-2017, 2:24 PM

We as oc ccw holders need to make our voices heard to whom ever it is that runs
Old 06-27-2017, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

It's already been decided who will be the next Sheriff. I don't know who it is, but more than a handful of others do.
Old 06-27-2017, 7:07 PM

I'm hoping Don Barnes is as supportive, and respects our rights to self defense. Let's start something to reach him, and tell him we need him in our corner.
Old 07-06-2017, 3:16 PM

From 2012, Don Barnes prefers a "may issue" over a "shall issue" policy.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...pp.-to-MPI.pdf
Old 07-18-2017, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

2 posts from the main CCW forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsCCW View Post
I have some inside information about which candidate is pro CCW, it's Barnes. Harrington has been clearly identified by this source who is very reliable to be unfriendly to the cause. Barnes has been identified as being pro CCW and to be working with the community. So spread that around get votes out there for Barnes, cause it might be an uphill battle for him with the OC jail scandal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrac View Post
I received a email from a friend that is a member of the Lincoln Club of Orange County and ran into Don Barnes at a recent event:

"Good news, {Wife's name} attended Lincoln Club meeting with Under Sheriff Don Barnes, he is running for OC Sheriff and is supporting the expansion of the CCWs in the OC."

for what it's worth...

Last edited by Erion929; 07-18-2017 at 1:04 PM..
Old 07-23-2017, 9:24 AM

We need verification of Barnes' leanings. How to do that? Anyone? And, we need Barnes (or whomever) to know that we CCW holders are all voting, 100% voting.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
2 posts from the main CCW forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsCCW
Harrington has been clearly identified by this source who is very reliable to be unfriendly to the cause. Barnes has been identified as being pro CCW and to be working with the community. So spread that around get votes out there for Barnes, cause it might be an uphill battle for him with the OC jail scandal.
From Harrington for Sheriff Facebook page:

Harrington's stance on CCW's

Quote:
Let me be perfectly clear, I support an individual’s second amendment right. Period. I believe in “shall issue” as the standard for law abiding citizens when they apply for a CCW. Period. I believe “may issue” should have no more of a “good cause” test than an individual wants to protect themselves or their families. Period. These are the foundational beliefs forming my position and will be the foundation from which I approach the policy on issuing Carry Concealed Weapon permits (CCW) as the Sheriff of Orange County.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 AM

Guninator, thank you for posting that link. This is great news for us!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:59 PM

From public records of the candidates opinions in various setting it would seem that Harrington is much more pro ccw than Barnes.
Old 12-27-2017, 7:58 AM

Thanks for posting, the pro shall issue candidate gets my vote!
Old 02-26-2018, 7:16 PM

Anyone else have any thoughts or info on this? It seems like Harrington is the better choice as far as CCW goes. Barnes seems to have become “pro ccw” just in time for election??
Old 02-27-2018, 9:13 AM

From BarnesForSheriff.com:

Quote:
I support the 2nd amendment. State law authorizes the Sheriff to issue Concealed Weapon Permits to citizens who can show good cause. In my view any law abiding citizen who seeks a permit has the right to have one issued. In the last three years, under my leadership, OCSD has issued over 10,000 permits to residents. Not one person has misused their permit. Law abiding citizen are responsible gun owners and should have the ability to conceal carry if they believe it is necessary for their personal safety.
Source: https://www.barnesforsheriff.com/iss...ond-amendment/

Personally I think that the verbiage on Harrington's website is more thoughtful and elaborate in defending the rights of the citizens in OC to carry concealed. He even discusses Peruta.

Last edited by smith629; 02-27-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 02-27-2018, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermotoGlock View Post
Anyone else have any thoughts or info on this? It seems like Harrington is the better choice as far as CCW goes. Barnes seems to have become “pro ccw” just in time for election??
I agree, but Sheriff Hutchens was ANTI ccw before Peruta. We need to back a horse that can win, too. Last time, two pro ccw candidates split the vote and both lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 02-27-2018, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith629 View Post

Thank you for sharing that.
Old 03-06-2018, 3:38 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

From a facebook post:

ATTN Orange County voters: In 2005/06 A OCSD Sgt. popped up on my a radar. A young, smart Sergeant that was destined to go places. At that time with no political ambitions he was very Pro-2A and very Pro CCW. As he advanced through the ranks, every time he was over the Professional Standards Division which runs the CCW Bureau, good things always happened. Once he became the Under Sheriff, changes took off like a rocket. Allowing five guns instead of three, now unlimited. Changing the course of fire to less rounds. Taking the whole process online to cut down the renewal process from 6 months to 6 weeks. This list goes on.

Don Barnes is now running for Sheriff and needs our help. He is now a member of this Closed group. He will answer your questions here when he has time. He can not campaign on county time.

HUGE NOTE: Being still involved in Law Enforcement, I RESPECT Rank. Don doesn't like to be called Chief or Under Sheriff. While I have a huge problem with that, I honor and respect his wishes. That is very hard for me. Just call him Don.
Old 05-01-2018, 6:18 PM

So any updates on best candidate?
Seems top 2 are Barnes and Harrington at this time.
Old 05-03-2018, 9:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Time is wasting.

Does anyone have info to share on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-03-2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Last time, two pro ccw candidates split the vote and both lost.
Not true, actually. Hutchens won with more than 50% of the vote. Even if one of her opponents had dropped out and ALL of his votes had gone over the other, (an unlikely occurrence), she still would have won.

I have heard good things about Barnes (similar to DVSmith's post above) but the following makes me wonder:

Barnes stated he favors “reasonable issue” over shall-issue (despite the success of shall-issue, which has swept the country over the last three decades). I have no idea how reliable that quote is, I just found it Googling Barnes.

Edit: Poking around a bit more, I found this PDF from 2012. Points 7 and 16 are the most relevant:
Quote:
7. If the “good cause” requirement were eliminated from Policy 218 and from the Penal Code, thereby increasing the numbers of persons eligible to carry concealed handguns, neither the citizens of Orange County nor its law enforcement officers would be safer.
Quote:
16. The “good cause” requirement allows Orange County and the State to limit the number of weapons that the public at large has access to immediately, which protects both officers and the public. Increasing the numbers of concealed weapons increases the threat and possibility of firearm violence to the community at large and to law enforcement officers.
Trying to give this the benefit of the doubt, this was before the Peruta decision, which seems to have changed the policy. At least Barnes cites Peruta in this (very brief) clip where he defends his 2A credentials. Still, he goes into great detail (under penalty of perjury) in explaining why the Good Cause requirement is necessary. Hard to reconcile that with his current position.

Last edited by JackOfClubs; 05-03-2018 at 9:44 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 11:17 PM

I don’t know what to think. I’ve read the same deposition posted above about Barnes old opinions. I know people change over time, but it seems likely to me he changed his opinions to get votes. I like Harrington, he seems more consistent with his 2nd amendment stance.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:27 AM

Do we know which candidate is supported by California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA)?
Old 06-04-2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingers View Post
Do we know which candidate is supported by California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA)?
CRPA endorses Barnes. It's on their website.
Old 06-05-2018, 8:31 PM

Anyone have the pending results?
Old 06-05-2018, 9:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriller134 View Post
Anyone have the pending results?
Winner Don Barnes....he’s a good guy

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 06-06-2018, 4:55 AM

Barnes hasn't officially won yet. Right now he has >50% of the vote, which would mean he wins, but once they tally all the ballots if that falls below 50% he goes into a run-off against Nguyen, which is a very scary proposition as from what I can read between the lines he is not pro-CCW. I am hoping it doesn't come to this.