Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead*Reckoned View Post
I'll be passing 6 weeks after date of fingerprinting and application drop off very soon.... ugh. Tried checking with the doj livescan automated phone number... no luck there either!
Did anyone deal with Penny?
Penny is great to work with. All the staff are very responsive.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 04-22-2014, 12:33 PM

I'm wondering why the process takes 2-4 months after the interview to get a decision. If there are no red flags, shouldn't it be a quick approval?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorpark93021 View Post
I'm wondering why the process takes 2-4 months after the interview to get a decision. If there are no red flags, shouldn't it be a quick approval?
Your forgetting the fact that they DO NOT want to issue... they have the power to make this as painful as possible and they are crossing their fingers that Peruta is overturned and they can go back to business as usual.
Old 04-22-2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_X_123 View Post
Your forgetting the fact that they DO NOT want to issue... they have the power to make this as painful as possible and they are crossing their fingers that Peruta is overturned and they can go back to business as usual.
I'm afraid you're right... it's such a shame. It's unbelievably frustrating that they will purposely drag their feet rather than respect the court's decision.
Old 04-22-2014, 1:32 PM
CGN Contributor

During my process last year, it took 4 months to get mine in hand, and the few guys I know that also got theirs waited 4 - 6 months. Just be patient.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 04-22-2014, 1:40 PM
CGN Contributor

You have to remember that there are new applications and renewals happening at the same time. Also, there a good number of applicants that are not on Calguns.net. When I was there last time, 3 others were turning in apps and had no idea that Calguns even existed. Most of my friends that are applying are not members, so its not only the people on this forum that are applying - there is a ton of people applying. I thought at one time I read that VCSO expected over 50,000 new apps this year alone.

Old 04-22-2014, 1:46 PM

You're right... you go into this process expecting it will not be a quick one. I've read in other forums that Orange County residents have it really rough. Appointments just to get fingerprinted are stretching into mid-2015!
Old 04-22-2014, 3:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Just got a call.
I got an interview scheduled

My initial application was 3/12. So about 5 weeks I got the call

May 6 Tuesday 9am with Detective Gonzales

Bring utility and lease agreement

He also asked if I was gonna carry at work and if I served in the military over the phone

I also asked if other applicants hand their CCW approved and he said "YES"
Old 04-22-2014, 5:24 PM

After your interview the officer makes his report and then Your file gets sent up the chain of command until it reaches the sheriffs desk.
Old 04-22-2014, 5:40 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hmm...

1. CMP M1 Garand wait was four months
2. Form 4 for my AOW was eight months
3. Wait for my FFL03 was five months

Being a California gun owner takes patience, but your patience is rewarded. I can do 4-6 months with my eyes closed, I just hope the long wait results in triumph, not disappointment.

Old 04-22-2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
Just got a call.
I got an interview scheduled

My initial application was 3/12. So about 5 weeks I got the call

May 6 Tuesday 9am with Detective Gonzales

Bring utility and lease agreement

He also asked if I was gonna carry at work and if I served in the military over the phone

I also asked if other applicants hand their CCW approved and he said "YES"
Good update defcon, thanks. Counting the wait between phone call and interview, that's 7 weeks... that's about how long I waited for initial application.

I wonder why carrying at work and military service matters.

Thanks and keep us updated!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 PM

Carrying at work I assume they call your boss and let them know/ask if they know.

Military? might request copy of your service records.
--------------------

Defcon, congrats good luck with the interview.
Old 04-23-2014, 8:55 AM

I'm planning on submitting my CCW form for the first time, since I have never done one before, will it take longer for me to get an appt.? Im guessing there going to take care of the people that got denied the first time right?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
Carrying at work I assume they call your boss and let them know/ask if they know.

Military? might request copy of your service records.
--------------------

Defcon, congrats good luck with the interview.
I have a friend that said he would carry at work and they wanted a note from his work saying they approved him to carry at work.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 04-23-2014, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrylee186 View Post
I'm planning on submitting my CCW form for the first time, since I have never done one before, will it take longer for me to get an appt.? Im guessing there going to take care of the people that got denied the first time right?
My advice to you would be to just call and make an appointment as soon as you can. You will probably have to wait until mid-July for an appointment.
Old 04-23-2014, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorpark93021 View Post
My advice to you would be to just call and make an appointment as soon as you can. You will probably have to wait until mid-July for an appointment.
Yep, I'm a little late to the game and just called today. Got my appointment set for July 9th.
Old 04-23-2014, 7:01 PM

FYI. I called back in March and got an appt in mid-march to do the DOJ and turn in my app. My interview was almost exactly 4 weeks later and seemed to go well. The Det simply made sure that I understood the questions. He delved into my past as it relates to each question on the app. He said i should hear in 2 to 3 months.
Old 04-23-2014, 8:02 PM

Thanks guys. So how are the interviews? What are the questions and what are they wanting to find out about you? I just want to be ready when I go haha.
Old 04-24-2014, 7:50 PM

Default Live Scan anywhere for OCSD
I just received a response from the Orange County Board of Supervisors regarding an email I sent yesterday. We're now able to Live Scan at any of the locations and not just the one at the OCSD in Santa Ana.

Quote:
Mr. Ryman,

I just received a response from the Sheriff’s Department regarding your email that I forwarded to them. Below is that response:

In the last few days some Board offices have received emails from constituent expressing concern about a backlog in Live Scan (fingerprinting) appointments for CCW applicants. The constituents attributed this back log to the fact that they believed the Sheriff’s Department required an applicant to have Live Scan performed only at the location on Flower Street in Santa Ana (on the first floor of the Brad Gates Building).

Today our staff did check in to this issue and found that we do (did), in practice, refer the applicants to our department’s Live Scan unit for processing. This has traditionally been done to avoid any DOJ report routing issues and DOJ fee collection issues. This was simply a practice and no official department policy exists mandating the use of our Live Scan Unit to facilitate this portion of the CCW process. Staff has contacted DOJ to clarify these issues in order to start allowing applicants to schedule and conduct the Live Scan portion of the process at any one of the DOJ approved Live Scan locations listed on their website (roughly 105 locations in Orange County alone). Applicants will still be afforded the option of utilizing our Live Scan facilities, but will now be able to use alternate locations if they choose to do so.

As of today, when an applicant is sent their “Approval Packet,” it will include the appropriate DOJ Live Scan form and associated instructions referring them to the Live Scan step at any facility listed on the DOJ website. This should help alleviate the “bottleneck” effect at the Live Scan step and provide the applicant a great deal of latitude in choosing a time and place that works best for their schedule.

Please continue to share the feedback you receive about the CCW process. As you can see, such suggestions are acted upon when possible. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again for writing. It appears your email helped a significant amount of people.

Sincerely,

Erik
Office of Supervisor Pat Bates
Old 04-25-2014, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strandrunner View Post
Default Live Scan anywhere for OCSD
I just received a response from the Orange County Board of Supervisors regarding an email I sent yesterday. We're now able to Live Scan at any of the locations and not just the one at the OCSD in Santa Ana.

Quote:
Mr. Ryman,

I just received a response from the Sheriff’s Department regarding your email that I forwarded to them. Below is that response:

In the last few days some Board offices have received emails from constituent expressing concern about a backlog in Live Scan (fingerprinting) appointments for CCW applicants. The constituents attributed this back log to the fact that they believed the Sheriff’s Department required an applicant to have Live Scan performed only at the location on Flower Street in Santa Ana (on the first floor of the Brad Gates Building).

Today our staff did check in to this issue and found that we do (did), in practice, refer the applicants to our department’s Live Scan unit for processing. This has traditionally been done to avoid any DOJ report routing issues and DOJ fee collection issues. This was simply a practice and no official department policy exists mandating the use of our Live Scan Unit to facilitate this portion of the CCW process. Staff has contacted DOJ to clarify these issues in order to start allowing applicants to schedule and conduct the Live Scan portion of the process at any one of the DOJ approved Live Scan locations listed on their website (roughly 105 locations in Orange County alone). Applicants will still be afforded the option of utilizing our Live Scan facilities, but will now be able to use alternate locations if they choose to do so.

As of today, when an applicant is sent their “Approval Packet,” it will include the appropriate DOJ Live Scan form and associated instructions referring them to the Live Scan step at any facility listed on the DOJ website. This should help alleviate the “bottleneck” effect at the Live Scan step and provide the applicant a great deal of latitude in choosing a time and place that works best for their schedule.

Please continue to share the feedback you receive about the CCW process. As you can see, such suggestions are acted upon when possible. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again for writing. It appears your email helped a significant amount of people.

Sincerely,

Erik
Office of Supervisor Pat Bates

There was a guy that did his prints off site and was told by the doj it was ok. Penny pulled his fill and said sorry you have drop off your app and get fingerprinted here. You lost your money. I was there watching. Just stick with the format drop off app and pay for prints. Get interview. Qualify and pay your 80. It may seem like it could faster. But just do it the right way
Old 04-25-2014, 7:00 AM

Update to the forum, I filed my application in March, had Lifescan and paid my fees. Had personal interview on April 10th now the good news, I received a letter yesterday informing me that I was to call the VCSD to arrange an appointment to sign the permit and pay the final fee and to also contact an approved CCW trainer to get certified on the weapons listed on my application. Seems like I was approved!! One question though, now that my application was approved, if Peruta is overturned will they rescind my permit?
Old 04-25-2014, 7:04 AM

Congrats Bluemaxx, that's extremely encouraging news! The process seems incredibly fast compared to their estimate, I hope we are all as fortunate as you. Keep us posted as to how long it takes to arrange an appointment and to actually get the permit in hand after certification. Congrats again...
Old 04-25-2014, 7:30 AM
Barely here....
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemaxx51 View Post
Update to the forum, I filed my application in March, had Lifescan and paid my fees. Had personal interview on April 10th now the good news, I received a letter yesterday informing me that I was to call the VCSD to arrange an appointment to sign the permit and pay the final fee and to also contact an approved CCW trainer to get certified on the weapons listed on my application. Seems like I was approved!! One question though, now that my application was approved, if Peruta is overturned will they rescind my permit?

Thanks for the update.

Did you use a GC other than "self defense"?

Thanks,

RM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2014, 7:39 AM

Default CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMonkey View Post
Thanks for the update.

Did you use a GC other than "self defense"?

Thanks,

RM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RM,

No,
I listed only lawful self defense as my GC. I just spoke with the VCSO and they told me to get my certification done and then just come in when I'm ready (no appointment necessary) and they would issue the permit at that time. Seems pretty easy.
Old 04-25-2014, 7:52 AM
Barely here....
CGN Contributor

Quote:
RM,

No,
I listed only lawful self defense as my GC. I just spoke with the VCSO and they told me to get my certification done and then just come in when I'm ready (no appointment necessary) and they would issue the permit at that time. Seems pretty easy.
Awesome, you might the first one we know of that has been approved that is not reapplying.

What date in March did you drop off you application?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-25-2014, 7:57 AM

I was just gonna say the same thing, I think Bluemaxx is the first. Only 2 weeks between interview and approval letter? Incredible... did they tell you 2-4 months as well when you interviewed?
Old 04-25-2014, 8:38 AM
CGN Contributor

Not true, maybe for Calguns.net people, there has been approvals. You all can't assume that the only applying/approved are from this forum.

Old 04-25-2014, 8:40 AM

Talking CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMonkey View Post
Awesome, you might the first one we know of that has been approved that is not reapplying.

What date in March did you drop off you application?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I dropped off my application on March 10th, had my interview on April 9th and was told that it would probably be 6-8 weeks before I would hear anything but as I said, I received my letter (dtd April 23) yesterday giving me the news.
Old 04-25-2014, 8:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinktothat421 View Post
There was a guy that did his prints off site and was told by the doj it was ok. Penny pulled his fill and said sorry you have drop off your app and get fingerprinted here. You lost your money. I was there watching. Just stick with the format drop off app and pay for prints. Get interview. Qualify and pay your 80. It may seem like it could faster. But just do it the right way
So true, just follow the procedures in the instructions.

When I was in the office last time adding a weapon, one of the guys had the application, no money to pay initial fees, thought he was walking out with a permit. And he was pissed that they could not really help him. He did not read the application instructions at all.

Old 04-25-2014, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
When I was in the office last time adding a weapon, one of the guys had the application, no money to pay initial fees, thought he was walking out with a permit. And he was pissed that they could not really help him. He did not read the application instructions at all.
When I was there dropping off my app, another guy was convinced he was getting his interview on app day as well. I think part of the problem is the way the forms are presented on the website. There's the instructions, then separately, the application. They should really combine the two into one document, so the first pages of the 'application' are the instructions on how the process is going to go.
Old 04-25-2014, 9:11 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
congrats man.

who was your interviewer? what kind of questions did he/she ask you?

any trick questions?
Old 04-25-2014, 9:25 AM

wow....that is what I've been waiting to hear! great news. congrats!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
congrats man.

who was your interviewer? what kind of questions did he/she ask you?

any trick questions?
Thanks defcon, my interviewer was a female investigator who was very nice and professional. The questions were very basic, confirmed my answers on my application, asked whether I would be carrying at work and that was pretty much it. Very painless frankly.
Old 04-25-2014, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks defcon, my interviewer was a female investigator who was very nice and professional. The questions were very basic, confirmed my answers on my application, asked whether I would be carrying at work and that was pretty much it. Very painless frankly.
This gives all of us that recently applied a huge burst of hope.
1518-B Los Angeles Avenue
Simi Valley, CA 93065
(805) 526-6563
www.fortcouragearmory.com
Old 04-25-2014, 1:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
sweet

where are you going to take your classes? and how much?
Old 04-25-2014, 1:48 PM

Based on all the timing it looks like I should be getting my call within the next week to get my in person interview scheduled.

After reading this thread, Huge hope indeed!
Old 04-25-2014, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_X_123 View Post
Based on all the timing it looks like I should be getting my call within the next week to get my in person interview scheduled.

After reading this thread, Huge hope indeed!
Racer when was your initial drop off appointment? Are you thinking it'll take about 6 weeks to get the call for an interview?
Old 04-25-2014, 8:12 PM

Turned my app in March 26th. So I'm hoping soon to get a phone call...
Old 04-28-2014, 8:03 AM

Live scanned on 2/28.
Background cleared on 3/24.
In-person interview 4/11.
Notice to call and come in to sign the permit received 4/25!

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 04-28-2014, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendl View Post
Live scanned on 2/28.
Background cleared on 3/24.
In-person interview 4/11.
Notice to call and come in to sign the permit received 4/25!
Congrats Grendl!! Just inside of 2 months, wow! How do you know the date your background cleared? Is that the day you got the call to interview?