Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-08-2014, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo_Guy View Post
I'm getting conflicting info from my merry band of cohorts. I've heard that VCSO is now doing the interview at that time the app is dropped off. Is this the case, or are the interviews still being scheduled after the DOJ approves the background? My first appointment is two weeks out and I'd really like to know what to expect. Thanks -
All has been discussed in this thread... First Appointment is to drop off packet and finger print, then after a wait of 6-8 weeks you should get a call to schedule an in person interview.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I'm getting conflicting info from my merry band of cohorts. I've heard that VCSO is now doing the interview at that time the app is dropped off. Is this the case, or are the interviews still being scheduled after the DOJ approves the background? My first appointment is two weeks out and I'd really like to know what to expect. Thanks -
Having just done my 1st appointment yesterday, I can tell you from personal experience, this is NOT the case. First visit is to drop off app, pay first installment of fees and get Live Scanned. I showed up at 10AM for my 11AM appointment in error. I had to wait until the 10AM guy was taken care of and then they took me with no problem. Even with the little extra wait time, I was on the road home by 10:30AM.
1518-B Los Angeles Avenue
Simi Valley, CA 93065
(805) 526-6563
www.fortcouragearmory.com
Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
they're wrong.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:51 PM

I heard they give you cupcakes at the first appointment and birthday cake at the second appointment.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 04-08-2014, 1:46 PM

Dropped off my app this morning. There was another guy there who had an appointment after mine, and he was pretty convinced he was told over the phone that he'd have his interview today after submitting his app. Not sure where people are getting this from? I just signed, paid, live scanned, and was sent on my way.
Old 04-08-2014, 1:57 PM
CGN Contributor

That's the process. I was in there yesterday for a weapon add. Some of the misinformed are coming in with "what they heard" from someone and getting a reality check at the counter.

1. There is a formal process that the VCSO follows - not what everyone heard from their friends. Read the instructions.
2. There is an actual cost involved in applying for a permit - it's not free.
3. And demanding things is not a good idea - just common sense.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 04-08-2014, 3:46 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

I originally made my appointment in mid March, the date was 1 May. I had to change it due to a change in my work schedule and now it's 6 June. A pretty good wait.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-08-2014, 4:43 PM

i'm scheduled for a personal interview next week. My reason for CCW are personal protection and self-defense. I didn't add more since these are the reasons require for shall issue as decided by the 9th circuit court before AG harris challenge the decision.Now my question since AG Harris is challenging the decision is my reason is enough to be granted CCW license or there is a chance i'll will be denied.

Last edited by firefoxcobra; 04-08-2014 at 7:17 PM..
Old 04-08-2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
That's the process. I was in there yesterday for a weapon add. Some of the misinformed are coming in with "what they heard" from someone and getting a reality check at the counter.

1. There is a formal process that the VCSO follows - not what everyone heard from their friends. Read the instructions.
2. There is an actual cost involved in applying for a permit - it's not free.
3. And demanding things is not a good idea - just common sense.
Question on adding a weapon? What form do you need and do you just qualifying with that weapon and what? Haha just trying to see what I need to do after my approval? I'll be first Liston my lc9 and m&p9. I'll be looking to add a better carry gun to my collection. I'm think mp shield or xds or kimber ultra carry.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

I've been calling like every day to see if anyone has canceled. I was told people don't usually cancel they just don't ever show up. Looks like I'll be going there after school from now on to check for no shows
Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxcobra View Post
i'm scheduled for a personal interview next week. My reason for CCW are personal protection and self-defense. I didn't add more since these are the reasons require for shall issue as decided by the 9th circuit court before AG harris challenge the decision.Now my question since AG Harris is challenging the decision is my reason is enough to be granted CCW license or there is a chance i'll will be denied.
i'm assuming that since you've already been scheduled for a personal interview, your 'good cause reason' was accepted. If it wasn't, I don't understand why they would spend the time to interview you in person. just my thought.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinktothat421 View Post
Question on adding a weapon? What form do you need and do you just qualifying with that weapon and what? Haha just trying to see what I need to do after my approval? I'll be first Liston my lc9 and m&p9. I'll be looking to add a better carry gun to my collection. I'm think mp shield or xds or kimber ultra carry.
You will first need to go to one of the CCW Course instructor and shoot the weapon to qualify. They will either send in your qualification form to the Sheriff's office or hand it to you to take in. Their is a DOJ form to add the weapon. The VCSO has it there, pay the fee.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
You will first need to go to one of the CCW Course instructor and shoot the weapon to qualify. They will either send in your qualification form to the Sheriff's office or hand it to you to take in. Their is a DOJ form to add the weapon. The VCSO has it there, pay the fee.
thanks for the info. seems straight forward enough. what is the fee?
Old 04-09-2014, 1:46 PM

I've been denied before for "good cause", but I still had to go through the song and dance of the interview before they denied me.
Old 04-09-2014, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorpark93021 View Post
I've been denied before for "good cause", but I still had to go through the song and dance of the interview before they denied me.
well that's no bueno. hopefully it changes this time around.
Old 04-09-2014, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorpark93021 View Post
Same here, around 2003. Back then, you submitted your app while you did your interview, there was no fingerprinting, and I honestly don't remember if I had to pay anything or not. Boy how things have changed...
Old 04-09-2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotacocombo View Post
Same here, around 2003. Back then, you submitted your app while you did your interview, there was no fingerprinting, and I honestly don't remember if I had to pay anything or not. Boy how things have changed...
My denial came in 2006, and then too I didn't have to pay any fees or get fingerprinted unless my application was accepted. Luckily I didn't have to, otherwise it would have added insult to injury.
Old 04-09-2014, 7:59 PM

Back in 2011 I submitted and denied. I had the interview but no finger prints and no payment until you were accepted.
Old 04-09-2014, 8:18 PM

I paid, Got finger printed, had my interview then got denied in dec. then reopened in March and have to pay 95 for finger prints again and I hope no interview, then approval.
Old 04-09-2014, 9:44 PM

in the application, it states to "use additional pages if necessary" if adding more than 3 handguns. does anybody know the proper way of "adding more pages"?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRon View Post
in the application, it states to "use additional pages if necessary" if adding more than 3 handguns. does anybody know the proper way of "adding more pages"?
I'd suggest just printing out a second copy of page 5 and add a note on the first one referencing the second one, so it isn't overlooked.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I'd suggest just printing out a second copy of page 5 and add a note on the first one referencing the second one, so it isn't overlooked.
that's basically what i ended up doing. thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxcobra View Post
If the 9th over turns their decision then it will be iffy that the VSO will change their policy again and when if they revoke permits. It might be that you have to resubmit your good cause on a renewal or they might pull them...who knows. Since you already have the app in and a interview appointment, I would just go with what you have and deal with what might happen later. That is my 2 pennys.
Old 04-10-2014, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRon View Post
thanks for the info. seems straight forward enough. what is the fee?
It is $10, but you also have to go through quallification with the new firearm before it can be added.
Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Old 04-10-2014, 2:58 PM

Quote:
completed my app appointment today. deputy stated that the extra copy of page 5 for listing additional firearms was fine. took about 25 min overall. most of it was waiting. i was told 4-6 weeks to hear a response. nice staff.
Old 04-10-2014, 3:25 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
If the 9th over turns their decision then it will be iffy that the VSO will change their policy again and when if they revoke permits. It might be that you have to resubmit your good cause on a renewal or they might pull them...who knows. Since you already have the app in and a interview appointment, I would just go with what you have and deal with what might happen later. That is my 2 pennys.
My friend is a Sheriff who works under Sheriff Dean. I asked him about this and he said he would be surprised, if Peruta falls, if they would rescind CCWs granted under the present "Shall Issue" rules , although I suppose there would be the "old rules" in effect when you go to renew in two years? This isn't in concrete, but my friend thinks Sheriff Dean is actually not going through the same political machinations as his colleagues in other more liberal counties. Don't forget, VC is not that liberal in comparison, politically.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Just had my in-person interview. It was exactly six weeks after my fingerprinting. The interviewer said I might not receive the letter approving/denying for another two to four months.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Vendor/Retailer

so you gotta wait 2-4 months until you can find out and take the CCW course/training.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 AM

He said "we advise people not to take the training until they get their letter." I'm hoping his 2-4 months was him being overly conservative. I'll keep this group updated.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendl View Post
He said "we advise people not to take the training until they get their letter." I'm hoping his 2-4 months was him being overly conservative. I'll keep this group updated.
That's smart, you never know if something might change related to the training requirements.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM

I'm still wondering why this whole process would take so long. The investigation portion, sure. Tons of people applying, lots of things to check. But past the point where they figure out you aren't cooking meth or eating babies, what's the hold up?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I'm still wondering why this whole process would take so long. The investigation portion, sure. Tons of people applying, lots of things to check. But past the point where they figure out you aren't cooking meth or eating babies, what's the hold up?
im wondering why we're not seeing people getting interviews in the past 2-3 months.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
im wondering why we're not seeing people getting interviews in the past 2-3 months.
Just three posts ago I said I was interviewed this morning.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Just three posts ago I said I was interviewed this morning.
i know. im just saying there should be way more than just you.

i wonder how many interviews are they doing a day?

how many interviewers are there?
Old 04-11-2014, 1:18 PM

2-4 months to get your letter!? Are they taking that long to hopefully see what the 9th circut does it hopes it'll flip back!?
Old 04-11-2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan6414 View Post
2-4 months to get your letter!? Are they taking that long to hopefully see what the 9th circut does it hopes it'll flip back!?
This is along the lines of what I'm thinking. Call me a pessimist and a cynic, but they're certainly raking in a ton of cash by processing the thousands of apps and continuing the process to just short of the point of issuance. The interviewer should be able to determine whether or not they're going to approve before you even get out of the seat.. so why such a long delay after that? Until we start seeing some post-Peruta application "I got my LTC today!" posts, I'm still wary of the whole thing.
Old 04-11-2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Just had my in-person interview. It was exactly six weeks after my fingerprinting. The interviewer said I might not receive the letter approving/denying for another two to four months.
This is the post I've been waiting weeks for Grendl!! Thanks very much for sharing. This is the last piece of the puzzle. We know 6-8 weeks between application and interview, and 2-4 months between interview and decision. So about 6 months total. When I applied in 2006 it took longer than 6 months just to interview. But the denial came in the mail as soon they could put a stamp on it. I think I received it within 48 hours of my interview.
Old 04-12-2014, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You must be the person I talked with before he was called to be interviewed.
Old 04-12-2014, 8:32 AM

0900, gray hair and glasses? That's me.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Old 04-12-2014, 9:18 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This is along the lines of what I'm thinking. Call me a pessimist and a cynic, but they're certainly raking in a ton of cash by processing the thousands of apps and continuing the process to just short of the point of issuance. The interviewer should be able to determine whether or not they're going to approve before you even get out of the seat.. so why such a long delay after that? Until we start seeing some post-Peruta application "I got my LTC today!" posts, I'm still wary of the whole thing.
I was just in there last week and was talking with 4 other people, none of them on Calguns.net. 1 renewal, 1 getting his new permit, and 2 others turning in new apps. So, just because there are no individuals that have received there apps so far that have applied post-Peruta, dosen't mean that it is not moving forward. As a matter of fact, I have 5 other friends that are in the process and are not on Calguns.net as well.

As far as the money, the application process is only a small part of it. There are fees that the DOJ, FBI charges etc., to do the back ground checks. I don't think that the VCSO is collecting any money on their part until after you are approved, so for me, after going through the process, the cost (investment) for the app is minimal compared to the overall cost of the weapons, CCW course, continued training and insurance. Everyone should count the cost before applying. There will be a monetary and time cost to do so.