Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-06-2014, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendl View Post
Could those people confirm? That is, those who were previously denied and subsequently received an approval since February 13th? I can see them taking our money, but I'm surprised they'd issue when the situation has not been finalized.
Look at this thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=13571931
Old 03-06-2014, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_X_123 View Post
I will actually call tomorrow and ask. I will also ask about reopening denied applications.

My appointment is 20 days but the sooner the better
Call up dude! The sooner the better. Just tell Maria you'd like to speak to a detective because you were denied for good cause and want to re open and she will transfer you. You might have to leave a message but they add back about an hour after. It was lunch time too when I called.
Old 03-07-2014, 6:28 AM

Mt dilemma is that my what I put back in 2011 is not really what I would like on my application now.

So I'm not sure I want it reopened. Can I add more details and "good cause"
Old 03-07-2014, 9:10 AM

I got the call: my original appointment was 25 June, it is now 15 April!
Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Old 03-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Called yesterday (3-6) and was given an April 10 appointment. Not bad.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Called just now and spoke to a really nice young lady... moved my May 10 appointment to April 17. She said they're doing later appointments which have opened up more slots.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 PM

Called today my Appt is April 17th.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 03-07-2014, 1:57 PM

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/..._id=0000000722

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...-Intervene.pdf

Last edited by Librarian; 03-07-2014 at 4:10 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 2:41 PM

The big question here is how long will the process take from the day we drop off the application to the day our application is approved or denied... Until we know that timeframe, our initial appointment might mean very little. Has anyone heard anything more about the interview now possibly being a phone interview?
Old 03-07-2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorpark93021 View Post
The big question here is how long will the process take from the day we drop off the application to the day our application is approved or denied... Until we know that timeframe, our initial appointment might mean very little. Has anyone heard anything more about the interview now possibly being a phone interview?

The lady that did my fingerprinting said its about 4 weeks wait for them to call if its denied or approve.
Old 03-07-2014, 7:13 PM

When they called yesterday to reschedule my appointment I asked about the whole phone interview rumor. The lady I spoke with had no idea if that was true or not.
Old 03-07-2014, 8:20 PM

let us know if you hear anything about GMC
Old 03-07-2014, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
the law is 90 days from the turn in of your application you should be notified of denial or approval.

I believe its still an in person interview. the background check can take up to 4 weeks to complete
Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 PM

Devil Dawg & 19K: thanks for sharing that information!! I hope they can adhere to the 90 day timeframe. If that's the law maybe they'll have to hire more people and speed up the interview process!
Old 03-08-2014, 5:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Devil Dawg & 19K: thanks for sharing that information!! I hope they can adhere to the 90 day timeframe. If that's the law maybe they'll have to hire more people and speed up the interview process!
well not so much, that's why they are scheduling the appointments out so far. the interview is pretty short too. I was in there no more than 20 minutes.
Old 03-08-2014, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersandguns View Post
No he actually didn't look like a delinquent. Think he said he grew avocados around the county.
What do "delinquents" look like? I'd like to know in case I run across any.
Old 03-08-2014, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood7 View Post
The tactical reload consists of the instructor putting a dummy round in your magazine so you don't know when your gun will just go "click". At this time you need to perform a quick clear (Tap, Rack, Bang) finish the magazine off, eject the empty magazine; Load a new magazine & finish shooting.
You are confusing, or combining, reloads with a malfunction drill. The "dummy round" and tap & rack, are to test response to malfunctions.

Tactical Reload: The purpose is to prevent shooting dry. Let's say you're in a shoot house and you encounter three targets and put three rounds in each one. If you have a 12+1 round mag that would leave you with 4 rounds. You would grab a fresh mag off the belt, and with the same hand, eject the current mag and replace with a fresh mag - seat the new mag and stow the old, then continue through the house.

Emergency Reload: You shot dry, and need a fresh mag ASAP. Using the same situation above, you then encounter another threat and immediately dump your last four rounds into the target. You've now shot dry, so you dump the mag while reaching back for a fresh mag, preferably behind cover.
Old 03-09-2014, 2:30 PM

Default From Calccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Order entered today:

Each party is each directed to file a response of no more than 6,000 words addressing the pending motions to intervene filed with this Court on February 27, 2014. Each response shall address: 1) Motion to Intervene by the State of California, 2) Motion for Leave to Intervene by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and 3) Petition for Rehearing En Banc by Amici Curiae California Police Chiefs’ Association and California Peace Officers’ Association insofar as the Petition is a motion to intervene. See p. 2, n.2. The responses shall be filed within 21 days of this order. [9004006] (SM)

So that means we wait THREE MORE WEEKS.
If I were the lawyer for the Brady and Chief's assoc I'd be quaking in my boots right about now.

Evidence:
*6000 word limitation on brief - that's only about 10 pages for 3 major issues. That probably means the 9th already knows what it's going to do and isn't giving anyone any leeway to throw smoke and mirrors into the mix. Yes, the 6000 word limit is common for reply briefs, but really, in this particular case given the issues presented and the fact that there are 3 issues being briefed, that's not a lot of room to argue very much.
*Releasing Richards means that no matter what the AG says in her brief, the panel is NOT going to rehear Peruta. It might mean that the AG gets to intervene but no en banc.
*releasing Richards with the concurring opinion of Thomas (the Peruta dissenting judge) means that there is no political willpower in the rest of the circuit to go en banc.
*Without any muscle to force en banc either by persuasion of the justices or through the pending motions, the Brady's and the Chiefs are going to have to justify their motions as being somehow relevant to the CASE (not the issues) and that they could have had a likelyhood of a favorable outcome on the merits of their motions.

Given those elements, I don't know that the Brady's or Chief's assoc can meet the requirement of merit.

BTW, the timeline is more than the 21 days. The 21 days is for briefing not the discussion and/or arguing the content of the briefs. The court will take additional time to do that and what that will be is (afaik) still not determined. Then there will be an additional 7 days after the decision on the motions before the mandate is released.

It could be months/years before the final resolution of the case as we discovered in Nordyke.
I woke up
Sittin' on my butt.
With the smell of turnips
Wafting through the air....

But, honey, I don't care;
Just keep holding on to me.

Licensed California Attorney at Law
California CCW permit holder
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Ventura County "approved list" CCW Instructor
Old 03-09-2014, 3:34 PM

Got denied a few months back for not having good cause. Going to call and get my case reopened.
Old 03-10-2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyd View Post
What do "delinquents" look like? I'd like to know in case I run across any.
they sorda look like a cross between Michael Moore and Sean Penn.
Old 03-10-2014, 2:57 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Just called and asked for an appointment. The lady I spoke with said 28 Aporil was the earliest they had. Fortunatly based on my work sched I was looking for later that week so I went with 1 May instead.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 03-10-2014, 7:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
the law is 90 days from the turn in of your application you should be notified of denial or approval.

I believe its still an in person interview. the background check can take up to 4 weeks to complete

Is that CA law? My AZ CCW took waaaaaay more time then that.
Old 03-10-2014, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Is that CA law? My AZ CCW took waaaaaay more time then that.
Yes. From the day you turn in your application you need to have your approval or denial letter within 90 days.

Last edited by 19K; 03-11-2014 at 7:16 AM..
Old 03-14-2014, 8:59 AM

Complete process from submitting application to walking out with CCW about 4.5 months. Things probably have changed in VC since the ruling. Interview is in person. VCSD does a very through and professional job.
Old 03-14-2014, 9:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROM1 View Post
Complete process from submitting application to walking out with CCW about 4.5 months. Things probably have changed in VC since the ruling. Interview is in person. VCSD does a very through and professional job.
any trick questions with the in person interview?

what kind of questions did the person ask you?
Old 03-14-2014, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
any trick questions with the in person interview?

what kind of questions did the person ask you?
in 2011 when I went through the process (and subsequently denied) the interview was about 30 minutes and just basically went line by line through the application.

The only trick question was the "good cause" section.

Back then I used self defense as my good cause, along with some other details, and the denial letter siad, and I quote, "Pepper spray has been proven effective and is a non-lethal alternative and is legal to carry in most cases" among some other things but the gist was "DENIED!"

Hope the process is less that 4.5 months with the "Inundation" as Maria put it.
Old 03-14-2014, 3:58 PM

My buddy said in his interview that the questions about good cause were the only real trick too. The officer was looking for a way to trip him up. "you carry large sums of money". "can't you get a guard service to do it?". Agreeing with the officer and not having a "that would be way to costly and the hours of pick up are late" answer would get you denied. Just that kind of stuff. Make sure you have your P's an Q's set.
Old 03-14-2014, 4:01 PM
Barely here....
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
My buddy said in his interview that the questions about good cause were the only real trick too. The officer was looking for a way to trip him up. "you carry large sums of money". "can't you get a guard service to do it?". Agreeing with the officer and not having a "that would be way to costly and the hours of pick up are late" answer would get you denied. Just that kind of stuff. Make sure you have your P's an Q's set.
When did he interview?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-14-2014, 4:51 PM
CGN Contributor

I think each situation is different and carnicore is wrong in that you would be denied with that particular response. I know 3 individuals that had similar responses including myself and I was approved. Be truthful & honest in your answers.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 03-15-2014, 9:54 AM

My buddy got his before Dean was elected so Dean could have had a policy change. It was obviously before the "good cause" change was implemented. Simi is right that each situation is different as well as each interviewer too. They read you and decide at that point weather to further you along.

My point was to make sure you don't talk your way out of a CCW by agreeing with the interviewer that you may not need one if other arrangements can be made. That is all I was saying. Make sure you have you ducks lined up is all.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:49 PM

I called Friday morning to see if there was an appointment available before my 4/17 slot. The lady I spoke to said no, the earliest was in mid May. I asked if they were still going to be able to adhere to the 90-day schedule to issue a decision. She said "it's probably going to be longer" but didn't elaborate.
Old 03-16-2014, 5:26 PM

No trick questions IMO. Like Simi said be honest in your answers. Be direct and stay on point, don't wander in your responses. IMO the Detective is not there to "trip you up" and I didn't feel as if anything he asked was designed to "trick me".
One cautionary suggestion. If you say you have been threatened or feel as if you're being threatened the Detective will ask if you've filed a police report on the incident. Traffic tickets will come up if you haven't listed them in your application and they may ask about them. Like I've said they do a very job on looking into your background. That said I'd say the best course is to disclose and explain if asked.
Old 03-18-2014, 3:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

just finished turning in my application and fingerprints today.

waiting 4-6 weeks for the phone call from the investigator

reason: self defense and to protect my family
Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 PM

Keep us posted on your progress defcon! My appointment is still a month away on 4/17
Old 03-19-2014, 9:39 AM

So my appointment is next week and I am still debating on listing "personal protection and self Defense " or my more tailored good cause.

I am willing to PM it to someone if they want to weigh in?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 PM

I say if people are putting "self defense/personal protection" with it being approved then why not....
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 PM

Turned in my app today and live scan etc. Lady's were awesome. Very kind and love to laugh. They are working hard though. She said 4 to 6 weeks to hear back from the DOJ....but I guess training centers are really getting backed up.

I put in a many reasons for good cause. Only reason is if for some unforeseen reason the 9th reverses their decision I don't want the sheriff to pull the permit for no longer having good cause. That would be the only reason to not just go with self defense/ protection.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Has anyone gone through the interview recently? I'm wondering how much emphasis or scrutiny is placed on the cause portion of the application. Also, anyone know if it'd be possible to complete the training center portion of the process while a decision is pending?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Has anyone gone through the interview recently? I'm wondering how much emphasis or scrutiny is placed on the cause portion of the application. Also, anyone know if it'd be possible to complete the training center portion of the process while a decision is pending?
my coworker completed the CCW training indirectly

he paid $600 for the tactical training class at Shooters and he found out that CCW was already included in the class
Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

My appointment is 04/16. Who are most of you booking for the training?