Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 AM

An updated Instructor List in now posted at: http://www.vcsd.org/ccw-permits.php
Old 02-28-2014, 1:48 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendl View Post
I was going to list a bunch of guns but had a conversation with a retired captain who thought it might make me look like a gun nut, so I'm down to the three they give you space for.

I'm not clear on how qualifying with each works, and suppose more guns could entail more "training" fees if qualifying is beyond the required 16 hours of training.
You will have to qualify (shoot) each weapon that you want on your permit. If you list 3 and only quality with 2, that's all that will be on the permit. When you take your class, you will list our make, model, Cal, S/N and then qualify with each one. Mine was $50 per weapon so $150 plus the class cost. Check with you training company and make sure that they are on the approved list. Once you get approval letter, you pay the final fee, get list from Maria, and then take class. The trainer will fax in the approved course/qualification form and then the permit is created and signed by Sheriff Dean. Took me less that a week from course to permit in mail.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 02-28-2014, 1:54 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
Im a commercial pilot. Checklists, check recheck, pre flight, post flight, check check check.

I did a Livescan AND a fingerprint card to send off for my FBI background check as a precaution AND to be able to speak intelligently while in the interview. I want to verify that we all have the same information sitting in front of us and ZERO surprises. I will also have a copy of my Drivers Report, FICO, professional licensees and FAA background check, tax returns etc.

I am going into this like a well prepared attorney. Its important to me and I have the free time to gather up all pertantant proof to my Good Moral Character. Will I need it? Probably overkill, but its better to have more information than less.
For me, turned in app & paid initial fee, livescan, then interview with detective, provided backup info on two items, waited, approval letter, paid final fee, training/qual, waited for mail man to deliver permit.

Met some great people in the sheriff's office. Grateful to have VSCO processing mine. They were all helpful and polite - great team.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 02-28-2014, 1:59 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawgJJ View Post
I presume (and I probably wrong), that any addtional gun, would require the 16hrs. So, if you have 3 that's 48hrs of training? Doesn't sound efficient! I would like some clairification as to having more than one listed, and adding one at a later time frame.
Classroom instruction then you qualify with each weapon in the range. 16 hrs total.

Old 02-28-2014, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
For me, turned in app & paid initial fee, livescan, then interview with detective, provided backup info on two items, waited, approval letter, paid final fee, training/qual, waited for mail man to deliver permit.

Met some great people in the sheriff's office. Grateful to have VSCO processing mine. They were all helpful and polite - great team.
When did this happen? After this whole thing or awhile ago?
Old 02-28-2014, 2:08 PM
CGN Contributor

May 2013

Old 02-28-2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
You will have to qualify (shoot) each weapon that you want on your permit. If you list 3 and only quality with 2, that's all that will be on the permit. When you take your class, you will list our make, model, Cal, S/N and then qualify with each one.
Sounds like I'll need to qualify twice with the same frame if I want to use my P11 slide and barrel on my P40.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 02-28-2014, 4:24 PM
retired Goon

Ventura County Sheriff's Department just implemented a new change to their carry permit issuance policy.

http://www.vcsd.org/pdf/26160_CCW_po...ded022114A.pdf
Quote:
2. Qualified Applicants
g. For purposes of this policy in reference to good cause, a need for personal safety or self-defense is currently satisfactory, depending on the ultimate appellate outcome of Peruta v. County of San Diego.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-28-2014, 6:54 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sounds like I'll need to qualify twice with the same frame if I want to use my P11 slide and barrel on my P40.
Not sure. I would check with the individual that is training you.

Old 02-28-2014, 7:35 PM

Does anyone know how much it will be cost wise after its all said and done?
Old 02-28-2014, 7:47 PM
Banned

Need help on some questions. dont want to screw it up. anybody want to help me out
Old 03-01-2014, 5:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsam View Post
Does anyone know how much it will be cost wise after its all said and done?
People used to say about 1000 because they count their time as money
Old 03-01-2014, 5:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersandguns View Post
Need help on some questions. dont want to screw it up. anybody want to help me out
I've filled it out twice maybe I can. Pm me
Old 03-01-2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Just left. Took a little over 30 minutes since the phone never stopped ringing. She's making appointments for April 9th.
Did they say when you would hear back or anything?
Old 03-01-2014, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_X_123 View Post
Did they say when you would hear back or anything?
She said call in 2-4 weeks letting me know about the outcome of the background check.

Around a month after that they will call for an appointment.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:38 PM

Can anyone recommend a good fun instructor that's not outrageously priced?

I'm sure a good number of trainers are going to get greedy and jack up prices because of this.
Old 03-02-2014, 7:01 AM

Are they going to do an interview still?
Old 03-02-2014, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Ventura County Sheriff's Department just implemented a new change to their carry permit issuance policy.

http://www.vcsd.org/pdf/26160_CCW_po...ded022114A.pdf
Awesome thanks for the info
Old 03-03-2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick2 View Post
Here it is flipped and pdf'd. Didn't the Agoura range close like 5 years ago?
The Agoura Hills Target Range closed at least five years ago....

Some yahoos showed up one day with tracer rounds and literally lit the range up (this was an indoor range folks!) and they were promptly expelled.

Well some of the acoustical ceiling tiles had started to slowly smolder unbeknownst to anyone, there was no smoke.....yet! Sometime in the middle of the night a fire erupted and the sprinklers activated, flooding the range while extinguishing the fire and causing substantial water damage.

I arrived the next day to shoot and found the parking lot full of everything you could imagine drying out with giant fans operating inside the range and offices to dry things out. The water had done way more damage than the fire! There were also preexisting "issues" with the landlord so this range was on life support at this moment.....then the EPA showed up a few weeks later and that was it.
Old 03-03-2014, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
Im a commercial pilot. Checklists, check recheck, pre flight, post flight, check check check.

I did a Livescan AND a fingerprint card to send off for my FBI background check as a precaution AND to be able to speak intelligently while in the interview. I want to verify that we all have the same information sitting in front of us and ZERO surprises. I will also have a copy of my Drivers Report, FICO, professional licensees and FAA background check, tax returns etc.

I am going into this like a well prepared attorney. Its important to me and I have the free time to gather up all pertantant proof to my Good Moral Character. Will I need it? Probably overkill, but its better to have more information than less.
Are you also a FFDO? If you are, that should make your LTC a no brainer for the Sheriff....
Old 03-03-2014, 7:18 AM

I just called (March 3 at 8:15am) and they're still booking people for April 9th and 10th. I booked mine for June 17th since I'll be busy until then.
Old 03-03-2014, 7:43 AM

Quote:
I do not believe that is an option in most counties and even if it is, not advisable.

The reason I say that is most IA do not allow modifications and if they do it is for things like sights or grip tape while others dont care.

However if you got into a shoot, should you be sued (expect it) than they are going to go after the "he modded his weapon for maximum killing" and then its slippery from there.

Also if you use the same frame as 2 spots on your license, should the frame break then you are looking at losing 2 of 3 ccw weapons while it gets repaired.

Just a couple thoughts
Old 03-03-2014, 7:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

8:53 call netted a 5/7 appt.
Old 03-03-2014, 8:47 AM

9:15 call got me 5/13 appointment. They're going fast, get yours while they're hot...
Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
CGN Contributor

Out to June now.

Old 03-03-2014, 1:26 PM

Hey folks, I'm AD Military with an out of state DL...the app askes for a CA DL...how do I mitigate this issue without having to get a CA DL?
Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Old 03-03-2014, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Out to June now.
There is no way that they are going to be able to handle all these appointments and subsequent personal interviews.

I wonder how long it will be before they just issue based on background check alone.
Old 03-03-2014, 2:38 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokahn99 View Post
Hey folks, I'm AD Military with an out of state DL...the app askes for a CA DL...how do I mitigate this issue without having to get a CA DL?
That's an interesting question, and I have no idea of the answer. I have not yet heard that IAs issue to military living withing their jurisdictions.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-03-2014, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
That's an interesting question, and I have no idea of the answer. I have not yet heard that IAs issue to military living withing their jurisdictions.
You might need to get a memorandum from at the minimum a company commander Or get a CA drivers license and have an off post address. Don't mention the military.

When I was stationed in Georgia that's what the clerk told us to do.
Old 03-03-2014, 6:40 PM

Default Upon ULTIMATE appellate decision

Is everybody catching that? Sounds like upon a SCOTUS decision.
Old 03-03-2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Is everybody catching that? Sounds like upon a SCOTUS decision.
What?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 AM

wait I'm getting confused. what's the appointment for.. to turn in the app, or appointment for interview?
Old 03-04-2014, 1:59 AM
=★= TRUMP 2024 =★=
CGN Contributor

I have a question too, pending Peruta's final outcome...

I live in VC, though my Driver's License still has my old L.A. county address on it (my folk's house). I've moved to a few places in VC have resided in VC for almost 10 years, but I've never bothered to change my DL. Would I have to change this to my current address for proof of VC residency?

ETA: I just read this, so I'm thinking yes.

Quote:
You must possess and present a California Driver’s License with your current address
where you reside, and/or accompanied by the proper change of address card.

The 2nd Amendment Explained

Last edited by GOEX FFF; 03-04-2014 at 2:10 AM..
Old 03-04-2014, 6:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAd mOrdigan View Post
wait I'm getting confused. what's the appointment for.. to turn in the app, or appointment for interview?
the initial appointment, should just be for turning in the application and getting fingerprinted for your live scan. after they get your results from your background check they should call you and schedule an interview.
Old 03-04-2014, 6:58 AM
Veteran Member

has anyone seen the orange county thread??? May of 2015 right now.
Old 03-04-2014, 7:10 AM

Just got off the phone with Penny at VCSD...appointment is 25 June.

For other AD military, in case you are wondering: You will need to bring a copy of your orders that brought you here as well as some form of proof of local address (bill, lease agreement, etc...)
Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Old 03-04-2014, 7:43 AM

I have a quick question...when I turn my paperwork in and do not have the firearm that I want as CCW purchased yet can I add it in while I am going through the qualification phase?
Old 03-04-2014, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
the initial appointment, should just be for turning in the application and getting fingerprinted for your live scan. after they get your results from your background check they should call you and schedule an interview.
I have a really hard time thinking that they are still going to be doing the in person interview.... Just cant think that they will be able to get through that many interviews!
Old 03-04-2014, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2oore View Post
I have a quick question...when I turn my paperwork in and do not have the firearm that I want as CCW purchased yet can I add it in while I am going through the qualification phase?
I would call the VCSO to get your appointment locked in AND questions answered. My buddy just called and his appointment is 1 July!
They will be able to answer your questions. You will have plenty of time to get prepared.
There is also a amendment form to add/delete firearms from your license.

Old 03-04-2014, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokahn99 View Post
I would call the VCSO to get your appointment locked in AND questions answered. My buddy just called and his appointment is 1 July!
They will be able to answer your questions. You will have plenty of time to get prepared.
There is also a amendment form to add/delete firearms from your license.
Thank you katokahn99