Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-08-2011, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Default SACRAMENTO NON-Prohibited Persons Denied CCW? Click HERE

"Applicants have been granted and denied for a variety of offenses with seemingly little rhyme or reason to the process. That is to say that people have been granted a permit for relatively serious offenses on their record while other people have been denied for having convictions for lesser offenses like driving on a suspended license or misdemeanor vandalism. Fortunately, it appears that the Sheriff weighs each case individually, at least when on appeal, and thus factors such as the age of the offense, the underlying facts, and whether the conviction was the result of a bargain pled down from a more serious offense are all relevant. In sum, if you are not a prohibited person and you wish to apply for a permit, you should do so. Be honest about what your offenses are. Tell the Sheriff what has changed since that time in your life and explain why such conduct will never again be repeated. It would be wise to obtain a copy of your rap sheet before applying so you know exactly what is on your record and what isn't. Obviously, if an offense is recent, it might be difficult to obtain a permit depending on the nature of the offense and the underlying circumstances.

Regardless, if you are then denied, you should appeal your denial. You may do so on your own or you may do so with the assistance of counsel if you wish to hire a lawyer to help you. Applicants who were initially denied have been granted on appeal with convictions on their record for possession of a loaded firearm, possession of a concealed firearm, grand theft, petty theft, battery, public intox, DUIs (multiple offenses), and people who had restraining orders and a host of other offenses. Of course, the criminal records in the examples above were decades old in some cases.

Spend time educating yourself about the process, obtain a copy of your rap sheet, and apply. There is little to lose by applying. You may wish to consult with a lawyer before you even apply if you have concerns that you will be denied."
- Adam Richards, Attorney-At-Law http://www.rwslaw.com/practice-areas/Firearms-Law/

*FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

Last edited by supersonic; 08-11-2011 at 6:04 AM..
Old 02-22-2011, 7:47 AM

So whats the tally? Anyone getting denied??
Old 03-15-2011, 8:11 PM

has anyone been denied for a prior midemeanor DUI conviction?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
***NEW Information & Findings HERE (see below)***

Strangely enough, there have been people denied for prior DUI's and others have been granted CCW's with DUI convictions in their past(s). To give you an even clearer idea of why I started this thread to begin with how about this: there are SEVERAL Sacramento CCW holders with illegal narcotics convictions - and more than one with resisting arrest/ attempted assault on LE - in their past, but others with past arrest(s) (with zero convictions/zero DUI's/zero history of violence) that are being denied. Many of these have also had no problems being granted permits from several other states!! See something wrong with this picture?

PM'ed
Old 04-01-2011, 1:12 PM

What is your conclusion from all the emails you got. We did not see you post anything that will be usefull for people got denied except " TOPITOFF"
Old 04-01-2011, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

^^
He's handling it in a more effective manner than posting everyone's business on an internet forum. TOPITOFF is just bumping the thread so people who might have something to contribute would PM him.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 04-01-2011, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasarilouma View Post
I did not say to post people business. I only said q conclusion from what he got so far.
The conclusion is going to be CCW for all
Old 04-03-2011, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

Thats what makes me not apply. I have two 22 year old misd. one for burglary and one for car theft. Stupid and young what can I say lol within a month of my 18th birthday and clean since. I am leaning towards giving it a shot at the most costs me what 25 bucks or somthing lol.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

ETA: This post is not meant to usurp or undermine SUPERSONIC's efforts and in hindsight and upon closer reading of the OP, this may not have been the best place for me to hang this notice out there. This is just a notice that I may ALSO be able to help you in addition to the assistance and information that SUPERSONIC is able to provide. The difference may be that I can directly represent you and provide legal assistance in appealing your denial. SUPERSONIC knows his stuff and is a good guy here.

IF YOU ARE DENIED YOUR CCW BY SACRAMENTO COUNTY SHERIFF, WHETHER YOU HAVE CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS OR NOT, PLEASE CONTACT ME. I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU. PLEASE DO SO AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER RECEIVING YOUR DENIAL LETTER.

Law Office of Adam J. Richards
2530 J St. Suite #320
Sacramento, CA 95816
(916)399-3486

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

Last edited by ohsmily; 05-26-2017 at 8:41 AM..
Old 06-02-2011, 5:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for tracking all this!

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

for those that are worried about applying because they were a moron in their early twenties, don't let that stop you. there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Got my approval today after a minor hiccup in the process.

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor
Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Free advice:

If you have or suspect that you have a criminal record or record of arrest, do yourself a favor and BEFORE applying for a CCW, obtain a copy of your DOJ Rap Sheet to see EXACTLY what is on your record and what the Sheriff will be referring to during the application and interview process. Among other things, a copy of your Rap Sheet will help ensure accuracy in disclosing your record and avoid the accusation that you were dishonest or withheld information. It costs 25-35 dollars and once you order it, it may come as soon as a couple days after ordering and up to a couple of weeks. They are usually pretty fast. It is worth it.

The first link below provides information about the process and the second link contains a search function to find a livescan provider near you.
http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security.php
http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php

It is helpful to obtain a copy if for no other reason than to ensure its accuracy. GOOD LUCK!

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 07-06-2011, 9:55 AM

stupid question.... is this only for sca??

los angeles is a long way. but i wouldnt mind having a ccw.
Old 07-31-2011, 9:16 PM

I obtained a copy of my DOJ history from my employer. Is there anyone that can point me to someone that can help me make sense of it? I had some bumps in the road in '88. Im not a prohibitive person and want to make sure that the information on my CCW application is correct.
Old 08-01-2011, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater View Post
I obtained a copy of my DOJ history from my employer. Is there anyone that can point me to someone that can help me make sense of it? I had some bumps in the road in '88. Im not a prohibitive person and want to make sure that the information on my CCW application is correct.
You can fax or email it to me and I will take a look at it.

Adam J. Richards
Rothschild Wishek & Sands LLP
901 F Street, Suite 200
Sacramento, California, 95814
(916) 444-9845
(916) 444-2768 (Facsimile)
arichards@rwslaw.com
Old 08-01-2011, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
You can fax or email it to me and I will take a look at it.

Adam J. Richards
Rothschild Wishek & Sands LLP
901 F Street, Suite 200
Sacramento, California, 95814
(916) 444-9845
(916) 444-2768 (Facsimile)
arichards@rwslaw.com
E-mail sent. I can't thank you enough for offering to look it over.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 PM

hey guys

I am new to calguns and am so happy to have been referred to this forum by a friend (this place is the cats pajamas). I am a 25 year old collage student living in the Sacramento area who also has been guilty of being a stupid 18 yo. unfortunately, I was charged with 2 counts of felony vandalism as well as 1 count of felony criminal conspiracy. Lucky for me all of the felony counts where thrown out leaving me with a disposition of a misdemeanor in criminal conspiracy, 6 months of probation and restitution. Being an avid firearm owner and responsible citizen with no criminal hiccups sense that unfortunate event what are my chances of successfully earning a ccw permit. I don't want to waste any time or money on an avenue with no opportunity.

Thanks for reading as well as any positive responses.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Badley,

If you are serious about obtaining a Sac County CCW I strongly suggest consulting with 'ohsmiley', Adam Richards.

While nothing in life is guaranteed, Adam will certainly make sure you have the best chance possible.

His appeal record speaks for itself and I personally recommend his services should you require them.

Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 PM

If someone also has history from another state should they go to that state too for a rap sheet, or do an FBI records request directly, or is it all included in the CA DOJ rap sheet?
Old 08-17-2011, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by intradubio View Post
If someone also has history from another state should they go to that state too for a rap sheet, or do an FBI records request directly, or is it all included in the CA DOJ rap sheet?
CA DOJ will not generally have information concerning convictions from another state on your CA DOJ Rap. However, it may contain a reference code for another state indicating that a record of conviction exists there. I would try to request it directly from the state in which the convictions occurred. It also does not hurt to get a copy of your CA DOJ Rap Sheet for good measure.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM

I recently received my CCW from Sac County SO. Although I found the process to be somewhat lengthy as well as thorough, it was relatively simple and straight forward. I had an unwelcome glitch in my past from 22 years ago but a straight forward explanation was all that was required by the interviewing officer. I really think that they are doing their level best to process the abundance of apps in a reasonable and fair manner
Old 08-26-2011, 6:37 PM
Banned

Default Sac CCW

WOW... I am surprised at some of the applicants who are getting approved for CCW's. I think appearance should play a role and definitely a character review is in order. If you look like a thug and dress like a thug, then odds are you are a thug!

Just my two cents......

PS... Got mine again! I think the instructors are making out like bandits with this!
Old 08-26-2011, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by savtru View Post
WOW... I am surprised at some of the applicants who are getting approved for CCW's. I think appearance should play a role and definitely a character review is in order. If you look like a thug and dress like a thug, then odds are you are a thug!

Just my two cents......

What kind of incompetent fool would support the regulation of a Constitutional right based on someone's attire and appearance? Not you, I am sure. I suppose people shouldn't be allowed to exercise their right to speech or protest against the government unless they are wearing a coat and tie?

Quote:
PS... Got mine again! I think the instructors are making out like bandits with this!
Did you wear an Armani suit to your interview.

Last edited by ohsmily; 08-26-2011 at 9:01 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 4:24 AM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
What kind of incompetent fool would support the regulation of a Constitutional right based on someone's attire and appearance? Not you, I am sure. I suppose people shouldn't be allowed to exercise their right to speech or protest against the government unless they are wearing a coat and tie?

Did you wear an Armani suit to your interview.

GROW UP.... Calling somebody and incompetent fool is harsh! And not professional! I think they have a forum for that if you look..... PS Don't hate my Armani, just afford one!
Old 09-15-2011, 8:49 AM

Do you really believe that people should not be issued a CCW based on their clothing?

That being said, if/when I get an opportunity to interview, I would wear the same thing I wear to work which is casual/professional. I will save the punk rock/banger look for when I get my ccw and need concealment!
Old 11-19-2011, 5:11 PM

Cool LTC

Is this discussion only for Sac. county or can people get advice for Placer county?
Old 11-19-2011, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded for bear View Post
Is this discussion only for Sac. county or can people get advice for Placer county?
SACRAMENTO
Old 12-17-2011, 4:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. Though I have no convictions, I will get a copy of my record and apply.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM

PM sent
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
WTF are "illegal nationals"? Being that they aren't from here, wouldn't that make them "illegal internationals"?
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".
But the acts of a few American "crazies" is enough to judge all Americans who own guns.
Old 04-19-2012, 1:30 PM

I got denied for poor judgement in past events. After numerous calls to the Sheriffs Department, I have yet to still get a solid answer as to why this decision was made. I am in the appeals process now so I hope someone will re review my file and change the decision. I do Armed security, have all valid certs and training to carry on duty which is funny the state thinks I am safe enough to do so but the county does not. I have absolutely no criminal record other then a red light ticket which was over 5 years ago. I really do not know what cause there decision but it seems like a chicken **** reason to not approve me.
Old 04-26-2012, 7:45 PM

I had my initial appointment today for Sac Co. If I get denied I'll definitely be posting here for some advice on what to do outside of the Sheriffs posted appeals process.
Old 05-06-2012, 2:47 AM

Im confused retraining orders show up in your DOJ report I got mine but can tell only one thing shows and this was 25years ago? how do they check
Old 05-06-2012, 2:59 AM

i had a misdemeanor almost 20 years ago and plenty of traffic tickets and i wasnt denied. so even if you have a past, go for it. its only $20 to try.
Old 05-06-2012, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal Industries View Post
i had a misdemeanor almost 20 years ago and plenty of traffic tickets and i wasnt denied. so even if you have a past, go for it. its only $20 to try.
Well got the interview set for Oct but when I reviewed my DOJ report it showed only one misdemeanor from 25 years ago , dumb teen crap ,how would I identify a restraining order on my report ????
Old 05-06-2012, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
Do you really believe that people should not be issued a CCW based on their clothing?
I don't think people should get denied for what they wear to the interview but think about this seriously...

The SO thinks this is a privilege and a serious matter for a citizen to carry a concealed weapon. Wouldn't you want to take it seriously and make the best impression that you believe the same way?

Psychologically, people like people who are like they are. This is human nature and can't be changed.

I had 30 minutes to make an impression that I was serious about getting my permit. No time to get to know anything about my character, what I believe or who I am. One of the things they had to go on is how I presented myself. This has to be a big part of their decision.

It's an "interview". Dressing like you mean it will only help. Dress like you're serious about this responsibility because they're serious about it. It is the job of the SO is to profile people by the way they look and if you don't look the part, you're only hurting yourself.

Whether anyone here likes it or not, the way it is right now is the SO makes the call on whether you carry or not. End of story.

If you want to carry put your very best foot forward, look the part. Just sayin.. General statement on my part and not singling anyone out..

Off topic some...delete if you'd like.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Well after a long wait through the appeals process, I just received a letter of approval and my live scan papers. If you are denied, and you know you meet the qualifications, YOU NEED TO APPEAL. SOMETIMES IT TAKES A SECOND LOOK TO GET YOU APPROVED.
Old 05-25-2012, 7:33 PM

Got my approval papers from the Sheriff about two weeks ago, started live scan today.

If you are denied, appeal. I was honest about young dumb things I didn't technically have to tell them (not on my record) and still got approved. Heck I know someone who was approved who found out from the detective during his interview his license was suspended, not my place to share why on here, and they still approved him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8RRunner View Post
I had my initial appointment today for Sac Co. If I get denied I'll definitely be posting here for some advice on what to do outside of the Sheriffs posted appeals process.
Old 06-22-2012, 7:31 AM

Default County by County What a Shame

I have a CCW and have had for over ten years. There are two reasons I have it.
#1. I feel if we don't excercise our rights we will lose them. Just like voting, look at all the people that don't vote and all those who died to give us the right to vote. What a shame.

#2. I live in Butte County California by God. Butte County had a great Sheriff in Reniff and now Jerry Smith. Sheriff Smith believes in issuing CCW permits to law abiding citizens of our County.

The problem is just that, it is a county by county go or no go to issue a permit. My brother in-law is ex-DEA and Coast Guard. He lives in a County that does not issue. This is a very discriminating problem. All of us have a right to carry a concealed weapon providing we are not felons, we do not have a history of violent behavior, we do not have a drug or alcohol problem etc etc.
My 2 cents.
Old 08-05-2012, 5:03 PM

tag
Old 08-24-2012, 2:24 PM

Anyone willing to review my doj report cant make heads or tails out of it ?