Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDude View Post
The first post seems to be missing the forbidden area in Sacramento called CalExpo (Cal. Code Regs. tit. 14, § 4955.)
Interesting. That bit of CofR (if the link will work - sometimes it does, sometimes it does not) says
Quote:
Note: Authority cited: Food and Agricultural Code, Section 3324.
but there is no F&AC 3324. http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...pter=&article=

Later posts do discuss that prohibition.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-12-2016, 6:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Interesting. That bit of CofR (if the link will work - sometimes it does, sometimes it does not) says but there is no F&AC 3324. http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...pter=&article=

Later posts do discuss that prohibition.
The authority for the Cal Expo and State Fair Board to establish regulations is now FAC 3332. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=3331-3334

A couple of comments on the Regulation:
1. They do not take your gun and store it until you are done inside CalExpo. They send you away.
2. Although the reg says a knife with blade of less than 4 inches is ok, they will cite (illegally) policy which bans all knives.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 02-12-2016 at 6:36 AM..
Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Ah, the good old 'catch-all' paragraph
Quote:
(f) Make or adopt all necessary orders, rules, or regulations for
governing the activities of the California Exposition and State Fair.
UC has a similar plenary-power clause - 'we can make stuff up - see, the Legislature said so!'

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 02-12-2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Ah, the good old 'catch-all' paragraph UC has a similar plenary-power clause - 'we can make stuff up - see, the Legislature said so!'
You stopped too soon.
Quote:
(f) Make or adopt all necessary orders, rules, or regulations for governing the activities of the California Exposition and State Fair.  Notwithstanding Section 14, any orders, rules, or regulations adopted by the board are exempt from Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 11340) of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the Government Code.  For informational purposes only, however, any order, rule, or regulation adopted by the board may be transmitted to the Office of Administrative Law for filing with the Secretary of State pursuant to Section 11343 of the Government Code.
- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/food-and....25pexJuR.dpuf
That's an absolute exemption from the Adminstrative Procedures Act which requires regulations to receive public notice comment and challenge, along with 3rd party administrative review!
Old 02-12-2016, 5:01 PM

What about sleep train arena?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecwarrior76 View Post

What about it? It's private property.
Old 02-12-2016, 7:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecwarrior76 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
What about it? It's private property.
Anything operated by Live Nation will be "no".

But remember, this thread is for the places one CAN carry - a long, depressing list of places where carry is forbidden is for a different thread.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 02-12-2016, 7:35 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Anything operated by Live Nation will be "no".
By PC, or by policy (metal detectors and threat of trespassing)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-12-2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
But remember, this thread is for the places one CAN carry - a long, depressing list of places where carry is forbidden is for a different thread.
Yes, where we can't carry is depressing, but a much shorter list than where we can carry. The OP is specifically a list of laws denoting where we can't carry.

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 02-12-2016, 9:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
By PC, or by policy (metal detectors and threat of trespassing)?
By policy always, by the enforcement required by the artists' contracts.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 02-12-2016, 9:39 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
By policy always, by the enforcement required by the artists' contracts.
So carry is cool at a Ted Nugent show?

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-13-2016, 9:15 AM

Quote:
So carry is cool at a Ted Nugent show?
Total attendance of four people would not require security measures.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Total attendance of four people would not require security measures.
Anaheim House of Blues was packed.

Quote:
Old 04-03-2016, 8:36 AM

parking on the street in front of the PO, is that PO property?
the PO is in a mall, how much of the parking lot is PO property?
Old 04-03-2016, 3:51 PM
Señor Member

No and none.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2017, 3:08 PM

I think the OP needs to be updated. 626.9 (h) and (i) include universities, but they must post a sign.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 04-17-2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
I think the OP needs to be updated. 626.9 (h) and (i) include universities, but they must post a sign.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Only for "non-contiguous properties". The statute does not require signage for properties, "...that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property,...".

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=626.9.
Old 04-17-2017, 5:40 PM

Agreed, but we still need to add the new info to the OP. There is a note on SB707, but it has become law now and the OP needs to be amended if it truly is going to be a "definitive" list.

Old 05-04-2017, 2:34 PM

Many pages back, the question of the authority for Special Districts, like water districts, to prohibit possession on any properties owned by the district was raised. I saw no answer to that. The wiki links to State preemption does not seem to exist (404).

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Many such properties are not posted as being owned by District and no signage prohibiting possession is posted.
Old 05-04-2017, 4:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallshot13 View Post
Many pages back, the question of the authority for Special Districts, like water districts, to prohibit possession on any properties owned by the district was raised. I saw no answer to that. The wiki links to State preemption does not seem to exist (404).

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Many such properties are not posted as being owned by District and no signage prohibiting possession is posted.
Which link 404s, please?

Districts seem to get a 'catch-all' 'do all things necessary to protect' kind of authorization.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-08-2017, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Y'know, I don't think so.

Here's what looks like the statutes governing districts:
Water Code

Government Code
At least, I'd ask my lawyer if that were the proper approach to the issue.
This is the post I was referring to. (#65 in this thread) Hope that helps in a move toward an answer here. I have a specific CA Special District in mind, but cannot name them for specific reasons.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
This is the post I was referring to. (#65 in this thread) Hope that helps in a move toward an answer here. I have a specific CA Special District in mind, but cannot name them for specific reasons.
That post has no wiki links ...

The wiki article on state pre-emption is http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...Gun_Regulation, but I don't think that applies re: districts.

ETA: I had a question for a transportation district; I seemed to push a button, because I had to soothe some ruffled feathers. When we were all friends again, the district administrator was very helpful.

Districts seem often to not have older info on-line, even internally; I had inquired about a no-guns policy on transport, and turns out that was a really old decision by the board - no minutes easily findable to see what concern the board tried to address with the policy.

So, I think if you can ask without confrontation, you might be able to get the info you need.

- Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Librarian; 05-08-2017 at 8:00 PM..
Old 05-08-2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Then you can't get a specific review of what is going on.

Each district is created with its own charter and ordinances. Without the name of the district, we're just making stuff up. (And, since it's apparently in the Sacramento area, we've probably reviewed it elsewhere).

If you want a specific answer on a specific district, you have to be specific in your request.

Best.
Old 05-10-2017, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Then you can't get a specific review of what is going on.

Each district is created with its own charter and ordinances. Without the name of the district, we're just making stuff up. (And, since it's apparently in the Sacramento area, we've probably reviewed it elsewhere).

If you want a specific answer on a specific district, you have to be specific in your request.

Best.
Thanks for the reply, but...

I am looking for reference to State preemption clauses that might apply, as well as any case history that might exist. I am completely familiar with this particular District's charter, history, ordinances, etc., so not looking for any internal District information. Also looking for information about State standards about posting property, etc..

I would appreciate any references I can get to do follow up research.

Thanks again
Old 05-10-2017, 9:46 AM

Quote:
That post has no wiki links ...

The wiki article on state pre-emption is http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...Gun_Regulation, but I don't think that applies re: districts.

ETA: I had a question for a transportation district; I seemed to push a button, because I had to soothe some ruffled feathers. When we were all friends again, the district administrator was very helpful.

Districts seem often to not have older info on-line, even internally; I had inquired about a no-guns policy on transport, and turns out that was a really old decision by the board - no minutes easily findable to see what concern the board tried to address with the policy.

So, I think if you can ask without confrontation, you might be able to get the info you need.
Thanks. That answers my question from most recent post. Everybody ignore that post.
Old 02-17-2018, 6:38 AM

Wrong topic sorry. Delete
Old 03-08-2018, 6:53 AM

Anybody been to the Fred Hall show in Long Beach? Are they allowing concealed carry there? Thinking of going later today just wonder if I need to leave it at home or not.
Old 04-06-2018, 5:17 PM

Can you carry in LA if you have my ccw? I ask because I hear you cannot carry in some counties like san Francisco which also doesn't allow hollow points. Are hollow points legal Ok to have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ojallday; 04-06-2018 at 5:28 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojallday View Post
Can you carry in LA if you have my ccw? I ask because I hear you cannot carry in some counties like san Francisco which also doesn't allow hollow points. Are hollow points legal Ok to have?

A CCW issued by a city or county within california is good throughout the state.

Hollow points?
No likely i am going to even be aware of such a stupid law.

Quote:
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.
Col. Jeff Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
It's the flu for crying out loud, just stop.
Old 04-06-2018, 8:58 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
The permit is valid state-wide.
San Francisco's ammo law was specifically aimed at Black Talons (which were Winchester Ranger-T with a black teflon coating).
The wording of the law prohibits LE-Specific ammunition, and is not enforceable, simply due to the fact that under the wording of the law, Federal HST JHP would be legal if purchased at BassPro in a 20rd box for $30, but not legal if purchased in a 50rd "LE Pack" from SGAmmo for $35.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Y'know, the first post - you really should read the first couple posts in a sticky - does say
Quote:
California LTC are state licenses, issued by Sheriffs and some police chiefs. The concealed versions (almost all of them) are valid, in general, throughout the state. The open-carry versions (almost none are issued) are valid only in the county where issued.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-07-2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
I ask because I hear you cannot...
Whenever you "hear" that something is illegal ask the speaker to cite the law. I'll bet you a month of lunches they can't.

Old 04-07-2018, 4:03 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

As in many other counties, Ventura County prohibits CCW in County Parks. Yes, I asked the VCSD CCW unit if CCW holders were exempt and their rely was "NO".

http://ventura-ca.elaws.us/code/coor...art7_sec6307-4
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-09-2018, 6:57 PM

Any issues carrying while in the pickup/dropoff area of LAX where the cars drive by?

I know you can't inside the terminal but I was wondering if the pickup/dropoff is considered "sterile"

What about Long Beach and John Wayne?

Last edited by orthikon; 04-09-2018 at 7:00 PM..
Old 04-09-2018, 7:28 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthikon View Post
Any issues carrying while in the pickup/dropoff area of LAX where the cars drive by?

I know you can't inside the terminal but I was wondering if the pickup/dropoff is considered "sterile"

Outside of sterile areas (anything before the passenger-only TSA checkpoint) is legal, but probably not a good idea at LAX.
People HAVE been arrested simply having guns in their trunk when stopped at the access checkpoint. Yes, charges dropped, but it was neither a pleasant nor cheap experience for them.

Burbank has no such checkpoint that I am aware of, so you would be fine doing a curb-side dropoff/pickup there. I haven't been to LB or JW in 10 years so I don't know.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2018, 6:35 AM

Quote:

I've carried when picking up/dropping off at John Wayne several times in the last few months and haven't had any concerns.
Old 04-18-2018, 6:09 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Outside of sterile areas (anything before the passenger-only TSA checkpoint) is legal, but probably not a good idea at LAX.
People HAVE been arrested simply having guns in their trunk when stopped at the access checkpoint. Yes, charges dropped, but it was neither a pleasant nor cheap experience for them.

Burbank has no such checkpoint that I am aware of, so you would be fine doing a curb-side dropoff/pickup there. I haven't been to LB or JW in 10 years so I don't know.
I've been in and out of LAX a lot in the last few weeks, and will be for the next several. Seems like the checkpoint is never manned, weekend, weekday, daytime, middle of the night and so on...no one there.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-20-2018, 7:02 PM

You're fine at LAX. Inside the terminal is ok up to the TSA screening area. I messaged the LAX airport police and was told we're good to go in any non sterile areas. I was told to make sure to keep it concealed.
Old 04-20-2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21sf View Post
You're fine at LAX. Inside the terminal is ok up to the TSA screening area. I messaged the LAX airport police and was told we're good to go in any non sterile areas. I was told to make sure to keep it concealed.
I was told by a CCW instructor that the terminal is a sterile area.

Ill call LAX Police tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2018, 9:33 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I was told by a CCW instructor that the terminal is a sterile area.

Ill call LAX Police tomorrow.
The "sterile" area is the area beyond the TSA checkpoint with the metal detectors. You need a ticket (or be on official business) to be within the sterile area.

Baggage pickup, ticket counter... those are all non-sterile areas.

CCW instructors are not immune from dispensing FUD.

Quote: