Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Default CCW For Public School Teacher

Hi CGers! So I'm thinking of applying for a CCW in Orange County. I really only want one so that I can CC while backpacking and hiking. The problem is that I don't think I'll qualify for a "good cause." I live in one of the safest cities in OC and I'm a public school teacher. I would not CC at my work due to the state gun-free school zone law (I guess you can CC on campus if you get written permission from the district, but I have no intention to ask for it). Are there any teachers out in Orange County that have successfully obtained a CCW? Let me know if you are one and, if so, how to best explain a good cause. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 10:11 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

If you're not involving your work in the CCW app, then it's irrelevant. You just need "good cause" like anyone else. No sense in asking for just teachers to respond. Just search the good cause threads hereabouts, there are quite a few that have worked that have nothing to do with one's profession.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Good Cause needs to be YOUR Good Cause, not something copied from the Interweb. If you can't self articulate YOUR Good Cause, you will never make it past the Interview.

Keep in mind HOW California got into this predicament. LIB DEM voters elected LIB DEM anti 2A legislators that ran CTA and Union funded campaigns. Have you contributed to the problem directly or indirectly via membership in CTA?

Teachers that want to restore 2A rights need to look deep at where CTA spends its dollars contributed by its sheeple. Same goes for everyone else that is a part of organizations that support anti 2A rights. Voting Right at the poll is not enough.

Anyway, good luck if you enter the OC process...it is reported to be tough, but possible.
Old 05-12-2017, 8:46 PM

Please don't make this a political thread. I am a proud, liberal, democratic public school teacher, but I can also support the 2nd Amendment. I served 10 years in the Army with the 75th Ranger Regiment having completed two foreign combat deployments so that you can enjoy the 2A. I'm a 20-year American Government teacher that proudly teaches the principles of our Constitution. And I happen to support the CTA that has supported my teaching career. The LIB DEM bashing gets old. I think I should be able to support any organization I want without getting lectured on politics, especially in this forum. We're all here on CG because we like our guns. All I asked for was some advice for my CCW application and not a political sermon. Again, please keep the politics to yourself or save it for a different thread. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 12:48 AM

Unfortunately, there is a bill to remove the ability to get permission that is active. AB-424

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajoc730 View Post
I guess you can CC on campus if you get written permission from the district, but I have no intention to ask for it.
Old 05-13-2017, 6:06 AM

Any other teachers out there who have successfully earned their CCW? I'm curious to know how the process was for them. I know occupation can influence the decision to grant the CCW, but can being a teacher hurt my chances, especially with the fear of school shootings?

Old 05-13-2017, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Please don't make this a political thread. I am a proud, liberal, democratic public school teacher, but I can also support the 2nd Amendment.

The 2A is anathema to the CTA. Support of the CTA, while simutaniously supporting the 2A, is the epitome of cognitive dissonance. That's not political, that's reality.

However, to your point... I have made IWB holsters for two teachers in OC who had 'obtained' their CCW's. Now, they probably got in under "self defence" after Peruta came down. If they renewed their CCW's, however, they would have had to articulate "Good Cause".

Your GC statement need not be lengthy, just direct and to the point. Don't state things that are not true, but with a little creative writing you can articulate a simple need. I for one, buy high dollar items from unknown sources.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:50 AM

My take is that being a teacher will not harm your ability to get a ccw. CCW holders are not likely to be involved in school shootings so I doubt that would be a consideration. Just write in your good cause statement your knowledge, skills and abilities and reason why you should be eligible to obtain your CCW. Then let us know how it works out.

Last edited by skooterdave; 05-14-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 05-14-2017, 1:49 PM

I would think that backpacking and hiking would be a pretty good reason given all the illegal grow operations and meth labs that pop up in areas where one would hike.

Do you collect things and buy/sell on Craigslist? Do you carry lots of cash for these buy/sell excursions?

Angry parents who threaten to do you harm because their precious child didn't get a good grade?
Old 05-14-2017, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Not a teacher, but I don't think it will hurt your chances.
Old 05-14-2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funthea View Post
The 2A is anathema to the CTA. Support of the CTA, while simutaniously supporting the 2A, is the epitome of cognitive dissonance. That's not political, that's reality.

However, to your point... I have made IWB holsters for two teachers in OC who had 'obtained' their CCW's. Now, they probably got in under "self defence" after Peruta came down. If they renewed their CCW's, however, they would have had to articulate "Good Cause".

Your GC statement need not be lengthy, just direct and to the point. Don't state things that are not true, but with a little creative writing you can articulate a simple need. I for one, buy high dollar items from unknown sources.

Good luck.
Same goes for police and prison guards.

Good luck OP. If your area issues to regular people for self defense, then stick to that and leave your profession out of it. On my app (different area) there was a question about whether the permit was sought for work purposes. I checked "no" and that was it. Nothing about work came up in the interview.

There are a ton of tweekers and grow ops out in public lands, though.
Old 05-15-2017, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Any other teachers out there who have successfully earned their CCW?
Yes.

Quote:
I'm curious to know how the process was for them.
I went through the process 6 years ago. Apart from a protracted wait for Live Scan results at a time when most people were getting theirs back in 2-3 weeks, it was very smooth. GC = self defense.

Then again, I'm in Sac County. I have no idea what OC accepts as GC. Being a teacher isn't likely to influence the process one way or the other, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-15-2017, 1:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Please don't make this a political thread. I am a proud, liberal, democratic public school teacher, but I can also support the 2nd Amendment. I served 10 years in the Army with the 75th Ranger Regiment having completed two foreign combat deployments so that you can enjoy the 2A. I'm a 20-year American Government teacher that proudly teaches the principles of our Constitution. And I happen to support the CTA that has supported my teaching career. The LIB DEM bashing gets old. I think I should be able to support any organization I want without getting lectured on politics, especially in this forum. We're all here on CG because we like our guns. All I asked for was some advice for my CCW application and not a political sermon. Again, please keep the politics to yourself or save it for a different thread. Thank you.

Hard to be a proud liberal democrat that teaches actual facts that are non partisan. Never met one and don't expect to. First step for carrying is how You vote since your own party does not want you to own a gun or be able to protect yourself. Just saying.
Old 05-15-2017, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Just sayin'? Just sayin' mainly nonsense if you're comparing the degree of reality spouted by the two main parties and then concluding that the party of "alternative facts" embraces reality more completely. You guys just can't answer a simple question without OT sniping—that'll persuade him, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-16-2017, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funthea View Post

Good luck.
+100
CA - Done
Old 05-17-2017, 6:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hi CGers! So I'm thinking of applying for a CCW in Orange County. I really only want one so that I can CC while backpacking and hiking. The problem is that I don't think I'll qualify for a "good cause." I live in one of the safest cities in OC and I'm a public school teacher. I would not CC at my work due to the state gun-free school zone law (I guess you can CC on campus if you get written permission from the district, but I have no intention to ask for it). Are there any teachers out in Orange County that have successfully obtained a CCW? Let me know if you are one and, if so, how to best explain a good cause. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FYI, I live in OC and I am a public school teacher. I got mine without a problem. Just articulate a personal situation that puts you at risk more than others and you should be fine. I did not use anything regarding my job as part of my good cause and I was approved. You just can't carry at school.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!

Last edited by Big Jake; 05-17-2017 at 6:39 AM..