Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-26-2017, 4:20 PM

Default Carrying at the gun show....

Why is it not allowed?
Old 04-26-2017, 4:44 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Penal Code:
Quote:

No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.
Why the Legislature wrote that, I do not know.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-26-2017, 4:59 PM

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2017, 5:46 PM

of course there is a law in CA for that!!
Old 04-26-2017, 8:32 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

PC Bookmarked for future reference!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-26-2017, 9:05 PM

I think its just another law that does nothing to make people safer but is used to inconvenience shoppers at a gun show and or provide a path for entrapment, because it is reasonable to expect that you may purchase both a firearm and the ammo for the firearm at the same place.
Old 04-26-2017, 9:37 PM

Besides what Librarian said when I asked the guy that was checking weapons at the door at Crossroads of the west told me they've had 5 ND's just that he knows of at their shows.
Old 04-26-2017, 9:40 PM

Does that mean if I buy a mosin c&r and then buy a spam can at the show, I'm breaking the law?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 10:15 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noraku81 View Post
Does that mean if I buy a mosin c&r and then buy a spam can at the show, I'm breaking the law?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
It probably means you need to make a trip to your vehicle for each one.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
Besides what Librarian said when I asked the guy that was checking weapons at the door at Crossroads of the west told me they've had 5 ND's just that he knows of at their shows.
Negligent discharges are not a good thing but you simply make it a law to not load live ammo in any firearm at the show with severe conquinces for anyone caught with a loaded firearm. But I see no reason you cant have ammo in your possession that will fit a gun you may have purchased at the show.

Last edited by R Dale; 04-26-2017 at 10:33 PM..
Old 04-27-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dale View Post
I think its just another law that does nothing to make people safer but is used to inconvenience shoppers at a gun show and or provide a path for entrapment, because it is reasonable to expect that you may purchase both a firearm and the ammo for the firearm at the same place.
Negligent discharges are not a good thing but you simply make it a law to not load live ammo in any firearm at the show with severe conquinces for anyone caught with a loaded firearm. But I see no reason you cant have ammo in your possession that will fit a gun you may have purchased at the show.
I agree, just a dumb law to annoy/harass people who Keep And Bear, but disagree with the notion we need to punish folks severely simply because they have a loaded gun in a holster, its safe in the holster - its handling the loaded gun that is the safety issue - that's why the majority of negligent discharges caught on camera are cops ...

I wonder why they don't provide clearance barrels for patrons if they insist on no loaded guns - why not provide a safe way to clear your firearm?
When I worked as an armed guard we had one in our office
Old 04-27-2017, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmith View Post
I agree, just a dumb law to annoy/harass people who Keep And Bear, but disagree with the notion we need to punish folks severely simply because they have a loaded gun in a holster, its safe in the holster - its handling the loaded gun that is the safety issue - that's why the majority of negligent discharges caught on camera are cops ...

I wonder why they don't provide clearance barrels for patrons if they insist on no loaded guns - why not provide a safe way to clear your firearm?
When I worked as an armed guard we had one in our office
The way I understand it no one is allowed to bring a loaded gun into the show and I can understand that rule. I can also understand a rule saying no live ammo is to be loaded into a firearm that you may purchase while at the show, but I see no reason why people cant carry anything they may purchase all together instead of having to take some parts of their purchase back to their car before the continuing to shop.

IMO if there is a no loaded gun policy in effect then people who violate that policy should be dealt with.
Old 04-27-2017, 2:41 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Ca takes this further than most other "free" states do. Nothing unusual there. Not being able to carry at all is a bit silly. I get the unload part and all, although I think that is kind of silly even.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-27-2017, 6:49 PM

What's even more silly is if your a vendor and have a CCW and its holstered and kept that way why is it some of your concerns we should be dealt with. There are rules in why it's in place but are some of you there to protect the inventory a vendor carries or the cash that's carried. No you are not. But look at almost all of those cases of a ND and why it's happened. Lack of common sense is why. If that Gun comes out of that holster as a CCW carrier it should be pulled for self defense with the intent to use it. Most of these cases are oh let me pull my gun and show you what I mean or a gun without a zip tie through it as there should be at all these shows. If I recall the last ND was a bought gun that shot a vendors friend as he sat at a table. Also yes as stated there should be a clearing trap in a designated area which would help deeply at times for a lot of the public. I know I'd use one as it's a taught method to a lot of us military and law inforcement and is safer than clearing in and out of our vehicles at times.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Not a law where I live, but a rule nonetheless. Just too many accidents waiting to happen. Guns in and out of holsters all day. Showing, telling, buying selling... add loaded to that mix and somebody's gettin shot.

I check my carry piece and they put a tie wrap in it so I can put it back in the holster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Wait, it's a great law, Just like Gun Free School Zone. I keeps the criminals away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 05-11-2017, 8:06 PM

another stupid law!! I just check for metal detectors, if none, carry as usual.
Old 05-11-2017, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
Their website says they've had 35 negligent discharges at their gun shows, and that's why they don't allow loaded weapons at any of their shows in any state regardless of that particular state's carry laws.

Old 05-11-2017, 8:41 PM

Default Crossfire?

Let's say they did allow CCWing at the gun shows. It would probably be the largest concentration of CCWers ever in California. Then imagine "something" goes down. Then 20 CCWer's draw down on the perp. Can you say "crossfire"?

I think almost all California gun laws are B.S., but this one makes sense. [closes lid on flamesuit helmet]
Old 05-12-2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
Let's say they did allow CCWing at the gun shows. It would probably be the largest concentration of CCWers ever in California. Then imagine "something" goes down. Then 20 CCWer's draw down on the perp. Can you say "crossfire"?

I think almost all California gun laws are B.S., but this one makes sense. [closes lid on flamesuit helmet]
The CA law does not make sense because there is no reason why you cant possess a firearm and amino for said firearm at the same after all the show is a shopping venue. I can see the reason for not allowing loaded firearms in the show though.
Old 05-12-2017, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

At Safeway you cannot possess milk and cookies at the same time, soy milk is exempted from this law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 5:31 AM

The legislature's intent is sound - they figure at a gun "show" you're going to be handling lots of guns, passing them back and forth, etc. The thought is likely that one could mistakenly hand over their CCW weapon in such a circumstance. It sort of makes sense.

That said, every gun show I have been to was really just a showcase of Nazi paraphernalia and overpriced Mosins with the occasional $450 SDVE9.
Old 05-18-2017, 6:32 AM

I can see that many NDs happening in the free states, where there will be a certain number of armed patrons who haven't even taken a basic safety course. But in CA, with its high barrier to entry for a CCW and no OC? Yikes.
Old 05-18-2017, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
That said, every gun show I have been to was really just a showcase of Nazi paraphernalia and overpriced Mosins with the occasional $450 SDVE9.
What about all the cheap knives and beef jerky?

Old 05-18-2017, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
What about all the cheap knives and beef jerky?
Don't forget stungun flashlights!

"Trust me, one zap with this, and that bastard will **** himself."
Old 05-18-2017, 7:16 AM

Does anyone ever "check" their CCW weapon at the door? My "friend" never does...
Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post
Does anyone ever "check" their CCW weapon at the door? My "friend" never does...

I do, I have no reason to violate any firearm carrying rules (or in this case a law). Police work the entrances and it only takes one problem for me to ruin a day. Unless I have a really really good reason, I never carry where a business/event has asked me not to.

At a gun show, I do not worry. I check my piece and if I need it I would only have to rack the slide once to break the tie wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
The legislature's intent is sound - they figure at a gun "show" you're going to be handling lots of guns, passing them back and forth, etc. The thought is likely that one could mistakenly hand over their CCW weapon in such a circumstance. It sort of makes sense.

Gun shows used to be fun. And a great place to buy reloads for a good price.
Now they are just WAY too crowded, and the reloads sell out within the first hour of the first day.

Now the only one I attend is the Raahauges show (Corona) in June, since you can actually try out the weapons there before you buy. But this year's show has been cancelled due to the fire they had a few months ago.
Old 05-19-2017, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocguy31 View Post
I can see that many NDs happening in the free states, where there will be a certain number of armed patrons who haven't even taken a basic safety course. But in CA, with its high barrier to entry for a CCW and no OC? Yikes.
There have been several nds at the Costa Mesa show.
Old 05-21-2017, 9:41 PM

Default Gun show loaded guns

It is done for here reasons. All are the ándame sence. Thus understand an stop complaining.

First, The shows are not up on by he county o cities. They are private events usin unlucky spaces. As private they - i.e. Crossroads of e West or others - must carry insurance. Lots of it. For em o ge insurance te insuance company puts this rule in place.

Second, the insurance require it because there are a lot of dumbasses tat go o gun shows at would not know the barrel end from the stock. No wants to risk one of Hesse fools shooting someone.

Lastly, lots of guns are handled by lots of different people. Some know wha they are gin some don't. As suc everyone does not handle a treat guns safe. To makin a blanket policy maes I safe for all.

Fact - here was over 30 accidental discharges at gun shows last year in the US. Not all cause injury but still. Thus I seems reasonable for the show producers to want to protect their business.

People need to chill out and stop takin everything as a slam on their rights. Sometimes maybe it is just a business decision.