Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-01-2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserguy View Post
"My GC was oriented around offroading in the desert ..."

MotoFahren, that sounds a lot like mine. Did you get renewed? I submitted six weeks ago and have heard nothing back.
Mauserguy
My initial interview was after they started requiring good cause. I haven't been up for review yet. Interviewer required articles to prove shady business going on in those areas. easy enough to find.
Old 09-01-2016, 9:38 PM

I'm trying to think how I will renew. I was initially approved AFTER policy 218 was reinstated, so I did have to establish GC, but documentation was not requested. My GC isn't something that would be easily or officially documented, plus confidentiality comes into play. If someone could pm me who wouldn't mind running through some ways to document my GC I would appreciate it. I have a little ways to go, but want to be prepared when the time comes, thanks.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 PM

Just submitted initial interview request. Will work on my GC centered around my work environment, a retail location that often is robbed by gunpoint for the high value products we carry. In fact I Googled it and found 5 this year. Just for my company not the competitors. Hope that will suffice.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woorick View Post
Just submitted initial interview request. Will work on my GC centered around my work environment, a retail location that often is robbed by gunpoint for the high value products we carry. In fact I Googled it and found 5 this year. Just for my company not the competitors. Hope that will suffice.
Just beware if your not the owner, they may well ask for a letter from your employer. Make sure your employee handbook doesn't ban weapons. Then realize that if your company is big enough to have an HR department or corporate legal either is likely to immediately say no purely for liability reasons. There are ways to work around this but be careful. it's the warning you are seeing in earlier posts they ask for documentation. The minute that becomes something in writing from your employer that can be dicey.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Just beware if your not the owner, they may well ask for a letter from your employer. Make sure your employee handbook doesn't ban weapons. Then realize that if your company is big enough to have an HR department or corporate legal either is likely to immediately say no purely for liability reasons. There are ways to work around this but be careful. it's the warning you are seeing in earlier posts they ask for documentation. The minute that becomes something in writing from your employer that can be dicey.
Hmm you're right that will be tricky because it is a big corporation. I do have personal encounters where customers have threatened me personally, as well as a lot of customers have recognized me outside of work. So maybe I might need to focus on that aspect. "Being recognized outside of work by the wrong customers. Or targeted because I have assisted in arrest of specific individual customers. And them knowing what I look like"
Old 09-22-2016, 2:49 PM

I'm starting my Renewal today (Expires mid Dec) and could use some help with articulating my GC ideas...
Old 11-27-2016, 2:25 PM

Looking for GC statement ideas. I used "Self Defense" before en-banc.
Old 11-27-2016, 5:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
If you are successful in convincing the IA that you are at risk at your retail location, there is a very good chance that your license will be restricted solely to work hours and premises.

As noted by others, the IA will certainly be contacting your employer to help assess the threat.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2016, 5:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
If you are successful in convincing the IA that you are at risk at your retail location, there is a very good chance that your license will be restricted solely to work hours and premises.

As noted by others, the IA will certainly be contacting your employer to help assess the threat.

Good luck.
So far we haven't heard of anyone with any restrictions as to location or hours.
Old 11-27-2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic7s View Post
Looking for GC statement ideas. I used "Self Defense" before en-banc.
Not sure. My personal opinion: If an individual has already been issued a CCW they should be automatically renewed unless they have been convicted of a felony.

GC isn't a factor in my scenario.

I get it. This is California. Who knows what twisted legislation is down the pike.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post

Good luck.
I've looked into our policies and it's a no go for on premises carry. However in the line of work, I have dealt with individuals who are attempting to commit fraudulent accounts and I have had a few arrested for ID theft, I have had threats made against me, and I have been recognized outside of work numerous times. So with that combination of not knowing who I will run into outside of work, whether it's a good client or a bad guy who was trying to commit fraud and I got them arrested, I'm hoping to write one up on that basis. So I will not seek to carry at work but outside of work on a normal basis.

PS one of these stores who got robbed in recent years was at one of my locations and at gunpoint. But thankfully I was not there.

Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterimage View Post
Not sure. My personal opinion: If an individual has already been issued a CCW they should be automatically renewed unless they have been convicted of a felony.

GC isn't a factor in my scenario.

I get it. This is California. Who knows what twisted legislation is down the pike.
It appears that this is not true. I heard back from OCSD this morning and they rejected my "expanded" good cause. After reading the posts here, I submitted my application with two sentences that basically said self defense in areas where LEO response time is limited.
Old 11-28-2016, 1:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It appears that this is not true. I heard back from OCSD this morning and they rejected my "expanded" good cause. After reading the posts here, I submitted my application with two sentences that basically said self defense in areas where LEO response time is limited.
I think two sentences is likely not enough. Did you have someone here read your go before submitting? Did they ask you for more info, or just say it wasn't good enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 11-28-2016, 1:35 PM

Quote:
I've looked into our policies and it's a no go for on premises carry. However in the line of work, I have dealt with individuals who are attempting to commit fraudulent accounts and I have had a few arrested for ID theft, I have had threats made against me, and I have been recognized outside of work numerous times. So with that combination of not knowing who I will run into outside of work, whether it's a good client or a bad guy who was trying to commit fraud and I got them arrested, I'm hoping to write one up on that basis. So I will not seek to carry at work but outside of work on a normal basis.

PS one of these stores who got robbed in recent years was at one of my locations and at gunpoint. But thankfully I was not there.

Thoughts?
Yes, just write it up that way. Get it word-smithed if you have trouble putting thoughts into words, which doesn't look like it based on your post.

Succinctly describe the situation(s) you find yourself in that put you in grave danger of bodily injury or death.
Old 11-28-2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I think two sentences is likely not enough. Did you have someone here read your go before submitting? Did they ask you for more info, or just say it wasn't good enough?
I did not have anyone review it; I searched through the forums and thought it said "any thing will suffice, as long as it is more than two words.".
It seems like no one is posting their actual GC statement, so I didn't want to be the first.
I am open to suggestions. My situation is simply self defense. I do not have any specific situation like death threats or transport large sums of money. I need something more generic.

edit: Adding my actual statement.
"FOR USE IN SELF DEFENSE OF PERSONAL AND FAMILY LIFE WHEN TRAVELING IN AREAS WHERE LAW ENFORCEMENT RESPONSE TIME IS LIMITED."

Last edited by magic7s; 11-28-2016 at 6:35 PM.. Reason: add gc
Old 11-28-2016, 8:16 PM

My complete statement in its entirety is up thread and has been published over the WWW interwebs as an example. I do have extenuating circumstances, each applicant needs to articulate their own.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I did not have anyone review it; I searched through the forums and thought it said "any thing will suffice, as long as it is more than two words.".
It seems like no one is posting their actual GC statement, so I didn't want to be the first.
I am open to suggestions. My situation is simply self defense. I do not have any specific situation like death threats or transport large sums of money. I need something more generic.

edit: Adding my actual statement.
"FOR USE IN SELF DEFENSE OF PERSONAL AND FAMILY LIFE WHEN TRAVELING IN AREAS WHERE LAW ENFORCEMENT RESPONSE TIME IS LIMITED."
Well from what you say, you may be one of those people who H218 feels are sufficiently safe, with no greater risk than the general population, and under California's 'May Issue" protocols don't qualify.

Having helped a number of people think through articulating why they feel that the financial and legal burden that come with carrying a concealed weapon, not to mention the need to be an ultra nice, non confrontational person I have found most (actually at this point all) actually have pretty good reason to carry. May I suggest you start by answering a few questions as a starter.

I usually recommend three distinct reasons, with each about a paragraph in length.

CCW Starter Questions

What city do you work in?
What city do you live in?
What kind of work do you do?
Do you work for someone or are you self-employed?
Do you frequently travel inside the state for work where you have to stay in overnight lodging?
Do you have an RV, Dirt Bike, Off Road Vehicle?
Do you have a side business?
Have you even been assaulted with a gun/knife/group of people?
Do you currently or have you ever had a restraining order against someone?

Gotta love OCSD. http://behindthebadgeoc.com/cities/o...weapon-permits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNQPhVucVY
Old 11-29-2016, 7:20 AM

Quote:
>snip

Having helped a number of people think through articulating why they feel that the financial and legal burden that come with carrying a concealed weapon...
>snip
I thank you kind sir!
Citadelgrad is very good at this too.
Old 11-29-2016, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Well from what you say, you may be one of those people who H218 feels are sufficiently safe, with no greater risk than the general population, and under California's 'May Issue" protocols don't qualify.

Having helped a number of people think through articulating why they feel that the financial and legal burden that come with carrying a concealed weapon, not to mention the need to be an ultra nice, non confrontational person I have found most (actually at this point all) actually have pretty good reason to carry. May I suggest you start by answering a few questions as a starter.

I usually recommend three distinct reasons, with each about a paragraph in length.

CCW Starter Questions

What city do you work in?
What city do you live in?
What kind of work do you do?
Do you work for someone or are you self-employed?
Do you frequently travel inside the state for work where you have to stay in overnight lodging?
Do you have an RV, Dirt Bike, Off Road Vehicle?
Do you have a side business?
Have you even been assaulted with a gun/knife/group of people?
Do you currently or have you ever had a restraining order against someone?

Gotta love OCSD. http://behindthebadgeoc.com/cities/o...weapon-permits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNQPhVucVY

Thank you! This is very helpful. I am not a great writer and have a hard time articulating my situation. These prompting questions help a lot.
Old 11-29-2016, 7:57 AM

Just my $.02 and observation in seeing a recent reply here and a good friend that was denied. It seems that its not a full denial at time of interview for good cause that isn't sufficient. It seems the deputies are saying "Try again, revise this, try this verbiage and send it back".

You get another chance if the first one doesn't fly.
Old 12-05-2016, 4:54 AM

Filled out my application, gathered personal references letters and documentation to support good cause in Feb 2016. Emailed for interview appointment at OCSD and was surprised to be given date 5 months down the road!
Had interview in August 2016. Deputy was very kind and courteous. The interview consisted of reviewing the application for completeness. The Deputy gave my application an "A" grade for whatever that really means. No questions were asked about my statement for good cause. Most of the 30 minute interview time was spent watching the Deputy construct a folder with all of my documentation. I was advised that I would hear something by mid-November.
In late November, I inquired by email about the status of my application. I was advised that my Livescan fingerprints that were taken on the day of my August interview (4 months previous) were still being processed by the DOJ. I contacted the DOJ through their automated phone system which reported that my Livescan fingerprints were still in process. I have had two other Livescan fingerprint checks in the past year that were processed in just a few days. This Livescan was marked as a CCW application. I wonder if the DOJ is exercising their anti-gun policies by delaying processing of fingerprints for CCW. Has anybody else experienced a delay in getting their fingerprint report from the DOJ for their CCW application?
Old 12-05-2016, 6:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you! This is very helpful. I am not a great writer and have a hard time articulating my situation. These prompting questions help a lot.
If you want to PM me a draft of your GCS I would be glad to offer some comments and suggestions if needed.

I am working the Del Mar Gun Show this weekend, so if you decide to send something earlier is better, or after the weekend.

You can always call me at Packin' Fur Defense (I know an odd name for a concealed carry shop)
Old 12-05-2016, 6:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6ZAJ View Post
Filled out my application, gathered personal references letters and documentation to support good cause in Feb 2016. Emailed for interview appointment at OCSD and was surprised to be given date 5 months down the road!
Had interview in August 2016. Deputy was very kind and courteous. The interview consisted of reviewing the application for completeness. The Deputy gave my application an "A" grade for whatever that really means. No questions were asked about my statement for good cause. Most of the 30 minute interview time was spent watching the Deputy construct a folder with all of my documentation. I was advised that I would hear something by mid-November.
In late November, I inquired by email about the status of my application. I was advised that my Livescan fingerprints that were taken on the day of my August interview (4 months previous) were still being processed by the DOJ. I contacted the DOJ through their automated phone system which reported that my Livescan fingerprints were still in process. I have had two other Livescan fingerprint checks in the past year that were processed in just a few days. This Livescan was marked as a CCW application. I wonder if the DOJ is exercising their anti-gun policies by delaying processing of fingerprints for CCW. Has anybody else experienced a delay in getting their fingerprint report from the DOJ for their CCW application?
I would say it's unusual for the finger prints to take more than 72 hours. The letter from DOJ that is required however can take 3 months. Typically the yes/no comes back from DOJ and FBI in 72 hours this is the electronic portion. Need to make sure it's the prints and not the letter giving them fits.
Old 12-05-2016, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

Post prop 47 crime stats per every enforcement agency should be more the good cause.
Old 12-05-2016, 8:18 AM

Quote:
I would say it's unusual for the finger prints to take more than 72 hours. The letter from DOJ that is required however can take 3 months. Typically the yes/no comes back from DOJ and FBI in 72 hours this is the electronic portion. Need to make sure it's the prints and not the letter giving them fits.
Unfortunately, I cannot find a pathway into the DOJ's fingerprint unit other than the automated inquiry line that only confirms that it is in process. I would be disappointed to hear after waiting for >4months that the Livescan needed to be repeated. I fully anticipate that a report of suboptimal fingerprint scan is another DOJ delaying tactic. Why would I be so skeptical???
Old 12-05-2016, 5:33 PM
CGN Contributor

The livescan is taking a while. I had mine done in the middle of July and tomorrow will be 20 weeks. Still waiting for the results.
Old 12-05-2016, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Post prop 47 crime stats per every enforcement agency should be more the good cause.
You would think, but remember that technically H218 requires that your personal risk is greater than the general public. If someone where released who was a direct and personal threat to you because say you testified you would be right, but otherwise just having bad people released into the system isn't in and of itself sufficient since the risk is evenly spread.

Sort of a catch 22.
Old 12-22-2016, 6:24 PM

Can someone read my gc statement and give me some feedback. Pm me if someone is able.
Old 12-22-2016, 8:05 PM

I can word-smith. Grantar2 for content.
Old 03-28-2017, 1:11 PM

Im resurrecting this to ask for a little help and avoid starting another new thread on the same subject. I was lucky enough to have my interview appointment moved up from November '17 to tomorrow. (YAY). I just wanted to see if anyone wouldn't mind proof reading my GC before I take it in tomorrow? Pm me if you think you could help me out. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 03-28-2017, 4:13 PM

See post above...
Old 04-17-2017, 8:01 AM

Hello CG family,

My initial interview has been bumped up from late July, to mid May! I am now trying to get my GC statement in order. I manage a company that works with various precious metals, and a large portion of my job is transporting (in my own vehicle) very high value packages all around Southern California. I will have a statement from the owner of my company, as well as loads of documentation...I am just looking for any other insight some of you might have? Any holes I may have missed...?

Thank you!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:33 PM

Seems reasonable. Write it up and submit to some long-timers for review.
Old 04-19-2017, 1:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I my appt. got moved up faster then i expected. I need to lock down my Good cause statement. I have read through some of this forum and a i have a question. I am a Land Surveyor, i was going to use my career as my GC statement. We carry valuable equipment with us all the time in very rural and Urban areas. We have had some stuff stolen from us already and fear that they could come after us.

If i want to use it for my work, what exactly does my letter from my office need to say? Do i actually need one?
Old 04-19-2017, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreiner View Post
Hello everyone,

I my appt. got moved up faster then i expected. I need to lock down my Good cause statement. I have read through some of this forum and a i have a question. I am a Land Surveyor, i was going to use my career as my GC statement. We carry valuable equipment with us all the time in very rural and Urban areas. We have had some stuff stolen from us already and fear that they could come after us.

If i want to use it for my work, what exactly does my letter from my office need to say? Do i actually need one?

The Officer responsible for the initial review of my file called me last week to ask for an employer letter that certifies everything work-related I put down on my GCS is true. I put together a simple letter (on company letterhead, he asked for this specifically) including a short statement certifying to that fact, copy and pasted everything work-related on my GCS onto the letter, then had my boss sign it. Good enough for him. They just want something from your work saying you actually do what you put down on GCS.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklin1297 View Post
The Officer responsible for the initial review of my file called me last week to ask for an employer letter that certifies everything work-related I put down on my GCS is true. I put together a simple letter (on company letterhead, he asked for this specifically) including a short statement certifying to that fact, copy and pasted everything work-related on my GCS onto the letter, then had my boss sign it. Good enough for him. They just want something from your work saying you actually do what you put down on GCS.
Thank You.

That helps a lot.
Old 04-26-2017, 7:12 PM

Howdy folks, seems like a lot of people have been having their appointments bumped ahead.

Mine did as well. It was originally in mid November, now it's in late July (four fricken months!). I'm working on my good cause and as a kid in college (not living on campus but at my parents' house until I graduate) there is not a whole lot to use.

One significant event did happen a few years ago, long story short there was a man living with my dad and I in the RV in our side yard, he went coo-coo and trapped me and another roommate inside the house (he never got inside). He had a standoff with the police and was arrested (there was a helicopter, dozens of police, K9, etc.). He's out of jail and knows darn well who put him there and where I live (duh). He's never contacted me, but he snapped once so it can happen again. should I provide a police report of the event or just mention it and the interviewer will get the report?

How do I even get a police report?
Old 04-26-2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducckk View Post
He's never contacted me, but he snapped once so it can happen again. should I provide a police report of the event or just mention it and the interviewer will get the report?

How do I even get a police report?
Get the report.

Call/Email the PD, there may be a fee.
Old 04-26-2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
Get the report.

Call/Email the PD, there may be a fee.
Copy that. Thank you! I live in a tiny town in OC so it was quite the hubbub when it happened.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally i had two good cause statements.

One related to self defense in regards to recent events in the area i live (scrupulous people hanging at the park down the street, a few burglaries..etc).

My second good cause statement was related to my work. I am often in possession of valuables, checks, credit cards, lap top, two cellphones..etc. My investigator scratched off my self defense good cause and said the work one was a golden ticket.