Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-14-2015, 8:09 AM
Head Janitor

Default Expand CCW Forums?

We have several CCW subforums and they are getting more traffic as Peruta and Richards loom on the horizon.
It occurred to me that there might be enough interest and traffic to warrant breaking these forums out in to their own Category and that there might be one or two other topics associated with CCW that people want a forum for.

So, the question of the day (or however long) becomes is there enough interest to merit a new Category and any new subforums?
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 02-14-2015, 8:21 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I am interested. I think it makes sense to finally promote the CCW forum out of politics & litigation. It might also be handy to have a subforum for discussing stories of real world CCW encounters as found in the news or relayed by the members, instead of sending them all to the general gun forum.
Old 02-14-2015, 8:54 AM

Might also take a page/ tip from another forum and have a "rice paper" CCW/LTC permit attachment to validate the commentator as a knowledgeable contributor.

For the Sticky on - Factual (verified and referenced) locations of where and where not to carry. Maybe clear out the added verified comments once the Sitcky is updated. Clarify the Driking in a bar vs being in a place where alcohol is served such as a restaurant.

New Sticky for

- Un-substantiated or rumored locations that have off limits to LTC.

- What counties and cities (verified and referenced) request the permit be shown to the officer.

- Limitations that specific Counties and Cities place on permits and try to place on visiting permit holders, with rationale why a limitation in San Francisco does / does not apply to a visitor from Sacramento.

Cheers!

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW

Last edited by CenterX; 02-14-2015 at 9:03 AM.. Reason: saw LTC limitations sticky
Old 02-14-2015, 9:57 AM

I definitely agree. CCW needs it's own forum.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When there is enough traffic that the forum is getting too hard to navigate, it's time to expand it. However, I've also found that if a forum is too compartmentalized, it can be harder to surf than if it is just one big forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post
Might also take a page/ tip from another forum and have a "rice paper" CCW/LTC permit attachment to validate the commentator as a knowledgeable contributor.

For the Sticky on - Factual (verified and referenced) locations of where and where not to carry. Maybe clear out the added verified comments once the Sitcky is updated. Clarify the Driking in a bar vs being in a place where alcohol is served such as a restaurant.

New Sticky for

- What counties and cities (verified and referenced) request the permit be shown to the officer.

- Limitations that specific Counties and Cities place on permits and try to place on visiting permit holders, with rationale why a limitation in San Francisco does / does not apply to a visitor from Sacramento.

Cheers!
Are you trying to say that someone needs to post their permit to be verified as knowledgeable on the subject? LOL. I don't have a permit but, I've CCWed on private property for almost 2 decades and I am an authorized CCW instructor for Ventura County Sheriff's Dept. There are others here who are also very knowledgeable on the subject who don't have their permits. Everything else you have requested should be covered in every CCW course in the state except for the "What IAs require/request LEO notification." That one really isn't an issue since, those who are required to notify will have it on their permit and nobody else has to worry about it.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 02-14-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Old 02-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Given the complaints of inaccuracies against some trainers, I don't think possession of a license documents a lot of detailed, accurate knowledge if the licensee's knowledge has come from questionable sources.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-14-2015, 4:34 PM
Veteran Member

As more and more permits are being issued statewide, this forum, the "Concealed Carry Discussion" forum, which falls under "Politics, Litigation and Activism" is less about politics, litigation, etc, and more about actually living the life with a Concealed Carry Permit.

As such may I suggest a new section under SPECIALTY FORUMS for active CCW Permit Holders, as follows (in blue):

CALGUNS:
FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS
POLITICS, LITIGATION and ACTIVISM
GENERAL DISCUSSION
CGN/CGSSF CONTRIBUTORS
CALGUNS COMMUNITY
SPECIALTY FORUMS
--> CCW PERMIT HOLDERS (General CCW Holder Forum)
--> CCW FIREARMS and AMMUNITION (subforum)
--> CCW Non-Firearm Equipment (subforum)
--> CCW Training (subforum)

OUTDOORS, HUNTING, SURVIVAL
INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
CA SHOOTING CLUBS
MARKETPLACE
VENDORS
Old 02-14-2015, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky.Hawk View Post
I am interested. I think it makes sense to finally promote the CCW forum out of politics & litigation. It might also be handy to have a subforum for discussing stories of real world CCW encounters as found in the news or relayed by the members, instead of sending them all to the general gun forum.
I agree with Sky Hawk. We're seeing more and more stories of "my CHP encounter today" etc.

If possible maybe even break it down by the most popular counties? Or into SoCal/Norcal sections, and the various county threads in there
Interview: 4/12/22
More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
Training doc received: 9/28/22
Call to pick up: 10/31/22
Pick up permit: 11/4/22
Old 02-14-2015, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
As more and more permits are being issued statewide, this forum, the "Concealed Carry Discussion" forum, which falls under "Politics, Litigation and Activism" is less about politics, litigation, etc, and more about actually living the life with a Concealed Carry Permit.

As such may I suggest a new section under SPECIALTY FORUMS for active CCW Permit Holders, as follows (in blue):

CALGUNS:
FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS
GENERAL DISCUSSION
CGN/CGSSF CONTRIBUTORS
CALGUNS COMMUNITY
SPECIALTY FORUMS

INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
CA SHOOTING CLUBS
MARKETPLACE
VENDORS
Personally, I would make it its own title, instead of "Specialty". But that's just me
Interview: 4/12/22
More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
Training doc received: 9/28/22
Call to pick up: 10/31/22
Pick up permit: 11/4/22
Old 02-14-2015, 5:25 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky.Hawk View Post
It might also be handy to have a subforum for discussing stories of real world CCW encounters as found in the news or relayed by the members, instead of sending them all to the general gun forum.
The CHP thread is an example of such threads staying here.

Out of state topics, and use/misuse of guns still goes to General. That's because the use/misuse stuff seldom has much 'CCW' content, but a lot of 'will he be prosecuted', 'was this a good shoot' stuff.

That's not even politics, though statements from politicians would be, and legislation introduced would be.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-14-2015, 5:45 PM

As long as folks are clear that they may not get the answers they are looking for. Some...ok...all.. of the Counties "policies" apparently are vague for a reason. You may not get definitive answers. Each County is different and occasionally each guy/gal you talk to at the County (or on a forum) is going to have a different answer based on their experience, and NO County is going to give you a quote to beat them over the head with...

I do think some other forum areas could be useful
Old 02-14-2015, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cs View Post
Personally, I would make it its own title, instead of "Specialty". But that's just me
It sure would be nice if it had its own Forum, but I figured since the LEO forum was categorized in Specialty, perhaps CCW Permit Holders would be a fitting neighbor.
Old 02-14-2015, 6:34 PM

I like CCW having its own forum. I also like the suggested category's with an addition of another one that people can post where to or not carry as it seems to be a big part of the threads in CCW nowadays. It may also include LEO contact while CCW, that seems to be a big one that gets posted these days.

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 02-14-2015, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&highlight=ccw

With plenty of counties (well, more counties) now issuing, it deserves it's own category, rather than being a sub forum of 2A.

Old 02-17-2015, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes, it is most definitely time. I've mentioned many times in the "Suggestions/Improvements" forum that CCW is no longer merely activism or litigation-related, it is a real world reality for tens of thousands statewide and growing daily. I also agree (as previously mentioned) that "Specialty Forums" is the right place, as the poster below has echoed. Might be good to add a "Concealed Carry Stories" subforum as a place to discuss encounters, situations, contact with LE, or any encounter where you were "made" by a member of the public and what transpired. Of course, situations actually involving the weapon shouldn't be discussed until the case/investigation is closed.

Quote:

CALGUNS:
FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS
GENERAL DISCUSSION
CGN/CGSSF CONTRIBUTORS
CALGUNS COMMUNITY
SPECIALTY FORUMS

INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
CA SHOOTING CLUBS
MARKETPLACE
VENDORS
Old 02-17-2015, 1:17 PM

Interesting assumptions made about my post. Just as I expected, degradation.

There are some who think they have all the answers and behave badly.

Some who know they do not have all the answers and seek them.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 02-17-2015, 7:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Interesting assumptions made about my post. Just as I expected, degradation.

There are some who think they have all the answers and behave badly.

Some who know they do not have all the answers and seek them.
Aww.

The rice paper icon was elitist and accurately reflected the attitude of that forum and its head admin. Those with permits do not necessarily know more than those without. If you want to feel superior because you have a permit, go feel superior over there. It's not hard to do.
Old 02-17-2015, 7:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrock View Post
Aww.

The rice paper icon was elitist and accurately reflected the attitude of that forum and its head admin. Those with permits do not necessarily know more than those without. If you want to feel superior because you have a permit, go feel superior over there. It's not hard to do.

You beat me to it and took the words right out of my mouth.

CalGuns is the go-site for all things CCW; no need to try to emulate anyone else.

Old 02-18-2015, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
We have several CCW subforums and they are getting more traffic as Peruta and Richards loom on the horizon.
It occurred to me that there might be enough interest and traffic to warrant breaking these forums out in to their own Category and that there might be one or two other topics associated with CCW that people want a forum for.

So, the question of the day (or however long) becomes is there enough interest to merit a new Category and any new subforums?
Thanks Kes,

I would definitely concur that Concealed Carry merits a new Category here! I would also like to see a separate Forum under this category for Non-California Permits/Licenses where the topic would be exclusively dedicated to those issues.

As of now, you could be reading a thread about LTC appointments in Orange County and the next thread is about which Oregon counties are currently issuing non-resident CHL's. Let's keep the focus on California LTC's and provide a separate Forum for all the out-of-state issues and questions.

For example, when Nevada dropped recognition of Arizona we were swamped with threads about Nevada and Arizona and those dominated the discussion for a few days, pushing the California threads off the main page....so lets move the out-of-state stuff that does not have a California component to another Forum under Concealed Carry. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2015, 4:28 AM

I am in favor of a more defined ccw forum. Many good suggestions and I am looking forward to seeing how it gets structured.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Based on things going on the last couple of days, I think we can close the Concealed Carry forums….
Old 07-28-2017, 7:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Peruta is dead.

This fall (2017), Norman is seeking cert from SCOTUS and Nichols is before a 3-judge panel in CA9. We might win Open Carry from either.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-03-2017 at 6:43 AM..
Old 07-28-2017, 7:28 PM

CCW is a growth industry for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-29-2017, 6:00 AM

Quote:

New Sticky for

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Given the complaints of inaccuracies against some trainers, I don't think possession of a license documents a lot of detailed, accurate knowledge if the licensee's knowledge has come from questionable sources.
I have a CCW but have no desire to post or share an image of my CCW online.
As others have pointed out already having a CCW is not an indication that one is knowledgeable on the subject.

Expanded forum yes.
Old 04-05-2020, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

There's idiocy in all kinds of people, including those who can legally carry concealed or openly. And why cannot anyone post the name of the "another" forum?

Quote:
"Actually living the life with a Concealed Carry Permit"...drama-rama. I found it no different other than feeling a bit of weight on my side, but that goes away after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrock View Post
Aww.

Which forum?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 04-05-2020, 7:40 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

^^you just replied to a guy 5 years later

The other forum was calccw. They went defunct in 2016, 1 year after all these posts....

Old 04-06-2020, 8:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

I would suggest a 2-part subforum.

1) one dedicated to "legalities & legislation"

2) the other dedicated to "weapons & gear"

Given California's WILDLY divergent issuing policies, it makes the first one necessary.
Old 04-30-2021, 8:31 PM

Thanks for the back to the future moment....LOL