Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-27-2017, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerman View Post
My CCW renews in July. I sent my renewal application in a month ago. I buy and sell antiques and collectibles. I sent some OCSD cash deposit receipts. At times I carry $5000+ on me. I got a response asking for proof of the business, so I sent them my city business license yesterday. Hopefully I get approved. I'm 68 years old and can only depend on my 'blunt force trauma' punch for one round. :-)
I guess proof of a business is reasonable with large cash deposits like that. Otherwise they'd think you're a drug dealer.
Old 04-29-2017, 7:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My CCW renews in July. I sent my renewal application in a month ago. I buy and sell antiques and collectibles. I sent some OCSD cash deposit receipts. At times I carry $5000+ on me. I got a response asking for proof of the business, so I sent them my city business license yesterday. Hopefully I get approved. I'm 68 years old and can only depend on my 'blunt force trauma' punch for one round. :-)
I think you're fine.
Old 05-06-2017, 4:48 PM
Veteran Member

Just got the email saying my renewal is conditionally approved and to send my renewal training certificate in to continue the process. This is a month after I've already submitted my training certificate and my review officer even confirmed the receipt and that he had forwarded to his superior for final review. Regardless, I sent it again and was told I'll probably get a pick up date sometime in June (when my license expires). So, it appears the process, if you submitted your application early, will be expedited (mine took a month for review officer to send it to his superior for final approval) but even if the review is completed before your expiration date, they will still wait until your expiration to call you in to pick up. If you submitted your application a month or two before your expiration, as soon as the review process is over, they will try to get you in as soon as possible to pick up your new license... So after all said and done, unless you waited until your license had expired to renew, you might get your renewed license around the same time as someone who submitted their application 4 to 6 months before expiration. Oh well...
Old 05-23-2017, 2:50 PM

Default CCW Renewal Complete

Following up on my timeline for renewal. I received an email for my License pickup date. They stated the appointment would take longer than last time: "Please allow extra time as we will be updating your file with a new picture, electronic thumb print, and signature." It was almost exactly 5 Months total process time.
Old 05-23-2017, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

Got my renewal license pick up date also; three days prior to original license expiration date. Time from start to finish of renewal process was about 3 months.
Old 05-24-2017, 7:26 AM

Default Renewal timeline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
Does anyone know if the refresher class must be done within that "90 day" period or can it be completed anytime prior?
I applied for renewal in April. My CCW card date is July. I had an interview last Monday. The officer approved me on the phone. I was sent an email the following day confirming my renewal and was told to take my safety renewal gun class. Which I will be doing tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2017, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeto View Post
I submitted my renewal in January and was contacted only last week on the paperwork. My RO also confirmed he is on this two day schedule for CCW. My expiry is in June so six months seems to be the timeline now. I have not received a verbal for training yet. I will inquire this week
Do yourself a favor, take the risk, do the training and send them the cert. Don't wait and expire.
Old 05-25-2017, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I guess proof of a business is reasonable with large cash deposits like that. Otherwise they'd think you're a drug dealer.
LOL...I've got a garage full of bongs if you're interested.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Do yourself a favor, take the risk, do the training and send them the cert. Don't wait and expire.
Right on Grantar
I scheduled and completed my training in April. I actually was never told or asked to get training done by my IO. I had NO expectation of getting denied renewal. Regardless I would not regret another training class. It's all good
Old 05-25-2017, 1:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
LOL...I've got a garage full of bongs if you're interested.
PM inbound.
Old 05-25-2017, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just picked up my 5-Gun permit today. I submitted the addendum on 5/16.

I was in and out of the office in 25 minutes. New picture, new thumbprint and new looking license.

Painless.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post
Just picked up my 5-Gun permit today. I submitted the addendum on 5/16.

I was in and out of the office in 25 minutes. New picture, new thumbprint and new looking license.

Painless.
Are they officially allowing 5 guns permit?
Old 06-01-2017, 6:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
Yes. Picked mine up this Tuesday.
Old 06-01-2017, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
Indeed - as I stated.
Old 06-03-2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklin1297 View Post
Yes. Picked mine up this Tuesday.
Hooh hooh! It's time to put a .45 and something else on the permit.
Old 06-03-2017, 7:30 AM

I could use some advice. I submitted my paperwork in November (expired in March). I have not heard anything back. I emailed the CCW unit in March and was informed that my packet was with an investigator and that I would be contacted. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 06-03-2017, 8:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbe Busoni View Post
I could use some advice. I submitted my paperwork in November (expired in March). I have not heard anything back. I emailed the CCW unit in March and was informed that my packet was with an investigator and that I would be contacted. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sounds like they've lost your paperwork or it fell in between the cracks… Call them up on the phone… There's something wrong if I hasn't been completed by now. Hopefully with a call they will expedite it...
Old 06-04-2017, 11:14 AM

Abbe, when did you call the unit? Did you provide all the renewal documents? Have you completed the renewal CCW training? If you answered yes to all, then call the unit and speak to the supervisor. If you haven't done all those things, call their front desk and ask for a status update, and they will tell you what you need. Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2017, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibairho View Post

Abbe, when did you call the unit? Did you provide all the renewal documents? Have you completed the renewal CCW training? If you answered yes to all, then call the unit and speak to the supervisor. If you haven't done all those things, call their front desk and ask for a status update, and they will tell you what you need. Hope this helps.
I called in March, and followed up with an email last month. I submitted all my renewal paperwork in November, but haven't done the training. Thanks
Old 06-07-2017, 11:48 PM

Sent my renewal on March 23 this year, my card expires 6/23 .

Got my pick up notice for 6/21.

Pretty smooth process.
Old 06-08-2017, 7:05 PM

hey guys been so busy these last few months that i completely forgot that my licence expires in about 1 month and a week. Going through this thread and reading your experiences is it even feasible to try to send in paperwork for renewal at this point ?

Also wrote up a GC statement, if anyone with experience could get back to me and maybe look over it and give me their opinion that would be great!

thanks in advance

Last edited by bestnameicouldfind; 06-08-2017 at 7:23 PM..
Old 06-08-2017, 7:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestnameicouldfind View Post
hey guys completely been so busy these last few months that i completely forgot that my licence expires in about 1 month and a week. Going through this thread and reading your experiences is it even feasible to try to send in paperwork for renewal at this point ?

Also wrote up a GC statement, if anyone with experience could get back to me and maybe look over it and give me their opinion that would be great!

thanks in advance
You should start the process. If you let it expire and want to getting it again, you start all over again. You won't get everything done in a month, but you will be a renewal rather than a restart.

Your instructor should be able to give you guidance on GC. I'd start there.
Old 06-21-2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO_Racer View Post
Sent my renewal on March 23 this year, my card expires 6/23 .

Got my pick up notice for 6/21.

Pretty smooth process.
Picked up renewal this morning, spent 30 minutes for pick-up. And that included a hiccup to add two weapons to reach 5 on my card.

Well oiled process.
Old 06-23-2017, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye
Renewal submitted today - 3-2-17
Expiring 8-14-17

Email confirmation today - less than 24 hours.
I hope I'm enough ahead of the time game to get renewed before it expires.
Notified by email a couple of weeks ago they needed current proof of employment - sent on and confirmed back.

6-22 Notified conditional approval pending training certification. I'M IN!!

Should be all done by expiration. Whoot!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestnameicouldfind View Post
hey guys been so busy these last few months that i completely forgot that my licence expires in about 1 month and a week. Going through this thread and reading your experiences is it even feasible to try to send in paperwork for renewal at this point ?

thanks in advance
Go get your training cert, and submit it with your renewal ASAP. Do the submission electronically. There is a template on this tread on what to cover and several members that will review your good cause statement, and give you comments. OCSD wants to renew your permit, but being last minute makes it very hard for them to be helpful or sympathetic.
Old 06-27-2017, 3:02 PM

Looks like Sheriff Hutchens will not be seeking re-election.
Old 06-27-2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Looks like Sheriff Hutchens will not be seeking re-election.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/27...ans-to-retire/

Although she was off to a bit of a rocky start, all in all I've been pleased with the way she took the department with respect to CCWs. I, for one, am disappointed to see her go, if only for the big question mark of how CCWs will be handled in the future. As much as I'd like to think things will stay the same, especially since there have not been any major incidents involving permitholders (at least that I know of), with a new administration there will inevitably be some changes. It looks like she is endorsing the current Undersherriff, Don Barnes. Do we know anything about him? The other guy who's announced plans to run, David Harrington, said there will be a “top-down, side-to-side review of everything," which presumably includes CCWs. He doesn't seem friendly to our cause.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.

Last edited by SamsDX; 06-27-2017 at 3:29 PM..
Old 06-27-2017, 3:54 PM

Yikes, well at least we have carry through 2018. Or maybe his position will not change from the current. Or maybe he won't get elected. Just because she endorses him, doesn't make it a good thing.
Old 06-27-2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalPI View Post
Yikes, well at least we have carry through 2018.
Can't a Sheriff make every existing CCW permit null and void relatively instantly if s/he wanted to?

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
Can't a Sheriff make every existing CCW permit null and void relatively instantly if s/he wanted to?
Yup Sheriff Sandy yanked a ton of CCW's that previous guy Mike Carona sold to his donors .
Old 06-28-2017, 7:34 AM

OC is pretty conservative. Perhaps we'll luck out with a Sheriff that supports the constitution and not the whiny progressive slant of this state.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
Totally. But she's staying on through 2018 so we are safe until then.
Old 06-29-2017, 8:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalPI View Post
Totally. But she's staying on through 2018 so we are safe until then.
Just heard on the radio Sheriff Hutchins will be on the job for a year and a half.
That gives me one more renewal before she retires.
Hoping her successor is of the same mindset as her on CCW permits.
Old 06-29-2017, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Steve, owner of Artemis Defense, just spoke about that issue with Hutchins going out. He highlighted the size of the CCW-holder pool at ~12,000 and growing, while at the same time mentioning that the number of voters for the O.C. Sheriff position is quite small....disinterest....one time as low as ~2000 votes won the election.

So, he was not worried.....as long as we VOTE.
Old 06-29-2017, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artb View Post
Just heard on the radio Sheriff Hutchins will be on the job for a year and a half.
That gives me one more renewal before she retires.
Hoping her successor is of the same mindset as her on CCW permits.
Yeah, I renew in March 2018, so hopefully would at least be good until 2020, but a new sheriff could yank all CCW's on the first day in office (not even remotely worried about that but it is a worse case scenario).
Old 06-30-2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Notified by email a couple of weeks ago they needed current proof of employment - sent on and confirmed back.

6-22 Notified conditional approval pending training certification. I'M IN!!

Should be all done by expiration. Whoot!
Training done, range testing done, submitted, confirmed. Now just waiting for a pickup appointment.

The online training is great. Range time too - a half hour with two pistols. This is totally do-able.
Old 07-07-2017, 5:36 PM

Doing Renewal Application.

Where is our CCW No. on the card? The renew app ask for it, but I don't see it on the card. Is it the number after "CII"?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingers View Post
Doing Renewal Application.

Where is our CCW No. on the card? The renew app ask for it, but I don't see it on the card. Is it the number after "CII"?

Thanks.
Yes, should be the CII number.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 07-07-2017, 7:17 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Yes, should be the CII number.
I asked my instructor about that, and that is our Criminal Investigation Identifier... if we did not already have one from a previous arrest, we were assigned one as a part of the CCW process, but he said that it is not the CCW number itself.

I'll try to get some clarification on that when I renew because CCWSafe does ask for the CCW number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-12-2017, 8:41 AM

I'm hearing vote Barnes, hes more pro CCW than Harrington.