Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-16-2017, 6:49 PM

Default Work petition letter

Has anyone had the opportunity to petition their employer for written permission to CC while at work? Our employ handbook states no firearms with prior approval. I'm looking for some starter text beyond the typical it's my right to carry.
Old 05-16-2017, 8:19 PM

My employer prohibits firearms in the workplace. I know, for a fact, that at least 2 people carry concealed while at work.

I'm not quite there yet, but I understand their "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" logic.
Old 05-16-2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowkick View Post
Has anyone had the opportunity to petition their employer for written permission to CC while at work? Our employ handbook states no firearms with prior approval. I'm looking for some starter text beyond the typical it's my right to carry.
Interestingly, my Ventura County issued permit states "shall not carry at work." The sheriff made that decision for me.

I suspect that your employer doesn't want you carrying due to the liability they would carry if something happened while you are on the clock.
Old 05-16-2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
Interestingly, my Ventura County issued permit states "shall not carry at work." The sheriff made that decision for me.

I suspect that your employer doesn't want you carrying due to the liability they would carry if something happened while you are on the clock.
My Shasta County permit states that I have no restrictions.

Does that imply that my employer's company policy is a moot point?

I'd be fired on the spot if discovered.

Say goodbye to my health insurance, etc.
Old 05-16-2017, 9:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Requirements for my employees: LTC, proof of insurance, at least two hours training in pretty much any handgun course every quarter. Good to go.
Old 05-17-2017, 3:55 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considerizer View Post
Requirements for my employees: LTC, proof of insurance, at least two hours training in pretty much any handgun course every quarter. Good to go.
Thanks. I don't think that is to much to offer. Since I am the first in this state for my company to make such a request, if given permissions I'll be setting the standards. I think this may be a reasonable suggestion based on the fact that the company may feel they may have a liability issue by allowing me to conceal carry.
Old 05-18-2017, 5:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

OP, carrying a weapon at work creates enormous liabilities for your employer. Understanding and respecting those liabilities will help your cause. I would consider my presentation carefully, and be ready with a good cause statement, documenting my training, detailing the requirements needed to qualify with my IA, describe my ongoing training, provide a copy of my $1mm insurance policy, document the safety stats for CCW holders, then making the request to carry the always concealed weapon. A written request with supporting documents might be better than a f2f presentation imo. Good luck to you.
Old 05-18-2017, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterimage View Post
My Shasta County permit states that I have no restrictions.

Does that imply that my employer's company policy is a moot point?
Legally, yes. You're good to go. You wouldn't face any criminal charges, but you'd probably get canned if discovered.

My employee handbook says "Employees who have obtained a gun permit though the Chief of Police or Sherriff, may, in accordance with law, carry those weapons during off duty hours, off [Company] property, and not in any official capacity with [the company]. The [Company] will obtain law enforcement assistance if any individual is observed possessing an unauthorized deadly weapon. In order to provide a safe and healthful workplace for its employees and to ensure compliance with policy, [the company] will conduct searches (with the assistance of the Police Department) when management has reasonable suspicion that circumstances warrant. An employee that violates the weapons policy will be subject to discipline, up to and including termination."
Old 05-18-2017, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post

In the past SBSD issued permits said something similar the first year issued.
Then they switched to 'may not be used for employment purposes'.
Old 05-18-2017, 8:16 PM

I QUIT bang

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 7:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.dakeelstripe View Post
I QUIT bang

What is this supposed to Insinuate?
That if someone were to be ccw at work they might shoot someone when they decide to quit?

Quote:
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.
Col. Jeff Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
It's the flu for crying out loud, just stop.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
What is this supposed to Insinuate?
That if someone were to be ccw at work they might shoot someone when they decide to quit?
The point is all your employer can do is fire you if you carry on the job. The last time I checked concieled ment not visible so how would they know?

And that same umstae person would bring a gun to work with out a permit ..... just to shoot the place up.