Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-02-2017, 4:02 PM

Default Spouse CCW

thought I'd throw this out there can my wife put a handgun registered to me on her CCW Any Input would be helpful
Old 02-02-2017, 4:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Consult your Issuing Authority.
Old 02-02-2017, 4:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Consult your Issuing Authority.
This.

Some let you, some don't.
Old 02-03-2017, 8:48 AM

San Joaquin county, yes

Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 02-03-2017, 10:22 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by highground59 View Post
thought I'd throw this out there can my wife put a handgun registered to me on her CCW Any Input would be helpful
It is up to your issuing agency to decide.

If you let us know which LE agency that is, you may get more information.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-03-2017, 10:24 PM

City of Modesto says no

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

San Bernardino County is a yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 02-06-2017, 5:36 AM
Veteran Member

Wasn't there a STATE-WIDE law recently passed that completely criminalized the loaning of a firearm?

If so, seems that would make this illegal at the state level, irrespective of what your local authority says.

At the very least, it seems it would add a small layer of difficulty / uncertainty should your wife ever have to use that pistol in self defense and IMO, there's no valid reason for you to do this.

Either get her her own gun in her name, or transfer your gun to her through an FFL.

This seems to be one of those things that you could technically slide by on, but there's really no valid reason for doing it, other than being too cheap to buy her her own gun, or too lazy to transfer yours to her. No offense intended.

Come on man, this is a bright, shining opportunity to buy another gun! NEVER let those pass you by!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Wasn't there a STATE-WIDE law recently passed that completely criminalized the loaning of a firearm?

If so, seems that would make this illegal at the state level, irrespective of what your local authority says.

At the very least, it seems it would add a small layer of difficulty / uncertainty should your wife ever have to use that pistol in self defense and IMO, there's no valid reason for you to do this.

Either get her her own gun in her name, or transfer your gun to her through an FFL.

This seems to be one of those things that you could technically slide by on, but there's really no valid reason for doing it, other than being too cheap to buy her her own gun, or too lazy to transfer yours to her. No offense intended.

Come on man, this is a bright, shining opportunity to buy another gun! NEVER let those pass you by!!!
Sacramento and Placer are OK.

As for the new law, spouses are exempt as long as the "loan" is infrequent and for less than 30 days. I can't imagine there would be a problem unless you kept a log of when she carried which gun.

Regarding the question of why not just buy her a gun. My issue with that would be that I would want to be able to carry her gun and vise-versa if the situation arises. If I'm carrying but need to leave the gun with her for some reason, I'd want all our carry guns listed on both permits.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Not in Sacramento.
Quote:
Be sure that each firearm you are listing on your Concealed Carry Weapon license is registered to you or your spouse/registered domestic partner. The firearm cannot be registered to any other family member. (See last bullet at: https://sacramentoca.permitium.com/c...permittype=new)

Last edited by Dvrjon; 02-06-2017 at 12:46 PM..
Old 02-06-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I take shots View Post
Sacramento and Placer are OK.

As for the new law, spouses are exempt as long as the "loan" is infrequent and for less than 30 days. I can't imagine there would be a problem unless you kept a log of when she carried which gun.
As to the original question, Sacramento is not ok. (See above).

As to the loaning of guns, the statute says:
Quote:
27880. Section 27545 does not apply to the loan of a firearm if all of the following requirements are satisfied:
(a) The loan is to a spouse,....:
(b) The loan is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(d) The loan does not exceed 30 days in duration. (See: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01520160AB1511)
"Infrequent" is defined as six transactions per calendar year. ( See: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...0.&lawCode=PEN)

It would be interesting to hear the answer to the obvious question, "So what will you do for the other 185 days?"

You will be asking the IA to agree to an "honor system', two-way, three gun swap program.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 02-06-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Old 02-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Default Spouse CCW

Quote:

I was just in the training and qualifications class this Saturday for my ccw at Ben Clark in riverside and they recommend this. They said that if your for any reason with your wife and hand over your weapon to her to hold while you go into a business that does not allow it, if cops show up for any reason she could be charge for possession of that weapon because it's not on her ccw. Just an example they gave us.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Not in Sacramento.
You say not in Sacramento then quote a link that specifically allows a spouse to be the registered owner the gun.

Did I miss something?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I take shots View Post
You say not in Sacramento then quote a link that specifically allows a spouse to be the registered owner the gun.

Did I miss something?
Yup. You missed the part where I say, "Duh, WTF am I doing? "

Oh wait, no, this was a test....yeah, that's it.....a test....tooooo.....a test to see if anybody's reading.......YEAH, that's it, "It's a test!"

Congrats, you, above all others, passed!

Now, gotta go clean up some stuff...
Old 02-06-2017, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, like every other CCW question it always depends on you IA and you don't tell us what county you're in.
Old 02-06-2017, 4:00 PM

Sac County told me ok.
Old 02-06-2017, 6:43 PM

Ventura County (OK, the instructor, not the IA but he still has close ties to them) just told me no. We can't list each other's guns on our permits as backups.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
As to the loaning of guns, the statute says: "Infrequent" is defined as six transactions per calendar year. ( See: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...0.&lawCode=PEN)

It would be interesting to hear the answer to the obvious question, "So what will you do for the other 185 days?"

You will be asking the IA to agree to an "honor system', two-way, three gun swap program.
Also keep in mind that loaning, between spouses, only applies to registered handguns. [PC 27880(f)]

Penal Code 27880
Section 27545 does not apply to the loan of a firearm if all of the following requirements are satisfied:
(a) The loan is to a spouse, registered domestic partner, or any of the following relations, whether by consanguinity, adoption, or steprelation:
(1) Parent.
(2) Child.
(3) Sibling.
(4) Grandparent.
(5) Grandchild.
(b) The loan is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(c) The loan is for any lawful purpose.
(d) The loan does not exceed 30 days in duration.
(e) Until January 1, 2015, if the firearm is a handgun, the individual being loaned the firearm shall have a valid handgun safety certificate. Commencing January 1, 2015, for any firearm, the individual being loaned the firearm shall have a valid firearm safety certificate, except that in the case of a handgun, an unexpired handgun safety certificate may be used.
(f) If the firearm being loaned is a handgun, the handgun is registered to the person making the loan pursuant to Section 11106.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-07-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Old 05-18-2017, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
San Bernardino County is a yes.
My CCW was issued many years ago and there were no issues with spouses guns on each others CCW's.
They are now requiring a copy of your marriage licensed to 'share' guns.
If both spouses have CCW's at least one gun MUST be in the wife's name.
It is my understanding the marriage licensee on file is just creating a paper-trail to cover everyone's asses.
The reasoning behind the wife having a gun in her name is to weed out the guys who want to carry more than the allowed number of guns.