Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-27-2017, 3:59 PM

My CCW renews in July. I sent my renewal application in a month ago. I buy and sell antiques and collectibles. I sent some cash deposit receipts. At times I carry $5000+ on me. I got a response asking for proof of the business, so I sent them my city business license yesterday. Hopefully I get approved. I'm 68 years old and can only depend on my 'blunt force trauma' punch for one round. LOL.
Old 04-28-2017, 7:19 AM

Is there someone or somewhere that reviews GCS? I wrote mine out and would like some opinions on it so i know its solid when my appt. comes.

Thank You
Old 05-01-2017, 1:01 PM

Hey guys little off topic but I have my interview in August and a coworker has July.. do we need to get 16 hour class done before or after appointment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btazhunter View Post
Hey guys little off topic but I have my interview in August and a coworker has July.. do we need to get 16 hour class done before or after appointment?

After. If your interview goes well, your interviewer will tell you to get the training. If you do it before, it could "expire" and you will have to do it all over again. Double training isn't a bad thing, but it tends to cost a lot.
Old 05-01-2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducckk View Post
After. If your interview goes well, your interviewer will tell you to get the training. If you do it before, it could "expire" and you will have to do it all over again. Double training isn't a bad thing, but it tends to cost a lot.

Thanks.. makes me feel better..

Old 05-01-2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerman View Post
My CCW renews in July. I sent my renewal application in a month ago. I buy and sell antiques and collectibles. I sent some cash deposit receipts. At times I carry $5000+ on me. I got a response asking for proof of the business, so I sent them my city business license yesterday. Hopefully I get approved. I'm 68 years old and can only depend on my 'blunt force trauma' punch for one round. LOL.
You should get approved. I own a small business and make daily deposits of $2,000 - $5,000 depending on how busy we get. My GC was basically, I make daily deposits of large sums of cash. I was approved after sending in my license and showing my article of incorporation which included my name as an officer of the corp.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:49 PM

Good afternoon all, I know I'm a little behind the ball but like many others my appointment got move up from mid July to May 12th. So any assistance would be great, thank you ahead of time.

CCW Starter Questions

What city do you work in?
- work in Placentia

What city do you live in?
- live in brea

What kind of work do you do?
- shop foreman for a heavy equipment dealership also we (my wife and I) part time manage the apartment that we live at. *owner is not pro firearms, so probably won't sign anything.

Do you work for someone or are you self-employed?
- work for a company, about 75 people spread through multiple locations is California.

Do you frequently travel inside the state for work where you have to stay in overnight lodging?
- frequently no, but every now and then I will go to another location for a week.

Do you have an RV, Dirt Bike, Off Road Vehicle?
- recently sold my truck to get a better tow truck for the boat, as well as more space to sleep in while camping.

Do you have a side business?
- same as above part time manage the apartment complex.

Have you even been assaulted with a gun/knife/group of people?
- no, just had my truck broken into a couple times. Only filed a report once though.

Do you currently or have you ever had a restraining order against someone?
- no current restraining orders, ex moved out of state to avoid legal issues. So the 'eminent danger' isn't relevant, according to the courts.

What I have so far...

Dear whom it my concur,
This is a letter in statement of probably good cause in the request to be approved to carry a concealed firearm.

I myself have grown up in Placentia only recently to move in Brea, how in over the years I have watched many open areas of land be turned into large apartments or new housing tracks. With the ever increasing cost to live in Orange County, multiple families are being forced to share one home. Causing an increase stress levels in result an increase in domestic anger and abuse.

In addition to this, my family does a lot of outdoor activity such as boating, off roading, camping, hiking, etc. Where many a times we are in delayed response time locations, or even out of cell service locations all together.

****other possible options****
- I coach softball for my daughter and always have the gear in my truck. ($1800)
- I frequently purchase from Craigslist and offer up, and regularly garage sale shop. Always have at $600 in my pocket.
- I drove a 99 suburban with a third row, huge target for theft in north OC.

Old 05-09-2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibased View Post
Originally i had two good cause statements.

One related to self defense in regards to recent events in the area i live (scrupulous people hanging at the park down the street, a few burglaries..etc).

My second good cause statement was related to my work. I am often in possession of valuables, checks, credit cards, lap top, two cellphones..etc. My investigator scratched off my self defense good cause and said the work one was a golden ticket.
Was there any inclination to ask whether or not your employer allowed concealed carry? I work in IT and often have computer equipment with me (both business and personal) but my company has a no weapons policy. I'd be afraid citing my employer would cause them to ask for proof they allow ccw.
Old 05-09-2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by More2LifeThanMPG View Post
Good afternoon all, I know I'm a little behind the ball but like many others my appointment got move up from mid July to May 12th. So any assistance would be great, thank you ahead of time.

CCW Starter Questions

- work in Placentia

- live in brea

- shop foreman for a heavy equipment dealership also we (my wife and I) part time manage the apartment that we live at. *owner is not pro firearms, so probably won't sign anything.

- work for a company, about 75 people spread through multiple locations is California.

Do you frequently travel inside the state for work where you have to stay in overnight lodging?
- frequently no, but every now and then I will go to another location for a week.

- recently sold my truck to get a better tow truck for the boat, as well as more space to sleep in while camping.

- no, just had my truck broken into a couple times. Only filed a report once though.

- no current restraining orders, ex moved out of state to avoid legal issues. So the 'eminent danger' isn't relevant, according to the courts.

What I have so far...

Dear whom it my concur,
This is a letter in statement of probably good cause in the request to be approved to carry a concealed firearm.

I myself have grown up in Placentia only recently to move in Brea, how in over the years I have watched many open areas of land be turned into large apartments or new housing tracks. With the ever increasing cost to live in Orange County, multiple families are being forced to share one home. Causing an increase stress levels in result an increase in domestic anger and abuse.

In addition to this, my family does a lot of outdoor activity such as boating, off roading, camping, hiking, etc. Where many a times we are in delayed response time locations, or even out of cell service locations all together.

- I coach softball for my daughter and always have the gear in my truck. ($1800)
- I frequently purchase from Craigslist and offer up, and regularly garage sale shop. Always have at $600 in my pocket.

Might also include construction sites are known to be robbed by addicts looking for a quick theft. They are likely to be high and unpredictable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 8:10 PM
Banned

My CCW appointment is coming up May 19th. I have all of my documentation and paperwork, my good cause statement is that I was involved in a very serious self defense case with the threat of retaliation. My statement will be much more fleshed out than that, I have the police reports and photographs.

I wanted to ask a few questions, can you guys offer any tips on demeanor/dress code/information disclosure for my initial appointment?

Do you think the OCSD CCW unit discriminates against the younger crowd?
Old 05-10-2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:

CCW Starter Questions

- work in Placentia

- live in brea

What I have so far...

Dear whom it my concur,

Send me your file to fix grammar and typos.
GCS is not about defending "stuff" you own.
Old 05-10-2017, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line View Post
My CCW appointment is coming up May 19th. I have all of my documentation and paperwork, my good cause statement is that I was involved in a very serious self defense case with the threat of retaliation. My statement will be much more fleshed out than that, I have the police reports and photographs.

I wanted to ask a few questions, can you guys offer any tips on demeanor/dress code/information disclosure for my initial appointment?

Demeanor: Calm, attentive, collected. Pay attention to their questions.
Dress: I wore ironed Chinos, a dress shirt, and dress shoes, no tie. I don't think it truly matters what you wear. There were other people interviewing wearing cargo shorts and baseball t's.
Information Disclosure: I'm guessing you mean your previous interaction with Law enforcement? If so, disclose everything. They WILL find any infobyou don't disclose

How old is young? I'm in my mid 20's and I was approved. Age isn't a factor if you have justification for the need to carry.
Old 05-10-2017, 3:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

What I have so far...

Dear whom it my concur,

I don't see increased stress sounding like a good reason.

I WILL say when I went in for my renewal......I used the fact that I do a fair amount of offroading and camping in remote areas of Mojave, San berdoo etc. I stated that we had encountered "undesirable" types in the past and that I was FEARFUL (important word) that without a firearm we could feasibly find ourselves in a dangerous situation some day. The investigator TOLD me this was sufficient cause. So just pump that up. I WAS asked for proof / Camp spot receipts etc. But I only camp BLM and there is no fee or receipt. I stated that in my response and provided pics of my truck (plate showing) in multiple locations that were remote.

Based on this my renewal was approved.
Old 05-15-2017, 5:48 AM

I am new to the forum and have my CCW interview coming up. I've been following the forum for some time. Can I pm my letter to one of the senior members to review?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM

How is Orange County when it comes to CCW approval/Renewal? I currently have a CCW in Kern County but will be moving to Orange County 6 months before my CCW expires.

Has anyone experience this situation before? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 AM

Default My approved GC Statment

I pick up my CCW tomorrow. Here is my approved GC

To whom it may concern,

I +++++, I desire to carry a concealed weapon permit because of increases in criminal activities near my home and my place of work. I am a Land Surveyor for ++++++ Company. I carry expensive equipment ranging in upwards of $100,000. I travel to very rural areas with little to no law enforcement officials nearby. I also travel to heavily populated areas where the crime rate is very high. With the recent increase in crime, brutal attacks, burglaries in a lot of cities and counties, I feel that my life is at risk; With our expensive equipment, it makes me an easy target for criminals to steal the equipment to sell it. We have had some of our equipment stolen from areas that we work in already. One was stolen on January 1, 2017 at approx. 11:40am in Jurupa Valley; the County of Riverside Sheriff’s department took the report. Another was stolen on January 4, 2016 at approx. 1:30pm, in the city of Lake Elsinore; Riverside County Sheriff took that report as well. Another was stolen on although I have not met face to face with the burglars yet, I feel that at any time my crew and I could be faced with such a situation. The probability of being attacked and robbed, or even worse, killed is very high.
I live in +++++, CA and recently the crime rate has skyrocketed in the neighborhood and surrounding areas. From small crimes like people walking up to a front porch and stealing packages to high level crime like the gunning down of a man on his porch from his front yard with Assault weapons. I have personally noticed an increase in the number of crimes in the neighborhood and there has been an increase of aggressive acting characters around, they cruise through the streets looking for targets. Whether it be stealing out of cars or directly from people. We have had vehicles that are from out of the area, scoping out homes and people breaking in to vehicles and mailboxes. There are constant reports of the increase in violent crimes from home invasions, to attacks on people, We are kept up to date from a local Facebook group called ‘Placentia Buzz”, :Anaheim Hills Buzz” and “Yorba Lind Buzz”. These fellow neighbors help protect each other and help watch out for crime. This has significantly increased my fear of grave bodily harm to my family and/or myself. I feel at any time we can be attacked whether it be at night or in the middle of the day. At the end of this statement are reference materials of pertinent data as supporting documentation.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreiner View Post
From small crimes like people walking up to a front porch and stealing packages to high level crime like the gunning down of a man on his porch from his front yard with Assault weapons.
Did you have to quantify the weapons as "Assault"? I don't think it adds anything to the GC. In fact, just the phrase "being gunned down" simply implies weapons—assault or otherwise. Just being "...gunned down from his front yard" should suffice. No need to give "Assault weapons" a worse rap than it already has.

[Mag+1 steps off soapbox]

Congrats on the CCW, by the way!

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.

Last edited by Mag+1; 06-19-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlithyouvong View Post
How is Orange County when it comes to CCW approval/Renewal? I currently have a CCW in Kern County but will be moving to Orange County 6 months before my CCW expires.

Has anyone experience this situation before? Thanks.
OCSD is pro CCW, but your Kern CCW expires if I remember two weeks after you relocate, so you might consider requesting a OCSD appointment soon. Your permit is good state wide, but it's duration is impacted if you move out of the county of issue.
Old 06-19-2017, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
Might also include construction sites are known to be robbed by addicts looking for a quick theft. They are likely to be high and unpredictable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's sort of a fine line, but remember you can't use deadly force to protect stuff. You can use force if your protecting yourself because your in fear of your life if someone is trying to steal your stuff well your there.

You can't control where the other guys bullets go, and the cost to defend yourself could make the value of your stuff look like coffee change.

There are more sensitive ways to word things.
Old 06-19-2017, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

If your interested in a OCSD CCW and you have questions, Artemis Defense Institute runs a FREE (yes really free) Pre-CCW Class which is run by a firearms attorney and former Asst DA. In fact he runs the same seminar and Q&A for CRPA monthly. You do have to RSVP but that is more a matter of limited seating, and set up. The next Pre-CCW Seminar is scheduled currently for July 22. You can check their calendar. Even if your going to use a trainer closer to where you live, going to to the seminar is well worth it if you have questions.

My personal feeling is it's time well spent.

The have a CCW legal issues seminar planned for 22 June, for those that have their permit, but that may already be full.
Old 06-20-2017, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
It's sort of a fine line, but remember you can't use deadly force to protect stuff. You can use force if your protecting yourself because your in fear of your life if someone is trying to steal your stuff well your there.

You can't control where the other guys bullets go, and the cost to defend yourself could make the value of your stuff look like coffee change.

There are more sensitive ways to word things.
^^This.

The language is that you explain why you have fear of bodily injury or death. Where there are lethal threats. So yeah, you can't shoot someone for trying to heist some property, but if your life is threatened in the process then you're defending same.
Old 06-20-2017, 9:00 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but about the only times I know of that you can use lethal defense for property items is that if you come home and an intruder is stealing your TV; or a break-in in the middle of the night and you find the bad guy rummaging through your stuff. However, these have more to do with castle doctrine, though.

Old 06-20-2017, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but about the only times I know of that you can use lethal defense for property items is that if you come home and an intruder is stealing your TV; or a break-in in the middle of the night and you find the bad guy rummaging through your stuff. However, these have more to do with castle doctrine, though.
That is a wrong assessment. The DA may choose not to prosecute, but unless the guy possess a direct threat to you technically can't touch him. This is where in training you get the conversation of the home owner went hunting. Burglar is unarmed, just trying to steal some stuff if presented with a force situation would leave, but the home owner who was safe in his bed room with his wife, no one else at risk goes out to look for whats going on, engages threat. Remember this is California, Castle Doctrine isn't law it's bounds are established by court decisions. More over you can win the criminal fight (no charges) and get cleaned out on the civil side. Worse if you take a shot it misses goes through your wall and hurts an innocent.

Part of the decision by the DA in a case like this will be a review of all you online posts, so keep that in mind. Now a violent home invasion is different than a guy just breaking and entering to snatch some stuff, or a drunk climbing the wall as happened last year in Belmont Shores.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
The DA may choose not to prosecute, but unless the guy possess a direct threat to you technically can't touch him.
So, in your personal opinion, would it be illegal to pull a weapon out to detain the "harmless" burglar who it stealing your stuff in your house until the cops arrive? No one knows if he has a lethal weapon on him or not. Is illegal brandishing in play here?

Last edited by Mag+1; 06-20-2017 at 10:24 AM..
Old 06-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
So, in your personal opinion, would it be illegal to pull a weapon out to detain the "harmless" burglar who it stealing your stuff in your house until the cops arrive? No one knows if he has a lethal weapon on him or not. Is illegal brandishing in play here?
I have heard of people going to jail for detaining burglars with a weapon, In CA all bets are off as to what will happen when you try to defend yourself or your property. Its really up to the police and the DA who are pretty much free to do as they want.
Old 06-20-2017, 1:52 PM

And why you need CCW insurance, civil and legal defense. Buy a policy for each if you carry. If you ever actually have to draw your weapon for any reason you may need either or both.

For good cause, 'defending your stuff' is not valid. Defending yourself from 'bodily injury or death' is.

We also caution about making your good cause all about your job, which may certainly be valid, but OCSD may then require you to get specific authorization from your employer. I don't think most of our normal business-type employers are up for that. If they are then great, use that, otherwise use caution with how it is worded and explained. It should be about incidental interaction with BG, not directly about your job.

Same for defense in the home - "I have a lot of stuff in my garage that is always open". You can't defend your 'stuff' with a firearm - you have insurance for that. But you can claim fear of bodily injury or death while coming and going to and from your home, possibly even due to what you might have in there that makes you a target. What is your neighborhood like? Presence of law enforcement? Crime stats? Response times?
Old 06-20-2017, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Your not in fear of your life then are you?
you can do what you want, but lawyer up.
Old 06-21-2017, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
You can attempt to detain the individual by holding them at gunpoint, but if they refuse to comply and retreat, you have no basis to use deadly force. If you draw your gun, make sure you're prepared to take a human life. If the robber turns aggressive, you won't get to reconsider. If you shoot, you need to have a solid basis for fearing for your or your family's death or injury.

Although California doesn't use the term "brandishing" in Penal Code, drawing in self-defense is not "brandishing". Self-defense is an exception to the prohibition. PC 417 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...1&d=1497804108) provides:
Quote:
(2) Every person who, except in self-defense, in the presence of any other person, draws or exhibits any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, in a rude, angry, or threatening manner, or who in any manner, unlawfully uses a firearm in any fight or quarrel is punishable as follows:....
Old 06-21-2017, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Your not in fear of your life thhen are you?
Fear of great bodily injury to oneself or to one's family also provide valid bases for self-defense and justifiable homicide. PEN 198.5 (http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=198.5.)
Quote:
Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury within his or her residence shall be presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that force is used against another person, not a member of the family or household, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using the force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.
As used in this section, great bodily injury means a significant or substantial physical injury.
Old 06-21-2017, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
You can attempt to detain the individual by holding them at gunpoint, but if they refuse to comply and retreat, you have no basis to use deadly force. If you draw your gun, make sure you're prepared to take a human life. If the robber turns aggressive, you won't get to reconsider. If you shoot, you need to have a solid basis for fearing for your or your family's death or injury.

Although California doesn't use the term "brandishing" in Penal Code, drawing in self-defense is not "brandishing". Self-defense is an exception to the prohibition. PC 417 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...1&d=1497804108) provides:
Quote:
Fear of great bodily injury to oneself or to one's family also provide valid bases for self-defense and justifiable homicide. PEN 198.5 (http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=198.5.)
Thanks, @Dvrjon, for these two references. I had read these a while back, but it's good to revisit these.

Old 06-21-2017, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

That sounds solid to me. I would certainly attempt to detain with gun drawn....there is a very fine line between a "harmless" burglar and a vital threat. I wouldn't drop my defenses just because it's a 16 year old standing there...they could be huge guys or armed, possibly a hidden knife. A runner would not be pursued by me.

Old 06-21-2017, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
That sounds solid to me. I would certainly attempt to detain with gun drawn....there is a very fine line between a "harmless" burglar and a vital threat. I wouldn't drop my defenses just because it's a 16 year old standing there...they could be huge guys or armed, possibly a hidden knife. A runner would not be pursued by me.

Sure. Till he comes back with the rest of the gang for you.
Old 06-22-2017, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Sure. Till he comes back with the rest of the gang for you.

That's where you guys come in
Old 07-21-2017, 6:08 PM

I'm going in for my initial interview Monday. I have a good cause statement typed up, but section 7 of the application also asks to list Reasons for Applicant Desiring a CCW license. Are they both the same thing? Do I have to write down my response or just note "see attached good cause statement."
Old 07-21-2017, 6:10 PM

My co-worker was unofficially denied.. I delayed for reason of new born baby and need better reason..
but did get my Arizona permit..

Old 07-22-2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldo View Post
I'm going in for my initial interview Monday. I have a good cause statement typed up, but section 7 of the application also asks to list Reasons for Applicant Desiring a CCW license. Are they both the same thing? Do I have to write down my response or just note "see attached good cause statement."
Yes, you refer to your GCS in that section.

I.e.; "Good cause statement attached"

Good cause is about where and how in your life, your travels, that you have the potential to be exposed to grave bodily injury or death. Why are you a potential target? What is different for you than normal every day citizens.

Yeah, it's bogus to have to come up with something, but they'll pretty much accept anything if you can articulate it. I think that's half the test.

Your entire application file is a CYA exercise for OCSD should you actually have to use your weapon. It will be scrutinized by all parties involved, and in detail, should that ever happen. Also why you need CCW insurance.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:09 PM

I have question for anyone that I haven't found any info on yet. I have noticed side work/jobs referenced on the CCW application process a couple times and mentioned here in this thread. If I work for a rideshare program (Uber, Lyft, Grubhub, Postmates....) should I list that as part of my GC? Should I list that for my side job or part-time job I travel across the county in different cities an potentially dangerous areas, and they are likely implementing cash tips which will make me a target; I have leg injuries that slightly inhibit mobility so I am more likely a target, etc.

I know that Uber/Lyft have a policy on firearms, but I am still curious about this since it could be a genuine reason. I have read on the various rideshare forums that people who believe they need to carry still do, regardless of their rideshare company's policies. (they figure that by them being independent contractors, it's not like they can be fired, and better alive with no job than dead with no carry protection).

Just curious since I'm preparing for getting all my things together and want to be sure I can get a solid GC before anything else.
Old 07-23-2017, 8:04 PM

No, that won't work. You can't carry while working as a taxi.

Leave out the 'work' aspect and describe your travels through areas that make you a target and that you are unable to physically defend yourself.

You describe where and how you have the potential to be met with a threat of grave bodily injury or death.
Old 07-23-2017, 8:53 PM

What about the postmates delivery aspect? From simple searching it doesn't seem to be a taxi service, and there's no firearms clause in their agreements. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 07-23-2017, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line View Post

The answer is no, if you have a clean record, and have the documentation you mentioned. Oh and your over 21.