Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-10-2017, 5:49 PM

Default Carrying at Bay to Breakers?

A group of friends plan on going to Bay to Breakers in a few weeks and was thinking of going along. We won't be taking part in the actual marathon, but the whole other portion of walking towards the finish line. My group will probably be drinking and I am going to be DD of course.

Would you carry? I am certain it is legal and concealed is concealed. I've carried in SF for a few weeks while I was visiting on business, but wanted to see what you guys would do.

In case you're not familiar with Bay to Breakers. It's a marathon in SF which also has a large crowd of people following the race and dressing up and drinking all over the streets.

I understand that anything in this thread is not legal advice.
Old 05-10-2017, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

Default Carrying at Bay to Breakers?

I wouldn't choose to put myself in that situation while carrying. Too many drunks, etc. concentrated together. For the same reason, even if I were in AZ with an AZ license and were therefore able to legally be in a bar while carrying, I would avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-10-2017, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

If you won't feel safe in that enviroment without carrying - don't go.
Old 05-11-2017, 7:23 AM

I'm not sure I understand the logic of not carrying a gun to an event where there will probably be a bunch of drunks.
If you don't need the gun nobody will know you have it, and if you do need the gun, well that's why we carry isn't it?

I generally agree that you shouldn't go somewhere that you wouldn't go unarmed just because you're armed. The gun isn't a suit of armor, it's a last resort.

But if you're going to go anyway, and you're not going to be one of the drunks yourself, what's the danger? That one of the drunks will start annoying you and you'll pull your gun out? You probably should turn in your permit if you think that might happen.
Old 05-11-2017, 8:39 AM

Bay to Breakers is not a marathon, it is a 12k. Last time I ran it I came in at a little over 61 minutes because I'm old and slow. Endless SWARMS of drunk or stoned people. Every smell you can imagine. Every kind of idiot you can imagine. The past couple of years there has been an increased presence of law enforcement officers and it has helped tremendously.

To answer your actual question, if I were to not actually run the race, and I wasn't going to be drinking or grabbing boobies, I'd carry. You just never know what will happen at any given moment. Heck, we could have a huge earthquake and you could be in the middle of "Escape from LA" without a firearm.
Old 05-11-2017, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd avoid going to anywhere near SF on that weekend. Too many jerks who's main goal in life is finding any excuse to get drunk, high or whatever. It used to be fun, now it's just full of people anyone who's carrying should be paractice avoiding, way too easy to get caught up in the numerous fights all along the route.
Old 05-12-2017, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I take shots View Post
I'm not sure I understand the logic of not carrying a gun to an event where there will probably be a bunch of drunks.
I think you underestimate the potential for chaotic, quickly evolving scenarios in which your options are pushed a bit too far toward an "all or nothing" extreme.

I wouldn't choose to attend a wacko-fest like that anyway, unless I were being paid to photograph the event. If I did go, I probably wouldn't carry. The gun isn't a cure-all, and anyone who thinks it's a very simple decision in every single situation probably hasn't thought it out as well as they should've.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro