Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-09-2017, 1:34 AM

Default Home carry or shooting range carry in CA without permit ?

Just thinking about home carry or carry at outdoor shooting range(range allowed).

Dose those carry need a CCW permit ? Or Can I open carry at home or outdoor shooting range?
Old 05-09-2017, 5:16 AM

You can open carry at home all day and night. Just stay on your property. As for the shooting range, I think that is the decision of the range owner, but I don't know that answer.
Old 05-09-2017, 5:29 AM
Veteran Member

OP

You did not post your location, there are a couple of ranges that meet your criteria

PM if you are interested
Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply is arithmetical at best.
Old 05-09-2017, 7:02 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
You can open carry at home all day and night. Just stay on your property. As for the shooting range, I think that is the decision of the range owner, but I don't know that answer.
Be careful about carrying outside, even on your own property. Standing on your front lawn in suburbia with your gun on your belt is likely to get you sone unwanted attention.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 05-09-2017, 9:05 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

See also the wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...oncealed_Carry

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-09-2017, 2:28 PM

That referenced wiki link does not clarify the private property needs to be fenced, gated, or restricted in any way - suburbia or otherwise.
Old 05-09-2017, 2:31 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
You can open carry at home all day and night. Just stay on your property..
Or concealed carry. And the part of the property you are carrying on cannot be accessible by the public, so unless your front yard has a fence around it - you cannot carry there. Same for your front porch. And if your garage door is open to the unfenced/ungated driveway - you can't carry in the garage while the door is open.

Old 05-09-2017, 4:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
That referenced wiki link does not clarify the private property needs to be fenced, gated, or restricted in any way - suburbia or otherwise.
See the court case Strider at that page.
Quote:
People v. Strider

In People v. Strider (2009) 177 Cal.App.4th 1393 the California Appellate Court ruled that a front yard surrounded by a fence and gate was not a public place for the purposes of PC § 12031.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Last edited by Librarian; 05-09-2017 at 6:05 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 4:06 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Or concealed carry. And the part of the property you are carrying on cannot be accessible by the public, so unless your front yard has a fence around it - you cannot carry there. Same for your front porch. And if your garage door is open to the unfenced/ungated driveway - you can't carry in the garage while the door is open.
Not arguing, I just don't know.... can you show me where it says that?
Old 05-09-2017, 6:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
And if your garage door is open to the unfenced/ungated driveway - you can't carry in the garage while the door is open.
I believe this part is plausible (in some areas) but as yet not established.

There are considerations, of course - neighbors making MWG calls, LEO observing and 'aggressively investigating', those sorts of things.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-09-2017, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I believe this part is plausible (in some areas) but as yet not established.

There are considerations, of course - neighbors making MWG calls, LEO observing and 'aggressively investigating', those sorts of things.
And put me down for the camp that believes based on court cases that IN MOST CASES an attached garage to a single family residence is protected much like the rest of the interior of the house.

Of course as you and others have mentioned; the resulting attention from neighbors, thieves, or potentially law enforcement when you mess around with guns in an open garage is probably not going to be wanted
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 05-09-2017, 7:09 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I agree the attached garage is like the inside of the house, until you open the garage vehicle door. Then it gets gray. This is CA after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Not arguing, I just don't know.... can you show me where it says that?
Sorry, which part? Not everything is spelled out in CA law. There is much that is 'not said'. So we are left to court cases to parse the meaning of the laws. See People v. Strider, where you will also find many citations to other cases that have determined the meaning of 'public place'.
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-court-...l/1192099.html

Or People v Jimenez http://law.justia.com/cases/californ...4th/33/54.html
Or People v Yarbrough http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-court-...l/1354166.html
Quote:
HE WAS SENTENCED To the middle term of two years in state prison for the conviction of carrying a loaded firearm in a public place...
Quote:
The area in front of a home, including a private driveway, is a public place if it is reasonably accessible to the public without a barrier.
And PC25850
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...0.&lawCode=PEN

Quote:
A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when the person carries a loaded firearm on the person or in a vehicle while in any public place...

Last edited by SkyHawk; 05-09-2017 at 7:33 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 7:45 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

^^^ Yeah, but in all cases we're talking about drug dealers and street thugs. I'd like to see a case of people v. John Doe where Mr. Doe was simply carrying a loaded firearm on his own property.
Old 05-09-2017, 7:50 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
^^^ Yeah, but in all cases we're talking about drug dealers and street thugs. I'd like to see a case of people v. John Doe where Mr. Doe was simply carrying a loaded firearm on his own property.
I wish all caselaw was made with a pastor as defendant. But it doesn't work that way. And those cases aren't just trial cases, they are appellate cases or CA Supreme Court cases, and they are published opinion. And now that it is caselaw, it will be used to hang John Doe in any CA court.

John Does best hope is that a sane officer is the one to greet him on his own property and that officer excercises discretion, or that a friendly DA rejects the case if it does result in arrest and charges referred. But in some areas, there is no hope. LA, SF, Berkeley, etc.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 05-09-2017 at 9:05 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Be careful about carrying outside, even on your own property. Standing on your front lawn in suburbia with your gun on your belt is likely to get you sone unwanted attention.
You right.

If Im going to carry at home, im not going outside my front door or backyard yard even one step in... No need for carry out of house I think... even its still inside my property area...
Old 05-09-2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
nice info there. thank you!
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 PM

If you are going to carry anywhere on your property in CA I recommend keeping it concealed.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dale View Post
If you are going to carry anywhere on your property in CA I recommend keeping it concealed.
^THIS^

Also if you have a fenced front yard, I have been told, no trespassing signs add an additional legal layer

CCW inside your house as well, in case you accidentally step out the door

When you carry all the time it is easy to forget that you are carrying. It's easy to take a nap and forget about your EDC
Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply is arithmetical at best.