Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default FAQ: Detailed info about license? It's probably up to the Issuing Agency (IA)

There's a reason there are so many threads about County Y or City Z or Sheriff X: much of the implementation of California's License to Carry law is left to the Issuing Agencies (IAs).

Some of the Calguns members might have applied to the same agency where you wish to apply, and may be able to be helpful.

But when you ask, please don't be coy. You really do need to say 'I live in Concord in Contra Costa County' (I do) or the equivalent for your situation.

Here are some of the many questions that cannot be answered without knowing the issuing agency:
Can I list a spouse's gun on my license?

How many guns can I list?

Must the guns be registered to me?

Must a gun be on the Roster?

Can I carry an SSE gun?

Can I carry large-capacity magazines in my CCW gun?

What training is acceptable?

What demonstrates or counts against determining one has 'good moral character?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 01-18-2016 at 7:53 AM..
Old 11-20-2014, 5:12 PM

Got mine in Orange County I can answer a few of the questions

Here they only allow 3 guns on your permit

I was able to put both my Gen 4 Glocks on mine

I believe sticking to the 10 round limit would be in your best interest

The training that is accepted varies from county to county for Orange they allowed 3 different ones at the time of my initial application interview.
I don't remember the third but the other two were Firearm training associates, which is the one I ended up going with, and then one held with On Target shooting range in Laguna Niguel.

Last edited by CGZ; 11-21-2014 at 7:27 AM..
Old 05-26-2016, 10:29 PM

Default CCW Handguns in Ventura County - Not for CCW

I live in Ventura County I Qualified with 4 handguns:

1. S&W Bodyguard .380 - Off list
2. Glock 42 - Off list
3. Springfield XDs 9mm - Off List
4. Sig P239 - On List

My original Background Investigator did not mention to me that I could not use these handguns for a CCW.

I was later called, after turning in my final paperwork, after qualification/training, that my first 3 handguns will not be allowed to be put on my CCW. I am not a LE officer, but I purchased those handguns over the past few years through PPT, and not from any of the same people.

I was told that the Sheriff feels that if they approve "an unsafe handgun", (defined by CA DOJ), one that is on the CA approved list, or one that was on the CA list, they will not allow me to carry it CCW. I am not sure if this is written down anywhere or not, but I can legally own it, shoot it, but just cannot carry it CCW.

There were no instructions on the application to the fact that only handguns they will approve are those on the CA list, or ones previously on the list.

So, If you are trying to get your CCW in Ventura County, please take note... Do not purchase or qualify with any of these types of handguns because you will be denied their use as a CCW handgun.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Does anyone know if any grip or slide modifications can be made to a ccw prior to inspection & be approved? I want to send my Glock 32 to Agency Arms to have grip work done & slide serrations added (no "windows" that would expose the barrel). I intend to leave the trigger stock.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustedSpy View Post
Does anyone know if any grip or slide modifications can be made to a ccw prior to inspection & be approved? I want to send my Glock 32 to Agency Arms to have grip work done & slide serrations added (no "windows" that would expose the barrel). I intend to leave the trigger stock.
That's something you need to ask your IA.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:47 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustedSpy View Post
And what part of
Quote:
But when you ask, please don't be coy. You really do need to say 'I live in Concord in Contra Costa County' (I do) or the equivalent for your situation.
did you not understand?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:27 AM

Unhappy Local IA discretion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hultgrenks View Post

2. Glock 42 - Off list
4. Sig P239 - On List

My original Background Investigator did not mention to me that I could not use these handguns for a CCW.

I was later called, after turning in my final paperwork, after qualification/training, that my first 3 handguns will not be allowed to be put on my CCW. I am not a LE officer, but I purchased those handguns over the past few years through PPT, and not from any of the same people.

I was told that the Sheriff feels that if they approve "an unsafe handgun", (defined by CA DOJ), one that is on the CA approved list, or one that was on the CA list, they will not allow me to carry it CCW. I am not sure if this is written down anywhere or not, but I can legally own it, shoot it, but just cannot carry it CCW.

There were no instructions on the application to the fact that only handguns they will approve are those on the CA list, or ones previously on the list.

So, If you are trying to get your CCW in Ventura County, please take note... Do not purchase or qualify with any of these types of handguns because you will be denied their use as a CCW handgun.
I would push back and ask for it in writing at a minimum. Second, I'd ask that the Sheriff update his written policy with this information to save people time and money.

My Sheriff/IA (and local CoP, but not my IA) won't allow more than 3. Sheriff's staff said it is a limitation on their computer software which prints the permits. City of Modesto is now virtual Shall Issue, so I was considering switching, but they also limit to 3. I spoke with a captain there in charge of things and he felt there was no need to have more than 3 (even though I told him I wanted to cross-list what my wife has), nor that one could be proficient with that many firearms. I respectfully disagreed and told him all of my Glock and M&Ps function identically, just with smaller frames/grips - none have external safeties or mag disconnects or any other thing that makes them function differently (other than the grip of the sub-compacts which are shorter and I get 2.5 fingers on). But I can shoot all of them very proficiently (obviously the longer barrel and bigger grip is better for accuracy, but I'm better with my "worst" handgun than most CCW holders are with their best handgun).

However, I have heard someone with my IA has an AR pistol on their permit.

Last edited by Jason95357; 08-05-2016 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 11-16-2016, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hultgrenks View Post

2. Glock 42 - Off list
4. Sig P239 - On List

I just had my interview in Ventura County and on my list of handguns is Springfield armory xd9 and my interviewer didn't say anything about it. I hope I won't have a problem.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk