Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-17-2017, 5:23 AM

Default OC CCW - conversion barrel help

I have a Glock 22 fully converted to 9mm, not just the barrel. I qualified with the 9mm only (not the 40s&w) and have it listed on my CCW as Glock 22 9mm.

When I picked up my CCW permit at OCSD, the worker told me that when they looked up the serial number for my Glock 22, DOJ had the caliber listed as 40s&w. She called another person to check what to do. They advised her it was ok to have my Glock 22 with 9mm conversion added to my permit. But they also suggested that I contact DOJ to update them of my conversion from 40 to 9, so that they may update their system with the new caliber. She told me that she would make a note in my CCW file that OCSD advised me to contact DOJ. She told me it was more for legality issues incase I was ever involved in a shooting.

So my question is who or where exactly do I go to change my caliber on file with DOJ? Is it even possible?

Thanks for any input!
Old 05-17-2017, 8:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't think it's possible. We've had other people in OC list multiple calibers for their Glocks and I don't remember them saying they were told what you were told.

Frankly, I don't think you can change the gun's caliber with DOJ, but others may know better.
Old 05-17-2017, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
I don't think it's possible. We've had other people in OC list multiple calibers for their Glocks and I don't remember them saying they were told what you were told.

Frankly, I don't think you can change the gun's caliber with DOJ, but others may know better.
Ok thats what I figured. The caliber is listed on my permit and I qualified with it. There are no trigger modifications on it, so I think I should be good to go.

Last edited by MisoMan; 05-17-2017 at 9:33 AM..
Old 06-04-2017, 11:23 AM

If you have a gun that is not in the original state the manufacturer sold it, it shouldn't be on your license. Conversion kits alter the gun from the original manufacturer's specifications and that might be against the policy of your IA.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibairho View Post
If you have a gun that is not in the original state the manufacturer sold it, it shouldn't be on your license. Conversion kits alter the gun from the original manufacturer's specifications and that might be against the policy of your IA.
You are right. I qualified with my G22 with a 9mm conversion. When I went to pick up my CCW they told me I had to take that firearm off the list because it was a different caliber than what was listed with DOJ. Essentially they said no conversion barrels on CCW firearms because the internals are. Ot the same from the factory.
Old 06-05-2017, 8:31 PM

So basically OCSD said for you to have the caliber updated with DOJ?

I don't know as I've never had that issue but maybe find a FFL who will transfer and do the paperwork for the new caliber. The same goes for those who have sse pistols in diff caliber and they wanted it on their ccw permit, they just re-dros'd back to themselves and the new updated info (caliber) gets sent to DOJ.

There is a thread floating around on calguns that a pawn shop can do this. Forgot which one.

Last edited by slixx1320; 06-05-2017 at 8:33 PM..
Old 06-05-2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slixx1320 View Post

I don't know as I've never had that issue but maybe find a FFL who will transfer and do the paperwork for the new caliber. The same goes for those who have sse pistols in diff caliber and they wanted it on their ccw permit, they just re-dros'd back to themselves and the new updated info (caliber) gets sent to DOJ.

There is a thread floating around on calguns that a pawn shop can do this. Forgot which one.
Ok didnt know I could reDROS to myself with a different caliber. Good to know. At first the issue was that the caliber (9mm) that I qualified with didnt match the caliber (40sw) on the DROS record. They initally told me to get it changed on DROS to 9mm so everything matches. Then I got a follow up call to tell me OCSD doesn't allow caliber conversions because i changed the internals from the original manufacturers parts. So the G22 got removed from my firearms CCW list.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slixx1320 View Post

You pawn and return the gun which triggers a re-DROS. Same with putting it on consignment at your LGS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist