Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-13-2018, 7:44 PM

Melville responded. Pretty vague. Didn't directly address "self defense"/"heightened risk" but reassured he's supportive:

Quote:
No further clarification is necessary, like I said, I/we will work with you to clarify the "good cause" needed with your application... I'm very supportive of CCW permits....
Old 05-14-2018, 7:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious21 View Post
Melville responded. Pretty vague. Didn't directly address "self defense"/"heightened risk" but reassured he's supportive:
Quote:
No further clarification is necessary, like I said, I/we will work with you to clarify the "good cause" needed with your application... I'm very supportive of CCW permits....
Who knows what that means as far as the GC he'll require. That's where San Diego County Gun Owners PAC had an advantage over you: they have an organization with web presence and X number of members who are activists, who get together for various events (and put on web photos showing their number and activities) and had an viable opponent (Myers) who came out for SD = GC. IOW, they have clout.

They were then able to approach Gore and say, if you don't liberalize your GC requirements NOW, we'll support Myers. Gore didn't care, didn't liberalize to SD = GC, Myers got endorsed by SDCGOPAC, Gore sees he's vulnerable and now (better late than never) is readily issuing CCWs (e.g., issued to folks who hiking/motorcycle in desert where poor/no cell reception, thus delayed LE response).

Vote for Melville if you want. It could be he's truly for liberalization of CCWs, but is too coy, to politically astute to say it given this is the SFBA.

But I wouldn't bust my butt trying to make him win w/o anything more definitive. I can too easily hear in his response, "Why do these 'little people' keep bothering me with their little CCW BS?!! Don't they know I'll have to ensure the safety of the entire county? They should just shut up and vote for me."

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 05-14-2018 at 7:30 AM..
Old 05-14-2018, 9:37 PM

Just curious, if Melville plastered everywhere that he would generously dole out CCWs, he'd be hammered by the liberal left in San Mateo. They would use that against him and cost him the election. I'd rather read between the lines and if he does win the office, give him a chance to settle in. Im betting there's a stack of CCW apps filed somewhere ever since Peruta came out.
Old 05-15-2018, 8:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel View Post
Just curious, if Melville plastered everywhere that he would generously dole out CCWs, he'd be hammered by the liberal left in San Mateo. They would use that against him and cost him the election.
Yes, I mentioned that above. It would be an easier call for SM Co gunnies to make if more of them had applied under Bolanos and posted their experiences (as I also mentioned above). But, for whatever reason/s, only 1 has recently. (I haven't gone back to review all posts since Bolanos took office).

Quote:
I'd rather read between the lines and if he does win the office, give him a chance to settle in.
Yes, assuming he's not using ambiguous statements just to get desperate SM Co gunnies to support him (as just another part of building a coalition behind him). But, as I'm sure he also knows, we've been burnt many times in the past and ambiguous statements do not energize voters.

Assuming he's pro-CCW (or pro Right to Bear Arms), he has to walk a political tightrope in the SFBA. Antis shot down that gun store from opening in San Carlos. But he has to understand our skepticism too.

Quote:
Im betting there's a stack of CCW apps filed somewhere ever since Peruta came out.
If they haven't already been shredded. If they have, I'm sure once word got out on CGN that Melville has liberalized GC that they'd reapply online.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-15-2018 at 8:37 AM..
Old 05-15-2018, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Just curious, if Melville plastered everywhere that he would generously dole out CCWs, he'd be hammered by the liberal left in San Mateo. They would use that against him and cost him the election. I'd rather read between the lines and if he does win the office, give him a chance to settle in.
I guess what I bolded above could be taken at face value and not just be telling a voter what they want to hear.

If you guys decide to support Melville, best to contact his campaign and fast to find out where they need help: money and manpower are key to winning political campaigns. Kids in MS/HS and college can help out (grunts doing grunt work enable generals to do what generals do). Kids might even be able to get class credit for it.

Post signs throughout the entire county (ocean side and bay side), north from SSF/DC down to Ath/MP/PV/Ws.

ID every gun shop, every shooting range, every IDPA club, every IPSC/USPSA club in the county. Make sure they're regularly stocked with Melville fliers/posters (after getting owner/head's approval).

Divide up the county and divide up the responsibilities. His campaign has probably done much of this, so just volunteer to join up with them and help out where they need it the most. You only have a few weeks left....

The key problem is everyone wants to get CCWs but they want someone else to do the work. Life doesn't work that way....

ETA: I just got this off of Melville's campaign's FAQs page. It was the first FAQ (emphasis in original): https://melville4sheriff2018.com/faqs

Quote:
SECOND AMENDMENT & CCW PERMITS

Q: Where do you stand on CCW permitting and allowing California/SMC residents to exercise their second amendment right? Also where do you stand on the current laws prohibiting gun owners and gun stores to exercise their second amendment rights?
A
: Thank you for the question. I support the 2nd Amendment. What I don't like is the bad guys having bigger fire power than the good guys, me. So I do support the registration of assault-type weapons. As for CCW's, I am also a big supporter. As you are aware, all CCW's are for self defense. The application asks for a "Good Cause" reason to support said request. I can assure you my team will work with applicants to ensure a positive Good Cause reason is adopted to support the application. If an application is denied, the applicant will be given the reason why, no BS reason. This way, a denied applicant will have the opportunity to correct the deficiency and resubmit. Also, I believe gun owners and store owners should be able to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. I hope this answers your issues, Thanks for your support and vote!!
Here's some links to Melville's campaign.

Contact for Melville's campaign: https://melville4sheriff2018.com/contact

Donate to Melville's campaign: https://melville4sheriff2018.com/donate

Volunteer for Melville's campaign: https://melville4sheriff2018.com/volunteer

Last edited by Paladin; 05-16-2018 at 7:59 AM..
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Calguns Addict

On the flip side, have any of you contacted Bolanos' campaign to find out his position re. GC and CCWs?

https://www.facebook.com/BolanosforSheriff2018/

Did you guys look through his campaign website for any CCW info?
https://www.bolanosforsanmateosheriff.com/

I only skimmed over it, but I didn't notice any CCW info on his Priorities webpage: https://www.bolanosforsanmateosherif...iff-priorities

Mail in ballots can start being mailed in pretty soon. You folks had better step up and fast if you want Melville as sheriff.

Old 05-16-2018, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
On the flip side, have any of you contacted Bolanos' campaign to find out his position re. GC and CCWs?

https://www.facebook.com/BolanosforSheriff2018/

Did you guys look through his campaign website for any CCW info?
https://www.bolanosforsanmateosheriff.com/
There's 2 reasons for contacting Bolanos: (1) to find out his position re. GC for CCWs and (2) to show him voters want to get CCWs. Replacing an incumbent sheriff is VERY difficult and we only learned about Melville a few weeks ago (and there's only a few weeks until the election), so best to pressure Bolanos as well.

It only takes 1 person who gets a reply to take care of item #1, but it takes as many San Mateo Co voters as possible contacting Bolanos' campaign to take care of item #2.

Like I said before, you guys need to get active and get active right now!

The links for Bolanos are above.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-16-2018 at 8:15 AM..
Old 05-16-2018, 1:35 PM

I sent him a message inquiring about his policy on CCW and expressing a desire for a more relaxed "good cause" requirement.
Old 05-16-2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mural9999 View Post
I sent him a message inquiring about his policy on CCW and expressing a desire for a more relaxed "good cause" requirement.
Bolanos or Melville?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 PM

Just had a decent exchange with Mr. Melville.

Me:
Thanks for the reply Mr. Melville. I've just read stories about others being declined but I don't know the exact details of their applications.
As someone who takes being a responsible citizen seriously, I've invested in over 60 hours of training in technique, situational application, force-on-force, and emergency trauma management, I don't want to spend the $200+ to begin the application process only to be denied because I'm not a judge, private investigator, security guard, or celebrity.
Mr Melville:
Not going to happen under my administration... I support the 2nd Amendment and CCW permits... The sheriff now, Bolanos does not issue said permits unless like you say you are a judge or are a private investigator....you need to get the word out to vote for me....!!!
Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 PM

That's better. At least he's acknowledging the current system is overly restrictive.
Old 05-17-2018, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Bolanos or Melville?

Bolanos. No reply as yet.
Old 05-17-2018, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
we only learned about Melville a few weeks ago
Whereas we've known about Bolanos for a long time now
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...of-2563465.php
Old 05-17-2018, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd encourage everyone to contact BOTH candidates to show that you care about CCWs, you're watching them and you're (starting to get) politically active in SM Co.

Put up those Melville lawn signs, signs in your apartment/home windows, and bumper stickers (taped to the inside of your car's rear window at least).

If someone can contact Melville's campaign to get an image of his signage, I can contact the CGNer who made the mini image of Lindsey's sign in my sig line to make a mini version of the Melville sign for your and other's usage in sig lines.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-17-2018 at 2:25 PM..
Old 05-17-2018, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastRadius View Post

Me:
Thanks for the reply Mr. Melville. I've just read stories about others being declined but I don't know the exact details of their applications.
As someone who takes being a responsible citizen seriously, I've invested in over 60 hours of training in technique, situational application, force-on-force, and emergency trauma management, I don't want to spend the $200+ to begin the application process only to be denied because I'm not a judge, private investigator, security guard, or celebrity.
If you get denied, you're out less than $100.

Quote:
If I'm understanding the fee structure correctly, you'll only be out $93 if you apply and are denied due to inadequate GC.

https://sanmateoca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Old 05-17-2018, 8:32 PM

Default I messaged Bolanos campaign Facebook

I messaged Bolanos' campaign Facebook page asking him to publicly institute a shall issue policy. We will see what, if anything, they respond with..
Quote:
There's 2 reasons for contacting Bolanos: (1) to find out his position re. GC for CCWs and (2) to show him voters want to get CCWs. Replacing an incumbent sheriff is VERY difficult and we only learned about Melville a few weeks ago (and there's only a few weeks until the election), so best to pressure Bolanos as well.

It only takes 1 person who gets a reply to take care of item #1, but it takes as many San Mateo Co voters as possible contacting Bolanos' campaign to take care of item #2.

Like I said before, you guys need to get active and get active right now!

The links for Bolanos are above.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 PM

I don't think "shall issue" is attainable here. A reasonable "may issue" is already an uphill battle.

Old 05-18-2018, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don't think "shall issue" is attainable here. A reasonable "may issue" is already an uphill battle.
The main thing is to let the sheriff know that there are residents/voters who are pro CCW, that his county's residents are not all antis, and that we want CCWs (i.e., it is an issue we'll use in voting for sheriff). Otherwise, the only "squeaky wheel" that will get "grease" are the antis.

Frankly, best to use 2018 as a "learning experience" for 2022. Find out how many registered voters; how many actually vote in this non-presidential primary; how many of those vote for a sheriff's candidate; how many of those vote for each challenger. Form a local group. Get a few thousand members. (Yeah, easier said than done, but focus only on 2nd A RKBA issues in San Mateo Co and put getting the sheriff to issue CCWs as the top priority.) And get large enough to swing the next election for a pro CCW candidate.

Quote:
Can you please stop your phone from posting this every time?

Last edited by Paladin; 05-18-2018 at 3:49 PM..
Old 05-18-2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Can you please stop your phone from posting this every time?
Maybe.
Old 05-18-2018, 4:49 PM

Default Sheriff Carlos B. replied.

The San Mateo County Sheriff, Carlos Bolanos, outlined his CCW policy in a Facebook message reply to my inquiry. Here it is:Capture3.JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudConservativeinCA View Post
I messaged Bolanos' campaign Facebook page asking him to publicly institute a shall issue policy. We will see what, if anything, they respond with..
Old 05-18-2018, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The San Mateo County Sheriff, Carlos Bolanos, outlined his CCW policy in a Facebook message reply to my inquiry. Here it is:Attachment 708006
Unfortunately, you fell victim to our loose use of "Shall Issue": only the state government can switch us from May Issue to Shall Issue.

What you meant to ask him is what is his standard for Good Cause? (or something like that)

Ideally, he'd accept "self defense" as a sufficient Good Cause statement for issuing a CCW to someone who passes the background check, has Good Moral Character, and passes the required training.

All he said in his reply is that he's going to obey CA state law.

So, until Sacto changes our state's CCW law, do not speak to a sheriff or CoP about changing to "Shall Issue" policy, SI for GC, etc.

Old 05-18-2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
That means most law abiding folks will be devoid of their 2A, when it comes to CG.
Old 05-18-2018, 6:54 PM

Default RE:

Alright Paladin, I acknowledge your analysis as being correct to the letter of law, I am only conveying that his position and CA law permittance of it, only serve to undermine the 2A and the intent of the law as applied by the several California County Sheriff who do consider SD to be adequate GC. That's all Im sayin. But I know you knew that already..
Quote:
Unfortunately, you fell victim to our loose use of "Shall Issue": only the state government can switch us from May Issue to Shall Issue.

What you meant to ask him is what is his standard for Good Cause? (or something like that)

Ideally, he'd accept "self defense" as a sufficient Good Cause statement for issuing a CCW to someone who passes the background check, has Good Moral Character, and passes the required training.

So, until Sacto changes our state's CCW law, do not speak to a sheriff or CoP about changing to "Shall Issue" policy, SI for GC, etc.
Old 05-18-2018, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Alright Paladin, I acknowledge your analysis as being correct to the letter of law, I am only conveying that his position and CA law permittance of it, only serve to undermine the 2A and the intent of the law as applied by the several California County Sheriff who do consider SD to be adequate GC. That's all Im sayin. But I know you knew that already..
Sorry if my post came off with a snarky tone: none was intended. It's just that I've seen many good folk on CGN get snookered by anti CLEOs that way. Another way is when the CLEO says something like "I have to obey the courts and they say I have to require Good Cause. Next question...." Of course, they don't allow you to ask the next question which is, "Will you accept 'self defense' as sufficient Good Cause?"

Old 05-28-2018, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastRadius View Post

Me:
Mr Melville:
Not going to happen under my administration... I support the 2nd Amendment and CCW permits... The sheriff now, Bolanos does not issue said permits unless like you say you are a judge or are a private investigator....you need to get the word out to vote for me....!!!
Quote:
I'd encourage everyone to contact BOTH candidates to show that you care about CCWs, you're watching them and you're (starting to get) politically active in SM Co.

Put up those Melville lawn signs, signs in your apartment/home windows, and bumper stickers (taped to the inside of your car's rear window at least).

If someone can contact Melville's campaign to get an image of his signage, I can contact the CGNer who made the mini image of Lindsey's sign in my sig line to make a mini version of the Melville sign for your and other's usage in sig lines.
Just a bump as a reminder and motivator.

Old 06-02-2018, 9:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Last weekend before the election bump: Vote Melville for Sheriff!

Old 06-02-2018, 3:26 PM

I have heard from several people that Bolanos is choosing not to renew many CCWs which issued before he took office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA instructor. Stop me before I join something else!
Old 06-02-2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
I have heard from several people that Bolanos is choosing not to renew many CCWs which issued before he took office.
No surprise there, we r in this lovely free state, where ur peasant life is less worthy than certain privilege others.
Old 06-02-2018, 9:12 PM

I heard the same when Mr. Melville personally dropped off lawn signs to my house. Had a nice chat with him.

Quote:
Old 06-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So, SM Co may be going from light red to dark red on the CA CCW GC map...

Old 06-04-2018, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, SM Co may be going from light red to dark red on the CA CCW GC map...
I know several that have been renewed under Bolanos and seeing how few permits there are in the county and with most of them with LE connections, I'm slightly skeptical about the "many".
Old 06-05-2018, 7:07 PM

Voted for Melville and submitted application.

I expect incumbent to win and application to be denied, and all my firearms confiscated when that slick *** become new governor.
Old 06-05-2018, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwidth View Post
Voted for Melville and submitted application.

I expect incumbent to win and application to be denied, and all my firearms confiscated when that slick *** become new governor.
Our best hope to save us from our own state's government, is Trump getting a lot more judges on CA9 and replacing at least 1 anti on SCOTUS.

Having said that, if the Repubs and a few Dems in the US Senate pass National Reciprocity, that will kick the antis in Sacto in the nuts....

Old 06-05-2018, 8:00 PM

Kinky Carlos is predictably leading 60% to 40%. People here are sheep, worse than my former compatriots who actually grew a pair and kicked commies out.

National reciprocity will not help us. We already have reciprocity with other CA counties and that does not help. Communists and sheep do not care.
Old 06-06-2018, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Kinky Carlos is predictably leading 60% to 40%. People here are sheep, worse than my former compatriots who actually grew a pair and kicked commies out.

Quote:
National reciprocity will not help us. We already have reciprocity with other CA counties and that does not help. Communists and sheep do not care.
In CA, I'd guess there are about 100k CCWers now, up from the 40 - 80k we averaged from the 1980s to 2010 (Heller and then McDonald). 100k CCWers in a state of 33M....

As of a year or two ago, John Lott estimated there were 16,000,000 CCWers in the entire US, ~5% of the adult population.

Think of the millions of out-of-state visitors CA gets each year -- people vacationing, visiting family, or taking business trips -- and imagine if 1 out of every 20 is CCWing. That number is HUGE!

Quote:
In 2016, the 47.3 million visitors to L.A. County...

Out of the 268 million tourists in California last year, roughly 75% were Californians, 18% were from other states and 7% were from outside the country.
More at: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...504-story.html

18% of 268,000,000 is 48,240,000. 5% of 48,240,000 is 2,412,000 Let's say they average 3.6 days in CA: that means you divide it by 100 to get 241,200 out-of-state CCWers per day, in addition to the 100k CA CCWers, taking you to a total of 341,200 total CCWers per day. Of course, holidays will probably be higher and other days lower. Regardless, that's an average increase of almost 3.5X CCWers, and most of the increase will be in the major tourist destinations which currently have the fewest issued CCWs (Marin, SF, Silicon Valley, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego).

Mayors and police chiefs of major cities in May Issue states have been attacking National Reciprocity in the MSM since it passed the House for a reason: they're scared as heck at it. Just do a little searching and reading.

Last edited by Paladin; 06-06-2018 at 8:05 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM

That is a lot of numbers but they would not care. It is all about scaring voters into voting. Not about any actual truth.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That is a lot of numbers but they would not care. It is all about scaring voters into voting. Not about any actual truth.

If anti politicians don't care about CCWers, they sure are expending a LOT of time, money and effort fighting against Nat'l Recip.

More proof from today's news:

Quote:
Quote:
If the proposed Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act (CCRA) becomes law, violence in New York City will climb to levels not seen since the 1990s, warns Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance, Jr.

“We are the most densely populated county in the biggest city in America,” Vance said Thursday. “The senator who votes for the CCRA from Texas, or from West Virginia, or from Arizona—they’re not going to have to pay the price for that.

“New York City is going to have to pay the price.”

The CCRA, which would force states to honor the concealed carry permits, or complete lack of permitting, of any other state, has already passed the House of Representatives and is awaiting a vote in the Senate. If it becomes federal law, Vance predicted it would introduce tens of thousands of guns into New York each year brought by the 40 million annual domestic visitors to the city.

Speaking at a public forum on gun policy at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Vance said, “it doesn’t take much imagination to understand that’s a dangerous thing.”

Vance, who is also co-chair of Prosecutors Against Gun Violence, said the potential presence of large numbers of concealed weapons in high-traffic environments like Times Square would strain the resources of police.

“They’re the ones who will be on the front lines,” he said. “They’re not going to know [who] has a concealed carry permit.”

His warning was echoed by Michael Palladino, president of the New York Police Department Detectives’ Endowment Association.

“If this bill does pass, it’s going to be a law enforcement nightmare,” Palladino said. “If just 10 percent of tourists bring their guns with them, we’re going to have a big problem.”
More at: https://thecrimereport.org/2018/06/0...-warns-vance/#

Old 06-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:

If anti politicians don't care about CCWers, they sure are expending a LOT of time, money and effort fighting against Nat'l Recip.

More proof from today's news:

Scaremongering, just like I said.

Fact is, even if it passes, and there are indeed 10% of tourists who are armed, they will not do anything to relax their own rules. They may tighten them further.

We already have people coming to work in the Bay Area from free counties in CA, they don't care. It is pure political posturing.