Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-18-2018, 3:47 PM

Default 7.5x55 Swiss Handloads

Just picked up a K31 this weekend.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any pet loads for this cartridge.
I do have some information already and a general starting point, but wanted to see what people were using for powder/bullets...

I would eventually like to make a reduced plinking load to reduce the barrel wear (looking at reduced 308 load as reference).

It was also noted that my K31 has a very shot throat.

Any information is appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 06-18-2018, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Do you mean a shot out throat or a short throat?

I use Hornady .308 150 grain fmjbt and the range of 45.0 grains IMR4064 loaded short, COAL of 2.85. The original Swiss projectiles are very "pointy" compared to most .308 projectiles which are fatter, hence why I load short. That may be what that person meant when they told you about the throat.

Tip: don't use RCBS 7.5 dies, they are general purpose for that caliber but the K31's chamber is slightly different. Get the Redding 80235 die set & your brass will last longer than 2 firings.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 PM

In addition to the above tip...if you use the Redding K31 dies (and I do) your hand loads will not chamber in a K11. If you need to reload for both, you'll need either the RCBS or Hornady die set. My plinking load is 49 gr. IMR 4350 with a Hornady 3031 150 gr. spire point bullet in GP11 brass. Yes, I reload GP11 brass. I've posted here before how I do it, it's easy and it's the nicest brass to work with. I scored 1000's of Berdan primers from a old timer at the gun shows and when Tula was imported a while back, I bought many 1000's of KV-7.62N Berdan primers. You should measure your chamber to get the seating depth of the bullet you want to use. Do not use the OAL listed in the books, they will jam in the lands and not chamber. I sure wish we could get our hands on GP11 bullets....Hornady made me a modified case out of a fired GP11 case for the Hornady gauge I have. The closest bullet I've found to the GP11 bullet is the Berger 175 gr. VLD target bullet but at 50 or so cents apiece, it's cheaper to just shoot surplus GP11, if you can find any right now.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Tip: don't use RCBS 7.5 dies, they are general purpose for that caliber but the K31's chamber is slightly different. Get the Redding 80235 die set & your brass will last longer than 2 firings.
Really?

I use the 7.5 Swiss RCBS FL die set my 96/11 and K31s. Provided that the FL die is properly set-up to size a fired brass 0.002" shorter, then that brass will certainly last more than two firings. Cartridge headspace.

Moderate loads also help extend brass life as well as mitigating throat erosion. I managed eight reloads from a once-fired PPU brass lot using 42 grains of Varget over 135 SMK or 155 Nosler CC bullet. This performs well at a 200 yard 35-round Garand Match.
Old 06-19-2018, 4:47 AM
I see banned people.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Prozac, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Latigo is one of the Swiss experts here.

Guisan passed away in 2015 but left us a wealth of knowledge.

Look up their threads and learn more than you ever expected.

The same thing happens when you are stupid.
Old 06-19-2018, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSightsOnly View Post

I use the 7.5 Swiss RCBS FL die set my 96/11 and K31s.
Which RCBS dies? RCBS makes K31- specific dies.
Old 06-19-2018, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

OP the Barnes Match Burners have a profile very similar to the K31 bullet.
Old 06-19-2018, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Which RCBS dies? RCBS makes K31- specific dies.
This is what I have been using - RCBS P/N 33501, Group A

I wasn't aware that RCBS got into the "K31-specific" niche along with Hornady and Redding. Yeah, like using "K31-specific" die set will extend brass life

Redding, however, has two different 7.5 Swiss die sets, K31-specific while the other works with Schmidt-Rubin chamber.
Old 06-19-2018, 2:49 PM

Thank you all for the initial responses.

kcheung2,
The seller let me know that the k31 that i bought had the short throat that he has seen in a k31. Originally, i didn't know if it was good or bad, but now as I understand it, the shorter throat would just make me seat the bullet deeper.

One thing I was wondering is "Can a short throat be beneficial for extended throat life?"

kkritter,
I was considering using the GP11 brass, but the berdan primers were an obstacle. Ended up with PPU brass instead. Quick question though, Is there is a way of converting berdan primes cases to boxer primed cases.
Not too sure on how easy it is (or if it is worth it, but just wanted to see if you had experience, heard it somewhere before).

Good point on the VLD vs GP11. I didn't know if i wanted to go down the rabbit hole of trying to improve on the GP11 ammo.

OpenSightsOnly,
Is .002" head space set back a good setting for the resizing die? I have also heard someone say to set it back .003".
Will it make a difference (aside from the brass being worked a bit more)?
Have you had any issues with .002" set back affecting the chambering of a round?

TKM,
I will certainly look up those threads.

Anyone have any experience with reduced loads using H4895?
Never used that powder before, but i would to develop a plinking round (100 yards), under 1950fps, using cheap .308 projectiles (maybe 30-30 or 30 carbine rounds?).
Am I crazy or can this be viable?
Old 06-19-2018, 3:10 PM

This is a sticky in the C&R forum:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=528460
Old 06-19-2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniNom View Post
OpenSightsOnly,
Is .002" head space set back a good setting for the resizing die? I have also heard someone say to set it back .003".
Will it make a difference (aside from the brass being worked a bit more)?
Have you had any issues with .002" set back affecting the chambering of a round?
For me, I chose 0.002" headspace set back since I can repeatedly-measure that set back

If you have a good feel for setting the die and can pull off 0.001" headspace, go for it! However, I would not go for a 0.003" setback just because that is for a gas gun set-up.

For a K31, a properly seated bullet that does not contact or jam into the lands while chambering is good, its just the nature of the K31 chamber, shorter throat and a generous shoulder/case body junction diameter (if compared to a Schmidt-Rubin chamber.) If that happens, then you will see the land marks or identation on the bullet's ogive.

As long as you consistently employ a headspace setback of either 0.001" or 0.002" for FL sizing, then you are good.

BTW, I have also used H4895 and IMR 8208XBR with the 125 SMK or 135 SMK with good results. It was in the 39 or 40 grain range.
Old 06-19-2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHobo View Post
For all things Swiss Rifle, go here - https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thes...mmessageboard/

That's the real deal
Old 06-19-2018, 10:27 PM

> kkritter,
> I was considering using the GP11 brass, but the berdan primers were an obstacle. Ended up with PPU brass instead. Quick question though, Is there is a way of converting berdan primes cases to boxer primed cases.>
> Not too sure on how easy it is (or if it is worth it, but just wanted to see if you had experience, heard it somewhere before).

I've read about converting Berdan to Boxer but I've never tried nor am I interested in it. It's an explosion going off inches from your face, not gonna mess with the brass...lol.

> Good point on the VLD vs GP11. I didn't know if i wanted to go down the rabbit hole of trying to improve on the GP11 ammo.

I don't think it can be improved, only approached. The Swiss still issue it for shooting matches in Switzerland...check out "Bloke on the Range" on YouTube. He several videos about Swiss rifles. The K31 is probably my favorite rifle to shoot, I can actually hit what I aim at.

Last edited by kkritter; 06-19-2018 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Just finished loading 150gr hornady SPs behind H335 last night.
I was able to seat the bullet .025" off the lands which has the bullet pretty far into the case, but seems dimensional sound since the ID of the case is still in contact with the .308" diameter surfaces.

Also experimented with 150gr Berry's Bullets. Also able to be seated .025" off lands. Heading to the range on Sunday for load development and testing out the rifle.