Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Default "That" dream

I used to get it frequently when I first started patrol, then they went away until after a particularly violent call that put me on DP for a while. The "100 lb trigger pull" dream, aka the "broken gun dream." IE: guy draws/shoots at you, and for the life of ya you can't pull the trigger because the pull is just too much. Or you pull and pull but nothing happens, gun won't cycle, just a paperweight.

Anyone else have these, and have any ideas on how to make them stop or at least not happen as often? I mean, not that I don't like waking up in a cold sweat and all, but the wife gets cranky when I flop over and hit her at 2 am.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 AM

Wow, thought I was alone on this one... I haven't had one in a while but when I did they were pretty frequent...

I didn't change my routine before bed to actually notice what triggered them to stop but it's been a while.

Yes, I hate them too

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 AM

Default Dream a lil dream

Solution: LUCID DREAMING... it takes practice and mental conditioning but it's very effective to combat nightmares!

*Not valid in CA, NY, HI, MD, NJ or DC
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Go shoot your duty gun, and shoot it a lot. Practice with it, manipulate it, go through shooting drills. It reassures my sub conscious that it does work and I can use it.
After that the dreams usually go away for me.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I've had them and there are always the jokes about it being related to performance anxiety. I did some study and research on the subject and found it pretty interesting.

It is about performance anxiety, but it isn't sexual...everything isn't about sex...it is about your ability to respond correctly the next time a similar incident occurs. It isn't about the gun at all and the desk duty only plays into it. No matter how much they say it is to give you a break from the stress, it is still perceived as a doubt that you did the right thing or that you will in the future...that is your perception and that brings on the dreams. It isn't about the gun, it is about you....going out to shoot your duty gun to assure yourself that it works is just a band-aid.

If you have Peer Support on your department I'd talk to one of them...it isn't that serious, but if you don't address it, it will manifest itself in other ways. If you don't have PS, you could look into your EAP (employee assistant program) and see what they offer. You can drop me a PM if you'd like more information, you wouldn't be the first

Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 10-09-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Old 10-09-2011, 3:37 PM

Everyone in my academy had them while we were in the firearms training portion of it (months 2 to 5). Funny thing is that I knew my gun worked, I knew I could hit the target, I knew my bullets would go faster than 1 foot an hour .... didn't matter still had the dreams.

Everyone got over it and joked about it. It wasn't anything that held anyone up except the failures. I had a feeling they were on their way out anyways.
Old 10-09-2011, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

I use to have them, but now that I'm out they're gone. It's part stress, partly your brain preparing you mentally for the worst. Use your vacation days, shoot often for fun, and just try to relieve stress as much as possible. The hardest part is asking for help when we need it because we all have the tough guy self image. Nothing wrong with that, but you just have to know your limitations. Like others have said, it's not serious but I know they suck. Different things work for different people so try to do whatever works for you as far as clearing your head. Trips to Yosemite with my family work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.
Old 10-09-2011, 4:47 PM

WOW!! I thought I was the only one that had this. I've never talked about it but its the worst feeling. I continue to have them to this day.
Old 10-09-2011, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thankfully this is something the TAC staff warned us about in the academy. They were big on what they called "Life Fitness", which didn't just concentrate on training and exercise, but taught us how to deal with stress of the job, difficult calls, and OIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.
Old 10-09-2011, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't have them anymore since I got out. Nor do I have the dream where I am in a foot chase trying to catch some guy and no matter how hard I run I can't catch him, like I am running in slow motion. Had them in the first years of my career with some frequency, but they dropped to only occasionally over time. Experience and confidence, I think, have something to do with them.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 PM

I use those dreams as a kind of mental training. I debrief the incident in my head when i wake up and file it away as another tactical experience. For the most part,when the gun doesn't go off i realize it's a dream, but it wasn't always like that.
Old 10-10-2011, 1:17 AM
Veteran Member

Every cop gets these dreams. You're not alone. There are many variations too.

The one I get is where I am hitting the guy with everything I got, every bullet center of mass, then, nothing. No effect whatsoever. The other one is the bullets come out but just drops right out of the barrel or flies like a spitball and drops in 5 feet.

I haven't had the one with the inoperable trigger or non functioning gun. Had the over where I couldn't run away fast enough from the perp I couldn't stop.

All terrifying but the frequency comes less and less as I worked and now they pretty much never happen unless something triggers it. Just a part of life in this business.
Old 10-10-2011, 8:41 AM

A doc told us to visualize the same dream but overcome the obstacle. ie, reload, rack the slide or pull the trigger. Like someone mentioned use it as a training scenario
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Wow, thought i was the only one who had those dreams. I use to get them wwhen i first started the department. For some reason they stoped years ago. I guess they go away with time.
Guns dont kill people, Dads with pretty Daughters kill people.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Solution: LUCID DREAMING... it takes practice and mental conditioning but it's very effective to combat nightmares!
This^^

Now when I have nightmares I just turn the monsters/badguys etc. into playboy bunnies and we have a wild night.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 10-10-2011, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

Will you take the blue pill or the red pill?
Old 10-12-2011, 1:18 AM

I've had those kinds of dreams many times. I think getting good training and meaningful practice with all your tools helps to build your confidence level and alleviate the dreams.
Old 10-12-2011, 1:49 AM

Anyone have the dream where your bullet drops one foot in front of you?
Old 10-12-2011, 3:07 AM

........Anyone ever have the dream where you're walking around the station wearing nothing but patrol boots and your 'sam browne'.......??????

What's that one mean.......?????

JK.......of course...........

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2003
Old 10-12-2011, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Even Dave Grossman says that it's performance anxiety, and that your subconscious is telling you to go train or to go do weapons maintenance....
Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys! I went to bed last night after posting in here at 2 am and promptly had one of those dreams.