Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 02-04-2011, 4:14 AM

Hey Tokie !!!

GREAT Gun Dude !!! A real WoWser !!!

When I was a small boy, my dad had a pistol exactly like that !!! Who knows, you may have my dad's old gun !!! My Dad served at Pearl Harbor during WWII, but that is not where he picked up the gun. He picked it up after the war, when he came home to his family, at that time american thrift stores, gun shops, et all, were flooded with Japanese and German surplus items like these, they could be had for just a few dollars, way back in the day.

I was about 6 or 7 I think when he picked it up, he let me hold it, showed me how to cock it, which, for a small boy was difficult to do, its cocking springs are pretty hefty and stiff. He told me, when I was old enough, he would give me that pistol for my own... Boy, I dreamed about that pistol for WEEKS after!!!

Unfortunately, my dad died very suddly when I was 14, and the family was devastated by his sudden death. By the time I remembered his old promise to me, and asked my mom about that old Luger dad had, she had told me, that the family had sold off all of his gun collection, and, all of his tool and die maker tools he had. (My Dad was a master tool and die maker machinist, he had thousands and thousands of dollars invested in his machine tools) They had done this to pay off his medical bills and final expenses.

Boy was I ANGRY !!! I felt I had been ROBBED of my ONE inheritance from my late Dad... I don't think I got over that for about a year or so.

But it's all water under the bridge now...

The reason I brought all this old stuff up was... You had mentioned something about, "The Journey the gun had traveled to get to the here and now..."...

Well, here is one story, about one gun, and who knows, it may be that one...

Please treasure your find, and if, by chance, you tell your son it will one day be his, write that down, let the family know, little things like that mean alot to a boy growing up.

Sincerely,

Elvin Warrior... aka... Dave
Old 02-04-2011, 5:09 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Dave, thanks for sharing. I remember when I was 11, my dad promised me that he would buy me an air rifle for my 12th b'day but it didn't happen because of my mom disagree with it (like you, I was dissappointed at that time too).
My son little over a year now, but I mentioned it many times to him (although he won't get it now) & my wife that someday all of mine will be his too.
________
VAPORIZER VIDOES

Last edited by t0kie; 09-19-2011 at 2:06 PM..
Old 02-04-2011, 6:57 AM

Hey T0kie !!!

I didn't intend to get all meloncholy on you... It was just an example, of the kinds of personal histories that surround old historical guns, sons and fathers, and such like that.

Life is often bittersweet at times, a mixture of fond memories, intermixed with lifes trials and tribulations. There is no need for sadness, all that unfolds in life is a lesson, our lives, and our fates are in God's hands, there is no better place to be.

Take care young man, I am sure your son will be all grown up, home, career, family, and well into his middle aged years long before his promised inheritance ever comes close to being fullfilled.

Elvin Warrior... aka... Dave
Old 02-04-2011, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

No, I didn't think that way & totally got your point, thank you.
________
Hotstuff live

Last edited by t0kie; 09-19-2011 at 2:07 PM..