Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-25-2010, 6:38 PM

Default # of guns on LEO application?

When I apply for either Police/Sheriff/CHP will they ask me how many guns I own and, if so, does it look bad to have a lot?

I ask because I own 1 pistol and 2 rifles and I would like to by a .22 rifle from Big 5 because it's on sale dirt cheap this week. My fear is that they'll see I have multiple guns and assume I'm some kind of trigger happy cowboy and therefore a liability not worth hiring.

What do you guys think? Should I buy the .22 or will it look bad on an LEO application?
Old 06-25-2010, 6:41 PM

When I went throught the process, they asked me about my firearms. At the time I had several rifles (3-4). One was a Garand, and the background investigator had to make sure it wasnt an assault weapon. I really dont think they care as long as everything is legit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
My staff is now at 10 beers, and has a tactical red lgt ont it, and is being ttached to me by a single point sling

i AM THE WISEST MOST TACTICAL WIZARD
Old 06-25-2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmzhwells View Post
When I went throught the process, they asked me about my firearms. At the time I had several rifles (3-4). One was a Garand, and the background investigator had to make sure it wasnt an assault weapon. I really dont think they care as long as everything is legit.
So I wonder then if they'll have an issue with my BB'd AR? I could recite the penal code to them verifying it's legality. I've asked local cops and they say most in San Jose are AR-friendly but if any one else has some input I'd be glad to hear it.
Old 06-25-2010, 6:54 PM

Just tell them its a 22.
Old 06-25-2010, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-120 View Post
Just tell them its a 22.
You mean tell them my 5.56 AR is a .22? I'm not about to lie on my application.
Or if you were just confused by my post: I already have a legit BB'd 5.56 AR and I would be purchasing a new .22 from big 5.
Old 06-25-2010, 8:06 PM

They only asked me about my registered handguns...They can't see your rifles unless you voluntarily registered them or they're registered assault weapons.

It made for a funny exchange. She started asking me one by one if I owned a .40cal X (yes) and a .45cal Y (yes) and a....(flipping through several pages of printout)...How many guns do you own?!? (A lot...I shoot competitively)..."OK" she says and that was the last I heard of it until my psych. She asked about them and I gave the same answer and that was that. No problem.
Old 06-25-2010, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
They only asked me about my registered handguns...They can't see your rifles unless you voluntarily registered them or they're registered assault weapons.

It made for a funny exchange. She started asking me one by one if I owned a .40cal X (yes) and a .45cal Y (yes) and a....(flipping through several pages of printout)...How many guns do you own?!? (A lot...I shoot competitively)..."OK" she says and that was the last I heard of it until my psych. She asked about them and I gave the same answer and that was that. No problem.
I figured based on how thorough the background check supposedly is, they'd probably ask about the ones I OWN, not necessarily the ones I registered, but I'm glad to hear others have been in the same boat and everything worked out fine.

Just for S&Giggles, how many guns did you own at the time?
Old 06-25-2010, 8:45 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

OP, I'm going to do you a favor, both as a fellow Calgunner and a retired leo. Give me your AR and that way you do not have to worry about anything. I will hold onto it until I believe it is safe to return it to you.
Old 06-25-2010, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
OP, I'm going to do you a favor, both as a fellow Calgunner and a retired leo. Give me your AR and that way you do not have to worry about anything. I will hold onto it until I believe it is safe to return it to you.
Wow, you sure meet the friendliest, least self-serving people on calguns!
Old 06-25-2010, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmime1234 View Post
I figured based on how thorough the background check supposedly is, they'd probably ask about the ones I OWN, not necessarily the ones I registered, but I'm glad to hear others have been in the same boat and everything worked out fine.

Just for S&Giggles, how many guns did you own at the time?
Hmmm...At the time...Probably between 15-20 handguns, but the way DROS works I think it showed all the ones I owned and sold/traded as well, so it probably had 30+ returns. Maybe more. I worked at a gun shop at the time....Like a frigin' kid in a candy store...I'm too tired and angry at breaking my trigger finger to really think about the actual numbers.

Last edited by SoCalDep; 06-25-2010 at 8:55 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 8:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Wow, you sure meet the friendliest, least self-serving people on calguns!
Why thank you. I'll make sure I'm home next Tuesday when it's delivered.
Old 06-25-2010, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...At the time...Probably between 15-20 handguns, but the way DROS works I think it showed all the ones I owned and sold/traded as well, so it probably had 30+ returns. Maybe more. I worked at a gun shop at the time....Like a frigin' kid in a candy store...I'm too tired and angry at breaking my trigger finger to really think about the actual numbers.
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your finger. Hope it wasn't your trigger finger. Thanks for the info, it makes me feel a lot better about my situation.
Old 06-25-2010, 9:46 PM
Jonathan Doe

They knew I was shooting competitions. They knew I had several guns. They saw my trophies and were impressed. Guns were never an issue then.
Old 06-25-2010, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your finger. Hope it wasn't your trigger finger. Thanks for the info, it makes me feel a lot better about my situation.
Oh...It was. A month of light duty, no trainee, and I'm tearing my hair out. Came up with a good disaster preparedness powerpoint though!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I'm too tired and angry at breaking my trigger finger to really think about the actual numbers.
that just gives you an excuse to work on your weak-hand shooting

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-26-2010, 8:45 AM

I've done numerous backgrounds on LEO candidates. Its not a big deal at all. What I did do was to check the addresses on the AFS list against the personal history statement to make sure they were truthful.
Old 06-26-2010, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
I've done numerous backgrounds on LEO candidates. Its not a big deal at all. What I did do was to check the addresses on the AFS list against the personal history statement to make sure they were truthful.
That's good to hear. I have no reason, nor intention to lie about anything on my application so I won't have to worry about being truthful being an issue. As long as quantity's not an issue, it's sounding like I am gonna go ahead and by that new .22!
Old 06-26-2010, 9:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You mean tell them my 5.56 AR is a .22? I'm not about to lie on my application.
Or if you were just confused by my post: I already have a legit BB'd 5.56 AR and I would be purchasing a new .22 from big 5.
Most AR style rifles have a .22cal bore. If your's is chambered in .223 or 5.56 IT IS a .22cal rifle. It is not a .22LR cal rifle though. So, if you word it correctly, you would not be lieing. Also, I would not call yur BB equiped AR an "AR" at all. Just call it a " (insert manufacturer's name) .22cal (or .223 if it makes you happy), semi auto carbine (or rifle)".
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 06-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Same, I was honest when they asked me. Told them I was a hunter and competitive shooter, some where for competing, some hunting and some were prizes won at matches. They didnt give me any issues about it.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 AM

A handgun and two or three rifles won't raise any red flags. Get the .22 and enjoy it. When I was hired I just had to list the guns I owned on a form that had spaces for model, serial, caliber etc. Weapons handling and marksmanship are an important skill in LE, and you can easily articulate a desire to have a variety of weapons to practice with to even the most liberal of departments. I know that now is not the time to be picky about an agency, but I wouldn't want to work for an agency that frowned upon owning firearms.

I doubt your BB AR-pattern rifle will even be an issue. When you list it, you will simply be putting model, serial, caliber info. If the investigator is aware that what you listed is and AR-pattern, they will most likely know about the legalities of the bullet button. I would be surprised if any of this even came up. You've already stated you know better than to play word games about caliber, and what not. It sure would stink to get DQ'd because you misrepresented a .223 as a .22 and then have that department black list you from other departments. Follow your instincts and you'll do fine.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 AM

When I applied (many moons ago) I disclosed every thing including at least 30 guns including pre 89 registered assault rifles. There were a few questions but no big deal. I suggest being honest. Lying or hiding facts on your application is grounds for dismissal if found out and can bite you in the *** years later.
Old 06-26-2010, 8:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just wait til they ask you about your sexual habits. LOL
Old 06-26-2010, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
Just wait til they ask you about your sexual habits. LOL
That sounds like it's gonna be fun.

Thanks, now I have another thing to be paranoid about!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Most AR style rifles have a .22cal bore. If your's is chambered in .223 or 5.56 IT IS a .22cal rifle. It is not a .22LR cal rifle though. So, if you word it correctly, you would not be lieing. Also, I would not call yur BB equiped AR an "AR" at all. Just call it a " (insert manufacturer's name) .22cal (or .223 if it makes you happy), semi auto carbine (or rifle)".
IGNORE THIS !!!! If you want to be a LEO, don't fall for idiotic word games. It is the same as lying and will get you DQ'd faster than hot brass will burn your skin.

Feel free to list your Stag/Spikes/Whatever OLL as a .223 semi-automatic rifle. It is NOT an AR-15 by definition, so don't call it one.

And don't worry about getting the .22. Buy it and enjoy it.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 06-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
IGNORE THIS !!!! If you want to be a LEO, don't fall for idiotic word games. It is the same as lying and will get you DQ'd faster than hot brass will burn your skin.

Feel free to list your Stag/Spikes/Whatever OLL as a .223 semi-automatic rifle. It is NOT an AR-15 by definition, so don't call it one.

Thanks. That's essentially what I was gonna do. This is something I take very seriously and is very important to me and the last thing I want to do is jeopardize it by playing word games. I'll just list it as it says on my receiver, no more, no less. If they ask more about it, I'll tell them it's an California legal AR-pattern rifle. If that's unacceptable to them, then so be it. I'd rather get rejected by one department than blacklist myself from ALL of them by lying.
Old 06-27-2010, 6:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Quote:

So, you first tell the OP to ignore my post and then you give him the same advice sans the "caliber" designation.

If you look at the OP's post that I had qouted, he thought that it would be a lie to call a 5.56 rifle a .22cal. It is not a lie. The barrel is mode to expel .22cal bullets plain and simple. I was trying to educate him about his rifle. It appears that he did not understand that a .223, 5.56, 5.7, .22 Hornet, .22-250, 22WRM, .22short, .22long, .22CB cap, .22lr, etc. all have .22 cal bore diameters. It's his choice how he chooses to designate the "caliber" of his rilfes as long as he does not lie about it.

Please note that I never said that he should lie or play any word games. In fact, I even said that he can call it a .223 cal if it makes him happy.

If I understand you correctly, according to your advise, he should ONLY call his rifle a .223 cal? If it is marked 5.56, wouldn't he be lieing? They are not the same round and have different specs. Of course, they both expel .22cal projectiles.

To the OP,

I would not ever encourage you to lie on your application. I have not seen the rifle in question so, I do not know the exact chambering of your upper. I assumed it was a .22cal of some sort though. If you are really concerned about what caliber designation you should use, look at the barrel. IT should be there. If you don't want to use that, remove the upper and find a .17cal upper for it. Or, let me know and I will loan you a dedicated .22lr upper for a few months.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 06-27-2010, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER
Quote:

I'm in the process with a few depts right now. Don't fabricate anything or play word games. Follow RonSolo's advise.
Old 06-27-2010, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That sounds like it's gonna be fun.

Thanks, now I have another thing to be paranoid about!
Don't worry, they've heard it all before. Just be honest about anything they ask. Practice answering in an acceptable way. For instance, a friend of mine applied to be a cop, one day before this, a guy kicked in his door and he hit the guy with his baseball bat, defending his property and possibly life. Well, he didn't word it correctly and failed the psych cause he was "too violent". But he's a standup guy and not prone to violence, he only knows when to take care of business. So, practice some answers.
Old 06-27-2010, 9:34 AM

Quote:
When I apply for either Police/Sheriff/CHP will they ask me how many guns I own and, if so, does it look bad to have a lot?

I ask because I own 1 pistol and 2 rifles and I would like to by a .22 rifle from Big 5 because it's on sale dirt cheap this week. My fear is that they'll see I have multiple guns and assume I'm some kind of trigger happy cowboy and therefore a liability not worth hiring.

What do you guys think? Should I buy the .22 or will it look bad on an LEO application?
I wouldn't think three or four guns would even raise an issue. I do know for a fact that a lot of the questions on a background check are just to test your honesty and there sometimes aren't any right or wrong answers.

I went through a LE background check and passed but I wasn't asked any questions about firearms. This was about 10 years ago so it's probably changed for many departments or agencies.

I would not worry about a thing unless you actually are some trigger happy cowboy!
Old 06-27-2010, 8:07 PM

I remeber being asked if I own firearms and I said yes. there was no problem throughout the hiring process. during my psyc exam i had to explain that i was not collecting guns for illegal reasons, but rather to have them for hunting and fun.

Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident. Then there are the wolves and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy. Then there are sheepdogs and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
Old 06-27-2010, 8:30 PM

Quote:
What's an "AFS list" ??
Old 06-27-2010, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytech_redneck View Post
I remeber being asked if I own firearms and I said yes. there was no problem throughout the hiring process. during my psyc exam i had to explain that i was not collecting guns for illegal reasons, but rather to have them for hunting and fun.
The psych part is what I was more concerned about than anything. I don't really have a good reason like hunting/collecting/competition. I just enjoy going to the shooting range! I suppose there's the element of self defense too, but I have dogs that would scare any intruders away long before I'd ever have to go to my firearms.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
What's an "AFS list" ??
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...t=70351&page=2
Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
The psych part is what I was more concerned about than anything. I don't really have a good reason like hunting/collecting/competition. I just enjoy going to the shooting range! I suppose there's the element of self defense too, but I have dogs that would scare any intruders away long before I'd ever have to go to my firearms.
A firearm is a tool. Whatever trade you choose you want to be proficient with the tools you will use during your carrer. Firearms are a tool of the of the Law Enforcement trade and by becoming proficent and familier with many types of firearms that you could encounter on the job, your ensuring the safety of yourself and fellow officers.

When going through POST your strong firearms knowledge will let you focus on your weaker subjects while in training.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.

Last edited by SJgunguy24; 06-28-2010 at 7:05 AM..
Old 06-28-2010, 6:54 AM

AFS means Automated Firearms System. The computer system LEO's use to check firearms data base, owners, thefts & etc. To be honest I can get more info about a candidate from one's Facebook, Myspace & etc page than a list of firearms they own. Be careful what you put on there (hint, hint)!!

Last edited by oddjob; 06-28-2010 at 6:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
AFS means Automated Firearms System. The computer system LEO's use to check firearms data base, owners, thefts & etc. To be honest I can get more info about a candidate from one's Facebook, Myspace & etc page than a list of firearms they own. Be careful what you put on there (hint, hint)!!
I don't have a myspace/facebook: Call me old fashioned but I like face to face communication with my friends.
-That's not to say I don't enjoy calguns to the fullest extent!

I am, however, very conscious of what I post online at any site. I tried to practice "think before you speak" as much as I can, both online and in daily life.
------------------------------------------------------
I'm happy to inform everyone who posted on this thread that I took your advice and bought the new .22 as both an early college graudation/Mcdonald celebratory gift! It's a Savage 64fxp that was on sale at Big 5 for $139.99 and I had a 10% off coupon! It's nothing special, I just wanted a cheap camping/plinking .22 and this fits the bill! Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 06-28-2010, 5:30 PM

Don't worry about stuff like that, or over-think it. Be honest (and law-abiding...).

I would change your online stuff, user name, etc., however ("killmime"? Kalifornia? ). Be more serious and professional on your Facebook/Myspace/whatever...
Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1145 View Post
Don't worry about stuff like that, or over-think it. Be honest (and law-abiding...).

I would change your online stuff, user name, etc., however ("killmime"? Kalifornia? ). Be more serious and professional on your Facebook/Myspace/whatever...
That's actually a very good point. Among friends these are inside jokes, however I can see how they can easily be construed as otherwise.

Is it possible to change your calguns handle? I assume something like that is permanent.
Old 06-29-2010, 3:39 AM

Get rid of that screenname and avatar. Be truthful all the way through and let it takes it's course. If it's meant to be than stand tall and be proud. If not, even if you're a good liar those lies will come out down the road and the consequences will cost very dearly.
Old 06-29-2010, 7:50 AM

Here in Kern County, as part of its background investigation, the Sheriff's Department asks you to list ALL of your firearms, including those that do not belong to you, that are in your house.
I have never been able to figure out, since nobody seems to know, what they do with this information.