Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-12-2010, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Unhappy **Updated**Am I too old to become a LEO? **Updated**

Just curious about age limits for Police Academy or the Sheriffs academy in Orange County CA? I would not even mind being a reserve officer. I am 43 and will be 44 this December, in decent shape, I run 3-4 times a week, a former Marine and no criminal record.
I applied to go to the Citizen Police Academy to become a Police Volunteer at my local PD which I am really looking forward to if I am accepted. Also my 15 yo daughter just became a Police Explorer to! I am really proud of her.

I did a search, but found no relevant info on this section of the forums to my particular question.
Any info is really appreciated, thanks.
Camp Pendelton, CA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Battalion_9th_Marines

Last edited by ledman; 06-19-2010 at 11:42 AM..
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM
CGN Contributor

I donít believe they can deny you entry into an academy class held at a JC or other educational institution. But getting hired and having to attend an agency academy may pose a problem if the county or city has a maximum age clause in their job/performance description, CHP has an age limit on their entry level cadets I think.
But I worked with a deputy that had put himself through a level 1 academy and then went to work after he retired from a very high paying corporate management job, and he is a former Marine as well. I never really asked how old he was, I know heís much older than I was (39) at the time, but it didnít really matter. He still is one of the best peace officers I have had the pleasure of meeting or working with. I never once heard him raise his voice or speak in a degrading or mean spirited way to anyone; suspect, victim or witness. And he is also a top hand to have as cover when things donít go the easy way

Now I have to ask, why on earth would you want to make the jump now? Not that I want to discourage you but I havenít had the greatest luck with injuries the last couple of years and Iím only a shade younger than you are.

Now for the disclaimer portion, I am not familiar with the hiring practices of any agency outside of my own, nor am I familiar with specific labor or education codes addressing the questions put forth by the OP.
But damn I wouldnít let it stop me from trying, even if I had known how my story would play out I wouldnít have changed a thing. It was a great ride while it lasted
Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

No you are not too old; start applying.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:56 PM

Only thing to keep in mind is that very few departments are hiring right now in So Cal. With that in mind, know that the competition will be quite substantial. Ten years ago you would have got in without any problem. Today you are competing with 23 year old kids with B.A.'s from USC with 5% bodyfat...
Quote:
"I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." -during a 1984 presidential debate with Walter Mondale

...I say go for it with all you got and show those kids who's their daddy...
Old 06-13-2010, 2:06 AM

Have you checked the departments' websites? Good chance that they will have their requirements for different positions posted.

IMO:

As far as age is concerned - YMMV (depends on the individual). Some guys/gals aren't cut out for the job At Any Age. The two oldest guys in my academy class were 41 and 44. 41 was a PT stud and a solid deputy and is now a K9 handler. 44 barely squeaked by and got "rolled up" (didn't pass) his first try at patrol training (haven't heard about his 2nd try).

At your age and with your experience, you have a lot to offer that most kids don't (especially the one's where this is their first job and they're still living at home - for example).

That being said, street patrol is a young(er) man's game. All else being equal, the older you get, the harder it is to bounce back from difficulties/problems/injuries and the more the job (hours, stress, diet, physicality, etc) wears on you.

If this is something that you really really want to do, go for it. If you're not sure, go on a bunch of rides to see what you might be getting yourself into.

Keep in mind that there is a good chance that you won't be able to max out on your retirement benefits, even if you buy back all your military time (hopefully, you'll still be able to earn full medical/dental).

If you've got a good job, you're happy where you're at, and you've got some spare time (extremely rare when you have kids to raise), then going the Reserve route might not be a bad idea.

For the most part, this job is NOT family friendly...
Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Not too old.... start inquiring with agencies, the larger the better to start.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 06-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you everyone for your input/advice!

I have looked around at different agency websites, but they never mention an age limit, other than you need to be at least 21, they do not mention a cap on how old you can be. The exception is the CA HP that clearly says 35 is the max age limit.

Someone asked why now? That is a great question! I think with my daughter getting involved in the Police explorers program, it has brought back those feelings for me of wanting to be a police officer my whole life. As you all know, life sometimes throws you a curve ball, and I got into a job/career as I needed something to support myself and family right away once I was discharged from the Marines.

My kids are 15 and 18. My wife supports me in whatever I want to do, so no real issues there. Being a former Military man, I know how it can be, as being married in the Marines is very hard on a family with all the deployment time and training we do that requires us to be away from home.

I have a good job with FedEx. I drive the Semi trucks handling heavy freight locally in Orange County, so I am home every night, I work M-F 8am-6pm and I have worked there for just over 5 years now and do not plan on leaving, especially not in this economy. We actually just got a pay increase,(after 2 years of no pay increase) while other freight companies are giving pay DECREASES.
I have a company paid pension, 401k(with company match) good benefits and a decent(hourly) pay rate, actually I would probably make less as a LEO at first if I became a FT officer, so a reserve officer position would probably be more for me at this point in my life/career.

I am hoping to be accepted into the Civilian Police Academy, and become a (un-sworn) Police volunteer at my local PD. Once completing the training, I would get a certificate and a Volunteer police uniform. I would be required to volunteer at least 12 hours per month, helping with events around the city and other police related activities. But they made it very clear, that if I do become a Police volunteer, I am very much a part of the department. That is pretty cool, they have all the pictures of sworn, and un-sworn officers on the wall.

I know this will give me only a (very) minor taste of what it is like to be a sworn officer, but I feel this is the least I can to help and serve my community better and understand what it takes to be in law enforcement.

If I do take this on, I am not to worried about the physical aspect of it, I think I could hold my own. Can I run a 6 minute mile like I did when I was 19? No, but I just got back from running and completed a 6 mile run in 1 hour, not bad for an old fart, lol.
Thanks everyone!
Camp Pendelton, CA

Last edited by ledman; 06-13-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Old 06-13-2010, 5:41 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Good luck and enjoy your time with the dept. Despite my many surgeries due to the job and my career ending before I wanted it to, I enjoyed my time in le and wouldn't change my career choice.

The only thing I would have done differently is transferred over to the DA's office as an Investigator since I probably wouldn't have had the surgeries I did.
Old 06-13-2010, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Does anyone know where I can find info on how to get into the Police Academy? I have searched the web, and all that keeps popping up is the LAPD. I am sure there is one in the OC. I know the OC Sheriffs has a academy here.
Camp Pendelton, CA

Old 06-13-2010, 6:07 PM

There is the O.C. Sheriff's academy and the Golden West College academy. Find the phone numbers for those 2 and ask about their requirements to "pre-service" admission.
Old 06-13-2010, 9:51 PM

We had lots of old farts in my academy (including me). The average age was about 40 since over half of the cadets were retired military. (most retired with 20 years).

Unfortunately, half of our class didnt make it. Most dropped on their own or got released during field training. I dont know if this is normal but there was a high wash out rate which did scare me a little. I think they had officer safety issues which is just about the only thing they hate most. Everything else can be fixed with remediation.

As previously mentioned, LE jobs are hard to get in todays economic down turn. city and state budgets are in the crapper and many LEO's are getting furloughs or even laid off. That means a new grad has to compete with seasoned officers for the same jobs.

Not good odds.

I recently turned down a federal LE job up in San Francisco so there is hope of getting LE jobs but you really have to kick but in the interview. It is possible but prepare for some tough times in the LE world.

Also, if you do get hired and the state, county or city budget takes an even worse dive...the guy with the least amount of seniority gets the walking papers. Something to think about.
Old 06-14-2010, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Some time back a 50 year old applied for LAPD, it made the news.
Old 06-14-2010, 6:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Come up to san francisco!! If you're a 44 yr. old man and can still get into a dress with high heals they will hire you!! This really is not a joke!
Old 06-14-2010, 6:59 PM

a guy in my academy was 44 and got through it with no problems but he was let go during the phase one of the FT program
Old 06-14-2010, 7:12 PM

I know retired USMC MsSgt 20yrs in Service and Now he is with CMPD,He is 42 yrs old..
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 AM

Go to the OCSD website and check out their reserve program if you are interested in volunteering. You aren't too old.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody33 View Post
Go to the OCSD website and check out their reserve program if you are interested in volunteering. You aren't too old.
That's what I'd recommend. Sounds like you have a good career, with good pay and benefits, and a family friendly schedule.
If you can get a job in today's economy, beginning law enforcement means shift work, working Christmas's, weekends, and holidays for many years until you build up some seniority.
As a reserve you can keep your normal work and family lifestyle, do some service to the community, and get a little excitement and challenge. Plus if you really do decide you want to go full time, being a reserve will give you a inside look at the job.
Old 06-15-2010, 4:36 PM

OCSD Reserve Testing Dates
For Recruitment Information Call (714) 566-2711

Upcoming Test Dates for the position of Reserve Deputy Sheriff:

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department will be testing for Reserve Deputy on Saturday June 19, 2010, at 8am at the Orange County Sheriff’s Regional Training Academy located at 15991 Armstrong, Tustin, Ca.

To complete the testing process applicants must pass the written test, physical agility test and pre-background screening. An oral interview will be scheduled for the following week for those applicants who successfully complete the testing on Saturday.

Applicants should dress in comfortable clothes suitable for the obstacle course. Applicants should also bring with them their valid driver’s license for identification.

Questions about the Reserve Deputy position can be directed to Lt. Paul Fuzzard 714-566-2711 or pfuzzard@ocsd.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Questions about the testing or hiring process should be directed to the Professional Services Bureau at 714-647-1888.

For more information on joining the Reserves, see our How to Join page,
or call the Reserve Office: (714) 566-2711.

http://ocsd.org/index.php?option=com...=275&Itemid=94

You can PM me for more info/encouragement.
Old 06-15-2010, 5:07 PM
Administrator

The OC Sheriff's Dept. had the hardest physical agility test I ever took. I would suggest you go down a couple of days early to see what they have to do. I don't know if they have changed anything since I did it decades ago, but it is run in soft/deep beach sand.

I started out fast and realized if I didn't slow down a bit, I'd never finish in a good time. Also, I went down a couple of days early and the guy said you could either do pull ups or chin ups. Before you began, they would read some instructions to you. I watched some of the applicants go thru the test and it was just like he said.

Well, when I came down two days later for my turn, they made us do the harder of the two, there was no choice and they read the instructions (took about a minute) while we were hanging from the bar. We couldn't start the pull ups until he finished talking. I did it with no problem, but it wasn't very equitable IMO and no, I certainly didn't say anything.
Old 06-15-2010, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsheepdog View Post
OCSD Reserve Testing Dates
For Recruitment Information Call (714) 566-2711

Upcoming Test Dates for the position of Reserve Deputy Sheriff:

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department will be testing for Reserve Deputy on Saturday June 19, 2010, at 8am at the Orange County Sheriff’s Regional Training Academy located at 15991 Armstrong, Tustin, Ca.

To complete the testing process applicants must pass the written test, physical agility test and pre-background screening. An oral interview will be scheduled for the following week for those applicants who successfully complete the testing on Saturday.

Applicants should dress in comfortable clothes suitable for the obstacle course. Applicants should also bring with them their valid driver’s license for identification.

Questions about the Reserve Deputy position can be directed to Lt. Paul Fuzzard 714-566-2711 or pfuzzard@ocsd.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Questions about the testing or hiring process should be directed to the Professional Services Bureau at 714-647-1888.

For more information on joining the Reserves, see our How to Join page,
or call the Reserve Office: (714) 566-2711.

http://ocsd.org/index.php?option=com...=275&Itemid=94

You can PM me for more info/encouragement.
Wow! Awesome info! I sent you a PM for that info/encouragement. Not sure if I am ready that fast, as that is THIS Saturday! I need some prep time and info on what to prep for! Wow...I am excited and afraid at the same time

I wonder if they allow spectators for the physical part of the test, so I could see what I need to do before I just jump in feet first?

I like to have a plan, prepare, then execute said plan to the best of my ability! That way I know I will pass the first time around, I DO NOT like to fail

I also was accepted into the Tustin Citizen Police Academy to be a Tustin PD Volunteer, no physical tests that I know of, just a basic back ground check to get in to the classes/training. I am excited about this also. Classes start August 5th, once per week for 12 weeks from 1830 to 2130, then graduation the 13th week. I know it's not a REAL LEO position, but its something for now to give me a very small taste and to work as a Volunteer to give a little back to my community. I will be required to volunteer at minimum 12 hours per month.
Camp Pendelton, CA

Last edited by ledman; 06-15-2010 at 8:01 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

Here are the Physical requirements, just to pass the test to get in. If anyone can elaborate on anything here, or that is not here, please let me know, thanks!( I do not think pulling the trigger of a pistol with each hand will be a problem!)

Physical Abilities Test

The P.A.T. consists of five events which are timed and scored. A perfect score is 1,000 points, the minimum to pass is 700 points. (Bring clothing for the physical agility test.)

Obstacle Course: 3 foot high saw horse, Wooden Barricades, balance beam, 4 foot high hurdles, window and hall simulation run, 50 yard sprint, 15 sit-ups and 15 push-ups within 5 minutes.
440 Yard Run: Run 440 yards on a flat surface
Dummy Drag: Drag a 165-pound dummy 15 feet on the ground
Trigger Pull (pass/fail): Pull a trigger of a semi-automatic weapon six times with each hand

At the time of the test, a test monitor will describe the test more fully and answer any questions you might have. This is a physically strenuous test designed to simulate the actual physical demands placed on Deputy Sheriffs. If you are not in top physical condition, it is advised that you begin NOW to improve areas where you may need work.
Camp Pendelton, CA

Old 06-15-2010, 8:59 PM
Administrator

We didn't do the 440 back in 1974 and the dummy drag was part of the obstacle course. That course hasn't really changed with the exception of the pull ups being deleted. We also didn't do the trigger test. I am really surprised the obstacle course is basically the same after all of this time; that is if it is still run in that sand. It is an excellent test of your stamina, that is for sure.
Old 06-16-2010, 8:24 AM

Ledman, just go do it. If you go on Sat and just watch, you will be kicking yourself that your not doing. I would say the most difficult part for most is the solid wall. If you can hop a 6 foot wall, the physical portion of the test is a piece of cake. If your running miles, 440 yards is going to be easy. If you graduated HS without any issue, the written will be easy. There is really no need to "plan" for this one. Just tell your wife you appreciate her support and that your going to be busy Sat morning for a few hours.

If you want to go check out the course you can. It is located at 15991 Armstrong Ave.
Tustin, CA 92782, on the old Tustin Air Station. You might want to give them a call to find out if you are clear to be on it. I see your in Tustin so it wouldn't take much for you to go eyeball it. Hop the wall, do the balance beam etc.

Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and you have the support of your family. That is most important. Being a Reserve can be an issue with some wives since you would be away from your family, not earning money for the hours you work and potentially putting your *** on the line. I would recommend becoming a level II Reserve at a minimum so you can actually go hands on and arrest people. If you have the time and desire, go all the way to Level 1 and get your POST cert and work a radio car solo. That is a big commitment and my hats off to anyone who peruses it.

But really, if you go down and take the test on Sat, your not committed to anything. If all goes well and you want to start the process, you can. If you come close to passing and you don't make it, you will know what to do on the next round.

You can sit around and daydream about doing this or you can just go and do it. Just remember that you should only join because you have a desire to be a team player, your OK being a member of an organization that has a "Chain of Command" and if your told to do something, you do it and that being a Reserve means your LEO when you work and only when you work.

I wish you luck in reaching your goal. I will PM you back with my contact info if you have any additional questions.
Old 06-16-2010, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ledman, just go do it. If you go on Sat and just watch, you will be kicking yourself that your not doing. I would say the most difficult part for most is the solid wall. If you can hop a 6 foot wall, the physical portion of the test is a piece of cake. If your running miles, 440 yards is going to be easy. If you graduated HS without any issue, the written will be easy. There is really no need to "plan" for this one. Just tell your wife you appreciate her support and that your going to be busy Sat morning for a few hours.

If you want to go check out the course you can. It is located at 15991 Armstrong Ave.
Tustin, CA 92782, on the old Tustin Air Station. You might want to give them a call to find out if you are clear to be on it. I see your in Tustin so it wouldn't take much for you to go eyeball it. Hop the wall, do the balance beam etc.

Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and you have the support of your family. That is most important. Being a Reserve can be an issue with some wives since you would be away from your family, not earning money for the hours you work and potentially putting your *** on the line. I would recommend becoming a level II Reserve at a minimum so you can actually go hands on and arrest people. If you have the time and desire, go all the way to Level 1 and get your POST cert and work a radio car solo. That is a big commitment and my hats off to anyone who peruses it.

But really, if you go down and take the test on Sat, your not committed to anything. If all goes well and you want to start the process, you can. If you come close to passing and you don't make it, you will know what to do on the next round.

You can sit around and daydream about doing this or you can just go and do it. Just remember that you should only join because you have a desire to be a team player, your OK being a member of an organization that has a "Chain of Command" and if your told to do something, you do it and that being a Reserve means your LEO when you work and only when you work.

I wish you luck in reaching your goal. I will PM you back with my contact info if you have any additional questions.
OK, I am going to take your advice,and my wife's, and just go do it. If I do not make it, like you said, I will know what I need to do and what to work on. I am not sure if I will have time to go check out the course first, as I have to work the next few days. I only live about 4 miles or so from the testing site.

As far as a chain of command goes, and taking orders, well, being a former Marine, that is not a problem for me.

So, as a Reserve officer, you do not get paid at the lowest level? I would want to be at least a level 2 so I would have arresting powers and make some money in the process, but in the end, it's not about the money for me, really. But, it would be nice

I will honestly let you know how I do, pass or fail.
Camp Pendelton, CA

Last edited by ledman; 06-16-2010 at 7:32 PM..
Old 06-16-2010, 9:00 PM

Ledman, glad to hear your encouraged with your pursuit of this career change. I'm in the same boat also being 43 and undaunted by the current job prospects. Unfortunately, our SO has discontinued reserve patrol so I've been seeking dispatch work with the local PD and getting my cert for that before POST. Maybe this could be another avenue for you, as well. A bit envious of Tustin Reserve Day up there, though - good luck and go impress the hell out of them!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 PM

If you want to get paid, apply with LASO. I hear they make $1.00 a year. You won't make money with most departments including OCSD. Those that do pay are usually looking for level 1 reserves.

You will do just fine on Sat. Wake up hungry that morning and get after it.
Old 06-17-2010, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you want to get paid, apply with LASO. I hear they make $1.00 a year. You won't make money with most departments including OCSD. Those that do pay are usually looking for level 1 reserves.

You will do just fine on Sat. Wake up hungry that morning and get after it.
lol a $1.00 per year, sweet! At this point, the money is not my motivation to do this. It is a passion for me personally, to want to be involved in LE, I have been wanting to do this for a long time, and now the excuses are over, it's time to DO! If I can work my way up from an unpaid reserve to a level 2, I will do it. And if I do well, and I can get FT one day, well, I would do that to!

I drove over to the OCSA this evening, what a nice building! It's all brand new, and I saw the obstacle course, but did not go on it as they had signs posted not to enter with out authorization. Also, there were a group of officers/cadets arriving, looking like they were going to to some kind of drill practice, so I did not want to interfere with anything.

There are 2 ropes hanging from a tower...are these to climb up or just to swing on? As I suck at climbing ropes, HS all over again, lol. Not sure if that is part of our test, as there were other things there like the monkey bars that ascend and descend, maybe these are just not mentioned? I will find out soon enough!
Camp Pendelton, CA

Old 06-17-2010, 9:38 PM

Riverside County is hiring, you are not old, we need mature level headed people.

We still have 3% at 50 retirement meaning, every year you work, you get 3% of your pay. Example, 20 years of service 20X3%=60% 30 years, 30X3%=90% at 50 years old. We do not pay into Social security, you can live at the academy in the dorms if you are out of county.

Paid Retirement after three years
Paid medical
Paid vacation
Paid Sick leave
Time and a half on holidays except on Cesar Chavez
Uniform Allowance

Example of Specialty Units include:
SEB Special investigations Bureau/EST Emergency Services Team (SWAT)
POP Teams Problem oriented Policing
Corrections
Aviation
Lake patrols (Boats and PWCs)
Off Road Enforcement (Quads)
School Resource Officers
Traffic Enforcement (Motors)
Court Room Security

Academy is 26 weeks at Ben Clark Training Center located in Riverside County

Correction Deputy (CD)is also hiring, 8 week academy only same paid benefits as above with 3% @ 50 retirement but limited to the county jails and any specialty areas within the facility

Pay for CD II after about 6 years is $31.00 hourly
CDI
CDII
CD II Senior
CD Cpl
CD Cpl Senior
Sgt
Lt
Capt

If a maxed out CD II makes $31.00, do the math on the higher ranks.

You can PM me if need a link or wish to speak in private.
Animal protection groups don't get nearly as excited.
Some people actually LIKE rats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Yall need us around to teach ya English. The immigrant Asians use proper grammar better than most Americans today. Now I'm by far any good at math.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
I love Dicks!

Last edited by Midnightblue 72; 06-17-2010 at 9:46 PM..
Old 06-18-2010, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightblue 72 View Post
Riverside County is hiring, you are not old, we need mature level headed people.

We still have 3% at 50 retirement meaning, every year you work, you get 3% of your pay. Example, 20 years of service 20X3%=60% 30 years, 30X3%=90% at 50 years old. We do not pay into Social security, you can live at the academy in the dorms if you are out of county.

Paid Retirement after three years
Paid medical
Paid vacation
Paid Sick leave
Time and a half on holidays except on Cesar Chavez
Uniform Allowance

Example of Specialty Units include:
SEB Special investigations Bureau/EST Emergency Services Team (SWAT)
POP Teams Problem oriented Policing
Corrections
Aviation
Lake patrols (Boats and PWCs)
Off Road Enforcement (Quads)
School Resource Officers
Traffic Enforcement (Motors)
Court Room Security

Academy is 26 weeks at Ben Clark Training Center located in Riverside County

Correction Deputy (CD)is also hiring, 8 week academy only same paid benefits as above with 3% @ 50 retirement but limited to the county jails and any specialty areas within the facility

Pay for CD II after about 6 years is $31.00 hourly
CDI
CDII
CD II Senior
CD Cpl
CD Cpl Senior
Sgt
Lt
Capt

If a maxed out CD II makes $31.00, do the math on the higher ranks.

You can PM me if need a link or wish to speak in private.
Thank you Midnightblue, great info! I would like more info on this, PM inbound.
Camp Pendelton, CA

Old 06-18-2010, 8:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You're never too old. i say go for it.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Well...I passed the written test easily, BUT, there are some things in my past(background) I need to work on, such as my credit mainly. They would not tell me specifically, as they said they are not allowed, so that is my guess. After the written test and filling out the background paperwork, you go in a speak with 2 Deputies, that ask you additional info on your background based on what you have written down. Nice guys, no pressure from them, and they told me they appreciated all my honesty.

So I never got the chance to get to do the physical test.

Nothing bad really, and not a bad thing at all. I know what I need to work on to get on the right track. They suggested I waive my application for now, this way if I move on and get disqualified, I would not have to put that on my application the next time I go in and that would not look favorable.

They also suggested to self sponsor myself to go to Santa Ana College to take the academy classes and that would be a big positive for me also for my application.

BTW, there was one guy there who was 61! He looked great for his age too!
Lots of guy my age there to, so I didn't feel so bad once I got there. A total of 31 applicants showed up today. About 5 of us signed the waiver to not continue at this point.
Thanks for all the information and support!! I really do appreciate it!
Semper Fi!
Camp Pendelton, CA

Last edited by ledman; 06-19-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Old 06-19-2010, 1:11 PM
Administrator

Well, that is as bummer, but at least you have ways to correct the problem and continue with your aspirations. It was nice the deputies gave you some helpful advice. Good luck.

ETA: I forgot to mention we had a guy in our class from a police agency who was 52. He had been a reserve for years and they wanted him to go regular. He ended up being recycled to the next class because he failed to make the score on one of the PT tests they give during the academy. He had no problem in the next class and graduated. He was a big guy (weight wise). I heard once he was in a foot pursuit of some suspect who hopped a wooden fence. He knew he couldn't do that, so he just ran into the fence, knocking the whole thing down and catching the suspect. lol

Last edited by retired; 06-19-2010 at 9:31 PM..
Old 06-19-2010, 5:25 PM

If my memory serve me right, there was a former military became San Francisco Police officer at his 50 plus in 2009 or 2008. You can find that article in Chronicle.

I passed all the cop exams except my hearing exam when I was 47. The physical exam is not hard. I have never been in any service but I still can pass the exam. Just go and try the SF police. (starting $70,000)