Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Here is the problem with Lying to LEO's. Most LEO's are very good at detecting when people are lying to them. Even small lies. In fact there are training seminars which teach LEO's to detect lying or untruthful behavior. Check out the links below. To a company (BATI) which teach on just this subject.

http://www.liedetection.com/

http://www.liedetection.com/Basic.htm

So if a LEO detects "lying" or "untruthful" statements. He will believe that you do in fact have something to hide. And in fact MAY be trying to hide criminal behavior.

Although this type of lie in and of it's self not a crime. It is certainly probable cause to believe you may be trying to hide criminal behavior.

For the LEO's here I would strongly suggest trying to attend the basic interview and interrogation class BATI provides. It's POST certified and of huge benefit to you in your every day LEO career.

The quality of your investigations and interview skills will be greatly enhanced.

I attended many of the seminars provided by BATI. They were the best courses I attended during my career bar none.
Probable Cause?

Reasonable Suspicion maybe, but not Probable Cause.
Old 04-13-2010, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarbo001 View Post
Well, perhaps. But that was never my intention. It was a honest question. Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of "COPS", where a significant number of officers ask the question as part of more or less routine traffic stops.
No.....you've just been getting too much 'advice' from 'CalGuns'.........!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun7 View Post
This may become another thread that will turn to LEO bashing one. It never failed.
It's like an epidemic right now !!! It's funny as hell......but getting old having to fight the same FUD over and over and over and over...........!!!!

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2003
Old 04-13-2010, 2:05 PM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<snip>

Last edited by geeknow; 04-14-2010 at 9:08 AM.. Reason: oops, wrong forum
Old 04-13-2010, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
Probable Cause?

Reasonable Suspicion maybe, but not Probable Cause.
Sure, I can go with that. Put in a much better way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 04-13-2010, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
I dunno, someone who looks like they are in high school or just above it driving a $70,000 car just screams drug dealer or someone of nefarious means..
I dunno... screams to me that it might be a spoiled high school kid in Marin County.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-13-2010, 2:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
"Do you have any weapons in your car?"

I am a weapon

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 04-13-2010, 3:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

can you just hold up this sign
Old 04-13-2010, 3:49 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Old 04-13-2010, 4:14 PM
Calguns Addict

These hands are registered as lethal weapons. I am a black belt in Rex Kwon Do...
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 04-13-2010, 4:18 PM

My car itself is a weapon. Pretty much anything in my car is a weapon.

Of course when asked by a LEO my reply is "I do not have illegal weapons in my car Sir." And it's true, I don't have any illegal weapons in my car.
Old 04-13-2010, 4:56 PM

Follow these basic rules by Chris Rock and you will never have any problems when you get pulled over. LOL. Enjoy everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
Old 04-13-2010, 5:09 PM

For the LEO's here...a question. How many of your fellow officers have a good knowledge/understanding of firearms laws and what is/isn't legal?

I had an experience that was not bad, but not exactly pleasant, when honestly answering the "Do you have any guns or weapons in the car"? question last year. FWIW, I am pro-LEO, and my Dad instilled a strong sense of respect for authority and support of LE (he's a retired federal DEA/Treasury officer of 20+ years). I behaved as such.

I got stopped for speeding coming back from two weeks of training classes (back-to-back precision rifle and 4 day handgun classes in NV), so the car (late model MBZ) was pretty much full. Guns and ammo were properly stored in the trunk...3 handguns (one of which is an Open-configured G35 with red-dot optic and a pressed-on compensator), all in a locked case (redundant given the trunk storage), and two BB-equipped AR's.

Besides having to sit in the dirt on the side of the road for over an hour...the officers involved were professional and (mostly) courteous. No issues with the AR's (thanks CGN!). However the original officer went nuts when he found the G35, and called in for more help...it took 3 cars/officers and finally a knowledgeable Sgt. to figure out the G35 wasn't an AW configured handgun.

Apparently he thought that optics were banned on handguns and that the comp was illegal as well (it was NOT threaded on, it is a press-on and not easily removed).

Not trashing on LE, just curious....?

"Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-13-2010, 5:41 PM
Jonathan Doe

When I was on patrol assignment, I had to educate several people I worked with on assault weapon issues. Not all LEO's are familiar with all the weapons law. I do my best to educate fellow LEO's on California Dangerous Weapons Law (Ca Penal Code Section 12000 - ). Overall, I think today's LEO are a little better educated on weapons laws. Then, I examine the firearms come across my office to determine functioning, AW, silencer, full auto, etc...And, the vast majority of firearms examined are what the LEO's thought they were.
Old 04-13-2010, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

[ thread drift ]

As the "gunnie" in a small agency, I got just about all the questions. I trained as much as I could and encouraged familiarity with both weapons and the law in my peers.

Take a friend shooting applies to LEOs as well. There are plenty out there who barely understand the weapons they carry every day, let alone a featureless AR "space gun", and there is more than enough less than stellar info concerning the laws to go around.

[/ thread drift ]

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-13-2010, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00tFurst View Post
My car itself is a weapon. Pretty much anything in my car is a weapon.

Of course when asked by a LEO my reply is "I do not have illegal weapons in my car Sir." And it's true, I don't have any illegal weapons in my car.
I honestly don't understand why people want to play word-games with the cops.

If a cop asks you if you have any weapons in the car, they're looking for a yes/no answer. When you come back with an unexpected or incongruous answer, that raises their suspicions that you're up to something. You may not be, but you give them reason to think you are.

If a cop asks you "Do you have any guns in the car?" don't come at them with "I have nothing illegal in the car, officer".

You guys (and girls) that want to play word-games and semantics while at the side of the road are asking/looking for trouble. 9 times out of 10 you're going to lose that game.

Do yourself a favor and go along, to get along. Don't give cops a reason to spend any more time on you than they need to. Your own words are your own worst enemy most times.

Tell them what they want/need to hear and be on your way.

Or don't. It's your money...
Old 04-13-2010, 7:35 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't understand why people want to play word-games with the cops.

If a cop asks you if you have any weapons in the car, they're looking for a yes/no answer. When you come back with an unexpected or incongruous answer, that raises their suspicions that you're up to something. You may not be, but you give them reason to think you are.

If a cop asks you "Do you have any guns in the car?" don't come at them with "I have nothing illegal in the car, officer".

You guys (and girls) that want to play word-games and semantics while at the side of the road are asking/looking for trouble. 9 times out of 10 you're going to lose that game.

Do yourself a favor and go along, to get along. Don't give cops a reason to spend any more time on you than they need to. Your own words are your own worst enemy most times.

Tell them what they want/need to hear and be on your way.

Or don't. It's your money...
Wow. Worst advice ever.

You: "I got guns in the car Mr. Officer go ahead and check 'em." Thatwould be you bud. Not me.

If I say I have no illegal weapons in the car, I mean it. You call it wordplay but I call it being truthful.

As far as giving the cop suspicion, does my NRA sticker warrant a search? I don't think so. Can you honestly tell me that I'm playing with words when I honestly don't have illegal weapons in my car?
Old 04-13-2010, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Wow. Worst advice ever.

You: "I got guns in the car Mr. Officer go ahead and check 'em." Thatwould be you bud. Not me.

If I say I have no illegal weapons in the car, I mean it. You call it wordplay but I call it being truthful.

As far as giving the cop suspicion, does my NRA sticker warrant a search? I don't think so. Can you honestly tell me that I'm playing with words when I honestly don't have illegal weapons in my car?

Don't put words in my mouth, BUD.

That's not what I said.
Old 04-13-2010, 7:40 PM

There is a reason that after a HD incident that it is better to keep your mouth shut and let the lawyer do the talking. DO NOT GIVE OUT INFO THAT YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO.

Most people get arrested by volunteering info when they absolutely did not have to. Why put yourself into that position?
Old 04-13-2010, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Wow. Worst advice ever.

Wordplay.............the game for people with something to hide.

Me: Do you have any guns in your car?

You: I have no illegal weapons in the car.

That's not what I asked, and when you dodge the question, it naturally makes me think you have something to hide.

You do what you want, just know that response will raise suspicions. And if you become sarcastic or a smart *** , don't be surprised if I don't cut you any slack for the original reason I stopped you. That can be expensive nowdays. But again, it's your call.

I prefer that you just said, "I'd prefer not to answer that question" than dodge it. At least that answer has testicular fortitude.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 04-13-2010, 7:43 PM

Alright, I'm being too harsh. I take back what I say. But honestly, you cannot tell people to give up their rights and play into the sheeple mentality.

You got rights. Use 'em or lose 'em.
Old 04-13-2010, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Wordplay.............the game for people with something to hide.

Me: Do you have any guns in your car?

You: I have no illegal weapons in the car.

That's not what I asked, and when you dodge the question, it naturally makes me think you have something to hide.

You do what you want, just know that response will raise suspicions. And if you become sarcastic or a smart *** , don't be surprised if I don't cut you any slack for the original reason I stopped you. That can be expensive nowdays. But agaqin, it's your call.

I prefer that you just said, "I'd prefer not to answer that question" than dodge it. At least that answer has testicular fortitude.
Read back my earlier posts. I'm drinking as we speak but I'm sure the question I raised was "illegal weapons" and not "guns."
Old 04-13-2010, 7:49 PM

O.K. So having considered all of the responses to my original question, if ever asked The Question, I'm going to say "no".
Old 04-13-2010, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Alright, I'm being too harsh. I take back what I say. But honestly, you cannot tell people to give up their rights and play into the sheeple mentality.

You got rights. Use 'em or lose 'em.
Reading comprehension much?

Neither I nor Ron-Solo said any such thing.
Old 04-13-2010, 7:58 PM

Quote:
O.K. So having considered all of the responses to my original question, if ever asked The Question, I'm going to say "no".
Finally, someone gets it...
Old 04-13-2010, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Finally, someone gets it...
Whoops. Sorry bud. Just the beer talking, no hard feelings.

I assumed that you were telling the OP to volunteer info and say yes officer, I have guns. Want to check? Go right ahead.

Anyways, if you're asked if you have illegal weapons, I would still answer with no sir, I don't have illegal weapons... it's true... in my case anyways.
Old 04-13-2010, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Whoops. Sorry bud. Just the beer talking, no hard feelings.

I assumed that you were telling the OP to volunteer info and say yes officer, I have guns. Want to check? Go right ahead.

Anyways, if you're asked if you have illegal weapons, I would still answer with no sir, I don't have illegal weapons... it's true... in my case anyways.
You really should lay off the sauce and read.
Old 04-13-2010, 8:23 PM

Quote:
You really should lay off the sauce and read.
Read this thread, you'd understand...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=290336

Just drinking and having fun. No foul done.
Old 04-13-2010, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Read this thread, you'd understand...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=290336

Just drinking and having fun. No foul done.
That's fine. Maybe your drinking was impeding your ability to comprehend what others had written.

Or maybe you do that without drinking.

Not for me to say. Just asking the rhetorical question...
Old 04-13-2010, 8:28 PM

Quote:
That's fine. Maybe your drinking was impeding your ability to comprehend what others had written.

Or maybe you do that without drinking.

Not for me to say. Just asking the rhetorical question...
You're funny and I could care less. Have a good life.
Old 04-13-2010, 8:35 PM

Quote:
You're funny and I could care less. Have a good life.
I will.
Old 04-13-2010, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
"Sorry officer, I ws only going as fast as the guy in front of me, and I wan't tailgaiting I was drafting, and I was on the cell phone because I was ordering a new windshield to replace this one, and my radio was loud because of the wind since I had to have my tinted windows rolled down, everything I own is in the back seat because I lost the trunk key, my friend who took a class of law in high school told me that he put a warrant on me for practice only so you can ignore it, that wasn't a lit cigarette out the window it was my medicinal crack cocaine, I mean marijuana, and I'm not confrontational I know I am right because of the Constitution, and I'm sure I can use this International Driver's License for ID, so can I go now?"
Sure you can go, just after you sign in the red box. Please press hard, you're making three copies...

Last edited by haodoken; 04-13-2010 at 8:46 PM..
Old 04-14-2010, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo View Post
Officer-"Sir, do you have any weapons in the car?"
You-"No Sir."

That would be the quickest and easiest answer to give. It is not illegal to lie to a police officer! If he cannot see any weapons in the car (or things that would lead him to believe there are) and you don't tell him there are weapons in there, he has no right to know about them.
It is a crime to lie to feds though: 18 USC 1001
Old 04-14-2010, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
Wish we had more Watch Commanders like Ron Solo in all the departments in this state.

Uh, I think, from a watch commander's perspective, that there's not any I know of that would want officers misusing 31 CVC. Makes a lot of work and explaining for us when the turd rolls down hill.
Old 04-14-2010, 7:34 PM

Never been asked that question and I get stopped once every couple years or so .
Had a situation while bicycling across the country last summer. A drunk moron in the next campsite (out of state) decided I must be a thief/bum because I was riding a bicycle and he called the police. Pot calling the kettle black for that dirtbag.
Two cars showed up. I chatted with them for a while and one of them shined his light on my picnic table of stuff, hesitating at my Mike's Fanny Pack. I just walked away and he followed me. End of situation.
Anyway, I might have to think about how I answer that question before I get asked it. I just don't get into trouble. Much.
Old 04-17-2010, 6:23 PM

Most of the time, cops do not ask if you have any weapons with you, but if they do just say no. If they were to search your car, do not be afraid because long as your gun is legit and unloaded. I am sure, you wont get trouble for it.

1st Battalion 5th Marines Charlie Company
Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 AM

One time I was pulled over on my way home from picking up two rifles. Upon making initial contact with the LEO, I informed him that I had two legal rifles properly stored and locked. He asked me if I had the paper work for them with me. I told him I did and asked if he would like to see them. He said no, ran my DL and let me go with his "free pass for the day." Really nice guy, I seem to always have positive encounters with LEO, I don't know why so many people complain about them.
Old 04-18-2010, 8:27 PM

In my experience being honest and upfront with the police officer and everything will be okay. Saying things like "I don't have any illegal guns in the car." or just sitting there silent, will make the cop very curious. THINK ABOUT IT, cops arent robots, they are humans, if you asked someone if they had and weapons in their car and they said "I don't have any illegal guns in the car." would you not go WTF?!?

That LEO is going to break out the surefire, and look in every single nook and cranny that he can see from outside the vehicle. He will then probably ask you many more questions to establish probable cause to conduct a search.

He can't establish probable cause, you can rest assured that that front license plate missing, is getting a ticket, that seat belt that wasnt fastened, CITATION, that cell phone you were talking on? CITATION! That tail light out, CITATION! (ect...) you get the idea.

Be nice to the police, they have a hard job to do, if you aren't breaking any laws, you don't have anything to be afraid of. Most important part of the equation, KNOW THE GUN LAWS!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 AM

WOW! I've just finished reading every reply on this thread. I just don't get the 'lie to the cops' mentality here.

1. Are you legal? If so why lie or talk in circles?

2. If you aren't legal I understand the lie, but you're just getting in deeper.

A lot has been said about obeying the law when carrying weapons in your car. Good idea. But, WTF is wrong with just obeying the law all the time?

I carry guns and ammo in my truck at least 8 or 10 times a month. I have a CCW permit. I don't carry all the time, but I act like I do. In fact, I left the house this morning wearing one of my 'carry shirts' and my wife asked if I was carrying. I said no, it's just a bit chilly this morning.

The point is our LEO's have a tough job. Why complicate it? If I'm asked if I have any weapons in my car I either say yes I do (if I do) or no I don't (if I don't). I let them know if I am carrying, along with where and what it is. I just don't seem to run into trouble with the LEO's I encounter. And, I'm not looking for trouble from them either.

I once answered yes to the am I carrying any weapons questions. After explaining I did, what they were and where they were located we spent about 15mins talking about different guns. I was speeding and did not see the sign. He gave me a warning and I started paying more attention.

Give these guys and gals a break. 99.9 percent of them are outstanding officers. What are the chances of running into that .1 percent? And if you are legal what are they going to do?

Last edited by Desert Dude; 04-19-2010 at 1:51 PM..
Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I do not ask people that I stop if they have weapons......I decide WHEN and WHO to ask that question. Based on many factors and details of the encounter.
Old 04-20-2010, 6:37 AM

I agree with ap3572001........not going to be asking "soccer mom" so to speak, let the totality of the circumstances dictate my course of action
Closed Thread