Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Default "Do you have any weapons in your car?"

I've never been asked this question by a LEO, but I'm not sure what to say when and if it happens. I'd be curious to hear what LEOs think about the following fictional set of circumstances.

I'm driving along Highway 101, on my way to the shooting range. I have a newer German car in great shape, and I'm a middle-aged white guy who looks pretty harmless (at least I think I look pretty harmless). I'm not weaving, driving eratically or doing anything - - other than driving a bit faster than the posted speed limit. Uh oh, a police car is right behind me with its lights on.... Yep, I was speeding and now I'm busted. So I pull to the side of the road and the officer approaches my car. I give him all the required papers and then he asks: "do you have any weapons in the car"? Well, sure - - I'm on my way to the range. The trunk is full of weapons; two rifles, three pistols, ammo, targets. All of the guns are unloaded. But frankly, I'd prefer not to have the PD rooting around in my trunk.

My inclination is not to go off about "probable cause", "unlawful search and seizure" and all the other rants that are just going to make things worse. Can I simply say: "officer, I have nothing illegal in this car"? Is that an appropriate answer? What happens next? Advice? Dos. Don'ts?

Last edited by gbarbo001; 04-12-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 AM

You respond "I do not have any illegal weapons in the car".

If he asks you again if you have weapons in your car, you repeat "I do not have any illegal weapons in the car sir". If he ask to search you car, you say "Sorry, I respectfully decline your request to search my vechicle".

Make sure you don't give him an attitude. Try to be respectful, but do not authorize any search or give him any more informaiton than he needs.

If the officer searches you car and thinks he found something illegal, don't try to reason with him. Shut your mouth and ask him if you are under arrest. If you are, you reserve the right to remain silent. You only have to tell him identification questions like your name and birthdate.

I'm sure there are many more knowledgable members than I am on this subject.

I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, but this is what have been taught to say by others.

Last edited by vsy05; 04-13-2010 at 12:19 AM..
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

I don't ask the question because I don't care if you have legal guns, and if you have illegal guns you wouldn't tell me anyway.

I DO get annoyed when people start playing word games with me.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarbo001 View Post
I have a newer German car in great shape, and I'm a middle-aged white guy who looks pretty harmless
This is kinda a pet peeve of mine. (not really anything to do with your question but anyway), what does the kind of car you're driving, your age or your financial standing have to do with your ability or lack of ability to commit a crime? We have had officers shot and killed by men in suits and kids with their boxers showing.

If I don't know you personally, I will be cautious and keep my guard up regardless if you’re driving a Porsche or a Honda.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Officer-"Sir, do you have any weapons in the car?"
You-"No Sir."

That would be the quickest and easiest answer to give. It is not illegal to lie to a police officer! If he cannot see any weapons in the car (or things that would lead him to believe there are) and you don't tell him there are weapons in there, he has no right to know about them.

Now, it would probably be a nice gesture to let the officer know if you had weapons in the car, but it's not your job to be nice. No possible good can come of you allowing the law to look at/check your guns out.
Sure, the cop may be a nice guy/gal, and most of them are. But do you know 100% that every gun is being carried completely legally? What if you accidentally left one round in that magazine/cylinder? What if you forgot to lock the box holding your pistol? What if there's a small school a block away you've never seen before and one of your long guns isn't locked up?
There's a million things that can go wrong, and no possible good can come of any of them. (Okay, so you may be able to chat with the officer about guns for a minute, who cares? You're going to the range where there's a bunch of gun guys to chat with!)

You may be one of the camp that says, "I've got nothing to hide, why not let them take a look?" And to that, I refer you back up to the list of questions two paragraphs up. Just because you're a perfectly law abiding citizen doesn't mean you never make mistakes. And one of those mistakes (or something perceived as a mistake by a misinformed officer) could land you in prison.

This all said, the question about weapons is not usually one that an officer asks on a routine traffic stop, so the probability of having it asked is slim, but if it ever comes, it's good to know your rights, and what can come if you choose to waive them.

Remember, that officer can make all the mistakes in the book and be forgiven, you only have to make one to ruin the rest of your life.

Check me out on YouTube! Shooting, Engineering, and Dogs. What's not to love?
Old 04-13-2010, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
I don't ask the question because I don't care if you have legal guns, and if you have illegal guns you wouldn't tell me anyway.
^^This ^^... don't know how many times I can say it, I never once in all my years gave a crap about a firearm being carried or transported lawfully. If some dude is carrying unlawfully we're likely going to find out anyway and it's a different hand of cards.

Quote:
I DO get annoyed when people start playing word games with me.
^^ This ^^... fastest way to turn the simplest situation into an expensive PITA for the person involved. My opinion, of course.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-13-2010, 6:33 AM
Jonathan Doe

This may become another thread that will turn to LEO bashing one. It never failed.
Old 04-13-2010, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun7 View Post
This may become another thread that will turn to LEO bashing one. It never failed.
Well, perhaps. But that was never my intention. It was a honest question. Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of "COPS", where a significant number of officers ask the question as part of more or less routine traffic stops.
Old 04-13-2010, 6:44 AM

Quote:
This is kinda a pet peeve of mine. (not really anything to do with your question but anyway), what does the kind of car you're driving, your age or your financial standing have to do with your ability or lack of ability to commit a crime? We have had officers shot and killed by men in suits and kids with their boxers showing.

If I don't know you personally, I will be cautious and keep my guard up regardless if youíre driving a Porsche or a Honda.
True enough, but I bet a close review of national stats would reveal that a low percentage of cop killers are middle-aged white guys in late model MBZs.

But I don't blame you for your cautious attitude. I want you and your fellow officers to go home safe each night to your families.
Old 04-13-2010, 6:50 AM
Calguns Addict

So what happens when you say "no sir" and then later, somehow, the officer gets in your trunk and sees you lied? I can imagine they would be super pissed.
It seems like illegal ccw, you just take the chance that you wont get caught. I know in my situation i've never been asked about weapons by police. Not in a traffic stop anyway.
From my experiance the LAPD has way better things to do.

Last edited by SanPedroShooter; 04-13-2010 at 6:59 AM..
Old 04-13-2010, 7:27 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent* View Post
So what happens when you say "no sir" and then later, somehow, the officer gets in your trunk and sees you lied? I can imagine they would be super pissed.
It seems like illegal ccw, you just take the chance that you wont get caught. I know in my situation i've never been asked about weapons by police. Not in a traffic stop anyway.
I have replied" I have no weapons in the passenger compartment"
what I have in the trunk, I carry legally, as it is a locked container
I have been told that "if you have a gun tell us, We don't like surprises"

Last edited by thomashoward; 04-13-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Old 04-13-2010, 7:40 AM

Default Right to inspect

If the LEO asks you do you have any firearms, and you say yes, or he sees the firearms/shooting equipment. The LEO can inspect the weapons to insure that California Penal Code Section 12026.1 is being complied with. In other words, that they are unloaded and being transported legally: ie pistol unloaded in a locked case. This is not an unlawful search and seizure under the California penal code/ and California Constitution.
Old 04-13-2010, 7:44 AM
Calguns Addict

I think some people would rather tell a quick lie then try to play with semantics. You either have weapons in your car or not, right?
I am aware of 12026 and "e checks (same thing?) it seems like something you definitly want to avoid.
Old 04-13-2010, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

And from my experience telling quick lies is what often starts the ball rolling into getting ones chestnuts racked pretty thoroughly. I'd wager there are most all the LEOs who post here, and especially the long service guys, could cite instances in their careers where one stupid little lie on the part of a person stopped eventually turned into a good felony pinch.

Guys who ask the weapons question on every single stop are fishing, IMO, and if it works for them, I am happy for them. The way I worked was... if I started asking about dope or weapons in the car it was because the person / people I had in front of me was already making me twitch, or I had on viewed something else that was going to get me in the car anyway.

Asking those questions on my part was giving the person the opportunity to either play it straight or to lie their way into something deeper.

But that's just me... I always was a hoe with a heart of gold.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-13-2010, 8:20 AM

Here's a clue: stop speeding when you go to the range and you won't have to worry about this problem.
Old 04-13-2010, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo View Post
Officer-"Sir, do you have any weapons in the car?"
You-"No Sir."

That would be the quickest and easiest answer to give. It is not illegal to lie to a police officer!
UH yes it is 148pc...WOW the advice people give on here is just pain scary. That is about the most MORONIC STATEMENT I have heard in my life..Just tell the truth and let them check, and be on with your day. If you are legal, you have nothing to worry, if your not then maybe you shouldn't be a gun owner..You start to lie and your in for a long day...

Last edited by Escalado; 04-13-2010 at 8:44 AM..
Old 04-13-2010, 8:42 AM

I think the answers you get on this particular forum aren't going to be reflective of an actual encounter with an LEO bent on searching your car for weapons. What I mean by that is the majority of the LEOs posting in here are pro gun, and don't see firearms as the problem. I don't ask the question very often for a host of reasons. When I do ask the question, I don't expect a truthful answer. I have other reasons for asking questions and watching and listening to the person formulate an answer. I can assure you with nearly 100% certainty that if you were stopped by me in my district that I would not ask if you were carrying any weapons.

As far as lying to me, I don't take it personally. If the lie raises to a level of obstruction I may take some professional action. I don't encourage anyone lying to us, but it happens on a frequent basis.

If your firearms are properly transported, and hidden from view, they should not become an issue during a traffic stop with me, and most of my partners. If you are a probationer, parolee, prohibited person or getting arrested, your guns may become an issue.

Like the previous LEO posters have said, don't play word games. If I ask a question and get an "unexpected" answer I may dig a little deeper. If I ask if you have weapons, I am anticipating a yes or no answer. If I hear "I don't have anything illegal", I may ask a few more follow up questions. Again, this is all hypothetical because I don't usually ask.
Old 04-13-2010, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

One simple question... if asked, I assume I can remain silent, no?
Old 04-13-2010, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalado View Post
UH yes it is 148pc...WOW the advice people give on here is just pain scary. That is about the most MORONIC STATEMENT I have heard in my life..Just tell the truth and let them check, and be on with your day. If you are legal, you have nothing to worry, if your not then maybe you shouldn't be a gun owner..You start to lie and your in for a long day...
Or this one...

31 C.V.C.

No person shall give, either orally or in writing, information
to a peace officer while in the performance of his duties under the
provisions of this code when such person knows that the information
is false.

Its a misdemeanor. Like Alex said though it happens all the time and not worth getting bent outta shape about, (usally). I posted this just for those armchair lawyers who keep claiming its not illegal to lie to a peace officer.

Last edited by IrishJoe3; 04-13-2010 at 10:03 AM..
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Do you mean this code?
Quote:
148. (a) (1) Every person who willfully resists, delays, or obstructs any public officer, peace officer, or an emergency medical technician, as defined in Division 2.5 (commencing with Section 1797) of the Health and Safety Code, in the discharge or attempt to discharge any duty of his or her office or employment, when no other punishment is prescribed, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
Is lying "willfully resisting"? No.
Is lying "Delaying the officer"? I would say that it's the opposite of delaying him. If you were to say "yes, there's weapons in my car" or say nothing, you could possibly be in for at the very least an "e" check, which will take more time out of both your schedules.
Is lying "obstructing" an officer? No. It is not an officer's duty to search cars for weapons where no probable cause exists that would warrant a search for weapons. Therefore you are not "obstructing" his duty by lying.

Quote:
If you are legal, you have nothing to worry
I refer you to the questions I asked the OP in my first post.
"Sure, the cop may be a nice guy/gal, and most of them are. But do you know 100% that every gun is being carried completely legally? What if you accidentally left one round in that magazine/cylinder? What if you forgot to lock the box holding your pistol? What if there's a small school a block away you've never seen before and one of your long guns isn't locked up?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent*
I would imagine anyone would be mad if they were lied to. But that doesn't mean you broke the law. In fact, if you told the officer that you don't have any weapons, and that you don't consent to any warrantless searches, he may have broken the law by getting into your trunk and you have a case against someone that violated your 4th amendment rights.
It can't seem like illegal ccw if all your weapons are legally carried.

Remember, what I suggested in my first post was the quickest and easiest answer to a question that could possibly not end well otherwise. You don't have to heed my advice, you can do whatever you like. I don't care.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
One simple question... if asked, I assume I can remain silent, no?
Yes you can. You don't have to lie or tell the truth. You can sit there and pretend you don't hear anything if you like. Perfectly legal.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
CGSSA Specialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo View Post
Yes you can. You don't have to lie or tell the truth. You can sit there and pretend you don't hear anything if you like. Perfectly legal.
Let me know how that works out for ya ... O K

Tumbled BRASS For Sale

Just check my Long Running Thread : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=262832
Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Here is the problem with Lying to LEO's. Most LEO's are very good at detecting when people are lying to them. Even small lies. In fact there are training seminars which teach LEO's to detect lying or untruthful behavior. Check out the links below. To a company (BATI) which teach on just this subject.

http://www.liedetection.com/

http://www.liedetection.com/Basic.htm

So if a LEO detects "lying" or "untruthful" statements. He will believe that you do in fact have something to hide. And in fact MAY be trying to hide criminal behavior.

Although this type of lie in and of it's self not a crime. It is certainly probable cause to believe you may be trying to hide criminal behavior.

For the LEO's here I would strongly suggest trying to attend the basic interview and interrogation class BATI provides. It's POST certified and of huge benefit to you in your every day LEO career.

The quality of your investigations and interview skills will be greatly enhanced.

I attended many of the seminars provided by BATI. They were the best courses I attended during my career bar none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
. The way I worked was... if I started asking about dope or weapons in the car it was because the person / people I had in front of me was already making me twitch, or I had on viewed something else that was going to get me in the car anyway.

Asking those questions on my part was giving the person the opportunity to either play it straight or to lie their way into something deeper.

But that's just me... I always was a hoe with a heart of gold.
^^^ Exactly this. When I ask this kind of question, (typically about drugs or such) I don't care what the response is because I know people lie. I'm looking at the body language. Like it or not you communicate a lot of information without saying a word whether you mean to or not and whether you know it or not. We pick up on that very easy. If someone has a kilo under their seat they donít want me to know about, they can have the smoothest story in the world but I can tell they are hiding something through a whole ton of non verbal cues. I typically will wait till the end of the stop when they start to breathe easier thinking they are going to get away with it then Iíll ďpop the questionĒ and watch the reaction. As I said of course they will deny it but their body language will clearly tell me otherwise. And like Big Dog said, by the time I ask that question I typically have enough to get in the car anyway, Iím just looking to confirm it.

So, like I said I donít care if you have legal firearms. If you lie about them to me I will be able to tell. From my end I donít know why you are lying; you could be just going to the range with your glock 40 or you could be transporting for the mafia. So I will ask questions until I am confident that everything is on the level.

I have pulled over people who through their own lack of knowledge of the law and no intentional act have been in violation of the law and have unknowingly set themselves up to get into hot water. If they are level with me, receptive to my guidance etc I will explain to them the nuts and bolts of the law and explain where and why they are in violation and told them to fix it or they will get themselves into trouble. Typically they are clueless, grateful for the clarification and fix the problem. Win win in my opinion. However if the person starts playing games, (from just a few of the suggestions on the board; remain silent, lie, play with words, only roll the window down a crack, etc etc) then forget it. Iíll arrest the violator and let them explain to the judge why they screwed up. Its clear to me they will not listen to constructive criticism and I would be just wasting my time if I try.

Drive safeÖ.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

I pray no one ever wants to find out if there is one in my car.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

How about this. Officer asks "do you have any weapons in your car".

You reply. Oh yeah I'm on the way to (insert location) Do you collect firearms? I do. In fact I would LOVE to show them to you. In fact I have some questions about what you carry and im real interested in knowing your perspective.

They are all legally stored in the trunk. Can I show you? As I said I would like to talk with you and pick your brain about each one......What do you carry. Oh I see it's a GLOCK. I prefer the SIG or the H&K.

But the GLOCK's are nice too.

What type of ammo do you use??

Do you hunt or target shoot?

Oh yeah there is this neat web site called CALGUNS.net Do you belong?

By this time the officers eyes have probably rolled back into his head and unless he 's a "gun guy" will probably just tell you to have a nice day and send you on your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

LOL!

Here's mine for my local PD:

"Oh that's too bad they make you carry a Glock, ugh, you didn't choose that right? Here you want to see some REAL pistols that I am legally transporting in my trunk?

Oh BTW, I couldn't help but notice your department has issued your units an AR, I notice that your magazines are only 20 round mags, wtf is up with that? Get some 30 rounders in there! You know the bad guys aren't going to limit their round counts right? Eeeewww looks at the carry handle, ugh, they won't spring for some decent optics for you guys huh?"

Yeah I can just imagine how Sunnyvale PD would react

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
How about this. Officer asks "do you have any weapons in your car".

You reply. Oh yeah I'm on the way to (insert location) Do you collect firearms? I do. In fact I would LOVE to show them to you. In fact I have some questions about what you carry and im real interested in knowing your perspective.

They are all legally stored in the trunk. Can I show you? As I said I would like to talk with you and pick your brain about each one......What do you carry. Oh I see it's a GLOCK. I prefer the SIG or the H&K.

But the GLOCK's are nice too.

What type of ammo do you use??

Do you hunt or target shoot?

By this time the officers eyes have probably rolled back into his head and unless he 's a "gun guy" will probably just tell you to have a nice day and send you on your way.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
LOL!

"Oh that's too bad they make you carry a Glock, ugh, you didn't choose that right? Here you want to see some REAL pistols that I am legally transporting in my trunk?

Oh BTW, I couldn't help but notice your department has issued your units an AR, I notice that your magazines are only 20 round mags, wtf is up with that? Get some 30 rounders in there! You know the bad guys aren't going to limit their round counts right? Eeeewww looks at the carry handle, ugh, they won't spring for some decent optics for you guys huh?"

Okay, that made me laugh!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It is NOT 148 PC. As a watch commander, you bring that arrest in to get approved, and I'll laugh you out of my office. Later, we'll have a personal discussion about laws and arrests. That would be after you've un-done the damage you've created.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Or this one...

31 C.V.C.

No person shall give, either orally or in writing, information
to a peace officer while in the performance of his duties under the
provisions of this code when such person knows that the information
is false.

Its a misdemeanor. Like Alex said though it happens all the time and not worth getting bent outta shape about, (usally). I posted this just for those armchair lawyers who keep claiming its not illegal to lie to a peace officer.
You're streaching a bit Joe. The provisions of "THIS CODE" refers to the Vehicle Code.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wish we had more Watch Commanders like Ron Solo in all the departments in this state.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
LOL!

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun7 View Post
What? A thread turning into cop bashing? Is that even possible!

Follow these few simple rules and you should be ok.

1) Follow the CVC. Seriously, no speeding, tailgating, cell phone use, cracked windshield, B/O tail/stoplamps, loud radio, tinted windows, lit cigarette out the window, etc. etc. (I'm not going to stop you if you do this to begin with.)

2) Put everything in the trunk and OUT OF VIEW. (Locked Containers preferred. Guns/weapons and ammo lying in the back seat is bad.)

3) Don't have warrants. (This requires you to not be a dirtbag.)

4) Have valid CA Drivers License. Sorry, ID Cards don't cut it when driving, even if you have one(a valid DL).

5) Don't have bad/confrontational attitude. (Be friendly and smile, if you hate cops...well can't fix that one.)

6) Don't be using dope while driving (to include "Medicinal" Marijuana, unless you like FSTs or peeing in cups)

Hopefully this response helps answer your questions. I've seen all of the above which has led to an arrest for various reasons.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM
CGSSA Specialist

---------------------------------------------------------------

That's TOO Funny / But True

Tumbled BRASS For Sale

Just check my Long Running Thread : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=262832
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
You're streaching a bit Joe.

I know and if it was used in this context if it even got passed my SGT (it wouldn't) the DA would have issues with it.
Old 04-13-2010, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post

Now this was lunchtime reading at it's best.... well played.

Quote:
Old 04-13-2010, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes you can. You don't have to lie or tell the truth. You can sit there and pretend you don't hear anything if you like. Perfectly legal
I figure it's kind of like when you are shooting USPSA.. if you are asked, "Are you ready" and you don't say a word, it's assumed you are ready and the buzzer will follow shortly..

If I don't say a word and he or she asks me.. If I remain silent I can't put my foot in my mouth or lie can I?
Old 04-13-2010, 1:29 PM

I'd rather not DWB in an older model car. It's not paranoia it's the way it is.

DWB -driving while black/brown

Quote:

If I don't know you personally, I will be cautious and keep my guard up regardless if youíre driving a Porsche or a Honda.
Old 04-13-2010, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

An older model car or something that the officer in question deems too flashy for a young man to have.. I dunno, someone who looks like they are in high school or just above it driving a $70,000 car just screams drug dealer or someone of nefarious means.. but they could simply be a software enginer that made it big..
Old 04-13-2010, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by haodoken View Post
What? A thread turning into cop bashing? Is that even possible!

Follow these few simple rules and you should be ok.

1) Follow the CVC. Seriously, no speeding, tailgating, cell phone use, cracked windshield, B/O tail/stoplamps, loud radio, tinted windows, lit cigarette out the window, etc. etc. (I'm not going to stop you if you do this to begin with.)

2) Put everything in the trunk and OUT OF VIEW. (Locked Containers preferred. Guns/weapons and ammo lying in the back seat is bad.)

4) Have valid CA Drivers License. Sorry, ID Cards don't cut it when driving, even if you have one(a valid DL).

5) Don't have bad/confrontational attitude. (Be friendly and smile, if you hate cops...well can't fix that one.)

6) Don't be using dope while driving (to include "Medicinal" Marijuana, unless you like FSTs or peeing in cups)

Hopefully this response helps answer your questions. I've seen all of the above which has led to an arrest for various reasons.

"Sorry officer, I ws only going as fast as the guy in front of me, and I wan't tailgaiting I was drafting, and I was on the cell phone because I was ordering a new windshield to replace this one, and my radio was loud because of the wind since I had to have my tinted windows rolled down, everything I own is in the back seat because I lost the trunk key, my friend who took a class of law in high school told me that he put a warrant on me for practice only so you can ignore it, that wasn't a lit cigarette out the window it was my medicinal crack cocaine, I mean marijuana, and I'm not confrontational I know I am right because of the Constitution, and I'm sure I can use this International Driver's License for ID, so can I go now?"
Closed Thread