Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Default Has anyone had bad experiences with the S&W revolver keylock?

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the S&W revolver key lock? It is just hated because its a dumb idea and it doesn't look good? Or is there more too it?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There have been reports of the lock turning on by itself, generally in the aluminum or scandium framed lightweight models when shooting heavy loads.
Most important for any gun is reliability, anything that may affect that reliability is frowned upon.
Old 02-08-2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
There have been reports of the lock turning on by itself, generally in the aluminum or scandium framed lightweight models when shooting heavy loads.
Most important for any gun is reliability, anything that may affect that reliability is frowned upon.
i've heard similar claims. I am assuming there should be no issues with a Steel frame 686-6. But since the lock is there, there is a potential for it to lock up. I guess the question is "what is the likeliness of the gun locking itself?" I am assuming that the likeliness of that event even happening is to small to worry about. But never say never right? Well what would it take to lock it? Rolling over an IED on the road to Jalalabad?

Last edited by Mrmauserjerry; 02-08-2019 at 4:25 PM..
Old 02-08-2019, 4:26 PM

Generally, those stories start off, "I have a buddy/cousin/boyfriend that has the S&W key lock and it jams all the time, so that is why I only carry Glocks."

Believe what you want on the Interweb. Or, know that S&W makes a fine firearm, lock or no lock.
Old 02-08-2019, 4:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't think it's a concern, for aesthetic reasons many prefer the pre-locks

I personally despise the hillary-hole

1A - 2A = -1A
Old 02-08-2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Generally, those stories start off, "I have a buddy/cousin/boyfriend that has the S&W key lock and it jams all the time, so that is why I only carry Glocks."

Believe what you want on the Interweb. Or, know that S&W makes a fine firearm, lock or no lock.
I agree. I just wanted to see if I could find a first hand account of this phenomena
Old 02-08-2019, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SW 629 .44 MAG MOUNTAIN GUN

When firing full .44mag loads, my lock engaged a couple of times and therefore deactivated the hammer and trigger. I carry this gun when backpacking and hiking therefore must be reliable. I removed the lock and installed a plug made by Jennings Machine and tool.
https://www.sightpushertool.com/thumbnail_20160312_224235.jpg

storageemulated0Androiddatacom.samsung.android.messagingfiles20190118_201612_1548117071646_001.jpg

storageemulated0Androiddatacom.samsung.android.messagingfiles20190120_182425_1548116780837_001.jpg
Old 02-08-2019, 5:03 PM

Never seen it happen and only read a few instances of it occurring in high power magnum loads. However, after taking the lock out of one of my guns and seeing how easily the lock turns, and how little there is to retain it in the locked position I am amazed it doesn't happen with regularity.
Old 02-08-2019, 5:21 PM

The lock turned on during recoil with my 625PC. Using standard ball ammo. Luckily I had the key with me.

As soon as I got home I disengaged the internal lock. No problems now.
Old 02-08-2019, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

A long time ago I asked the same question in a thread that I posted here.
Back then it seemed like of the people who had issues with them turning the lock into the safe position most were of the Magnum or larger caliber revolvers. ( I don't think I remember anyone with a 38 special or 22 Rimfire mentioned that it happened to them, at least in my thread.)

And I don't think Anyone likes them except maybe the lawyers at Smith & Wesson.

Last edited by sealocan; 02-08-2019 at 6:03 PM..
Old 02-08-2019, 6:29 PM

Has anyone actually used the lock for its "intended" design?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post

And I don't think Anyone likes them except maybe the lawyers at Smith & Wesson.
Actually the company that makes the lock bought Smith and Wesson. So by make all s&w revolvers with the lock they are actually ďsellingĒ the locks. Ie the price of each revolver includes like $50 for the lock or something which goes in the books as a sale of a lock.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 02-09-2019, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdood View Post
Has anyone actually used the lock for its "intended" design?
you mean to help make you a victim, a statistic

i hope not

I! hate! you! FalconLair.
Old 02-09-2019, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmauserjerry View Post
Has anyone had any bad experiences with the S&W revolver key lock? It is just hated because its a dumb idea and it doesn't look good? Or is there more too it?
I've read a few cases in the internet. But several acquaintances that owns the newer model SWs with the locks liked their guns, they even encourage me to buy one. When I mentioned about how those locks MIGHT cause problems, they just laugh it off.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Internet folklore!

Probably started by a Ruger fanboy.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM

There is nothing good about Hillary's holes!!

The production of this video leaves a lot to be desired, but it does show how to do a S&W lock delete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM
Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

I have personally had the locks malfunction on my 5" 460, my dads 4" 500, and his 340pd and stainless 60 when using magnum rounds.

Theyve had various different issues from locking after a shot so the trigger and hammer lock up in the released position, or halfway moving to the locked position and trying to catch the hammer in the cocked position. I distinctly remember a time that my dads 500 locked after the first shot, he cocked the hammer back for a second shot and it would not fire- loaded cocked and ready to go with a rock solid trigger. Grabbed the key out of my bag and sure enough, click to unlock and resume shooting. it wasnt fully locked in the hammer down condition, but just cocking it for single action let the lock slip into place enough to brick the firearm.

All the locks have been removed now. You can buy the stainless pug for the hole, or just remove the little lock tab from the action but leave the keyhole piece in place
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdanno84 View Post
When firing full .44mag loads, my lock engaged a couple of times and therefore deactivated the hammer and trigger. I carry this gun when backpacking and hiking therefore must be reliable. I removed the lock and installed a plug made by Jennings Machine and tool.
Attachment 776619

Attachment 776620

Attachment 776621

Nice Mountain Gun. I have collected a few and have one that is my go to sidearm for hiking, camping, riding in the back country.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
I have personally had the locks malfunction on my 5" 460, my dads 4" 500, and his 340pd and stainless 60 when using magnum rounds.....

All the locks have been removed now. You can buy the stainless pug for the hole, or just remove the little lock tab from the action but leave the keyhole piece in place
I am toying with the idea of buying a new Smith 629 with the 5 inch barrel. How difficult is it to plug the hole or remove the lock??
Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Neither my 686 or SW500 have had any issue. Obviously the SW500 has an abundant amount of recoil.
But I'm not using them for defense.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

I have a 642 Iíve carried as a back up gun at work and in a pocket holster off work for about the last 7-8 years. Itís got a couple thousand rounds through it and besides being pretty dinged up itís run 100%. I would point out Iíve never engaged the lock ever, and just keep the key in the box with the manual. Iíve often considered having the lock removed but I then think why waste the money when it runs fine? Plus when my dad passes Iíll inherit his super old blued j frame without a lock.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
I am toying with the idea of buying a new Smith 629 with the 5 inch barrel. How difficult is it to plug the hole or remove the lock??
10 minute job if youre handy with screwdrivers, but take your time and dont chew up the screw heads.

The pen is pointing to the flat triangular lock piece with the little raised nub, thats what you need to remove. When the spade shaped piece is rotated by the key it pushes the flat lock up and the raised tab locks into notches in the hammer. You can just lift that flat piece out and reinstall the spade and spring to hold it in place and it will look like a normal lock from the outside. Or you can pop those parts out too and drop in the stainless plug.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
It's pretty easy. I got the kit from Original Precision, watched the video and did it in about 15 minutes. If you don't want the kit you can just leave the plug out but I worry about dirt getting in.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:53 AM

I removed the lock before I even shot the gun...

...as noted above the mod is pretty simple.
Old 02-09-2019, 4:27 PM

Well If I can remove the lock and plug the Hilary hole I say why not. More piece of mind and I can eliminate the possibility of a lockup, however unlikely it may be.
Old 02-09-2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
The 5 inch 629 classic...and it truly is. It has great looks and balance. I use mine when I ride into the mountains on horseback. I heard that as long as you have never used the lock, it shod not be a problem.

Old 02-09-2019, 4:56 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I have thousands of rounds through my 686SSR in competition. I've driven the gun very hard and have zero issues with the lock.
Old 02-09-2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
The 5 inch 629 classic...and it truly is. It has great looks and balance. I use mine when I ride into the mountains on horseback. I heard that as long as you have never used the lock, it shod not be a problem.

Oh my gosh, I won't be able to sleep tonight......why, why must you post that picture!!!!

Thanks a lot, though.
Old 02-09-2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Oh my gosh, I won't be able to sleep tonight......why, why must you post that picture!!!!

Thanks a lot, though.

Other side....

Wearing Bianchi leather...
Old 02-10-2019, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have personally had the locks malfunction on my 5" 460, my dads 4" 500, and his 340pd and stainless 60 when using magnum rounds.

Theyve had various different issues from locking after a shot so the trigger and hammer lock up in the released position, or halfway moving to the locked position and trying to catch the hammer in the cocked position. I distinctly remember a time that my dads 500 locked after the first shot, he cocked the hammer back for a second shot and it would not fire- loaded cocked and ready to go with a rock solid trigger. Grabbed the key out of my bag and sure enough, click to unlock and resume shooting. it wasnt fully locked in the hammer down condition, but just cocking it for single action let the lock slip into place enough to brick the firearm.

You experienced 4 lock failures??

No offense but I find that extremely difficult to believe! And what are "magnum" rounds??

Your statement doesn't pass the smell test!
Old 02-10-2019, 5:59 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
You experienced 4 lock failures??

No offense but I find that extremely difficult to believe! And what are "magnum" rounds??

Your statement doesn't pass the smell test!
Thanks for your completely unbased opinion, I value it greatly.

Magnum meaning 357 Magnum, if you're familiar with those models you might know that it's extremely common to use 38 special for less recoil.

Have a great evening, Mr skeptical internet guy

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-10-2019, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for your completely unbased opinion, I value it greatly.

Magnum meaning 357 Magnum, if you're familiar with those models you might know that it's extremely common to use 38 special for less recoil.

Have a great evening, Mr skeptical internet guy
I'm calling BS!

I have owned more scandium frame S&W's than anyone I know and have exclusively shot Buffalo Bore 180 gr Outdoorsman thru them as I bought everyone one specifically for carrying outdoors.

If you stated you had one issue I'd want more information as you would be the first, first hand issue I've heard, but 4!

I'm calling BS!
Old 02-10-2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
I'm calling BS!

I'm calling BS!
Let us know if BS answered your call.
Old 02-10-2019, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
Let us know if BS answered your call.
Let's see how he responds.

One guy, 4 failures, total BS!

Magnum loads?? They don't get much more "magnum" than the BB Outdoorsman.

I know scandium S&W's and I don't have a problem with calling BS when I see it.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Happened to me on a 5" john Ross. 500.

Lock came off shortly after.

Granted, the recoil of that pistol is legendary at the so cal shoots, but still.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

To Smittty-

It's possible some springs were under spec and didn't put enough tension to hold the lock piece in place.
Manufacturing failures do happen sometimes.

In the case of mine, the recoil of 500gr projectiles in an imported ~3lb revolver probably exceed the design parameters of that lock 🤣
Old 02-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Can't edit with mobile- UNported not imported 🤣
Old 02-11-2019, 6:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
Can't edit with mobile- UNported not imported ��
Thanks for clarifying, and I believe you.

I owned a ported 500 and recoil was tame. Never fired a non-ported but I know how powerful they are.

I don’t believe it happened to cudda44 with four different 357 mag’s.
Old 02-11-2019, 6:41 AM

From 2011 - Confirmed: Smith & Wesson 686 Internal Lock Failed

Video linked to and one included in article...

There are far too many, first-hand reports out there to totally dismiss the possibility as FUD. With that said, it is something that doesn't appear to happen all that regularly. The problem is, it DOES happen.

In effect, it may only happen once in one thousand go 'rounds. But, like with everything similar, what kind of odds do you want on that once being when you really need it?

If I found a pre-lock in fantastic shape, I'd pony up the money for it. If I needed to pick up a lock version, then, personally, I'd remove the lock and plug the hole... Even though I know a few guys who own lock versions and have never had a problem.
Old 02-11-2019, 8:26 AM

Quote:
.... I distinctly remember a time that my dads 500 locked after the first shot, he cocked the hammer back for a second shot and it would not fire- loaded cocked and ready to go with a rock solid trigger. Grabbed the key out of my bag and sure enough, click to unlock and resume shooting. it wasnt fully locked in the hammer down condition, but just cocking it for single action let the lock slip into place enough to brick the firearm.

If he could pull the hammer back it was not a lock issue...

If the lock can be engaged enough to allow the hammer to be back but not allow the trigger to be pulled

If the lock some how becomes engaged while firing the lock is defective, this can be corrected.

Of coarse the lock can removed to eliminated to remove the possibility.

be safe
Ruggy

Last edited by ruggyh; 02-11-2019 at 8:28 AM..