Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-18-2019, 7:59 AM

Default Like Zio said

The reason Leupold is the king of the hunting scope, really Good glass at 300 or so dollars with great internals that hold zero, sleek and lightweight, good eye relief and a lifetime warranty. Like Zio said , put the high dollars toward spotting scope or binocs that you spend a lot of time behind, maybe even just bird watching or the sorts. But even then I have seen both binoculars and scopes 1k and up and I don't think the percentage of optical quality you get from that is a good value. yes they are better but maybe 10 percent better at a 800 percent mark up.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 PM

^^^^^^ Sage advice here. I spend probably less than 2 minutes total looking through my scope, whereas I spend hours on the binos. The law of diminishing returns plays out in binos also. No denying Swaros are the best, but IMHO, totally unnecessary for the average hunter. Guide use? Yes.
Old 04-11-2019, 5:49 AM

Thumbs up Nightforce 5 x 22 x 56

When you can shoot at 800 yards and watch your round impact the disk...that is the right equipment for me. Yes, it's $2,000 but you get what you pay for. As they say....buy once cry once
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne
Old 04-11-2019, 6:02 AM

I hate to say it, but having hit 50 last year, at some point you also have to ask if your eyes can tell the difference between $500 and $2000 optics. It doesnít matter how much more fine detail the glass can resolve if the old Mk 1 eyeball canít detect it anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

In my 50 years hunting experience, what I've realized is that even modest priced glass $300-$500 range is far superior to what my eyes can see. I've heard many hunters say that their rifle's accuracy far exceeds their own ability to shoot accurately. For me, I highly doubt a $1k or $2k set of binoculars will provide any significant improvement over my $300 Vortex binos. And, if they did, that's a significant price increase for a modest improvement. Keep in mind, I'm a regular guy that likes to hunt. I don't go on $10K to $50K hunts. If I did, money for equipment probably wouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Just spent my first day on the range with my new Mark 6.

Worth every penny.

You can tell yourself that $300 glass is good enough, and you would be right, but $2000 glass is in a league of its own.
Old 04-11-2019, 3:06 PM

You need to keep in mind when it comes to higher priced optics, its about reliability and functionality more than glass. Do the higher end scopes come with better glass, damn right, but to many untrained eyes its hard to tell the difference. But put one of your cheap scopes on Leupolds "Punisher" and watch it fail everytime when it comes to holding zero, turret function etc. If you havent seen the "Punisher" i highly recommend it!!
Old 04-11-2019, 4:47 PM

The "Punisher".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBs6GbHLUTo

All I know is that binos in the $300+ range are easier on my eyes than the cheap ones. A scope's primary purpose to me is a bit of magnification, inability to fog up and it must hold zero under all hunting conditions. Glass has come a long way. Bench guys need great scopes more than hunters.

For scopes I like Vortex, Leupold and Burris. Binos/ Zeiss and Steiners, moderately priced and perform well. Good warranties and well earned reputations.

Last edited by roostersgt; 04-11-2019 at 4:52 PM..
Old 04-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
Having owned a lot of different glass and spotting scopes. Yes, there is a difference .
Buy once, cry once. Get the Swarovski BTX and let the others with their Vortex suffer.

The light gathering is by far more superior. I will attach some pics of elk that I spotted 20 minutes before sunlight, they were about a mile out. My guide couldn't see crap and didn't believe me. His poor Vortex glass was nice, but no match for the higher end glass of the Swarovski.

Yes, you get what you pay for.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
SPOT ON!!