Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 7:12 PM

Smile San Leandro Gun Range/ Bullet Breakdown?

Hello,

I am getting ready to get into the hobby of firearm and need some guidance.

I passed my FSC and have my GSSF coupon in hand, ready to make the trip to LC Action to place a purchase on the Glock 34 Gen 3 and hopefully will be able to pick it up by the end of this month.

I found the range that I will frequent, but need some help on breaking down the allowed type of bullets for the range so I can stockpile it whenever there is a rebate/discount/promotion. I understand that I will have to ship this ammo to a FFL gun store.

The range I plan on frequenting is the San Leandro Gun Range.

http://www.slrifle.com/Home/range-policies

It states on their website that FMJ, Steel-core. and Magnetic ammo is not allowed.

Would Total Metal Jacket Bullets be allowed?
Does San Leandro Gun Range allow steel/aluminum casings?
Am I only allowed to shoot JHP/HP and SP/JSP at the range?

Thanks for the help,
Old 11-10-2018, 7:23 PM

Call the range and ask them
Old 11-10-2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABUSA View Post
Call the range and ask them
I'm a little nervous as I never owned a firearm before or know someone personally to ask this question. I guess I'll have to take the jump and see where I land. I was scoping custom satisfaction reviews and some of the patrons were stating that the staff there were conflicting each other with information etc.
Old 11-10-2018, 9:35 PM

Outdoors you can use jacketed ammo at the pistol range.
Basic handgun calibers.
You can not use full metal jacket ammo in your rifle at the 100 yd range.
They can check your ammo beforehand.

The indoor range may have other guidelines since they don't want the rear steel stops/deflectors ridden w holes or ricocheted shrapnel. Therefore no steel core magnetic ammo. Plus the liability issues of shrapnel etc.
So if your Glock is 9mm, the basic factory ammo is good to go.(blazer,sellior Bellot,pmc,lawman,wolf,fiocchi,atlantic arms,etc.etc.)
They sell ammo at the range also.

Plus no birdshot with shotguns.
Old 11-11-2018, 8:15 PM

For your Glock 34, be careful of super cheap steel case 9mm Russian rounds often sold cheap in bulk. Those bullets have a lead core but their jackets are steel bi-metal and will stick to magnets. AND they do spark when hitting steel backstops.

I made the mistake of buying a load of those from SGAmmo last year, before the mail order ban. Then discovered I couldn't use them in most of my local ranges. :-(

Inventor of Moodog D-Fog for eyepro :: Founder of NYCAirsoft :: NRA Life Member
Old 11-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi View Post
Hello,

It states on their website that FMJ, Steel-core. and Magnetic ammo is not allowed.

That's for the outdoor range. You can shoot FMJ pistol calibers indoors without any problem assuming it's not made of steel.

Only rifle range is hollow-point or soft point.
Old 11-15-2018, 2:45 PM

I recommend taking their exam to get their safety card. Your range fee drops to $15 instead of $25.

If you have questions just ask the range staff. They’re there to help and would rather answer a question than see you doing something unsafe or against the rules.
Old 11-16-2018, 7:24 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Hello,

I passed my FSC and have my GSSF coupon in hand, ready to make the trip to LC Action to place a purchase on the Glock 34 Gen 3 and hopefully will be able to pick it up by the end of this month.

I found the range that I will frequent, but need some help on breaking down the allowed type of bullets for the range so I can stockpile it whenever there is a rebate/discount/promotion. I understand that I will have to ship this ammo to a FFL gun store.

Thanks for the help,
If you haven't already done so, I would strongly consider getting some formal training. The sooner the better so you don't develop as many bad habits. Obviously, I am an instructor so I am a bit biased.

However, I do not teach any live fire classes in the east bay (I do teach some multi-state CCW courses in the east bay) so you likely would not take the training with me anyways (unless you want to drive to Modesto).

If you ever do have any questions, feel free to contact me and welcome to the 2a community!

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900

Last edited by Whites of Their Eyes; 11-16-2018 at 9:23 AM..
Old 11-16-2018, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouchelle View Post
That's for the outdoor range. You can shoot FMJ pistol calibers indoors without any problem assuming it's not made of steel.

Only rifle range is hollow-point or soft point.

By "rifle range" I believe Trouchelle means the 100yrd part of the outdoor range (the right side). Frangible and LRN rounds are also allowed. The reasoning is, they don't want any risk of ricochet of a FMJ bullet because the range is along the Oakland airport flight path.

You may use FMJ bullets on the 10yrd-50yrd section of the outdoor range (left side) because it has a covered "roof" of sheet steel.

Inventor of Moodog D-Fog for eyepro :: Founder of NYCAirsoft :: NRA Life Member
Old 11-16-2018, 9:29 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the help,
One other thing I always ask people is have you shot the Glock 34 before? A lot of times, new shooters will buy a gun based on the recommendation from a friend, family member, or the internet, but then discover that they actually prefer another gun. There is certainly nothing wrong with a Glock 34, but guns are kind of like cars in that we all have different preferences.

If you haven't shot the Glock 34 before (or if that is the only thing you have shot), I would recommend going to an indoor range that rents guns and try a bunch of different guns. Most indoor ranges charge a flat fee and you can rent as many as you would like as long as you buy their ammo.

Just so you know, I do not believe San Leandro rents firearms.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Koi,

If you can go during week one of the RSO's that's typically there is Mike. Twenties I guess (everyone is young to me these days).

Kid is really, really helpful...and he loves to talk Glock.

Nothing on the other RSO's: They, too, are friendly and exceedingly interested in safety. You'll have fun there.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoondogIndustries View Post
By "rifle range" I believe Trouchelle means the 100yrd part of the outdoor range (the right side). Frangible and LRN rounds are also allowed. The reasoning is, they don't want any risk of ricochet of a FMJ bullet because the range is along the Oakland airport flight path.

You may use FMJ bullets on the 10yrd-50yrd section of the outdoor range (left side) because it has a covered "roof" of sheet steel.
Yes, to what Moondog says. When you arrive and you see the giant sign about "NO FMJ" it could be a little deceiving. It really is in reference to the 100 yard section.

I shoot FMJ 9mm all the time indoors with pistols. The RSO have been a little inconsistent in enforcing the rules of using 9mm carbines in the indoor range so I don't chance it anymore and only use the 10yr-50 yard section outdoors for the carbines. And you can shoot FMJ there as well.

Side note, because the CHP and other agencies frequently used their facilities always check their google calendar on their website to make sure the side of the range you want to use is open.
Old 12-20-2018, 5:00 PM

when you get really good come out and watch the saturday night steel shoot those guys are full retard, yeah i shoot with them LOL.
Old 12-22-2018, 9:24 PM

Alright thanks for the advice peeps.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM

I'll just say that I like this place and they're very friendly and I'm sure will help if you ask them.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:52 PM

I like that range. Just follow the safety rules and you will be fine.
Old 01-23-2019, 7:06 AM

If you don't mind the drive, there's three outdoor ranges in the south bay without fuddy ammo rules. Los Altos, field sports park aka Metcalf, and Sunnyvale.