Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default $1200 worth it for used NF NXS?

Thinking of buying a used NXS I found on ebay that retails for $1850 new; still awaiting a response from seller on how used it actually is.

Another thing, the guy painted it camo and looks like he did it himself

Assuming that none of the paint made any contact with internals (turrets, glass, etc), is $1200 worth it for a used Nightforce? I'm just wondering how durable they are; I'm assuming the guy took it hunting a few times and it may have been in rainy or muddy conditions, and I'm wondering if I can expect it to be functionally like-new.

Appreciate any input on this. Thx

-Immortal Technique

Old 04-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I know spray paint is like the AIDS of calguns, but as long as the glass and turret markings were properly taped off, its functionally fine. Its a Nightforce, not a fragile unreplaceable item. I know alot of people here seem to be museum curators, but since its rattlecanned you're already a step ahead to not being worried about the cosmetic appearance of a tool

Last edited by CouchOperator; 04-30-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So would you say it's worth it then? I've only just started looking at scopes, and I want to know if this deal is too good to pass up, if I could likely find one at some point in the future for a similar price, or if it's a bad deal.

Here's my situation: I just ordered a Palmetto State 5.56 Freedom upper (so, not the premium with the FN barrel). I was thinking of slapping on either a Leupold VX-R Patrol or Sig Sauer Tango 4 on it, but if I find a great deal on a Nightforce (my dream scope), I would pick it up and use that instead for the time being.

My plan is that it would eventually go on a 300 win mag that I plan on building in the future, so I would forego spending that much now if I know it's likely I can get one for a similar price in the future. Is $1200 par for the course for a used NXS?

-Immortal Technique

Old 04-30-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Unless it really is going on a .300 win mag, i say:
1. Sell the PSA kit for $300 or whatever you can get for it
2. Dont buy the $1200 nightforce.
3. Use the $1500~ for a BCM upper and an Aimpoint M4s or Micro. If you went magnified, razor gen2 1-6's can be had for $1300 all day long brand new and its FFP

I cant see the point to someone going super cheap on the rifle and then blowing the rest of the funds on a nightforce. Good glass is good glass sure, but theres a point to where the priorities between the two should be a bit more balanced
Old 04-30-2017, 11:29 AM

Default NXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFgiants105 View Post

Assuming that none of the paint made any contact with internals (turrets, glass, etc), is $1200 worth it for a used Nightforce? I'm just wondering how durable they are; I'm wondering if I can expect it to be functionally like-new.
If he did it rattle-can style, the camo can probably be removed.

Nightforce is very durable. Wouldn't sweat it either way, Nightforce has very good warranty service if there ever were an issue. No way of knowing how the current owner treated it so, it should function like new but, if not, see previous sentence. You might have to pay shipping, it's used, get over it. (They fixed it & paid priority return shipping on a used one I bought & it had debris inside)

As for price, you don't say which model it actually is. If 1-4x or 2.5-10x then, not a great deal. Any of the higher power models, (3.5-15, 5.5-22, 8-32, etc.) that would be a good price. Remove the camo & you could make money on it most likely.

Check the optics for sale sections on Snipershide & AccurateShooter amongst others to see what the model in question might be selling for elsewhere.

-Rick
Old 04-30-2017, 12:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchbarrel View Post
As for price, you don't say which model it actually is. If 1-4x or 2.5-10x then, not a great deal. Any of the higher power models, (3.5-15, 5.5-22, 8-32, etc.) that would be a good price. Remove the camo & you could make money on it most likely.

Check the optics for sale sections on Snipershide & AccurateShooter amongst others to see what the model in question might be selling for elsewhere.

-Rick
It's 3.5-15 (overkill for 5.56, I know lol), and it comes with rings (not sure what brand; NF hopefully). Just saw a similar one on SnipersHide for 1375 with Seekins rings and without zero stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
I cant see the point to someone going super cheap on the rifle and then blowing the rest of the funds on a nightforce. Good glass is good glass sure, but theres a point to where the priorities between the two should be a bit more balanced
The thing is, I wasn't really shopping for a NXS. I just saw it browsing through scopes and thought that it might be worth it to have for now if it's a once in a lifetime deal (since I don't have any sights or optics for my AR) and this is the scope I was planning on putting on my future 1000+ yard dream gun. If I could reasonably expect to be able to pick one up for about $1400 with rings in the future when I actually "need" it, I would just pass it up and get a ~$600 mid-range SPR scope.

On that note, is this scope any good?
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/sig-sau...MLThoCU_Hw_wcB

-Immortal Technique

Last edited by SFgiants105; 04-30-2017 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 04-30-2017, 12:23 PM

I sold one in good condition with hi speed turrets and zero stop for $1350
Old 04-30-2017, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

I paid $1,800 for a new one and have no regrets. If I could have found a used one in good shape for $1,200, I'd be all over it. If it had rings/mount all the better.
Old 04-30-2017, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Depending on the objective size, youll end up buying rings twice. A 56mm objective will require higher rings on an AR than a bolt gun (Stock/Chassis dependent)
Old 04-30-2017, 7:46 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thinking of buying a used NXS I found on ebay that retails for $1850 new; still awaiting a response from seller on how used it actually is.

Assuming that none of the paint made any contact with internals (turrets, glass, etc), is $1200 worth it for a used Nightforce? I'm just wondering how durable they are; I'm assuming the guy took it hunting a few times and it may have been in rainy or muddy conditions, and I'm wondering if I can expect it to be functionally like-new.

Appreciate any input on this. Thx
Are you looking for a hunting scope? I'd buy a new NF SHV in your favorite flavor for the same price.
Old 04-30-2017, 8:12 PM

Seems too good a deal, can you verify it is an NXS? Is the serial number listed in the ad?
Old 04-30-2017, 8:16 PM

Putting an NXS on a PSA 5.56 upper is like putting racing slicks on your Kia.
Old 05-01-2017, 6:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's 3.5-15 (overkill for 5.56, I know lol), and it comes with rings (not sure what brand; NF hopefully). Just saw a similar one on SnipersHide for 1375 with Seekins rings and without zero stop.

The thing is, I wasn't really shopping for a NXS. I just saw it browsing through scopes and thought that it might be worth it to have for now if it's a once in a lifetime deal (since I don't have any sights or optics for my AR) and this is the scope I was planning on putting on my future 1000+ yard dream gun. If I could reasonably expect to be able to pick one up for about $1400 with rings in the future when I actually "need" it, I would just pass it up and get a ~$600 mid-range SPR scope.

On that note, is this scope any good?
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/sig-sau...MLThoCU_Hw_wcB
It's a good price for an NXS. Whether is the right scope depends on the type of shooting you're planning on doing. Ok for hunting and target shooting at known distance targets. If you shoot any significant amount of shooting at unknown distance targets, you should consider a first focal plane scope.

The Sig you linked is not bad, but there are other scopes I'd take before that one in that price range and that category (1x-4 or 6x). You should really decide what the intended role will be for this optic. A short to mid range scope that has quick target acquisition capability, like a 1-4x, won't fulfill your needs for a scope that takes your rifle to 1000 yards, nor vice versa. You try to get one scope to do everything and you'll just end up unsatisfied.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 05-03-2017, 4:38 PM

There is no doubt about their reliability. NF themselves have posted videos of them sighting a scope in. Taking it off and chucking it 30 yards away a few times. Then putting it back on and its still zeroed.
Old 05-04-2017, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've only just started looking at scopes, and I want to know if this deal is too good to pass up
Focal plane? Matching turrets and reticle?

Some people here are adamant that any good scope must be first focal plane. Personally I do prefer it, but if cheap enough, I will buy a second focal plane scope.

Turrets and reticle - These MUST match for me. If the reticle is mil-dot based, the turrets have to be in mils too. (Or MOA/MOA if you prefer that reticle.)

I would do some research on scopes in general before plunking down $1200. And just because it's Nightforce doesn't automatically mean it's good.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Hunt View Post
Putting an NXS on a PSA 5.56 upper is like putting racing slicks on your Kia.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 PM

Yes if that's the scope you want

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 05-20-2017, 1:44 AM
Calguns Addict

$1200 is a pretty decent budget these days for an optic, especially with all the options on the market right now, you can get something pretty damn nice.

You mentioned you just started looking... Deals come and go all the time, I wouldn't rush into something you think you might want later without being really sure about it either.

I like NF scopes, they are tough, good resale, but to be honest the NSX line feels a bit dated. I know a few people who have sold theirs to move onto other things, including other NF scopes in their catalog or other brands all together. Ever since the Gen II Razor was released I saw a bunch of people jumping ship.

I shoot with a friend that has a NSX 5.5-22 and its not like we have any problems shooting with it, but even he was very impressed with my SWFA 5-20. Optically the NSX behind for its price point, and the SWFA SS HD is also tough and nails plus its a FFP optic.

He never said it, but I am pretty sure if he could have changed his choice knowing he didn't have to spend that much to get a good scope. He saw noticeable optical improvement... Like right off the bat it was obvious. After I told him how much it cost he was a bit humbled.

This wasn't meant to be a plug for SWFA, that scope has its own cons, but there are other scopes out there in that price class or less that do an amazing job and offer real performance, quality, and a more mature feature set.

But if you like it, rock and roll. You can always sell it later, and buying a good quality used optic is a good place to be. You won't loose much money if any at all when reselling it.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 05-20-2017 at 1:46 AM..
Old 05-20-2017, 4:27 AM

I bought this scope for around 1650 new during a sale and it came with the MOAR reticle. I put it on my SCAR 17. It shoots better than I can, I love the scope and will never part with it. I used a bobro mount to couple the two.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk