Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-22-2011, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

There are a lot worst guns than a Sig 229 in .40...DHS made a good choice when they went with the DAK system...and you can save 50% of the budget by carrying the 229 both on and off-duty
Old 10-22-2011, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
There are a lot worst guns than a Sig 229 in .40...DHS made a good choice when they went with the DAK system...and you can save 50% of the budget by carrying the 229 both on and off-duty
It's not a money issue (Idon't know how it's not... The sky has been falling for two years!) I'm told... They are going to buy two weapons per deputy no matter what.
Old 10-22-2011, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

BTW I agree there are a lot worse weapons we could get... If the policy went our way and money was not a personal issue for me, I would carry a p226 anyways... It's just the constent baysitting and hand holding is getting old.
Old 10-23-2011, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Really?!? The Sig 229 DAK has been the worst duty gun I have ever carried/issued, so much so that I would only use it during raids; my Glock 26 was my primary carry on a daily basis. Worse than the Beretta 96 Brigadeer I was first issued. I carried a personal owned first generation Sig 229 DAO for a few years in uniform, and the trigger was much better on the DAO than the It is heavy, the trigger sucks, and terrible for plainclothes work. A lot of the guns that were issued had some sort of parts breakdown, such as take down latches breaking. My scores went down 20 points from my previously issued Glock 19. We have a new updated firearms policy, and I will be turning in the 229 for a Glock when I get back CONUS.
Old 10-23-2011, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

That's nice to be issued two weapons... One local agency was like that. They issued everyone a HK USP with tac light, and a ppk for backup.
Old 10-23-2011, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
Really?!? The Sig 229 DAK has been the worst duty gun I have ever carried/issued...I carried a personal owned first generation Sig 229 DAO for a few years in uniform, and the trigger was much better on the DAO than the It is heavy, the trigger sucks, and terrible for plainclothes work.
I guess our experiences just differ. I've picked up DAK Sigs (220, 226, 229) belonging to student during classes and every one of them (about 6) had a trigger stroke that was comparable to a smooth S&W K-frame (usually the standard that duty revolvers are judged by). It was very comparable to a Kahr trigger...before tuning
Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I guess our experiences just differ. I've picked up DAK Sigs (220, 226, 229) belonging to student during classes and every one of them (about 6) had a trigger stroke that was comparable to a smooth S&W K-frame (usually the standard that duty revolvers are judged by). It was very comparable to a Kahr trigger...before tuning
I have small hands, and even after switching grips multiple times to include Sigs new grip, it still feels awkward and bulky. In uniform the Sig would be fine, but I haven't worn a uniform in ten plus years. For plainclothes it is too big and cumbersome, and when you are sitting on surveillance it becomes a pain. This is not a gun for everyone, and I am glad that we have a new firearms policy.
Old 10-24-2011, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
I have small hands, and even after switching grips multiple times to include Sigs new grip, it still feels awkward and bulky. In uniform the Sig would be fine, but I haven't worn a uniform in ten plus years. For plainclothes it is too big and cumbersome, and when you are sitting on surveillance it becomes a pain. This is not a gun for everyone, and I am glad that we have a new firearms policy.
This is what they had in mind (I hope at least) by getting a smaller pistol as well... A good portion of our dept. does plain cloths work at some point or another.
Old 10-24-2011, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

First off congrats, on taking initiative on seeing an officer safety issue and taking point. Glad to see something come of your efforts. Sad to see your HK's under performing. I had a USP40 as a duty weapon with 5000+ rounds and only 2 ftf's due to poor quality personal ammo at the range. I do agree with the lack of holsters, especially with tac lights.

I have to say I can't find fault with the gun when a department fails to have their weapons serviced. I am sure I am preaching to the choir, but not keeping up maintaining HK's is waste of a big investment. From my experience, HK's of this age with feeding issues tend to only need new magazine springs. I think it's a testament of the HK to have lasted this long. Also glad to see that the new weapons will be required to be maintained. Is your department planning on trading them in, or selling them to an armory? I have a couple of resources for places that take LE trade in's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.
Old 10-24-2011, 3:52 PM
Banned

Thats pretty dumb that they are limiting it to 1 caliber, once you are trained on say, a glock 40 there is very little difference in moving to the .45. The malfunction drills and training are the exact same.
Old 10-24-2011, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrearview View Post
This is what they had in mind (I hope at least) by getting a smaller pistol as well... A good portion of our dept. does plain cloths work at some point or another.
Nope, this is government and they went with the lowest bidder. I can tell you that on average qual scores went down significantly after the transition. Like I said before, this was not my first time carrying a Sig for duty so I understand the weapon platform.
I cannot understand how you can compare the DAK trigger to Smith and Wesson revolver. I carried a broken in J frame Model 60 .38 special for a long time, and the trigger was smooth as butter. The DAK trigger feels gritty, long, and the reset is actually harder than original trigger pull.

I think we should agree to disagree on this one.