Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-19-2011, 4:37 PM

Question Mini 14 help needed.

Hey everyone. I've got a bit if a problem with an older mini 14 and I was hoping somebody could help me out.

I brought out my fathers mini he purchased in the mid 80s to get it range ready for some plinking. The first thing I do is try to cycle the bolt and.......nothing. The thing won't budge. I then proceed to soak the living bee geez out if it with clp and let it sit for a few. Go back and try it again and still frozen. I began to think it had been welded shut because it won't even budge a centimeter no matter how much force I use. But after checking for weld spots I see this is not the case.

To my knowledge it has been sitting for 10+ years without being touched until now. No signs of rust on the action but an itty bit at the front of the barrel.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2011, 4:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Use a rubber mallet or similar to knock the bolt open. It's just fused shut with old grease which has turned into glue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 10-19-2011, 4:49 PM

Or it could have been reassembled wrong. If you put the recoil spring guide rod in upside down you'll get a similar result. Not that i've done it or anything. ;D
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 10-19-2011, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

MOST likely, the piston has rusted to the op rod. Take the stock off first. Then with a punch, hit the op rod as far forward as you can. Banging on the handle can result in a broken handle. Then get you a new piston. Maybe a new oprod if yer lucky to find one.
Old 10-20-2011, 5:11 PM

Right on guys. Thanks so much for the input. I'll report back with the cause. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2011, 5:54 PM

Check to see if there is a cartridge in the chamber.
Old 10-20-2011, 6:12 PM

I agree that the piston is most likely stuck in op rod. In this situation you can also use inertia to your advantage. Take the rifle, find some soft grass, holding the barrel firmly in your hand, strike the stock into the ground sharply. This often times will free up the op rod. With the action being frozen forward you won't be able to confirm the chamber is empty from visual inspection so do this with the safety on, so use EXTREME CAUTION. Or if you have an area that is safe and legal to shoot, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger, thus confirming unloaded cartridge condition. One other way of confirming a safe chamber without being able to inspect from the open action is to take a cleaning rod and measure the distance it goes into the barrel. If it goes all the way down into the bolt/breach face then you are good to go. If it comes up short be careful. HTH c good

Last edited by c good; 10-21-2011 at 7:01 AM..
Old 10-20-2011, 6:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

ruger is very good about supplying parts from the factory

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 10-20-2011, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
...point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger, thus confirming unloaded cartridge condition.
The rifle is already not operating correctly, I'd not recommend trying to fire. No sense putting stress on a system that is already jammed shut. Adding a misfire or a hang fire with 10yr old ammo will only make matters worse. I'm sure a brush needs ran through the bore.
Old 10-20-2011, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
The rifle is already not operating correctly, I'd not recommend trying to fire. No sense putting stress on a system that is already jammed shut. Adding a misfire or a hang fire with 10yr old ammo will only make matters worse. I'm sure a brush needs ran through the bore.
How do you run a brush through the bore when the bolt is frozen shut and there is a possible live round in the chamber?
Old 10-20-2011, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Get a take-down manual and be careful not to loose the gas port bushing.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 10-20-2011, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
How do you run a brush through the bore when the bolt is frozen shut and there is a possible live round in the chamber?
It's really really hard. That's another reason why a live round should be removed first. Sending a bullet down the barrel first, instead of removing 10yrs of dust and spiders and the unknown, may cause damage to the bore.
Old 10-20-2011, 8:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The problem with removing the action from the stock is that if the hammer isn't back you're not going to be able to pop out the trigger group and remove the action - at least I'm not aware of how to. I agree the piston is probably "gummi-beared" to the front of the op rod and I think a blast of something would work it free. If not a wallop on the op rod handle, how about removing the gas block and tapping its lower to break the connection - or removing the GB top and forend, then nozzling in some lube or break free?
Old 10-20-2011, 8:52 PM

How about spraying some WD40 or other solvent/lube down the action and barrel?
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 10-21-2011, 9:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornElessar86 View Post
How about spraying some WD40 or other solvent/lube down the action and barrel?
there is a small gas hole, but I doubt much of that would make it to the op rod

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 10-21-2011, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

Stomp it open with your boot. That's how they do it with rusted AK's right?

Quote:
Fernando became an American the courageous way. By outrunning the speed boat.
Old 10-21-2011, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

OK, seen this many times---Op-rod is rusted over gas-port---first try and confirm chamber is empty by CAREFULLY checking with cleaning rod (point in safe direction!)---once you know rifle is unloaded, place rifle in vertical position (muzzle down) with operating handle on right side placed against the top of a wooden table (this may mar the finish on the table---picnic table OK) and strike operating handle downward against wooden table edge a few times until becomes unstuck---apply oil and clean rusted area after taking rifle apart. If rifle is in fact loaded---apply safety and take to gunsmith---TELL him you believe gun is loaded! Good luck with this and BE CAREFUL!