Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-04-2010, 4:26 PM

Default "Fuzzy" EOTech Reticle

I just received my EOTech XPS2-0 and I am noticing that the both the 65 minute ring and the 1 MOA aiming dot appear fuzzy and pixilated. The aiming dot actually appears as 4 or 5 little pixels.

I understand that the HWS is projected using pixels, but I am wondering if the optic I received is more fuzzy than it should be. I have never looked through an EOTech optic before, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Is this normal? Anyone else ever had a similar problem?

I seem to recall reading something similar on CG before, but I was not able to locate the thread.

Thanks for your help!

RT
Old 01-04-2010, 4:28 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

from the EoTech FAQ:
Quote:
My circle is fuzzy/hazy. Why is this?
That question about our reticle is common. What people usually see on-line or in advertisements are graphic representations of the reticle. What you are seeing is likely normal. The outer circle of the reticle is made up of hundreds of pixels (small dots that form together to make a larger image). This pixilation is key to being able to see the hologram properly, and is inherent in the technology. You should see the center dot as a single MOA.

A couple things might help make the image appear more distinct:

■If you see the image blurry, fuzzy, distorted, having a double image, or having a 'starburst' effect, this usually means the brightness intensity level is up too high for the lighting conditions you're using it in. Dim down the brightness until the reticle is slightly see-through. The outer circle is designed as your reference to center, and acts similar to a ghost ring.
■The reticle is projected out to your target plane. If you pick up a target that is very close (like a photo on the wall), your eyes might not focus properly on the image. Pick up sight pictures 25 to 30 yards out until you become accustomed to the sight. Try them at different eye reliefs, and certainly try these things once the sight is mounted on a weapon.
■If you require corrective lenses (glasses or contacts) to see things clearly at a distance, you will need them to see the reticle clearly. Remember, the reticle is actually projected out to your target plane, so you will see it like anything else at that distance. Also, if you have astigmatism or use bifocals, you may see the image less distinctly.
■Use the sight outdoors, and if possible at the range. Actually acquiring targets with the sight will help your eyes focus properly on the reticle.
but until you look through another sample, it is hard to know if it is excessive or not.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-04-2010, 4:29 PM

if its really cranked bright , it starts to bloom and get all pixelated. Atleast you know its not a knockoff . I would say it is probably normal. Take a picture if you can.
Are we talking taking the tip off every time or just hitting it somewhere along the shaft? The latter is not that impressive. Not saying it's easy, but I'm sure many people could do it. I could probably do it myself at least 50% of the time.
Old 01-04-2010, 4:45 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can replicate the effect with a picture.

RT
Old 01-04-2010, 5:14 PM
Calguns Addict

No need to take a pic, that is how it is suppose to be.