Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:10 PM

Default Had A Pleasant Experience At Reed's On Friday Afternoon

On Friday afternoon I took my wife shooting for her first time. We went to Reed's (that's where I usually shoot). I wish i knew the name of the guy working at the front counter that day (young Caucasian guy, about 30 years old). He was so friendly and nice that it really helped put my wife at ease (like I said this was her first time shooting ever). Just wanted to give a shout-out to give and if anybody knows who I'm talking about please let me know so I can shoot an email directly to Reed's complimenting him.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:29 PM

Hi Gooseman, Im not good with names but I can vouche for the employees at Reed's Im a newbie myself and when I was having issues with my Conversion kit 22lr on my Glock 20sf, the guy at the front desk was bery helpful in teaching me how to troubleshoot the malfunctions. I got a free lesson without any sarcasm and or attitude. They are very genuinely kind and helpful over at Reed's. I am a much better shooter because of them.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Some people bad mouth Reeds, but I've always found them to be friendly and knowledgeable. And since they're my LGS, I try to buy from them as well.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 05-26-2019, 4:22 PM

I've shot at Reeds probably 50 times and bought some guns there. I've had a grand total of zero issues.

Highly recommended.
Old 05-26-2019, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billped View Post
I've shot at Reeds probably 50 times and bought some guns there. I've had a grand total of zero issues.

Highly recommended.
+1 Reeds is my go to LGS.
Old 05-26-2019, 4:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseman View Post
On Friday afternoon I took my wife shooting for her first time. We went to Reed's (that's where I usually shoot). I wish i knew the name of the guy working at the front counter that day (young Caucasian guy, about 30 years old). He was so friendly and nice that it really helped put my wife at ease (like I said this was her first time shooting ever). Just wanted to give a shout-out to give and if anybody knows who I'm talking about please let me know so I can shoot an email directly to Reed's complimenting him.
I "know" the guy you're talking about though I don't know his name. Chatty (in a good way) and friendly. There's also an Asian-American guy about the same age who is great - willing to chat, but also all business and professional / quick if that's the signal you're sending.

I've seen some craptastic patrons at Reed's on occasion, and on the range, but nothing like TM, and I'm pretty happy with them as a local indoor range and a gunshop. With Jackson Arms and TM both gone recently, I hope Reed's does really well (and I'll spend money to help make it so), and I hope it doesn't become a ****show with douchy customers and employees who reflect the worst of customers. I'd like a decent indoor range available, and Reed's has always been solid.

Glad your wife had a good experience with her first range trip!
Old 05-26-2019, 5:11 PM

+1 Reed's
Old 05-26-2019, 6:47 PM

+1 from me. I have had good experiences there, and the sales people have almost always been very friendly, and always helpful.
Old 05-26-2019, 7:11 PM

I concur with the recommendations -- I've had good experience there.
Old 05-26-2019, 7:46 PM

Reeds is my go-to indoor range. Been going there for years. Never had a bad experience. Bought 3 guns and another ppt there, everything went smoothly. I avoid the range on friday and sat nights, lots of first timers there.
Old 05-26-2019, 9:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Reeds was always good to me. I've done puts including trades and I've bought firearms there as well. Never had a problem.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Been there twice for PPT's. Today is the last time. Only went there because the seller wanted to. Sad. The guy behind the counter was polite and friendly. Unfortunately I was buying a curio and relic handgun (with my C&R and COE). After 90 % of the paperwork was done, another counter dude came up and said, "he's trying to avoid the 10 day wait...we can't/won't do it." I asked "why not? Its a C&R." His response..."Then go somewhere else." Maybe its just me, but that's the second time I've been, and both times...ugh. I'm glad you other guys have had better encounters.
Monday, Memorial Day - nobody is open.
Old 05-27-2019, 3:51 PM

Reeds is not the place for PPTs.

Their policy is to not do them at all. If you do manage to do a PPT it's because they have run out of excuses to avoid it, and are legally obligated to.

It's not worth the time.

The indoor range is good, the prices are high otherwise.
Old 05-27-2019, 8:31 PM

In my experience, range staff is pretty chill and friendly. They can be unreasonably anal about ammo. But in the Bay Area, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

The store itself is relatively uptight and on the somewhat pricey side, though. More crowded at times than most other places in the area, too.

Regarding PPTs - yeah, good luck finding a major storefront dealer in the Bay Area who doesn't try to weasel out of handling them for non-regulars. Go to one of the smaller shops that specialize in Internet orders and PPTs.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Why I prefer Reeds, here is what I've seen;

Reeds: Guy and his girlfriend want to rent a gun, counter guy says, well let's see if you know how to handle one. Hands him an empty gun and an empty magazine and some dummy rounds. Guy loads dummies backwards into magazine. Reeds counter guy says "Look, I'm sorry. Maybe take some classes first before trying to rent again" and turns him away. (I'm paraphrasing, I don't know really what he said)

Other Range: Guy walks out of the range area to the counter, he is holding in his hands, a gun with the slide forward and a magazine in the gun. He says to the counter guy "I can't get the clip out of the gun" Translation "I've just brought a loaded gun into the store in my hand, muzzling everyone on this side of me and I don't know what I'm doing". Counter guy "Hey, use the basket when you bring a gun to the counter"... no mention of "hey, you're an idiot, GTFO, your range session is over".

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 05-28-2019, 8:20 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

I've only bought one gun at Reed's as they're a bit far away for going to the range but the transaction was pretty smooth and I can't recall saying "I'll never go there again"
Old 06-08-2019, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

UPDATE: Went back to Reed's to pick up gun from my May 27th ppt. (See rant above)

Pleasantly surprised with the 2 counter guys who were friendly and professional. They weren't very busy...that might have helped.

While I may not use Reed's for ppt, I was gratified the pickup went smooth and fast.
Old 06-08-2019, 8:27 AM

I think I know who you're talking about. His name is Derek.
Old 06-08-2019, 8:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Not to pile on, but I too have had excellent experiences at reed’s. Even back when they were a sporting goods store.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 06-08-2019, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Agree on Reedís being a good place to go...helpful staff...

Now, the interesting and potentially bad issue will be...how many of the gangbangers and unsafe shooters from TM now go to Reedís...I hope not a lot...and that the good staff folks donít put up with the crap...
Old 06-08-2019, 6:57 PM

I bought my S&W .357 and Mossberg 500 from Reeds back when they were on Alum Rock Avenue.
Never any issues.
Old 06-08-2019, 8:00 PM

The range side of the business is always smooth. I've never managed to buy a gun from them because the other side of the business always seems like a hassle.

I did see some guy cut his finger halfway through firing a S&W 500 and supporting it with his left hand under the cylinder. The range patched him up and let him back out to shoot some more.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have bought at least 2 guns from Reed's. I take friends there to teach them how to shoot or rent a gun they are thinking of buying. I took a friend there to buy a gun several years ago and Mr. Reed himself conducted the sale and did the paperwork. For 95% of what you want in a LGS Reed's is the place to go.

As long as you don't go there to conduct a PPT. I have gone there 3X for PPT and only concluded 1 successfully. The only worse FFL is TargetMasters that is batting 0%. Reed's once refused to transfer a 100% legal barreled action. I did hear from an inside source that Mr. Reed chewed the clerk out later and said it should have been done. I've sold a lot of guns recently in San Jose and IMO the place to go is Metal Dog. Although I must say a buyer talked me into going to the Gun Attic on First St. I'd never heard of them and was pleasantly surprise at how pleasantly and efficiently the PPT was conducted. They don't have a great selection of guns in stock but for PPT - highly recommended.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:48 PM

I shoot there weekly, good folks that work there. Prices are a little on the high side, other than that, no complaints. The only thing TM has better than them are prices.