Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2019, 10:06 PM

Angry CFARS still pending?

My featureless volregs are still pending. Submitted in June 2018, DOJ email response requesting pics and volreg status changed to incomplete November 2018, submitted an issue ticket pushing back November 2018, submitted another help ticket December 2018, resubmitted volregs without pictures but added comments pushing back making the volreg status change back to in progress January 2019, haven't heard sh*t April 2019. Still pending!

1. Can I legally take my home built featureless rifles out to the range with their volreg statuses still pending?

2. Anyone else still in purgatory?

Last edited by reznunt; 04-16-2019 at 10:09 PM..
Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 PM

Yup. Me too. Three carbine featureless builds. They asked questions in November and i answered. Never asked for pics. Been 'in process' ever since.

Not an expert, but I figure im ok to take out and use since ive done my part to register. I keep a copy of the CFARS registration original in the bag if there are any questions.
Old 04-17-2019, 6:02 AM
Calguns Addict

If you guys are running featureless, why not just buy a stripped 100% lower and build it?

Am I forgetting something? It’s been a couple of years since I’ve built anything in CA.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 04-17-2019, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
If you guys are running featureless, why not just buy a stripped 100% lower and build it?

Am I forgetting something? Its been a couple of years since Ive built anything in CA.

That's backwards thinking. First of all, demilling my beautiful builds and rebuilding all of them on dros'd receivers would not only be very time consuming, it would cost a lot of money. But the biggest issue is it's not even necessary! I've done everything by the book and am 100% in the right. So because the DOJ can't handle their business I should take responsibility? No.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznunt View Post
That's backwards thinking. First of all, demilling my beautiful builds and rebuilding all of them on dros'd receivers would not only be very time consuming, it would cost a lot of money. But the biggest issue is it's not even necessary! I've done everything by the book and am 100% in the right. So because the DOJ can't handle their business I should take responsibility? No.
Ok, then...

Old 04-17-2019, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

I’m in the same boat. I emailed them and they responded within a day or to two saying I need to wait 99 days before they could provide a status update. So I said cool I waited 240 plus days from original submission and 115 days from correction to resubmit for a status update. They have yet to respond in over a week.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post

Am I forgetting something? It’s been a couple of years since I’ve built anything in CA.

^^^^^^^^^ YUP! Problem solved! That's exactly what I would do if I was in his shoes. You can get Anderson's lowers from PA for 30 bucks on sale and then it'd take all of an hour to strip parts off 80% lower and slap 'em on stripped lower. DONE! Totally easy and legal. Then he can simply ignore the DOJ nonsense. Time to go shooting.

Last edited by paddyraid; 04-20-2019 at 11:00 PM..
Old 04-21-2019, 2:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I submitted june like lots of others and got pending email no word since.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:45 PM

my volregs took 10 months to get a letter back, though I had no questions/pushbacks in between. CFARS will never update, even after you get your letters.
Old 04-29-2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyraid View Post
^^^^^^^^^ YUP! Problem solved! That's exactly what I would do if I was in his shoes. You can get Anderson's lowers from PA for 30 bucks on sale and then it'd take all of an hour to strip parts off 80% lower and slap 'em on stripped lower. DONE! Totally easy and legal. Then he can simply ignore the DOJ nonsense. Time to go shooting.
Guess some of you guys never built a real rifle from a flat

They're not just Legos.

Last edited by reznunt; 04-29-2019 at 8:29 PM..
Old 05-02-2019, 6:05 PM

Coming up on a year since submittal. Nothing but crickets since my November reply. OK with me. Figured I did my part.
However a wondering thought in the back of my head just pops forward every now and then.
Old 05-02-2019, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

I have a wondering thought also. So I separated uppers from the lowers and only assemble when I go to the range. This way if the worst happens I can make some money back.
Old 05-02-2019, 7:13 PM

I got the last of my six last month. I filed in late June.
Old 05-02-2019, 8:08 PM

Default U

Quote:
Guess some of you guys never built a real rifle from a flat
Yeah, because we're Americans who can run a Bridgeport.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...1&d=1365714895

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 05-02-2019 at 9:08 PM..
Old 05-02-2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
Yeah, because we're Americans who can run a Bridgeport.

[IMG]

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...1&d=1365714895

[/IMG]
Oh I thought most of you guys just buy a heat treated piece of aluminum, go to a party, and push a button on a cnc 21st century gunsmithin'!
Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Oh I thought most of you guys just buy a heat treated piece of aluminum, go to a party, and push a button on a cnc 21st century gunsmithin'!
Build parties have been illegal, under Federal laws/regulations, since 2015.

ATF Ruling 2015-1

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Build parties have been illegal, under Federal laws/regulations, since 2015.

ATF Ruling 2015-1
Yes, it was just a joke aimed at the guy that couldn't take a joke. Let's please stay on topic. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2019, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

So I just received a phone call from the DOJ stating that mine are held up due to no pics. I told them I'm sorry these are volreged, maglocked pistols, and their is no requirement anywhere in the PC or law stating I need to do this. They said they want the photos to confirm that they are not assault weapons. I told them again that is not within the law and I am not required, to so I won’t do it. The lady (I needed to meet with my boss so I wasn't able to get her name) again told me the hold up and restated everything else. She basically said I need go to CFARS and report an issue for them to re-open my applications, and to update my volreg so I can just submit the photos and be done. So basically it seems like I am being blackmailed in to uploading photos or I do get my pistols approved. I am debating if it is worth it to just upload my photos. I feel like sticking to my guns and rocking what I have with no photos. I would obviously need to start keeping copies of all my interactions with the DOJ with my pistols until I get approved or DOJ agents show up to my door to inspect my firearms.

Last edited by steelrain82; 05-03-2019 at 4:07 PM..
Old 05-06-2019, 10:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
I’m in the same boat. I emailed them and they responded within a day or to two saying I need to wait 99 days before they could provide a status update. So I said cool I waited 240 plus days from original submission and 115 days from correction to resubmit for a status update. They have yet to respond in over a week.
They mean 99 days before they can respond to your email request for status update, not 99 days from when you submitted or resubmitted.
So in 99 days from your last email, you may get a reply.
Emailing them again to ask again resets your 99 day clock.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
So I just received a phone call from the DOJ stating that mine are held up due to no pics. I told them I'm sorry these are volreged, maglocked pistols, and their is no requirement anywhere in the PC or law stating I need to do this. They said they want the photos to confirm that they are not assault weapons. I told them again that is not within the law and I am not required, to so I wont do it. The lady (I needed to meet with my boss so I wasn't able to get her name) again told me the hold up and restated everything else. She basically said I need go to CFARS and report an issue for them to re-open my applications, and to update my volreg so I can just submit the photos and be done. So basically it seems like I am being blackmailed in to uploading photos or I do get my pistols approved. I am debating if it is worth it to just upload my photos. I feel like sticking to my guns and rocking what I have with no photos. I would obviously need to start keeping copies of all my interactions with the DOJ with my pistols until I get approved or DOJ agents show up to my door to inspect my firearms.
Tell them that you can confirm that they are not assault weapons for them so that they do not need the photos.
Also keep trying with different people at DOJ because you will get different answers and maybe one of them will finally process them for you.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh, sorry, I thought all along it was a plain jane AR 80% build. AK or HK build? Understand now. Best of luck.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:55 AM

They need to show you where in the penal code it requires you to submit pics.
Old 05-07-2019, 8:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2gunstuff View Post
They need to show you where in the penal code it requires you to submit pics.
In theory, that's true.
In reality, the DOJ wield the power to accept or deny the registration as they see fit.
So feel free to swing your dick as much as you want as long as you realize it might swing all the way around and end up in your backside.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I’ve decided if they reopen it I’m just going to submit pics under protest.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:35 PM

"So feel free to swing your dick as much as you want as long as you realize it might swing all the way around and end up in your backside."

Now that is totally sigworthy right there!
Old 05-26-2019, 2:18 PM

Hello people I got my doj approved serial number on the 15th of the month I got it serialized on the 16th and send pictures in on the 16th does anyone have any idea how long I have to wait before it's completed and cannot go to the shooting range with my serial number and long as I have my paperwork with me
Old 05-26-2019, 2:19 PM

My cfars says reviewing images of my 80% build can anyone tell me how long are they going to be reviewing the images before my registration is complete
Old 05-26-2019, 6:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven45acp View Post
My cfars says reviewing images of my 80% build can anyone tell me how long are they going to be reviewing the images before my registration is complete
Give it a few months.
If it's less, be happy.
If it's more, give it a few more months.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Give it a few months.

If it's less, be happy.

If it's more, give it a few more months.
Still waiting since June 2018...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
In theory, that's true.
In reality, the DOJ wield the power to accept or deny the registration as they see fit.
So feel free to swing your dick as much as you want as long as you realize it might swing all the way around and end up in your backside.
I guess you didn't see all the posts where people were successful with this approach of pointing out that nowhere in laws/regulations/penal code it was stated that pics were required for volreg.
Or maybe you did see all those posts given your post count, etc.; in which case your advice is kind of strange
(with all due respect to all of your wonderful contributions to this forum, when you start talking about swinging dicks--without any similar provocation whatsoever--you actually come off as kind of rude and also a bit crazy)

Last edited by nu2gunstuff; 05-28-2019 at 1:05 AM..
Old 05-28-2019, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2gunstuff View Post
I guess you didn't see all the posts where people were successful with this approach of pointing out that nowhere in laws/regulations/penal code it was stated that pics were required for volreg.
Or maybe you did see all those posts given your post count, etc.; in which case your advice is kind of strange
(with all due respect to all of your wonderful contributions to this forum, when you start talking about swinging dicks--without any similar provocation whatsoever--you actually come off as kind of rude and also a bit crazy)
I saw those posts.
Do you actually think that everyone will get the same treatment as other people got?

That's like thinking that because you once got off with a warning for speeding that you will always get off with a warning when different cops stop you for speeding.

You must not know how the DOJ works.
It's the luck of the draw.
Your luck depends on what employee you draw.
Old 05-28-2019, 9:36 PM

Sure, DOJ is like the county permitting/inspection process, etc., you never know what you're going to get. That's kind of a given...not genius material by any stretch.
The point is mostly moot anyways since July1st.
But not once to my knowledge did someone post that their *reasoned* refusal to send pics resulted in rejection of volreg. Perhaps it did happen and they were just too embarrassed to post, I guess.
Old 05-29-2019, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Maybe it's time to gather all the others waiting on their volreg and to file a class action suit against the DOJ for non-compliance.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Maybe it's time to gather all the others waiting on their volreg and to file a class action suit against the DOJ for non-compliance.
Just let me know where to sign.
Old 06-11-2019, 7:26 PM

Just checked my pending volregs, noticed the DOJ comments that were put in there back in Dec 2018 to "supply pictures" and all that jazz are no longer there.

Still shows "In Progress" though, and I never got any letters from the DOJ.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwawayifyoureugly View Post
Just checked my pending volregs, noticed the DOJ comments that were put in there back in Dec 2018 to "supply pictures" and all that jazz are no longer there.

Still shows "In Progress" though, and I never got any letters from the DOJ.
You are supposed to respond to those comments within 30 days.
They probably sent your application to the "reject" folder for non-response and have yet to get around to mailing out letters to all the rejected applications since they are still busy dealing with all the people who actively respond to comments.
You should open a case to get them to re-activate your application before it's fully rejected.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
You are supposed to respond to those comments within 30 days.

They probably sent your application to the "reject" folder for non-response and have yet to get around to mailing out letters to all the rejected applications since they are still busy dealing with all the people who actively respond to comments.

You should open a case to get them to re-activate your application before it's fully rejected.
I responded the same day they posted their comments. It had changed to a different status ("Incomplete"?), then changed back to In Progress about a week after I had responded via CFARS.

I'll open up a new Issue thread with them for a status update.

Old 06-13-2019, 8:49 AM
CGSSA Specialist
CGN Contributor

Just joined this issue today. Home built featureless AK. CFARS wants pictures? I responded it was not in Assault configuration please explain the need for pictures? Not sure what to do next.
Old 06-15-2019, 3:16 PM
Veteran Member

I’m still pending. These are for 80% pistols built way back when. Hell, I even submitted photos for them. 351 days since submission. They are not assault weapons so I don’t know why this is taking forever.