Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 01-07-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Glock sear problem

I've run into an "interesting" problem... at least it is to me. I'm 90% sure I know what's causing it, but not so sure how to go about fixing it.

Symptom: Pressing the trigger does not release the striker... or worse, sometimes it releases after you begin to remove pressure from the trigger.

Cause (I think): I noticed that the sear is perfectly level (horizontal) when the trigger is fully forward. After pressing the trigger fully rearward, and the trigger bar is cammed down by the Connector, the sear ends up cockeyed; i.e. the right side of the sear (nearest the Connector) is lower than the left side of the sear. The height difference isn't a lot, but I believe it's enough so that the left portion of the sear is hanging onto the Striker lug.

Solution: Well, the "obvious" solution is to shave down the Striker lug a bit, but that's also the most unsafe solution and doesn't really address the real problem of the slanted sear.

Anyone run across anything like this before?

Thanks in advance.

Factory Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
P.O.S.T. Certified Armorer: 1911 pistols, AR-15/M16/M4 weapon systems, Glock handguns, Remington 870 shotgun, Sig Sauer handguns.

Quote:
"I just want you to know that we're working on it [gun control]. We have to go through a few processes but under the radar." - Barack Hussein Obama
Quote:
"If America wants to keep America's secrets secret, then America should store its secrets where Barack Obama stores his birth certificate!" - Heard on radio
Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Does this gun have all stock parts? Any trigger modifications already? Oem Glock parts are cheap. Do not try to modify the shape of sear or striker.. You can create a very unsafe gun rather easily.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Take the glock fully apart and put back together. That would be my first step before replacing or modifying anything
Old 01-07-2019, 2:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
I've run into an "interesting" problem... at least it is to me. I'm 90% sure I know what's causing it, but not so sure how to go about fixing it.

Symptom: Pressing the trigger does not release the striker... or worse, sometimes it releases after you begin to remove pressure from the trigger.

Cause (I think): I noticed that the sear is perfectly level (horizontal) when the trigger is fully forward. After pressing the trigger fully rearward, and the trigger bar is cammed down by the Connector, the sear ends up cockeyed; i.e. the right side of the sear (nearest the Connector) is lower than the left side of the sear. The height difference isn't a lot, but I believe it's enough so that the left portion of the sear is hanging onto the Striker lug.

Solution: Well, the "obvious" solution is to shave down the Striker lug a bit, but that's also the most unsafe solution and doesn't really address the real problem of the slanted sear.

This usually only happens when you have an overtravel screw that is limiting the travel of the trigger bar.
I have never run into a trigger bar that would not release the striker at FULL TRAVEL.

If the trigger bar won't release the striker at full travel, the tab on the trigger bar needs to be lowered.
Do NOT shorten the tab on the striker.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 01-07-2019, 4:43 PM
Veteran Member

You have some amazingly ****ty aftermarket (or really damaged factory) parts if the trigger bar can't cam down the less than fifty or sixty thousanths of an inch the trigger bar engages the striker.
Old 01-07-2019, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Presuming this is a real Glock and not some 80% build, put ALL the stock parts back in. That WILL fix your issue.

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-09-2019, 8:38 PM

Return it to stock and it will run.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

Thanks in advance.

Take out the zev fanboy parts and go back to oem

Building guns is not for you. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1210829

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Problem resolved. The true underlying cause turned out to be operator error... times two. First, the issuee allegedly (i.e. claims no wrong doing) took it upon himself/herself to dismantle the pistol and assembled it incorrectly. Second, I don't know where the hell my mind was at the time, but I failed to notice it the first time I inspected it. Trigger spring was misaligned and kinked. New trigger spring, correct installation, problem resolved. Closest explanation I can find on the web is here: https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/im....1540020/print though obviously the symptoms were quite different.

To those who genuinely tried to help solve this problem, I thank you. You are a true asset to CalGuns and the shooting community in general.

Factory Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
P.O.S.T. Certified Armorer: 1911 pistols, AR-15/M16/M4 weapon systems, Glock handguns, Remington 870 shotgun, Sig Sauer handguns.

Quote:
"I just want you to know that we're working on it [gun control]. We have to go through a few processes but under the radar." - Barack Hussein Obama
Quote:
"If America wants to keep America's secrets secret, then America should store its secrets where Barack Obama stores his birth certificate!" - Heard on radio
Old 02-08-2019, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

Well done.,,,
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-08-2019, 8:46 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Never mind. Just saw that you figured it out.
Old 02-10-2019, 5:17 AM

Bullwinkle, good work. And thanks for getting back to us with your fix.