Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-21-2018, 8:31 PM

Default New Stan Chen Magwells

Came across a post on Instagram that peaked my interest. Looks like Stan Chen is now offering a drop in one piece magwell for the home 1911 enthusiast.

https://store.chencustom.com/Default.asp

These look to be a lot nicer than the S&A variants. I also liked the fact that it accommodates normal width grips...oh and you donít need to chop your frame! If you look at some of the one piece offerings from Nighthawk and Kimber, they are machined for thin grips and the grips overhangs the magwell. YMMV on perceived aesthetics.

Theyíre also knocking off $55 right now which I thought was a pretty nice savings. Iíll post photos after StanChenaclaus leaves one in my stocking.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:03 PM

looks very nice and no doubt a great deal. Stan sure makes some beautiful guns, wish i had the extra cash
Old 12-22-2018, 6:59 PM

wow, this one looks nice and cheap.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

I have one and it is indeed worthy of the Stan Chen brand.

However, I tried installing it in my Dan Wesson Valor, and because it is made slightly oversized, it won't just slide in like a typical mainspring housing, but needed some material removal, and even then I had to beat it in with a gunsmithing hammer. After installation there was a noticeable gap from the top of the magwell to the bottom of the frame, but the transition from the inside of the magwell to the frame is nice. After all said and done, I decided not to use this part in the Valor, but will reserve it for another frame or gun. By the way, I didn't just beat it in until the holes lined up, but rather as far as I could go (but the holes were in alignment), and the gap was still there.

If you are able, I'd suggest getting the version without the mainspring housing pin hole already drilled, so you can get the tightest fit, but even then, I'm not certain if you will get rid of the gap. I'm going to take some pictures and talk to Stan about it, after I try it in several more 1911s.
Old 01-03-2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklin1297 View Post
However, I tried installing it in my Dan Wesson Valor, and because it is made slightly oversized, it won't just slide in like a typical mainspring housing, but needed some material removal, and even then I had to beat it in with a gunsmithing hammer.
I had the same issue on my 9mm Valor. Once I "coaxed" it on the gun (with a bit of persuasion), the front of the chute extended a bit beyond the mag cut out on the front strap, leaving a bit of overhang. I didn't particularly like the look so I decided to install it on my DW A2 Commander. It's a nice fit and workmanship is typical Stan Chen.

Last edited by D1911; 01-03-2019 at 3:59 PM..
Old 01-03-2019, 9:27 PM

Turned out real nice D1911. Naturally, I went to order a blued one the other day and they were sold out. SH&%!

I was going to snug one up on Baer. Pklin1297, I might go your route and get the chute without the pin hole pre-drilled.
Old 01-04-2019, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShot View Post
Turned out real nice D1911. Naturally, I went to order a blued one the other day and they were sold out. SH&%!

I was going to snug one up on Baer. Pklin1297, I might go your route and get the chute without the pin hole pre-drilled.

I'm going to try it on my Baer also, but it won't stay on there since the Baer is blued, and the magwell is stainless.

It is still a great part. The fact that Stan spent the time to research all the different frame specs and made the biggest funnel that can work with as many frame contours as possible speaks volumes for his work. If you have the means though, a Chen Gen 2 magwell is still the final answer, for me anyway.