Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2018, 8:41 AM

Default Shooting range in East bay (Concord-Pittsburg Area)

With the closure of Concord shooting range, where do you guys go for target practice shooting (indoor or outdoor - no membership)? Maybe closer to Concord where I can bring my family. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2018, 9:00 AM
Hobnobbin' with a Goblin
CGN Contributor

The closure went down about three, maybe four years ago if I'm not mistaken.
Richmond would be the nearest range that's about a 30-45min drive for you from "The Range Formally Known As USI rifle and pistol range".
Hundreds, thousands have sought out alternative range accommodations after
infighting, bickering, and outright buffoonery ensued.
-g
Old 09-02-2018, 9:18 AM

Thereís also a range in Livermore, Iíve only been there once, too many silly rules imo but itís another east bay option for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-02-2018, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member

Indoor range in Dublin I've never been so can't say if it is worthwhile. Indoor range in Tracy, haven't been since the new owner's took over operation. I've heard it's a bit pricey though.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:41 PM

I don't do indoor ranges personally. With the closing of Chabot there aren't many. Richmond Rod & Gun Club. Never been to the facility in Livermore but I know there is one. Then there's Metcalf in San Jose.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:11 PM

Thank you all. I think I'll try the Richmond. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:10 AM

Also San Leandro.

In terms of relative location in the East Bay:

San Leandro - south (indoor/outdoor0
Milpitas- further south (indoor)
Martinez - north (outdoor - trap/skeet/5gun only)
Richmond - northwest (outdoor)
Dublin - southeast (indoor)
Livermore - further east (outdoor)
Tracy - much further east (indoor)

Note: I would not recommend the Dublin location at Guns Fishing & Other Stuff. Range hs are irregular; never know when it's open. Other locations I'd recommend but that are very far away from the East Bay:

Linden - 18 miles east of Stockton (outdoor - 100/200 yard public ranges)
Sac Valley - 30 miles southeast of Sac/50 miles north of Stockton (outdoor 100 to 300 yard public ranges; 300-1000 yrd ranges for members)

Personally, these are currently my favorites:

Tracy -- For handgun (and/or sighting in rifles) at 25 yards or less
Linden -- For rifles @ 50/100/200
Sac Valley - For rifles @ 100/200/300 and 22LR silhouette shooting @ 25/50
Martinez - Trap

Special note: Livermore - Not my favorite for anything BUT will shoot there when no other place is open and I need to zero a rifle scope at 50/100 yds. Use to shoot at Livermore all the time but just find that, while their aggressive rule enforcement makes the range "safe" for everyone (no complaints about that), it also makes shooting there less enjoyable than shooting elsewhere. So, I avoid shooting at Livermore unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by sgt1372; 09-04-2018 at 12:53 AM..
Old 09-03-2018, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Livermore is my favorite place to shoot. Outdoors and plenty of lanes/stalls.
Yes, they have their rules, but so does everyone. Learn to abide by those rules and you're good. Dublin is the closest to me (except Richmond). Dublin is nice since there's no cease fire and you can change your targets at will and vary the range you're shooting at. They don't mind if you speed up your pace a bit as long as you're not doing anything stupid. Just no crazy fast mag dumps etc and you'll be o.k. They do have a lot of lane closures. Hopefully, it'll be better as they closed their ranges today (9/2) in order to repair them.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-03-2018, 2:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
Thereís also a range in Livermore, Iíve only been there once, too many silly rules imo but itís another east bay option for you

Rules are necessary because "silly" shooters muzzle-sweep,
uncase their weapon pointed at their belly, draw from the
bench like a Bruce Willis movie, approach the bench during a
ceasefire right after "do not approach the bench" announcement,
shoot the target stands and bases, bring in weapons and gear
to the counter when there are BIG signs instructing to get
assigned a bench first, and generally devoid of common sense.

Okay?

1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-03-2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post

Okay?

Sure

Doesnít apply to only shooting from sitting position or not shooting any target except a bullseye apparently zombies or animals are too scary for Livermore

Old 09-03-2018, 3:30 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post

Okay?
As a long time shooter (over 45 years) and "customer" at Livermore (over 10 years), I would first like to say that I have great respect for the work the staff (paid and volunteer) does to make the range a safe place for everyone to use. That said, there have been times over the years that the club has adopted policies that seemed arbitrary and lacking in common sense but those issues were usually resolved in time.

FWIW, I do not consider the range rules at Livermore "silly" or materially different from those at other ranges. However, the way those rules are enforced at Livermore is often done so in a rude and offensive manner (particularly by at least one RSO I have observed and have had unpleasant contact w/over the years) which is uncommon at other ranges and makes shooting at Livermore less than desirable IMO.

This is why I now avoid shooting at Livermore unless absolutely necessary.
Old 09-03-2018, 3:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

correction; some "silly" shooters.

1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-03-2018, 7:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This is why I only shoot at private property. Fortunately it's right near my house so I don't have to drive very far.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Heard some things about unpleasant range officers at Livermore. Figured with the heat and distance it might be worth avoiding.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:05 PM

Good group of guys working at Livermore. I’ve heard them talk to people before and they’re actually quite patient considering some of the situations I’ve witnessed.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post
Heard some things about unpleasant range officers at Livermore. Figured with the heat and distance it might be worth avoiding.

Its unfortunate with as few ranges that we have locally to have any with bad or rude staff or silly rules that drive people away from the range. We need ranges and gun stores to attract more and new people to the sport not the opposite

Old 09-04-2018, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
Its unfortunate with as few ranges that we have locally to have any with bad or rude staff or silly rules that drive people away from the range. We need ranges and gun stores to attract more and new people to the sport not the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverser View Post
Good group of guys working at Livermore. Iíve heard them talk to people before and theyíre actually quite patient considering some of the situations Iíve witnessed.

I similarly have not seen/heard any range staff do anything unwarranted. Iíve seen knuckleheads at the ranges though.

I agree that gun shops/ranges need to bend over backwards (esp in CA) to be ambassadors of the gun community.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-04-2018, 9:08 PM

I have been to Livermore twice now. The rules make sense to me and I appreciate them. The range officers took the time to explain why a rule exists. Much better than at Dublin indoor range. I don't enjoy someone blasting away with a shotgun right next to me, especially at an indoor range.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:05 PM

Can someone say what rules at Livermore are so unusual? I looked at their site but didn't see anything and all these comments have me curious now.
Old 09-05-2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMaverick View Post
Can someone say what rules at Livermore are so unusual? I looked at their site but didn't see anything and all these comments have me curious now.
I think the biggest complaint is you can only shoot at bullseye targets. I think one of the main reasons is the range design. If you are pistol shooting and shooting at 10 yards, any lower shot will hit the ground or a stand base further out. Yesterday a tall shooter was asked not to put a bullseye on the lower part of the supplied target because he was hitting too low further out, limiting him to the upper foot and a half of the target frame at 10 yards. A silhouette target would be too low from the closer positions. So I suspect a general rule exists, there could be other reasons too.
Old 09-05-2018, 1:53 PM

Iíve been going to the Livermore Gun Club for several years now. Iíve used their rifle, pistol and trap ranges. Mostly on weekends. I have wanted to become a member, but membership has been closed for a while.

They are certainly strict, but having seen some of shooters do some really stupid things, I donít mind. I am certainly capable of getting distracted and doing something dumb.

Wish they would allow zombie targets.

http://lprg.org/
Old 09-08-2018, 4:10 AM
Veteran Member

Just got back from an early morning shooting session with the wife at Dublin. Got there around 10:30 and there were only two stalls taken. Nice! They recently repainted the whole range in addition to repairs to the target hangers etc. Looks really nice in there now. A lot more light. I really like it now. Lines on the floor have been repainted too and are easier to see too. However, I think someone forgot to put the distance numbers on the walls...

All in all a great day of shooting. Dublin is also having a pretty good sale on just about everything.

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 09-08-2018, 8:05 AM

Sac valley is my go to since USI closed. I know there are ranges that are more close to me but I'll gladly drive right past them.

I'll add to the list of places that I have shot at minus the places already listed.

Yolo sportsmen association
Manteca sportsman

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Old 09-08-2018, 9:24 AM

I appreciate using the Livermore range and agree with the positive comments. Yes, one or two range officers are a little gruff at first but once they recognize you are following their rules completely they actually are very pleasant to deal with. I just assume they are dealing with so many jack*****e$ every day that they have to be direct and stern at first when they see a new face. Like others said, I would much rather shoot at a place that enforces the rules than risk my life at a place that essentially has the same rules but lets people constantly break them. I feel I can shoot there without having my head on a swivel watching for folks sweeping their barrels in my direction. And they must be doing something right because when I went there about a month ago and asked about becoming a member they said memberships are closed for now. Donít know if that is accurate or they just donít like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2018, 8:05 PM

I think NO humanoid IE zombies, monsters, obozo targets are not wanted.

Cause ranges have enough trouble with the anti's they do not want to be seen as training snipers or the next "mass shooter" etc. round targets are "nice".

most people do not look like a round circle.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:37 PM

I only shoot at ranges if someone pulls my leg to go. Luckily my cousin owns some private land about 20 min from my new house
Old 12-15-2018, 7:45 AM

I got into firearms (more specifically handguns) fairly recently, summer of this year to be excact. Bought my first gun and as soon as I picked it up after the wait period, I went straight to the Livermore range. It’s the second closest to me coming from Antioch. I was a little intimidated since, it was my first time shooting a handgun. The rules are pretty fair IMO. Told an RSO that it was my first time there and they explained the rules clearly and respectfully. They are strict, I’ve seen them kick someone out for muzzle sweeping multiple times. The rules are there to keep shooters safe and the range open. Personally, I’ve only had good experiences and I’m there every week since my first visit. The staff and RSO’s are very helpful. One RSO in particular blessed me with some great shooting techniques and tips. Too bad I can’t remember his name at the moment, but his coaching made all the difference in my accuracy and grouping. Such a huge difference from day one, can’t thank him enough. Not trying to sound biased but I can only say good things about Livermore/Pleasanton rod and gun club.
Old 12-15-2018, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerundio View Post
I got into firearms (more specifically handguns) fairly recently, summer of this year to be excact. Bought my first gun and as soon as I picked it up after the wait period, I went straight to the Livermore range. Itís the second closest to me coming from Antioch. I was a little intimidated since, it was my first time shooting a handgun. The rules are pretty fair IMO. Told an RSO that it was my first time there and they explained the rules clearly and respectfully. They are strict, Iíve seen them kick someone out for muzzle sweeping multiple times. The rules are there to keep shooters safe and the range open. Personally, Iíve only had good experiences and Iím there every week since my first visit. The staff and RSOís are very helpful. One RSO in particular blessed me with some great shooting techniques and tips. Too bad I canít remember his name at the moment, but his coaching made all the difference in my accuracy and grouping. Such a huge difference from day one, canít thank him enough. Not trying to sound biased but I can only say good things about Livermore/Pleasanton rod and gun club.

Welcome to the shooting sports!!! Itís great.

I love Livermore, but since itís so far, we hardly go there. Never had an issue with the RSOís. I have seen several people who either donít follow rules or donít fully comprehend just how dangerous a firearm is or how quickly things can go bad.

I have also seen groups of people who donít all fully understand English. Maybe one or two do, but the others do not. While I donít have a problem with them, I do think they should have more specialized instruction by someone who speaks the language. I have seen such classes advertised before and think itís a great service. Tough to get everything instilled while at a loud range while also having to keep an eye on 20 other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 12-20-2018, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I haven't tried LPRG yet... been meaning to since it's closer to Discovery Bay when I'm out that way. Given the amount of asshattery seen at some other ranges, sometimes strict rules are a necessary evil.

Sunnyvale Rod and Gun is a little farther afar from the East Bay, but it's a great place as well... minimum distance for pistols is 25 yards though... but they have steel set up, so that makes up for it.
#2A4CA -- it has begun! https://www.2aforca.org/
Old 12-20-2018, 4:57 PM

normally at any range if you ask a RO before doing something they will respect that.

Also helps they know your face.