Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2018, 9:20 AM

Default Any good San Francisco gun clubs or groups?

What's up everybody, new to SF. Previously from Sac. Are there any good gun groups I could join specifically in San Francisco?
Old 06-10-2018, 11:28 PM

Welcome to the People's Republic of San Francisco; this is a gun free zone.

Seriously though, there are no public gun ranges inside SF city limits, no gun stores or places you can buy ammo either. Kind of puts a wet towel on gun groups.

That said, Coyote Point Rifle Club Recently re-opened and are accepting new club members. I just joined. For non-members it's a 100yrd rifle-only range. As a member, you can shoot .22LR pistols on the weekends. The next closest places to SF to shoot are Jackson Arms indoors. All the other ranges are in the East Bay or Peninsula.

Inventor of Moodog D-Fog for eyepro :: Founder of NYCAirsoft :: NRA Life Member

Last edited by MoondogIndustries; 07-14-2018 at 5:03 PM..
Old 06-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoondogIndustries View Post
Welcome to the People's Republic of San Francisco; this is a gun free zone.

Seriously though, there are no public gun ranges inside SF city limits, no gun stores or places you can buy ammo either. Kind of puts a wet towel on gun groups.

That said, Coyote Point Rifle Club Recently re-opened and are accepting new club members. I just joined. If you're not into 100yrd rifle-only ranges you can shoot at Jackson Arms indoors or go further south or to the East Bay to shoot.
Yeah SF sucks for gun owners. However it's great for work. With that being said, I will look into this. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2018, 11:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pink Pistols?

1A - 2A = -1A
Old 06-11-2018, 12:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Liberal Gun Club?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:15 PM

San Francisco is very anti gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csZ5Ah4NcSs

Old 06-11-2018, 12:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hahahaha!
Old 06-11-2018, 1:50 PM

San Francisco is a ****hole.
Old 06-11-2018, 1:55 PM

Coz thatís when newscum did
Old 06-28-2018, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Gun Club in San Francisco? I think hell will freeze over before that happens.
Old 06-28-2018, 9:45 PM

san leandro has a sat night steel shoot for pistols that is a lot of fun I go every weekend. Newbie night is 1st and 2nd sat @4:30.

website has info I think. Need good gun belt with hard sided holster and a few mags with maybe 100-200 rounds ammo pistol only.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 AM

I was born and raised in SF but don't live there anymore; haven't for 11 years since buying a house in the East Bay.

There are a lot of gun owners in SF. Always have been but they are a quiet lot even before the City became so anti-gun. There use to be the Pacific Rod and Gun Club on Lake Merced (near the SFPD gun range) but the City recently refused to renew their lease and closed them down. The City also closed the Sharp Park shooting range many years ago and closed down (or refused to renew the license) of the last remaining gun store in SF (High Bridge Arms, previously Bob Chow's) just a few years ago.

The 1st gun club that I belonged to and where I learned how to shoot was the Coyote Point Rifle and Pistol Club located in San Mateo, which got shut down for year because of the development of the Coyote Point Recreational Area. The gun club/range was there years before the park, when it was just all dirt and mudflats but it was considered an inconsistent use and was shut down for political reasons.

Glad to hear that they recently reopened the range but public use to severely restricted (rifles only 3 nights a week) and only members can shoot handguns only on weekends. Their membership requirements are also now much more restrictive than any other club in the Bay Area. See:Coyote Point Rifle & Pistol Club Membership. That said the only public gun club memberships currently available in the Bay Area are in Richmond, Martinez (trap only) and Livermore.

You can still join a club at USI in Concord but the only shooting you can do there until they ever reopen the rifle/pistol range is trap/skeet and maybe 5 stand (if they fixed that range). Use to be a very active action pistol club (Diablo Action Pistol) there (I belonged to it) but it became defunct when the shut down the rifle/pistol range almost 3 years ago now. You can still shoot action pistol and 3 gun, as well as trap (not sure about skeet) at Richmond but you have to use steel shot there for environmental reasons.

The only other ranges open to the public (that I can recall right now) where you can shoot at in the immediate SF Bay Area are: Jackson Arms in SSF, San Leandro Rifle & Pistol in SL, Target Masters in Milpitas, Metcalf in San Jose (but closer to Morgan Hill), Coyote Valley Sporting Clays (shotguns only) in Morgan Hill, the Martinez Gun Club (shotguns only), USI in Concord (currently shotguns only; 22 for Diablo Action Pistol members) and Livermore Rifle & Pistol.

There is also an indoor range at ASP and Guns, Fishing & Other Stuff (GFOS) in Vacaville and an indoor range at the GFOS in Dublin but their range hours cannot be trusted; call ahead if you plan to shoot there. Same probably applies to the GFOS in Vacaville.

Further to the east, you can also shoot at the indoor range at Elite Arms in Tracy (previously Tracy Rifle & Pistol) and at the Linden Rifle & Pistol Range (about 15 miles east of Stockton). I use to shoot mainly at Livermore, which is closer to me, but mainly shoot in Tracy and Linden now. Much less busy and more relaxed in Linden because it is too far away for most people to go there. I like that just fine.

Livermore is not a fun place to shoot anymore IMO. The leadership at Livermore has always been wound pretty tight but they have become even more so since USI and Chabot shut down and the shooters who use to shoot there now go to Livermore making it a much busier and unwelcoming place at least at the rifle/pistol range. I understand that one of the rule changes is a time limit for non-members when the range is busy. Just heard about it and don't know it to be a fact but it seems plausible to me.

The last time I was there, they divided the range so that the pistols are on the left of the office and the rifles are on the right. There is no 25 yard pistol shooting unless you ask to set up a stand, as I did not long ago. The reason they no longer have a 25 yd pistol line is because people are such piss poor shots and Livermore got tired of the damage caused by lousy pistol shooters at that distance. I only shoot at 15 and 25 and 10 is really too close for me. So, I haven't gone back to Livermore since. Previously shot slugs at Livermore but not sure if they still allow this; they didn't like it much when I shot it there b4.

Haven't shot any rifles there for a long time either and don't know how that range is currently managed/organzied but, if you want to shoot rifles at distance, I would suggest Richmond (50/100 public, 200 members), Metcalf (50/100 and 200 limited hrs) or Linden (50/100/200 if you can qualify by shooting 5 shots on a 3" dot at 100 yds). There's also Sac Valley in Sloughhouse which has a 300 yd range if you're qualified to shoot that far; few are.

I've shot at (or at least visited) all of the mentioned ranges at least once. If you are looking to meet like minded people who may be interested in joining/creating a gun club/group, this would be where to most likely find them.

Last edited by sgt1372; 07-14-2018 at 5:22 PM..
Old 07-13-2018, 5:16 PM

Yep what sgt1372 said. I suggest trying out (action pistol) USPSA if you aren't already into it. There are matches in Richmond, Yolo, Linden (Stockon area) and in San Jose which a fairly new location hosted by the Almaden Gun Club. You just have to sign up and take the safety class (Richmond offers them but Yolo is the easiest to get into due to demand). Its a lot better than shooting paper and really fun. The people I've met have been really friendly and always great with first time shooters. Its a great way to network and meet other gun guys in the bay area. I basically do that for the most part and shoot Richmond most of the time since they offer USPSA matches twice a month and its a 30 min drive on a sunday morning from the city. USPSA opens the door to a larger world of shooting. I plan on trying a rifle match and may dip my toe into some 3 gun.
Old 07-13-2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
Liberal Gun Club?
You'd be surprised....they exist.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Thanks Sgt, that was a good summation of the area ranges!