Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 05-18-2016, 8:16 PM

Default need help! p229 front sights

i have a p229 and i decided to to replace the sights on my sig. had a friend help me that had a universal sight tool and was able to replace the rear sights but when attempting to remove the front sights it broke on us! sights were on there so tight we barely moved it, even tried using a brass punch and still didnt budge!
anyone have any suggestions? not sure if i should bring it to a gun smith at this point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5886.jpg (80.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-18-2016, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Your friend used the sight pusher incorrectly. It shouldn't be pushing at the blade of the sight, but the base, which is still on there. You can still push it at the base.
Old 05-18-2016, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak28 View Post
Your friend used the sight pusher incorrectly. It shouldn't be pushing at the blade of the sight, but the base, which is still on there. You can still push it at the base.
do you have any suggestions on a universal sight pusher? the one my buddy had didnt look like it was the greatest, really looked like it was from eBay to be honest lol it couldn't reach the base of sight and the obvious result is what you see in the picture
Old 05-18-2016, 8:54 PM

Where in the bay are you? I have a universal sight pusher also but it does mar front sights. You may be better going to a gunsmith. For me, I learned a lot of mistakes but I care more about function than the marks on my sights.
Old 05-18-2016, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Where in the bay are you? I have a universal sight pusher also but it does mar front sights. You may be better going to a gunsmith. For me, I learned a lot of mistakes but I care more about function than the marks on my sights.
I'm located in el cerrito, at this point i might just take it to a gun smith, trying to do research on sight removal tools without spending an arm and a leg and its kinda slim out there. i agree with more of the function on a gun but on my sigs I'm kinda anal about things like this lol
Old 05-18-2016, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ws6 View Post
I'm located in el cerrito, at this point i might just take it to a gun smith, trying to do research on sight removal tools without spending an arm and a leg and its kinda slim out there. i agree with more of the function on a gun but on my sigs I'm kinda anal about things like this lol
Yeah, gunsmith is your best option. I understand about being anal as I was the same up until I changed out my sights for the very time and marred the crap out of my front sights, then marred, my second, and third. The sight pusher I have will mar so I've accepted that and enjoy doing work myself more. Haha
Old 05-18-2016, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah, gunsmith is your best option. I understand about being anal as I was the same up until I changed out my sights for the very time and marred the crap out of my front sights, then marred, my second, and third. The sight pusher I have will mar so I've accepted that and enjoy doing work myself more. Haha
lol DIY saves you more money! more money for more toys! but i appreciate the help and advice!
Old 05-18-2016, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ws6 View Post
lol DIY saves you more money! more money for more toys! but i appreciate the help and advice!
No problem!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

I have replaced and adjusted sights on all my Sigs using a brass punch and a hammer - never left a mark on the guns, and the brass wipes off the sights when you're done.

You definately have to go at the base of the front sight on a Sig, never the blade.