Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2016, 8:16 PM
02ws6's Avatar
02ws6 02ws6 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: bay area
Posts: 51
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default need help! p229 front sights

i have a p229 and i decided to to replace the sights on my sig. had a friend help me that had a universal sight tool and was able to replace the rear sights but when attempting to remove the front sights it broke on us! sights were on there so tight we barely moved it, even tried using a brass punch and still didnt budge!
anyone have any suggestions? not sure if i should bring it to a gun smith at this point
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5886.jpg (80.9 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2016, 8:20 PM
smak28's Avatar
smak28 smak28 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 4,013
iTrader: 86 / 100%
Default

Your friend used the sight pusher incorrectly. It shouldn't be pushing at the blade of the sight, but the base, which is still on there. You can still push it at the base.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2016, 8:29 PM
02ws6's Avatar
02ws6 02ws6 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: bay area
Posts: 51
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak28 View Post
Your friend used the sight pusher incorrectly. It shouldn't be pushing at the blade of the sight, but the base, which is still on there. You can still push it at the base.
do you have any suggestions on a universal sight pusher? the one my buddy had didnt look like it was the greatest, really looked like it was from eBay to be honest lol it couldn't reach the base of sight and the obvious result is what you see in the picture
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2016, 8:54 PM
smak28's Avatar
smak28 smak28 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 4,013
iTrader: 86 / 100%
Default

Where in the bay are you? I have a universal sight pusher also but it does mar front sights. You may be better going to a gunsmith. For me, I learned a lot of mistakes but I care more about function than the marks on my sights.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2016, 9:10 PM
02ws6's Avatar
02ws6 02ws6 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: bay area
Posts: 51
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak28 View Post
Where in the bay are you? I have a universal sight pusher also but it does mar front sights. You may be better going to a gunsmith. For me, I learned a lot of mistakes but I care more about function than the marks on my sights.
I'm located in el cerrito, at this point i might just take it to a gun smith, trying to do research on sight removal tools without spending an arm and a leg and its kinda slim out there. i agree with more of the function on a gun but on my sigs I'm kinda anal about things like this lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2016, 9:15 PM
smak28's Avatar
smak28 smak28 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 4,013
iTrader: 86 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ws6 View Post
I'm located in el cerrito, at this point i might just take it to a gun smith, trying to do research on sight removal tools without spending an arm and a leg and its kinda slim out there. i agree with more of the function on a gun but on my sigs I'm kinda anal about things like this lol
Yeah, gunsmith is your best option. I understand about being anal as I was the same up until I changed out my sights for the very time and marred the crap out of my front sights, then marred, my second, and third. The sight pusher I have will mar so I've accepted that and enjoy doing work myself more. Haha
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2016, 9:29 PM
02ws6's Avatar
02ws6 02ws6 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: bay area
Posts: 51
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak28 View Post
Yeah, gunsmith is your best option. I understand about being anal as I was the same up until I changed out my sights for the very time and marred the crap out of my front sights, then marred, my second, and third. The sight pusher I have will mar so I've accepted that and enjoy doing work myself more. Haha
lol DIY saves you more money! more money for more toys! but i appreciate the help and advice!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-18-2016, 9:39 PM
smak28's Avatar
smak28 smak28 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 4,013
iTrader: 86 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ws6 View Post
lol DIY saves you more money! more money for more toys! but i appreciate the help and advice!
No problem!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 PM
SkyHawk's Avatar
SkyHawk SkyHawk is offline
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nakatomi Plaza - 30th floor
Posts: 13,090
iTrader: 152 / 100%
Default

I have replaced and adjusted sights on all my Sigs using a brass punch and a hammer - never left a mark on the guns, and the brass wipes off the sights when you're done.

You definately have to go at the base of the front sight on a Sig, never the blade.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:53 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.