Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-13-2015, 1:43 PM

Default $600-$800 for AR Scope

I just ordered a 20" 223 wylde 1/8. I've got 600-800 to drop on the scope. Like anyone else I'm looking for the best in my price range. Would love an illuminated rectical but not if I have to drop quality in glass to get it in my price range. What are some scopes you guy's have had good success with shooting up to 600 yards?

wts/wtt: All things Garage Door for Cash, Check, or Firearms. PM me.
Old 01-13-2015, 3:31 PM
Veteran Member

In that price range, the Burris XTR II 2-10X42 will have much better glass and turrets than pretty much anything else available. Digital Oasis has them for $678.84 right now, which gives you some money left over for a mount (34mm).
Old 01-14-2015, 7:29 AM
Vendor/Retailer

This Vortex scope has excellent optical clarity:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-v...le-scopes.html

Vortex has some of the best customer service in the industry.

Tim G.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 01-14-2015, 8:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Trijicon accupoint 1-4
Old 01-14-2015, 8:09 AM

Burris XTR II all the way. I was in the same boat, trying to decide on mount and optics for my SPR-ish build. had a 4-16 Vortex HS-T on there for some testing. Love the scope, have taken a nice Mulie with it, but definitely prefer the XTR II. Just moved into a new house, so forgive the background, but here's a snap of the rifle when I was trying out the HS-T.

ar15.jpg
Old 01-14-2015, 10:53 AM

Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 6-18x40mm would work well for you. its built for the ar-15 and comes with 223-556 calibrated turrets for super easy range and wind adjustments. Plus it will save you a bit of money and weight. Its not illuminated but is either fine duplex or mil dot reticle.

Here is a decent video on the mark ar scope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt6V-vFLpTU

Just zero it at 100 yards and your done! zero out the turrets and you can hit anything your 223-556 will allow you to reach with a quick spin of a turret
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...d-1-6-18x40mm/

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do you illiterate pawns not understand!?

Last edited by MauserMike; 01-14-2015 at 1:39 PM..
Old 01-14-2015, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauserMike View Post
Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 6-18x40mm would work well for you. its built for the ar-15 and comes with 223-556 calibrated turrets for super easy range and wind adjustments. Plus it will save you a bit of money and weight. Its not illuminated but is either fine duplex or mil dot reticle.

Here is a decent video on the mark ar scope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt6V-vFLpTU

Just zero it at 100 yards and your done! zero out the turrets and you can hit anything your 223-556 will allow you to reach with a quick spin of a turret
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...d-1-6-18x40mm/
Not to jack the thread,I'm guessing that's an 80 % lower.What is the black piece on the magwell?

Also ,I also have a Burris XTRii(like it alot)if your interested,contact Mike at CS Tactical( a vendor here)he will treat you right.
Old 01-14-2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG35 View Post
Not to jack the thread,I'm guessing that's an 80 % lower.What is the black piece on the magwell?

Also ,I also have a Burris XTRii(like it alot)if your interested,contact Mike at CS Tactical( a vendor here)he will treat you right.
Probably just a little magwell grip enhancement. Maybe some kind of Hogue piece.

It's normally just outside of your price range, but I did get mine for $800 on sale during new years, but I have the SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 scope on my 18" Wylde barreled upper, it's going to be used for multi-gun matches so I wanted the true 1x setting. I was just sighting it in at the 100 yd range, My point of aim was just some 1" diameter pasties on a shoot and see target, it was very easy for me to just put the center .15 MIL dot covering the pastie and squeeze. I was able to pull off about 3-4" inch groups out of a chrome lined 1-8 twist barrel and 55g ammo. Not bad I would say. Could easily take shots on a 12" target at 600 with good ammo. Only problem is that it is a MIL scope, so you have to know your holds, not BDC or calibrated turrets to make it easy on you.
Old 01-14-2015, 4:32 PM

I just got a Vortex viper pst 4-16. havent got to shoot with it yet but it seems like a great scope
Old 01-14-2015, 5:54 PM

Nikon Monarch 4-16, or Bushnel Elite Tactical 5-15x40 should sever you well, and you will still have money left for quality ammo and/or good trigger.
Old 01-15-2015, 7:37 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Another vote for Trijicon tr24...
Old 01-15-2015, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

OP, if you can afford $800 for a scope, buy a cheaper scope and see how that does. Say a Simmons 4x12 44mag. Only about $100. Then get your expensive bling. Go out to the range and see what details you can see with both. Do the around the horn test; 4 clicks down, 4 clicks left, 4 clicks up, and 4 clicks right and see if you come back to the same spot. I can only afford the cheaper scopes; $800 is 10% of my property taxes, so I'm not blowing it on designer glass. And you can always return the scope you don't need....
Old 01-15-2015, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewan View Post
OP, if you can afford $800 for a scope, buy a cheaper scope and see how that does. Say a Simmons 4x12 44mag. Only about $100. Then get your expensive bling. Go out to the range and see what details you can see with both. Do the around the horn test; 4 clicks down, 4 clicks left, 4 clicks up, and 4 clicks right and see if you come back to the same spot. I can only afford the cheaper scopes; $800 is 10% of my property taxes, so I'm not blowing it on designer glass. And you can always return the scope you don't need....
I'd actually go the other way.... If your budget allows for an $800 scope, definitely get the $800 scope, but be very selective about it. Research, research, research. Research some more. After all that research, you should have a good idea of what the best option is for your end use within that price range.

I only own a few mid level optics, most of my rifles wear glass that is extremely low budget. I build a lot of rifles. probably too many rifles, actually. As a result, the budget for optics typically gets cut short. I'm pretty happy with a lot of the cheaper scopes I've purchased, but there have definitely been some turds along the way. In the end, I don't think I've spent more money on cheap optics, but I've definitely spent more than I should have on replacing or just junking scopes that didn't live up to (low) expectations. The other thing about cheap optics is that steady feeling of unease during use, just waiting for it to potentially break or fail in some fashion. Stepping up the budget a bit typically results in a lot more peace of mind, at least for me anyway.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:21 AM

Also don't mean to crash this but would all of these scopes suggested be the same for a 308 ar? Or would you suggest something different?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler559 View Post
Also don't mean to crash this but would all of these scopes suggested be the same for a 308 ar? Or would you suggest something different?
I'm going to assume it would be the same suggestions excluding anything that has a 223 specific bullet drop calculation.

wts/wtt: All things Garage Door for Cash, Check, or Firearms. PM me.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Anyone know if any of those come in a Bullet drop for a 308?
Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The Optice Planet guys must be sleeping
http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-x...2-10x42mm.html

May have to get one for myself...she is a beaut!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG35 View Post

its an ergo grip brand magwell grip, rubber, have to remove the trigger guard to install.

Quote:
Yes leupold makes 308, or any caliber for that matter, turrets for the mark ar mod 1 scopes. they are a custom order thing for different calibers.
you just order the turrets with the trajectory of the bullet you want.

Last edited by MauserMike; 01-16-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM

Can anyone with experience with the burris xtr as well as the Leupold mark mod 1 6-18-40 please give their thoughts on these two. Clearer glass? Burris has ffp.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The Burris is Mil/Mil the Leo is Mil/Moa got your computer handy for conversions
Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Can anyone with experience with the burris xtr as well as the Leupold mark mod 1 6-18-40 please give their thoughts on these two. Clearer glass? Burris has ffp.
sorry i have no experience with burris other than a very disappointing brief encounter with a fastfire III.

as for the leupold mark ar mod 1 i have compared it against nikons similar AR line of scopes. the glass is much better looking to me on the leupold.

I have never had to calculate anything with my leupold mark ar scope due to the turrets being calibrated for 223-556 already. theres no thought to changing ranges with it. if your shooting at 300 yrds you put it at 3, if your shooting 600 you put it on 6. its that easy. no holding over under. put your sight right on target and let er rip. zero guesswork unless you like adjusting windage kentucky style.

Last edited by MauserMike; 01-16-2015 at 12:30 PM..
Old 01-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post
Trijicon accupoint 1-4
This is what MY next purchase will be!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
This is what MY next purchase will be!!!
no doubt a scope that will last forever and serve you perfectly. BUT the OP wants to shoot out to 600yrds and such, i wouldnt want a 1-4 for 600 yards

Old 01-16-2015, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If your just wanting a BDC Scope

Kenton has the best deal going!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1020905

Buy a Nikon Monarch from them and get two custom turretts!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
I'd actually go the other way.... If your budget allows for an $800 scope, definitely get the $800 scope, but be very selective about it. Research, research, research. Research some more. After all that research, you should have a good idea of what the best option is for your end use within that price range.
This is good advice. The first rule of scope buying is you should always buy the absolute best scope you can afford. There was a guy selling a SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 here on Calguns a few weeks ago. I was checking up on it to see if he had sold it because I wanted it so bad.. but I can't spend the funds right now. If you can find a way to stretch your budget to $900 or talk him down, that scope will take a fair sized dump on any other variable you're looking at in the ~$800 price range. It's a $1200+ scope when bought new. PM me if you want his name. Also, PM me if you want to buy a Beretta A300 so I can use the funds to buy that scope.

Edit: NVM he sold it. Bummer.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood

Last edited by Meety Peety; 01-16-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Old 01-16-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
If your just wanting a BDC Scope

Kenton has the best deal going!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1020905

Buy a Nikon Monarch from them and get two custom turretts!
that is a great deal for a great scope. basically you will love anything with 223-556 BDC or 223-556 calibrated turrets, and enough magnification for your needs.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Tagged and subscribed!

Thanks for the info.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 01-16-2015, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have the 3-15X50 XTR II, and have compared it against side by side against a Leupold VX3 but not the Mk AR 6-18X40 scope. Comparing against the VX3 (3.5-10X40 version) the difference in clarity was pretty significant, with a clear advantage going to the Burris. With both scopes set to 10X, the burris could clearly make out trees on a ridge that ended up being over 12 miles away, almost to the point of being able to count branches. The Leupold could barely resolve that they were in fact trees. They looked like gray/green blobs at that distance.

I think you'd need to go really high end with Leupold scopes to get comparable glass to the XTR II. Probably Mark 4 or even Mark 6. The glass in the XTR II scopes actually compares pretty well to scopes that are in the next higher price bracket. Think Nightforce NXS or SWFA HD scopes. Comparing against scopes in a similar price range like the Viper PST 2.5-10X32, 4-16X50 or Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12X44, the Burris easily beats them in terms of glass clarity and turret adjustments. My only complaint with the XTR II scopes is the relatively plain mil dot reticle, which Burris will supposedly be fixing later this year with the addition of more reticle choices geared for holdovers at long range.
Old 01-16-2015, 2:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
I have the 3-15X50 XTR II, and have compared it against side by side against a Leupold VX3 but not the Mk AR 6-18X40 scope. Comparing against the VX3 (3.5-10X40 version) the difference in clarity was pretty significant, with a clear advantage going to the Burris. With both scopes set to 10X, the burris could clearly make out trees on a ridge that ended up being over 12 miles away, almost to the point of being able to count branches. The Leupold could barely resolve that they were in fact trees. They looked like gray/green blobs at that distance.

I think you'd need to go really high end with Leupold scopes to get comparable glass to the XTR II. Probably Mark 4 or even Mark 6. The glass in the XTR II scopes actually compares pretty well to scopes that are in the next higher price bracket. Think Nightforce NXS or SWFA HD scopes. Comparing against scopes in a similar price range like the Viper PST 2.5-10X32, 4-16X50 or Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12X44, the Burris easily beats them in terms of glass clarity and turret adjustments. My only complaint with the XTR II scopes is the relatively plain mil dot reticle, which Burris will supposedly be fixing later this year with the addition of more reticle choices geared for holdovers at long range.
That scope looks like an absolute beast! I was hell bent on getting a mildot sniping scope that was more than what i spent building the gun, But then i thought to myself "do i even know mildot system enough to be effective with it?" my answer was "hell NO" as a civilian that has never had training with it.
I ended up getting the Fine Duplex over the mildot reticle because the crosshair was much more fine and less obtrusive against an object.

So my question to you Doorman, Do you have adequate knowledge (or willingness to learn it adequately) of the mildot system? To use it as effectively as a scope with 223/5.56 calibrated dial turrets? this is what lead me to only look at the nikons, leopolds, and a few other ar-15 specific rifle scopes. Rapidly and easily being able to get shots on different ranges of targets is what made the decision for me.

Old 01-17-2015, 7:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

In before tbose that claim you do not need a high power scope for .223!
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...d-f-tr-record/
Old 01-17-2015, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
In before tbose that claim you do not need a high power scope for .223!
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...d-f-tr-record/
hey, to each his own. no doubt it can be done, my PrimaryArms prismatic 3x facog scope has BDC up to 500 yards, but i would rather have at least a 12x power for that range. i mean look at all the acogs, specters and such with BDC and low power magnification they work great i imagine, Heck you can shoot 600 yrds iron sights. doesnt mean its ideal for everyone.