Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Default "Budget" Holographic sights?

I just bought an AR and I wanted a holographic sight. However I didnt want to spend like $500+ on an Eotech/Trijicon. I was hoping to spend a5 most $150. Anyone know of some good budget holo sights?
Old 10-02-2014, 4:41 PM

IMO you can't beat Primary Arms for the cost and they are easily worth 300-400 selling for $100.

They are incredibly durable, clear and customer service that is top notch.

Check them out.... Seriously... Many sizes and design's.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

I honestly think the Primary Arms Micro Red Dot is nearly as good as the Aimpoint. I own many and they have gone through thousands of rounds and competition shooting and they are still going strong.

I'll buy you lunch if you can find anyone with a LEGITIMATE beef with Primary arms. They are fantastic.

Last edited by SoCalGunny; 10-02-2014 at 4:44 PM..
Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

I impulse bought a Sightmark Ultrashot to put on my 15-22, and I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

It's got 4 different reticles to choose from (Have to re-Zero if you change it, so pick the one you like) and for $70 it's a nifty little EoTech knockoff.

I can't speak to how it will handle recoil as mine's on a .22, but I've heard they do okay.

What's it going on?

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 10-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Banned

Have you considered a used Aimpoint PRO or Eotech 512? They go for pretty cheap if you check the equipment exchange on AR15.com
Old 10-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

EOtech makes the only holographic sight. I believe Bushnell sold one a while back, tho.

I secon SoCalgunny on the PA sights. PA is putting out some great sights and they have awesome CS. Their new line of red dots even match AimPoint's battery life.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 AM

I put the Bushnell TRS-25 on my wife's rifle. It seems a great value for a red dot for $100.
Old 10-03-2014, 7:03 PM

For a true Holographic sight, you'll have to stick with either a Bushnell Holosight, or Eotech. I believe the rest are all reflex sights. Primary arms makes great reflex sights, if you're interested.
Old 10-03-2014, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

If you mean specifically the Eotech style of open sights and not the 1x tube red dot sights, then you don't have many options. Like Dannicus mentioned, Eotech is the only mfg of true holographic sights. The others, like the Burris Fastfire or Sightmark Ultrashot are reflex sights. Eotech's holographic setup deals with parallax better than reflex setups. So if you want something like an Eotech, you'll have to pay up for one.

However, if you also mean a red dot, then there are more viable budget options. Both the Primary Arms & Bushnell offerings come close to matching Aimpoint quality (close, but not quite) but at only $90 vs $400+ for Aimpoints.
Old 10-03-2014, 8:54 PM

The Primary MD-ADS offers up to 50,000 hours of battery life off of one 2032 cell. That's 5 years. They just released the optic last night. Mine should arrive Monday. For $169, uses T1 Micro mounts, at the stated co-witness for that sight. PA has a fixed AR-15 riser for $19. If you want QD, they have their in-house brand for $29 (only 1/3 co-witness available in QD), though I usually go for the ADM mounts for about $70.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...s_p/md-ads.htm

If you only want a 1-year battery life, (10,000 hours), and don't mind 1/3 co-witness or buying a different mount, try this one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_.../pa-aasdg3.htm
Old 10-03-2014, 9:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannicus View Post
EOtech makes the only holographic sight. I believe Bushnell sold one a while back, tho.

I secon SoCalgunny on the PA sights. PA is putting out some great sights and they have awesome CS. Their new line of red dots even match AimPoint's battery life.
thanks i was going to say i have not seen any budget holographic sights
Old 10-03-2014, 9:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Check out Primary Army

Have 2 of their red dots. They are great for the price.

Currently in love with their 2.5x Scope
Old 10-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post
I impulse bought a Sightmark Ultrashot to put on my 15-22, and I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

It's got 4 different reticles to choose from (Have to re-Zero if you change it, so pick the one you like) and for $70 it's a nifty little EoTech knockoff.

I can't speak to how it will handle recoil as mine's on a .22, but I've heard they do okay.

What's it going on?
It's going on a .223 AR-15
Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like Primary Arms it is.
Old 10-04-2014, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Just to clear something up, there is no such thing as a budget holographic sight... budget red dot sight yes, holographic no.
Old 10-04-2014, 2:27 PM

Exclamation Bushnell Holosight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Just to clear something up, there is no such thing as a budget holographic sight... budget red dot sight yes, holographic no.
Agreed. The only "budget" holographic sight I know of is no longer manufactured:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/326...le-mount-matte

It's on par with EOTech. Sadly, it has not been made for a long time.

As far as a good, high-quality/decently-priced red dot... what about the Bushnell TRS-25?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593...le-mount-matte

Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 10-04-2014, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGunny View Post
I'll buy you lunch if you can find anyone with a LEGITIMATE beef with Primary arms.
I love primary arms, and I think their stuff is some of the best available for the money, but you would lose that bet.
Old 10-04-2014, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunborder View Post
The Primary MD-ADS offers up to 50,000 hours of battery life off of one 2032 cell. That's 5 years. They just released the optic last night. Mine should arrive Monday. For $169, uses T1 Micro mounts, at the stated co-witness for that sight. PA has a fixed AR-15 riser for $19. If you want QD, they have their in-house brand for $29 (only 1/3 co-witness available in QD), though I usually go for the ADM mounts for about $70.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...s_p/md-ads.htm

If you only want a 1-year battery life, (10,000 hours), and don't mind 1/3 co-witness or buying a different mount, try this one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_.../pa-aasdg3.htm

MD-ADS = http://www.primaryarms.com/Holosun_P...p/hs403g.htm"] right? Oh..nevermind I see there is a whole thread about that.

is it 25mm or 30mm or 20mm? I never see that in PA descriptions

Last edited by agent88; 10-04-2014 at 4:43 PM..
Old 10-04-2014, 4:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
The only "budget" holographic sight I know of is no longer manufactured:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/326...le-mount-matte

It's on par with EOTech.
That's because it IS an EOTech, just rebranded and sold at a discount.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)

Last edited by strongpoint; 10-04-2014 at 5:53 PM..
Old 10-04-2014, 5:20 PM

Post They are different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
That's because it IS an EOTech, just rebranded and sold at a discount.
No, they are different. They are both made by EOTech. That is true. But, they are different. The Bushnell Holosight and the EOTech share many of the same basic components, but there are differences, however, between the basic Bushnell (similar to the EOTech 502) and the EOTech 510-series of holographic sights.

The EOTech 510-series (and later) has an aluminum hood. Plus, they also have a much more resilient waterproof sealing for the electronic components and the optics.

That's why the Bushnell Holosight is a "budget" holographic sight. --1911ShooterPhil
Old 10-04-2014, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

What's it going on?
I traded for 3 of the sm14000 ultra shots and sold two to calgunners. I've used mine on an ak with no problems. I
If you want something that LOOKS like an eotech without spending the money, they are a good in my experience. Haven't gotten any complaints about the ones I've sold either. They have a big window so are fast to pick up. If you want a micro dot, go PA though. If you want an EOCLONE for the range, they are a valid option.
Old 10-04-2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
I traded for 3 of the sm14000 ultra shots and sold two to calgunners. I've used mine on an ak with no problems. I
If you want something that LOOKS like an eotech without spending the money, they are a good in my experience. Haven't gotten any complaints about the ones I've sold either. They have a big window so are fast to pick up. If you want a micro dot, go PA though. If you want an EOCLONE for the range, they are a valid option.
I like the looks of the sightmark although there seems to be 5 or 6 different versions.

Some reviews say they are not brite enough to see in sun light.

The other complaint is poor battery life. Some use cr2032 and others use multiple smaller batteries.

I'll look specifically at the 14000

Thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:

What's it going on?
Those are LED-based WannabEOTechs. Essentially a red dot.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Considering EOTech has the patent on holographic weapon sights, don't look for a clone one to emerge that's not LED based.
Old 10-05-2014, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
No, they are different. They are both made by EOTech. That is true. But, they are different. The Bushnell Holosight and the EOTech share many of the same basic components, but there are differences, however, between the basic Bushnell (similar to the EOTech 502) and the EOTech 510-series of holographic sights.

The EOTech 510-series (and later) has an aluminum hood. Plus, they also have a much more resilient waterproof sealing for the electronic components and the optics.

That's why the Bushnell Holosight is a "budget" holographic sight. --1911ShooterPhil
So I didn't say anything that was incorrect, but I'm still wrong? Thanks for clarifying.

The point I was trying to make is that only EOTech makes holographic sights. The only one that's branded differently is still manufactured by EOTech.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)

Last edited by strongpoint; 10-05-2014 at 6:31 PM..
Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Calguns Addict

I remember those old bushnell holosights... from what i remember, they indeed use the same holographic technology from L3... but plastic housing and not nearly as robust in weather sealing as Eotech.

I don't think i've ever heard of any other company that uses holographic technology for weapon sights.