Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 03-02-2014, 9:04 AM

Question 80% arms

Have any of You guys used 80% arms EZ jig or their 80% lowers. I have always thought a router would work best to mill these lowers and I think these guys hit the nail on the head. Sorry I need to learn how to cut and paste. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM

DO NOT USE A ROUTER! You most likely will hit the dentent and spring holes for the fire selector and rear take down pin. It would just turn out like crap. As far as 80% arms, I have no idea.

"We do not forgive, we do not forget. Expect us."
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot0351 View Post
DO NOT USE A ROUTER! You most likely will hit the dentent and spring holes for the fire selector and rear take down pin. It would just turn out like crap. As far as 80% arms, I have no idea.
Not sure this comment is valid if you have not seen the jig.

I'm also very curious about this...

http://www.80percentarms.com/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig

http://youtu.be/SiHdV5slQps
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Calvin Coolidge
Old 03-04-2014, 2:47 PM

Have not had one issue using the easy jig. Use the mill bit, and router they recommend read the instruction and take your time.
Old 03-04-2014, 6:06 PM

Thanks guys !
Old 03-04-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteS/C View Post
Have not had one issue using the easy jig. Use the mill bit, and router they recommend read the instruction and take your time.
Did you use a lower from 80% Arms?
Old 03-05-2014, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenceo View Post
Did you use a lower from 80% Arms?
I have used three different lowers, 80%, TM, and JL Billet lower. Due to the slightly different designs of the TM and JL lowers had to do a little machining around the mag release area to fit the jig.
Old 03-05-2014, 7:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJzwyIo4Sx8
Old 03-05-2014, 7:22 AM

the cuts he takes are too deep but with smaller cuts it will cut like butter.
Old 03-05-2014, 8:05 AM

How's the quality of the final product compared to cnc?
Old 03-05-2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecf View Post
I saw this utube previous to my post. I like the guy . A word of warning about router tooling and safety , when a solid carbide router bit breaks at 20,000 to 30,000 rpm You should be wearing more than safety goggles.Ive done drill press wood and have a few routers including the one 80% suggested. In 80% instructions online they list Your mill and bit numbers that link to McMaster - Carr site. So that part is done for me. Just awaitin on the more important parts. Thanks again , its all a process and I appreciate the experience I find here.
Old 03-07-2014, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06er View Post
I saw this utube previous to my post. I like the guy . A word of warning about router tooling and safety , when a solid carbide router bit breaks at 20,000 to 30,000 rpm You should be wearing more than safety goggles.Ive done drill press wood and have a few routers including the one 80% suggested. In 80% instructions online they list Your mill and bit numbers that link to McMaster - Carr site. So that part is done for me. Just awaitin on the more important parts. Thanks again , its all a process and I appreciate the experience I find here.
When a bit breaks they stop spinning. I've never had one move farther than 1/2". I've used them for 26 years.
Old 03-07-2014, 8:54 PM

Default Easyjig

I did two lowers and gives good functional results if you very carefully follow the downloaded manual especially in regards to the set up of the trigger hole jig. Not equal to a CNC. Also doesn't cost 10K to buy. Also very important to re-check tightness of endmill in router frequently.